Tue, Oct 22, 10:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:35 am)

Subject: Exporting/Importing

sheedee3d ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2014 at 3:46 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:38 AM

file_506906.jpg

Hello;

I am currently using Luxions KeyShot 5 pro...i know that its possible to import poser obj files into KeyShot...and alot of other file formats...and it all works fine.

The only thing is that when i import Victoria 4 into KeyShot...i import her as an obj file...and she will be without her textures...just the base mesh.  And i know that its possible to render characters with skin textures in KeyShot...becuase i have seen many examples on the web.  Only i dont know if its possible to export Victoria out of poser with her textures...is there a way to do this?...or must the textures be applied separately in KeyShot after importing her?... 

Bottom line...to be able to import Victoria into KeyShot with textures applied...is this even possible?...if yes...how?...

help is appreciated.

Thx.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2014 at 4:54 PM

Not sure if too many folks round here use keyshot as this is the first time I've seen it mentioned.

If keyshot is capable of importing FBX (which it probably is), and if you have the Poser game dev, then you can try that. As far as I know there is no other way of importing or exporting a model with materials intact, unless some 3rd party script exists somewhere. You would need to re-apply them manually if it doesn't read fbx. 

If you have zbrush, there is a zbrush-keyshot bridge coming with the release of zb 4r7 (for around $250). You might look into setting up a workflow that combines goz, poser, zb and keyshot. However, Poser still isn't capable of importing or exporting textures from zbrush via goz either, while DS is, so DS is also a possibility if you're not in the anti-DS crowd. In Poser they still have to be set up manually (cause Poser likes to keep it oldskool like that) 😉

Medzinatar ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2014 at 7:19 PM

Usually when people spend $2000 for an application it is because they have need for it.
Not because they want to play around with it and ask random people questions on how it works.

There is excellent documentation and support available from Luxion.

This is second occasion I notice you enquire of higher end program.

Previously, I see you claim purchasing Maxwell Render without a clue to implementing it.
This is not as expensive as KeyShot, but still around $700

You need to learn basics instead of throwing money at solutions.

sheedee3d ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2014 at 7:56 PM

Just for the record...

All these high end softwares that i use are trial versions by the way...i surely would not and could not possibly afford the ridiculous prices of these applications!...

that is also the reason why i can experiment with them!...

i just wanted to clarify that.

Thx for the help anyway.

Cheers.

Medzinatar ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2014 at 8:32 PM

If you have demos or trial versions then say such.
When I look at your post on Maxwell, it looks like you purchase because you say so.

I finally purchased Maxwell render V3…but the thing is that i am not sure what it is exactly that i purchased!...this might sound funny…well…it isnt. I hope that i have not wasted my money…as this was quite an expensive deal!...

Demos and trial versions usually have limitations, especially on saving and exporting.
You havew to let people know what flaVor of application you use to avoid wheel spinning.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2014 at 10:19 PM

@sheeDee3D: I apologize for Medzinatar's rudeness. Ask whatever questions you want about Poser in conjunction with any other software, that's what this forum is here for. There are several others here who would be happy to answer your questions in a much more polite manner if they know the answers. 

sheedee3d ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2014 at 10:39 PM

Dont worry about Mezdzinatar...there will always be people like that around forums thinking that just because they happen to know more about software then others it gives them the right to act like they are above other people...i am used to folk like that...they will always be around...its just part of the game!...

As rude as he might be...i still appreciate his help...and he does have a point anyway...

i should have come straight from the beginning and tell it like it is...i guess i wanted to make an impression that i can afford such software...but the truth is that i cant...and never will!...

And for this i appologize to this community...my bad!...

Yep...i am just a good old Poser and Daz user...like most of us around here!...

Its just that once in a while i feel like exploring other applications...and trial versions are a good way to do that!...even though...as Medzinatar pointed out...they certainly do have limitations!...

Thanks for the help any way folks...

Once again...my appologies for not being honest.

Cheers.

JAG ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2014 at 10:58 PM

Just a note here...PoserPro does export in Collada format...and Keyshot will import it.  That format usually exports the textures with it...but not sure about whether it will load them properly in Keyshot.  I want to test the trial...but it's only 14 days...so has anybody already tried the Collada format with it?  Don't want to waste my trial on it if it's been tried and failed.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Wed, 27 August 2014 at 11:54 PM · edited Thu, 28 August 2014 at 12:01 AM

With the release of zbrush 4r7, KeyshotHD will be $350, with an intro price of $250. It's exactly the same as the $995 version of KeyshotHD, the only difference is that it is speficially for zbrush. This comes directly from the zbrush forum announcement of zbrush 4r7, due to release this fall (along with the free beta of zbrush 64-bit). That's even cheaper than Poser Pro. 

The reason this is relevant to Poser users is because of Poser's GoZ functionality.

(Of course, there's no specific date announced yet, just "sometime this fall - which could be Dec 20th, lol. But the idea of 64-bit zb is what I'm most interested in, along with the new poly modeling features. I can only imagine what kind of awesomesauce that's going to be like. Nerdgasm galore!)

JAG ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 12:42 AM

Ambient Shade - you better go read that posting again.  The Z-version of Keyshot does not contain some plugins and features - something about importing --- can't recall the specific wording, but it's different than the standard version of Keyshot.  They're not giving away a 900$ program for $250...find the catch!

AmbientShade ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 12:51 AM

Quote - Q: Is "KeyShot for ZBrush" a full version of KeyShot?
A: YES! This special edition has all of KeyShot's features but is designed to work exclusively with the "ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge". ("KeyShot for ZBrush" is equivalent to KeyShot HD without the importers).

aRtBee ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 1:36 AM

Whatever external tool you use, my observation is that the geometry side of things tends to work fine. Camera and lights sometimes work great and sometimes don't work at all, and materials take an intermediate position. Essentially, the best use of those tools require you to redo the lighting and texturing, and preferrably use the (ligts and) materials that come with the pack itself.

This principle also holds within variuos environmens themselves. I don't use MAX myself anymore, but if I recall correctly one has to choose a renderer first and then pick from the accompanying materials collection. After that, one has an issue when switching renderer because the one cannot handle the materials from the other.

As a rule of thumb, most features which can be handled through the Poser Materials Room SIMPLE interface make a good change of getting transferred, although not even all of them. Any material feature which requires the ADVANCED interface doesn't have a change, with perhaps an exception or two.

This holds for Vue, Octane, Reality/Lux (I dit quite some research on those) and exporting to OBJ/MTL, COLLADA etc.

Diffuse_Color does, Diffuse_Value does not, Alt_Diffuse does or does not, from all nodes only Image_Map transfers but procedural and math nodes do not, and so on.

This external interfacing creates issues with those tools and method that build great node-trees into the Alt_Diffuse slot, or alike. EZMat, EZSkin, MatMathic, many examples in this forum, you name them. They are great, but not for the exporting part of the game...

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

ironsoul ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 2:04 AM · edited Thu, 28 August 2014 at 2:04 AM

Is the problem you can import the obj ok but when you apply textures they are all distorted (ie UV is messed up)

or

Is the problem the textures work ok but you have to manually apply them (ie the textures are getting lost) but want them to be automatically applied.

or

Textures work fine but you're missing the procedurally generated textures like specular and SSS.

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 6:14 AM

I do not have Keyshot but like most software, procedurals in one program don't normally transfer to other apps.

In the Poser Scripts pulldown there is a Utility called collectSceneInventory. It will put everything in your scene into a single file folder. Keyshot may have better luck finding everything if you use the files collected in that directory. Again; just a thought. I do not have Keyshot but I use this method to import info into other software.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 9:30 AM · edited Thu, 28 August 2014 at 9:39 AM

"This external interfacing creates issues with those tools and method that build great node-trees into the Alt_Diffuse slot, or alike. EZMat, EZSkin, MatMathic, many examples in this forum, you name them. They are great, but not for the exporting part of the game..."

This is a good point to remember for anyone considering external render engines.

Unless some skilled programmer has written a specific plugin designed to transfer poser figures/materials to that other engine
( Reality,interposer etc).

be prepared for what will likely be alot a manual work to get the texures even applied   ,to say nothing of them actually rendering correctly.

oh.. and collada& FBX are not always instant solutions when it comes to tranferring textures particularly on a multi mat zone figure like DAZ V4.

My website

YouTube Channel

aRtBee ( ) posted Thu, 28 August 2014 at 11:17 AM

Unless some skilled programmer has written a specific plugin designed to transfer poser figures/materials to that other engine ( Reality,interposer etc).

IMHO, very skilled programmers have done the best they could. The mere point is that specific Poser concepts are just not supported that way in the other format, and the info they need is not present in the Poser materials. The various renderers are fundamentally different, and therefor: so are the material definitions.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

jura11 ( ) posted Sun, 31 August 2014 at 7:35 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Quote - Hello;

I am currently using Luxions KeyShot 5 pro...i know that its possible to import poser obj files into KeyShot...and alot of other file formats...and it all works fine.

The only thing is that when i import Victoria 4 into KeyShot...i import her as an obj file...and she will be without her textures...just the base mesh.  And i know that its possible to render characters with skin textures in KeyShot...becuase i have seen many examples on the web.  Only i dont know if its possible to export Victoria out of poser with her textures...is there a way to do this?...or must the textures be applied separately in KeyShot after importing her?... 

Bottom line...to be able to import Victoria into KeyShot with textures applied...is this even possible?...if yes...how?...

help is appreciated.

Thx.

Hi there

I've used on our work PC Keyshot 4.3,bellow is render which I've done,its quick render,took only 6.5sec to do so

You need edit/apply material/textures,just click with mouse on the Victoria and click on the Edit Material,then navigate to the Textures and you need add yours desired textures to all slots(slots are like 1_Lip,1_Nostril etc),I would recommend to lower Refraction Index at 1.06-1.08,at 1.5 skin is very glossy and reflective and doesn't look real

Thanks,Jura

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.