Tue, Oct 22, 9:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 9:37 am)

Subject: OT - Anyone Here Play a REAL Guitar?

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 7:02 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 9:03 AM

Are there any Poser-using guitar players here?

Preferably someone who has played for a few years and has used various types of guitars and amps etc.  I've been trying to recreate the sound of a particualr guitar/amp digitally but I'm not having much luck getting it how I want it.

If you have a spare five minutes please listen and try to pick out what sort of guitar or amp you think it is:

Click To Listen

I'm not trying to recreate the song, I just want to know what they used for the guitar and amp combo here - especially in the chorus where they are just striking or jabbing at it.  I've tried lots of stuff, synths, processing, cabinet modelling, and although I can get a good representation of it (the same sort of thing), there's something not quite right about it and I think it might have something to do with the guitar itself rather than the amp.

Is it a special type of guitar or amp, or maybe even special tuning or something?
A technique used on the strings that does it?

Listen especially to the part:

Stand by my side
There's so many things I must tell you
Now I must try
To change the position and make you stay ...

It sounds like a nice thick distortion, but I'm starting to wonder whether it's the guitar itself because the distortion is sort of different to distortion I normally hear on guitars.   It's almost as if it's not distorted at all, just the way it sounds.  Anyway, hopefully there are some real guitar players here who will know what I'm getting at.

Cheers.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 9:54 AM · edited Mon, 29 September 2014 at 9:56 AM

See my avatar.

I can't listen at the moment, but if you give me a couple days, the ship I am on is pulling into port and I can take my laptop ashore and get a wifi signal. Then I'll give it a listen.

Not bragging, but I've played for more than 30 years. If I give it a listen, I may be able to tell you what was done (If it's a studio track, it's more than likely the guitars are double and triple tracked, each track with a different guitar and amp setup. Can make it hard to decifer, but I will give it an honest shot).

EDIT: I have a studio behind my house with a 48 track mixing board, so I am familiar with how to setup amps and mics for recording.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 10:32 AM

That's awesome, cheers rokket, I look forward to hearing your conclusion!

At one point I thought it might have been double-tracked at different pitches, but for some reason I can't put my finger on, I keep thinking it's got something to do with the type of guitar.  In the end I gave up and thought I'd better ask.

Might have something to do with the pickups even, but again, even if it has, I wouldn't know what.  It's not as if it's anything fancy either, it's just a nice rounded distortion sound I'm trying to understand better.  When you try it, tell me what combo you reckon it is, the guitar and amp as well as any technique you suspect was used.

Cheers.

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 10:45 AM

BTW, Rokket, listen from 2:40 to 3:10 because that's really the only part I'm interested in 😉

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 12:38 PM

What I hear sounds more like synth than guitar.  Sounds that I can't get from my Gretsch. (Thank God!)

Doric

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

timarender ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 1:21 PM

I might guess it sounds like a humbucker pickup played through a Marshall amp/cabinet. Perhaps a small amount of a distortion. And with a small amount of echo (just a few millisecs delay). Some compression can then maintain the volume level (assisted probably by the guitar itself which is designed to sustain notes, e.g. Les Paul).

pumeco ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 2:54 PM

@PrecisionXXX
lol, never thought of that, could well be a synth, I don't think it is though!
There are obviously synths in there, but that's not the bit I'm interested in.

@timarender
Ah, Humbucker, those are the double-row ones as far as I know.  I've tried them on Marshall emulators but it wasn't the same.  They seem to give the right body but not tone if that makes any sense.  I'll have another play with Humbuckers through the Marshall modelers though, now that you point it out because you're effectively another pair of ears with an opinion on where to start looking.

Cheers.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 6:16 PM

One thing a lot of guitar players don't understand about recording is that you can't use the same amount of overdrive/distortion in the amp when you record. The result is a fuzzy, nasty tone. So in your emulator, turn that down and see what happens. I will try by Thursday night Japan time to listen to this for you.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 8:00 PM · edited Mon, 29 September 2014 at 8:05 PM

My guess is either a Vox30 or a Fender Champ amplifier. Possibly a Super Champ, which is a hybrid amplifier.

That song was supposed to mimic the ABBA sound, and ABBA used Fender Champs for the most part.The Super Champ came out right before the album was recorded.

The amps I mentioned were the most popular Class A amps of the time.

Bjorns guitars were customs built by either Goren Malmberg (the star shaped one) or Hagstrom Guitars. The Hagstroms were used the most, and everything about those guitars is custom. The combination of the pickups, bridge, and the amp give it that unique sound.

See the link. No idea why they don't list him as an artist that used them thou. He used more than a few of them.

http://www.hagstromguitars.eu

My collection of guitars consists of Goya, Dean (new and old), Fender, Ovation, Hondo, Ibanez, and a Hagstrom.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 8:55 PM

Yeah, I am a lefty, so the guitars I have are all custom made. I own a few ESP's, Peavey, one Ovation, a Washburn and that cheap Yamaha in my avatar, which is actually a right handed guitar I Jimi Hendrix'd...

Amps, I own a Crate half stack because it was given to me (I hate that tone), and Fender Audition Chorus. I play a lot of bass, so most of my amps are bass amps. I have two Gallien-Kruegers: the RB700 and a Backline 115.

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Mon, 29 September 2014 at 11:13 PM

the guitars used were gibsons

the amps were vox tube amps not cabinets but the recording style called for a seperated amp from the recording studio

they put the amp in a room alone with a mic to record it without the noises from the open studio

tellis makes a similar amp now that is lighter but not cheap

ive played bass since i was 11 and worked in a recording studio for a while

but all i had to do was a simple search on the studio sites

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 1:24 AM

Quote - the guitars used were gibsons

the amps were vox tube amps not cabinets but the recording style called for a seperated amp from the recording studio

they put the amp in a room alone with a mic to record it without the noises from the open studio

tellis makes a similar amp now that is lighter but not cheap

ive played bass since i was 11 and worked in a recording studio for a while

but all i had to do was a simple search on the studio sites

Isolation booth vs a live room. I do that with drums and vocals mostly.

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 1:52 AM

ok now lets delve into the different guitars that the man used and yes the list is long

his main weapon of choice was the gibson ES-335 which he used most of his carrer

but he also used a 1955 model d-28 martin 6 string accoustic, a james olsen 6-string accoustic, a fender squire, a les paul, a gild 12-string accoustic that was tuned to open c, and various telecasters and strts as well

the love of vox amps was lasting and was standard

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 4:07 AM

Listening now...

The first impression is I have to agree with the Vox amps. But it's not distortion, it's overdrive with some really sparse reverb on the track. As far as guitars go, any strat style body with 2 single coils and a humbucker should be able to emulate it. Using emulators might be tough to get this sound because it was recorded back in 1983, before digital media, and I am certain the guitar amp was close mic'd. If you are using an amp sim, you might have to tweak it quite a bit to get away from the DI (direct in) sound. When I was heavy into recording, I steered clear of amp sims and emulators for that reason.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 6:38 AM

Quote - the guitars used were gibsons

That is not the case.

Right here he is using a Hagstrom Swede 1, just as he is in hundreds of other pictures. The blue and yellow one he uesd on stage and in the studio, it's a Hagstrom as well.

The necks look entirely different on a Gibson. I can't think of a single Gibson that the head of the neck is shaped like that. Hagstroms even have a design in the middle of the head piece, which leads people to think they are Gibsons.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

Helos ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 8:29 AM

The sound comes straight from the studio and you'll never get on the track, how they've done this. I would recommend to look for another song/guitar player with a similar sound as e.g. "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake. John Sykes has a comparable sound and his setup mostly is:

Paula (Gibson) - cable - Marshall/MesaBoogie - 4x12 cabinet 

Look for John Sykes' gear:  https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11180.0

That should be sufficient for this challenge. 

Henning

(who's playing Fender, Gibson and Steinberger guitars with MesaBoogie Amps over several years)

ghostship2 ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 10:10 AM

probably double-tracked gtr and syths (prophet 5?)as well. It's too burried to really hear all that well.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

pumeco ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 3:28 PM

Well this has proved to be a lot more interesting than I was expecting!
A big-time thanks to you all for that 👍

So the one thing which seems certain then, the thing most of you seem sure about, is that a "Vox" amp plays a role in the sound.  Truth is I know so little about guitars and the associated hardware that a Vox could have meant a brand or type for all I know, but I checked and see it's a brand.  You might think that's funny but I tell you what, coming from a synth guy, some of your guitar stuff has really nonsensical names!

I almost missed out on a pedal I really wanted just because it was made by "DigiTech".  I'd never owned anything by DigiTech and had nothing against them other than the name.  But I was strictly after analogue pedals and was not going to stick a digital pedal in the chain under any circumstances.  Then of course I discovered it was actually a real analogue pedal.  I mean you really expect that, don't you, a real analogue pedal to be made by a company called "DigiTech".

:blink: :rolleyes:

In the end I bought their Death Metal pedal, in fact I bought two (one for each channel).

Right, I'm looking into Vox amps now, although I think I'd better clarify something regards the guitars that have been mentioned.  I believe you're all basing this on what Bjorn of ABBA played, but bear in mind the track I posted isn't actually an ABBA track, I believe it's from a project of her and a songwriter friend after she left ABBA.  It's funny really because I was in two minds of using one of ABBA's tracks to ask the question.

The reason I chose that one is because of the power chords really, they seemed pretty distinct and I thought it would be easier than using ABBA who sound good no matter what they do.  But yup, as far as I'm aware, the only relation to ABBA is Agnetha and the fact that it was released on Polydor.  I'm not even sure it's an analogue recording despite how old it is.  Just doesn't seem to have the balls of analogue to me.

If it's analogue I'm very surprised the overall sounds is so thin!

Right, I'd better explain what I'm up to.  Basically, I'm slowly but surely creeping back over to analogue mixing and recording.  I have proper hardware sequencers so linking them up with my analogue mixer and recorder effectively relegates the DAW to history, just like the good old days.

I want to do it a bit different this time though, so while I envy guitars and being able to play one, I'm not about to give up my keys and I can always learn a real guitar later.  The idea right now is that I keep my keys/synths, but I want to have a bash at guitar music by putting those machines through real analogue "guitar gear" and mixing/recording it in real analogue.  This is why I'm currently playing around with digital simulations so that I can get a better idea of what I need to buy in the real analogue version.

There must be millions of pedals and amps out there, all with their unique characteristics, but I don't want tons of pedals, I just want, say, two very versatile types of pedals (two on each channel) that will allow me to mix-up and get the sort of sound I want and allow me a good amount of experimentation to get other tones.

For example, the reason I bought the DigiTech Death Metal is because I never saw a bad thing said about it, they all seem to love it, and even watching documentaries about Death Metal, bands say that whenever they get asked the secret of their "big sound", they just tell them it's down to that pedal.

So that's what I chose, and I'm glad I did.  Thing is though, I bought that version for the ballsy full-on distortion it gives, so now, I need another to compliment it, and it's that other one that is going to be dictated by what I find out here in this thread.  See now that I have that aspect of tone sorted, I want one to compliment it, something I can stick in the same chain and tweak along with it and hopefully, along with the analogue recording techniques I have up my sleeve, I will get something like the tone I'm after (the ABBA tone I suppose) but also lots more besides.

To have the tonal controls to do ABBA to Death Metal and back again, that sort of thing.  Now that I have a better idea what to listen to and tweak, I will be able to look closer and narrow things down better.

I suppose my next question has to be, now that we know the amp, and if you were forced to do so, what other pedal (absolutely must be analogue) would you chose to compliment the one I already have if you wanted to have them combined and be able to give the widest choice of tones from mild to full-on?

Click for another example of the tone I like

So that's really "ABBA" this time.
Reckon that's the same guitar and amp setup?

Would be comforting to hear if it were!

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 30 September 2014 at 9:18 PM

The thin sound of the guitars is due to overproduction. The guitars in this track (which is synth heavy) were meant more to add flavor and to push the song more than be the main instrument, so I am sure they were eq'd to give them space, but were buried a bit in the mix, brought out during the chorus.

I agree that it's probably not Bjorn playing, but when you are part of band that was as tight and distict as ABBA was, you tend to stick with a sound you are familiar with, so the guitar may not have been anything Bjorn played, but the AE set it up to sound like that.

I also agree that trying to emulate John Sykes will get you in that ballpark.

Good luck with your project. I know that sometimes getting that perfect tone can be a real challenge. George Lynch is a self admitted slave to tone, and he has been trying to reproduce the tone Dokken had on their first album (which was recorded in England on British amps) for the last 30 + years...

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 12:39 AM

I just skimed the thread but with soundboards ,equalizers etc etc.
each one of us could get a diffrent sound from the same abba song.

abba is a long ways from death metal.you go from one exstream to another.

not that I think of abba but guitars just don't cross my mind when I hear the word abba.

the old rock bands really did not have a lot of recording tricks at their disposal.
iron butterfly - in a gadda da vida single version.
Humble Pie-30 Days In The Hole .

but Disco was all tricks & synthesizer no skill needed.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 1:10 AM

ok shvrdavid how i know it is not a hagstrom is simple its missinf the selectro buttons and has knobs

hagstrom ahd large black push buttons for pick-up selections and combinations

also the headstock is a custom shop version of the 1940s mandolin

now the infamous star design guitar was also not a hagstrom as may rumours would have one believe it was made by goram malmberg but hagstrom did make 2 un-authorized copies in glod that were used as prizes

now for the update in 1976 hagstrom did get with the knobs and selector switches but still were not used by any member of abba at least no according to hagstrom

now onto the effects question

if i was still on the road playing and was looking i would pick up the didgitech gsp 2101 pro with the foot controller

its a digital effects processor but with a tube pre-amp so it doesnt come off so digital and now can be had for about $300 or less

Helos ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 4:47 AM

In this video you can hear special guitar sounds and see how they can be created. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiuwVodWcj4

Maybe that will give you some clearing up insights. 

Henning

pumeco ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 8:18 AM

@Rokket
I'll check out the names on YouTube but I'm really not trying to sound like anyone inparticualr, not even ABBA, it's just that the tone they often have is one I wanted to be sure I could at least have a fighting chance at getting.  Their sound isn't just the guitars and amps, it's what the recording engineer did, but it's really just the guitar and amp part I'm clueless about.

@RorrKonn
Yes, exactly, Death Metal is the extreme opposite of ABBA, that's why I'm trying to limit myself to two pedals which, when used together, would give me the widest, most versatile amount of tweakability so that hopefully I can do anything inbetween as well.  I might want to do a DeathMetal style thing that has more of a regular guitar tone to it, or I might want to play something along the styles of ABBA but give it a more full-on Death Metal tone.  I just want to have the minimal amount of external gear I can get away with while still having a good capable setup.

@unbroke-fighter
Thanks for the heads-up on the pedal but it's digital, so I can't use that.  The whole idea of me making changes to my setup is so that I can avoid AD/DA converters in the audio path.  If were to stick that thing among it I might as well just stick to the DAW.  I love my DAW, but when I compare the overall output to analogue setups it's just not the same.  Digital is perfectly good at capturing analogue, but it's no good at being analogue.

The only digital part allowed will be the source (the instrument), but once the signal exits the instrument I want it to stay analogue as it goes through compressors, EQ, Delay, Distortion etc (all must be analogue), until finally it reaches the mixer and tape, which again, ensures it stays analogue until and during it getting recorded.

That's the only way I can get an true analogue master.  To get it into the digital domain, I have a fancy Yamaha AudioMaster CD Recorder to record from analogue direct to CD.  That's the only time it get's converted into digital form, directly from an analogue master once it's been completed  No further processing is done after the transfer, digital is kept out of it.  It's actually quite a cheap but very powerful setup, but I want some guitar processing this time, such as real analogue distortion etc, that's what's missing from my setup and I always appreciate music where, even if it's not a guitar track, a guitar helps it along.

I'm a synth guy but I do love guitars and will learn to play one once I can sit back and relax.

@Helos
That was a good video, I wish more of them would just tell you what's what and get on with it like he does, I enjoyed that!

I'll never be like that where the amount of gear is concerned though, there's no way I'm going to find myself with heaps of amps and pedals.  As far as I'm concerned it's like choosing a compressor, just get the right one that is all-round capable enough and learn it well.  That's the attitude I'll have to take with this guitar stuff.  Can't afford tons of stuff and even if I could, I wouldn't want heaps of pedals and amps.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 9:44 AM

for guitars

yngwie malmsteen ,jimi hendrix ,chuck berry

def lepperd ,iron maiden ,motlycrew ,kiss

pumeco ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 10:10 AM

"for guitars*yngwie malmsteen ,jimi hendrix ,chuck berry
def lepperd ,iron maiden ,motlycrew ,kiss"

So far, the only truly guitar-based album I ever bought was for my sister as a stocking filler.  She loves Def Leppard and Queen so I sat through a lot of stuff wondering what else she might like.  In the end I decided on this band, who at the time, were absolutely storming the charts over here.

Have to say, after searching for it just now and hearing it again, that's a really nice, meaty, "big-sound" they have there, really love that big sound!

Click Here RorrKonn - Bet ya like this one (almost guaranteed)
Some really fancy guitar playing in it as well!

pumeco ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 10:30 AM

Aha!!! ...  look what I found!!!

Was just listening to that track again (which is a modern digital era track), but I was thinking to myself either that's the most analogue sounding digital recording I ever heard or it's not digital at all.  Turns out they went out of their way to ensure it was analogue, used up 400 reels of tape and up to 1000 tracks per song - WTF!

Now you know why I'm not allowing a digital device into the chain - my god that sounds solid!!!

Check this page out - tells you about the guitars, amps, mics, recording - everything!!!

RorrKonn ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 5:19 PM

I did notice the wall of marshalls behind his solo in the video.
The darkness have the 80's sound down.

All the hardrock bands used marshalls back in the day.

aldo nova a killer guitarist with synthesizer.

nova's dreams is a long the lines of yngwie malmsteen.

good luck getting what ya want.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 7:47 PM · edited Wed, 01 October 2014 at 7:57 PM

Quote - ok shvrdavid how i know it is not a hagstrom is simple its missinf the selectro buttons and has knobs

now for the update in 1976 hagstrom did get with the knobs and selector switches but still were not used by any member of abba at least no according to hagstrom

I guess the pictures that you can clearly see the Hagstrom logo on them are extremely misleading.

The ones with the buttons are a different model, and also have a trem bar like this.

If you would like to tell me more about guitars that I actually own (or owned), feel free to do so.

This is what you referred to. Which isn't a Suede 1.

It is either a Hagstrom 2.

Or a Hagstrom 3

There was also one called the Sweettone.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 8:02 PM · edited Wed, 01 October 2014 at 8:02 PM

Read this.

http://artisanguitars.com/vintage-1973-hagstrom-swede-cherry-finish

No buttons, etc.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Wed, 01 October 2014 at 9:52 PM · edited Wed, 01 October 2014 at 9:55 PM

There is a mint 1970 Hagstrom Swede on Ebay right now!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Free-Shipping-Hagstrom-Swede-70s-CH-Electric-Guitar-3-Q-/151428336991?pt=Guitar&hash=item2341d50d5f

I wonder what the serial number of it is? They neglected to show the plug plate in the pictures. Pictures are flagged as samples...

Who would by that without actual pictures?

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 02 October 2014 at 5:25 AM · edited Thu, 02 October 2014 at 5:34 AM

Quote - ok shvrdavid how i know it is not a hagstrom is simple its missinf the selectro buttons and has knobs

Quote - I guess the pictures that you can clearly see the Hagstrom logo on them are extremely misleading. The ones with the buttons are a different model, and also have a trem bar like this.

If you would like to tell me more about guitars that I actually own (or owned), feel free to do so.

This is what you referred to. Which isn't a Suede 1.

It is either a Hagstrom 2.

Or a Hagstrom 3

There was also one called the Sweettone.

Hey David, that one in the last picture looks like she could use some love, she's rusting-up, how could you do that.  Never seen one of those before, with a row of buttons like that.  Never seen the arm done that way either!

Interesting looking guitars 😄

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 8:08 AM · edited Thu, 07 May 2015 at 8:14 AM

Was watching this video the other day, it's very cool, a modern-day tour of Benny's studio (Benny of ABBA).  Not sure who's the guitars are, but I suppose Bjorn's might be there as well as Benny's.  Anyway, couldn't help but think of this thread when I saw the guitars lined up on the wall - just in case those debating the guitars are curious.  It's a great video for gear if you can manage to keep your eyes off the Swedish blonde and actually look at the gear :-P

Anyway, I don't speak Swedish but I managed to pick out that the first one is a "Custom Ibanez" - or at least I think that's what she said.

• Guitars start at 2:14
  • OMG starts at 18:48 - Just look at the size of that big white Yam!

You should really watch the whole video though, especially if you like music gear (even the telephone has a built-in mixer):

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 8:40 AM

Sheesh ... I've played guitar for over 50 years and this is way beyond me.  (Only played electric for a short time, I'm more into the unplugged mode myself).  This is fascinating. :)

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 9:06 AM

Hey Boni, what model is that guitar gear at 15:46, do you know?  Looks like some fancy tube, so wondering if that had anything to do with their guitar sound.
Can't play the guitar myself, I can knock out a basic tune and strum but that's about it, can't do any of that fancy fingerwork (I wish I could).

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 9:58 AM

I'm asking some pro friends over at FB ... maybe they know.  I'll get back to you.

Boni

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 10:00 AM

"that's a Ampeg B-15N bass amp.." from a studio musician at Facebook. 

Boni

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 10:01 AM

Boni

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 1:22 PM

Wow, thanks for doing that, and thanks to your friends :-)

Shows how much I know about guitars, not sure I've even heard of Ampeg other than maybe heard the name long ago (but I'm probably thinking Ampex).
I'll check out some demo sims of them, see if they're responsible for the sort of tone I was getting at earlier.

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 4:42 PM

Please keep in mind as has been mentioned, there is so much mixing and effects in "Post production" and we Posers understand that, that it may make it even harder to pin down.  Not to be a downer, but you know you could contact the producers of the video themselves and they might share.  Just a thought.  Sort of the horses mouth approach. ;)

Boni

RorrKonn ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 5:44 PM

ya i bet it's a Ibanez.there necks are wider the strings are farther a part.

google/youtube
Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz & Boost Pedals
amps
soundboards
will get ya started

there's music web sites n forums ya could learn a lot.

all this stuff cost a lot of $$$ n time.

if ya can play buy ear then it's cool but if ya can't play buy ear ya will have a very hard time of it.

pumeco ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 6:26 PM · edited Thu, 07 May 2015 at 6:30 PM

@Boni
I know that stuff, I'm a self-taught audio engineer for well over 20 years now :-)

Even so, when it comes to guitar hardware units, I'm pretty clueless  Even now, I wouldn't know a Gibson from a Les Paul (I'm a synth man and I'm convinced the sound I'm after has more to do with the guitar itself - that's why I'm stumped).  Like most people into the engineering side of it, I was brought up mainly on DAW's (apart from early on and the last few years where I've been adding to my analogue gear so that I have a completely analogue system again - as well as the DAW (won't part with Cubase).

But you're spot-on regards post production making things harder to pin down.  It's like with the loudness war that's going on among incompetent engineers and studios right now (and has been for years) - it's just one big mush.  Funny thing is, it's a virtual guitar synth I bought that got me interested in the real distortion units the guitarists are using, and it's gone full circle since then, because now I don't want to use a virtual guitar synth, I want to put real analogue synths through real analogue distortion units (and master and record it all in analogue as well).  It's only the distortion units and the compressor I've got to get right now (and that can get seriously expensive), but at least then I'll have a complete system I'll be permanently happy with and can start on some completely analogue projects I have in mind - hopefully not too far into the future.

Anyway, I'd better shut up, people get bored with this stuff.
Boni? ... Boni? ... oh look she's asleep already :-P

@RorrKonn
I know what you mean, like I said though, change of plan now.  I just want the analogue distortion units to stick analogue synths through.  No point me kidding myself that I'd be any good at guitar, because I just don't have the same passion for guitars as I do for analogue synths.

But I do love guitars and really envy those who play them well.

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2015 at 7:16 PM

LOL, not asleep.  I love learning new things.  I can't tell a model from a photo either ... I can guess.  (I love the Gretsch blond 12-string they just introduced ... but for sentimental reasons and hea, I don't have $4000 for it, but I love my Fender 12-string acoustic that I got for Christmas several years ago) 

Boni

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 08 May 2015 at 1:11 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

file_bd686fd640be98efaae0091fa301e613.jp 

it's a Gibson les paul
like it's a ford mustang

I don't get what ya wanting with an analogue sound
ya want a old sound like this ?

Gadda Da Vida

or this
Union Jack  

I need to hear what ya talking about.

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 08 May 2015 at 9:34 AM

@Boni
Been looking into that Ampeg, have to say it does look like a nice peice of kit but to buy one is way out of my humble budget.  Just found one on ebay and let's just say it's price is in the thousands, not hundreds :-D

Not all is lost though, cause I've been looking at the schematic for it and it would be pretty easy to build my own if I wanted.  I'm having to build my own EQ anyway, the only problem building something like that Ampeg, is the valves, cause even with an exact replica of the circuit, there's no guarantee they used the default valves in their unit.

Fun stuff!

@RorrKonn
It's hard to explain it, it's a bit like describing a face to someone, they'll only get it if they know the face.  The most basic way to answer you is to split it into two.  The first part is the analogue, and that's easy, because to get analogue sound you have to use analogue gear, there's no ifs and no buts, despite what some of the loonies and software producers out there will tell you.

Analogue is analogue, and digital ... isn't ... that's the easy part.

The hard part is explaining a tone because unlike digital, analogue is organic and has no 'set in stone' limit like digital tone does.  For me to explain it to you you'd need to understand saturation and the difference between shelving and peaking filters etc.  The two videos I posted on the first page demonstrate it, but without understanding that stuff I just mentioned (or maybe you do), you would have no idea how the tone I'm talking about is present in both those videos.  I like the sound of both those videos you just posted, but I like them for different aspects.

I think what I'll do is just buy a Waldorf 2-Pole.  That's a very interesting box of tricks because it combines three types of filters, an envelope follower, and get this, three types of distortion in one box, and it's completely analogue, in to out.  It's not really designed as a distortion tool as such, but it's an incredibly powerful device and I've not see a single person on YouTube use it properly yet - even the manufacturers own video was pretty clueless.  I could use that as a distortion unit, wah-wah, filter, envelope follower, trance gate, and a whole bunch of stuff.  I think I'll just buy that and add it to my own analogue EQ unit.

Anyway, here it is (might even get it ordered today), the woman has a hot accent but she has very hairy arms - maybe it's a German thing:

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 08 May 2015 at 9:51 AM

I forgot to mention the CV input and even an LFO :

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 08 May 2015 at 11:52 AM

ya might want to look at some equalizers

the hairy arms belong to a dude so it's not her arms

pumeco ( ) posted Fri, 08 May 2015 at 12:38 PM · edited Fri, 08 May 2015 at 12:39 PM

There's no equaliser out there I like unless I pay mega-money for it, and even then they're not the exact spec I want - so it's easier and a heck of a lot cheaper to build my own.  Already designed it and SPICE-tested it, just haven't got around to soldering it all up yet.  Basically it's just going to be a stereo analogue 3-Band (Bass Mid Treble), but it will be a shelving EQ with the valleys tuned exactly where I want them, and there'll be a lot more gain than a standard commercial EQ.  Yup, she's gonna be a big chunk of rack-mounted alumminium with three big knobs on.

Regards the hairy woman being a man: thanks for pointing that out, not so sure the YouTubers would believe you though, in fact looking at the comments I think they'd be bloody disappointed if they found out it was a man - lol

file_5fd0b37cd7dbbb00f97ba6ce92bf5add.jp

pumeco ( ) posted Sat, 16 May 2015 at 9:13 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

NAKED WOMEN ON ROLLERSKATES!!!!!!!!!

shvrdavid ( ) posted Sat, 16 May 2015 at 9:38 AM · edited Sat, 16 May 2015 at 9:38 AM

Pumeco, I have an old Teac EQA-5 that is modded for a 72 db range instead of 24. I paid 5 bucks for it at a yard sale.

My Dean guitar is a wide neck design, and is very nice to play. It is my main electric guitar.

I use computers to do most of my processing most of the time thou, I also have analog equipment, but portable lends itself to going digital.

I just plug the guitar into the notebook, and HDMI to my TV with Surround Sound. Open the program and go.....

I midi the keyboard into it the same way.

file_a8baa56554f96369ab93e4f3bb068c22.jp

pumeco ( ) posted Sat, 16 May 2015 at 10:20 AM

Don't like Graphic EQ's to be honest, and I just checked out the Teac, it's only +-12db gain, would be absolutely useless to me.
On the plus side, I like the look of the guitar, looks nice, and I like the retro wall-covering - love that stuff.

I wish it was still possible to buy it exactly the same as it used to be, looks very 70's!
BTW, what's the keys?

pumeco ( ) posted Tue, 19 May 2015 at 12:10 PM

I just figured it out, how they got that tone; it's a filter on the guitar mixed with a wave, a square one from the sounds of it.
I thought it was odd, although it sounds like distortion, it really isn't.

Duh!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.