Tue, Sep 24, 4:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 4:08 pm)

Subject: Character Axis rotation changes

Seaking406 ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2014 at 7:55 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 4:30 PM

Greetings, this may be a simple fix but I'm stumped and can't find anything in the forum or elsewhere to resolve this issue in PP2014.I apologize if my terminology isn't correct so please bear with me.

When I have a character created and loaded, I would click on the body to rotate the character on the vertical axis (spin the character in place). Later on when I return to continue with the project with the same character, it will often happen that when I try to spin the character on the vertical axis it will now act like it is swinging around a large invisible ball.. (instead of spinning on it's toes in the middle of the room it will now swing around the whole scene facing outward for example..) Something had changed between when I closed the program and restarted it later on. Once this happens there is nothing I can do but to recreate the character from scratch in order to make is spin on the spot. Selecting 'hip' instead of the body kinda helps in crunch but now orients the body in such a weird way that I spend more time fighting the poses instead of getting anything done.

Rebooting the PC, restarting PP2014 and reloading the current characters does nothing to remedy the problem.

has anyone encountered this or know what it is that I am doing wrong in order to resolve this irritating issue?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

dnstuefloten ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2014 at 9:12 PM

I believe figures have a kind of center-of-gravity which, if moved, would cause what you describe...figures revolve around this center and it can be mistakenly moved.

Poser Pro 2014

My personal website: Novels, photos, video, sculptures and more
Evidence of a Lost City: An animated movie and novel, in progress
Hag: A novel and live-action movie

Seaking406 ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2014 at 9:39 PM

In such a case, how does one move it back?

Thanks for the reply!

Tunesy ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2014 at 9:47 PM · edited Fri, 07 November 2014 at 9:48 PM

That's what happens when you apply x, y or z trans to the hip and then try to rotate the body.  Check to see if you accidentally entered any hip trans (maybe through a pose).  Zero the hip trans.  Then your body should rotate as you expect.  If you want to move the figure elsewhere in your scene do it using body trans, not hip trans.

dnstuefloten ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2014 at 10:48 PM

I'll look tomorrow. ..I think there is something under "body" 

Poser Pro 2014

dnstuefloten ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2014 at 10:24 AM

Well, I fired up Poser this morning, and using the Hierarchy Editor I found Center of Mass and something called Goal Center of Mass (beneath Body)...but changing their settings doesnt seem to affect the figure the way youve described. So I am flumoxed. But have a look yourself, using Window/Hierarchy Editor...maybe youll see something.

Poser Pro 2014

Seaking406 ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2014 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it's not the fix. I've fired up PP2014 and given it shot but to no avail.

When I describe the problem, perhaps I've not explained myself properly. Again my apologies if not using the proper terminology as I try again..

With the model standing upright in the centre of a scene, and with the body selected, I should be able to rotate the Y rotate dial and have the model spin in place. But what the model does is go around the room as if tethered to an invisible rope going around a fixed point in the centre of the scene..

I've checked the hip parameters and the X Y and Z are zeroed.

If I save just the character and load it back into another scene, the problem follows the character.. if I recreate the character (time consuming) the problem is not there.. So what IS causing this problem and how to remove it.. :/

This does not happen all the time but more often than I would like. It simply slows productivity down and makes it frustrating to work.

Thanks again in advance.

dnstuefloten ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2014 at 3:42 PM

What camera are you using? 

And is the figure parented to anything? 

Poser Pro 2014

Seaking406 ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2014 at 5:55 PM

It doesn't matter which camera is being used (I primarily use the main camera) and checked that the character is not parented to anything.

Imagine the character strapped to a large ball and when you rotate the dial, the ball rotates with the character on the outside of the ball, that's what it's doing..  When I select the hip (vice body) then the character will rotate on the spot, but this is only good when the character is full upright.. if its tilted or angled depending on the pose at the time, then it doesn't rotate on the spot like I would like it to do..

This problem is starting to appear in some of the newer projects I've started after trashing the previous ones with the problem.. Hmm

Allstereo ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2014 at 3:18 PM

Hello,

Sometime, I got a similar problem. The camera is not revolving about the character even if the "Orbit Selected mode" is on for the Body. To solve, I selected the Hip part as the actor, then I reselected the Body. This solved the camera issue, but if I rotated the character using the Body as the actor, it is not revolving about the normal origin as expected. It is probably a Poser problem or a problem related to the graphic card. The integrated Intel graphic card in my Acer computer stop working sometimes 

Allstereo   

Seaking406 ( ) posted Thu, 13 November 2014 at 4:40 PM

hi, it's not the 'camera' view that is causing the issue but the movement of the model. Instead of spinning on it's toes it sometimes goes 'orbiting' around a central point.

Whereas I create story content where there are more than one model, just trying to get the one model to rotate in place in front of the other now means I have to rotate it to the desired angle and then move it back into place in front of the other model.. Selecting on the hip is not always ideal because the hips may not be angled properly thereby causing the model to cant and lean in odd directions.

I still haven't found what is randomly causing this issue or how to rectify it.. quite annoying when it happens.. =(

cspear ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2014 at 9:48 AM
  1. Make sure you're selecting the whole body, not the hip, before rotating. If you are and the problem persists:

2. Select the hip. Look at the 'translate' parameter dials; if there is any value other than zero in there, that's the culprit. Also make sure that the Y rotation value is zero (X and Z may have a non-zero value)

3. If this problem occurs after applying a pose that you've paid money for, ask for a refund: there's no excuse for shoddy workmanship. The only scenario where this would be OK is where poses are designed to be used together for two or more characters (to maintain spacing and rotation relative to each other).

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Seaking406 ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2014 at 1:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have done all that of which you recommended but the problem persists on some of the characters / models I create for my stories. If I delete that character and rebuild it, most likely the problem goes away. I don't think it has to do with the purchased poses as this will happen on any pose. Somewhere along the process something is inputted into the character and everything goes bunkers. Even when I start off with a neutral pose, the first thing I do is select body and try the y rotation to make sure the model rotates on the spot. Later on while adding hair, clothing or skins, (even the items that have worked previously) this problem will pop up at the weird time and I can't make it go away..

I'm sure the fix will be a simple slap to the forehead moment thing.. "D'Oh" kinda fix.. but trying to find it.. ?

Same as some models have a green cross down by their feet that is somehow afixed to how their heads are moved.. If I tilt the head all the way back, this green cross swings out in front of her feet..  It doesn't appear to affect anything but show up in the preview screen.. not all models, just some.. but I don't know what that is or what causes it to appear. Just one of those things I've put up with over the past years.

moriador ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2014 at 2:06 PM · edited Fri, 14 November 2014 at 2:11 PM

It sounds like the origin got moved somehow. You know, that green x that shows up when you tick "display origin"? If you move it, you get a different center of rotation, which is how you get door props to rotate at the hinges, rather than swivel at the center. And what you describe sounds exactly like an origin that is a long way off from where it should be.

But how it would have changed in a character figure, I don't know. Still, if that's what's wrong, if you're using a Pro version of Poser, you should be able to fix it by going into the joint editor. However, since I've never done it with a complicated figure, I can't explain how.

However, in the properties tab in figures (or body parts, more precisely) and props, there's an option to "display origin" which, when you tick it, it appears. Untick it and it disappears. The other option is "animatable origin". If that's ticked, then it allows the green x to move, wreaking all kinds of havoc. Whereas, if it's unchecked, it won't. Unchecking it sometimes causes it to revert back to center. So perhaps that's all you need to look for.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

moriador ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2014 at 2:18 PM · edited Fri, 14 November 2014 at 2:22 PM

Ah, just checked it with M4.

If you accidentally move the origin in the hip, it will behave precisely as you describe.

To get it back, check "display origin" and "animatable origin".

Look for the green x.

Find the parameters in the hip called yoffset, xoffset, and z offset -- or something like that. Or they might be called OriginX, OriginY, OriginZ. You'll know they are the right ones because when you change the dials, the green x will move. If it doesn't, then they're not the right ones (and prolly shouldn't be adjusted like this). They might be hidden, so you have to go to "show hidden parameters" to see them. Anyway, move the dials until the green x is centered on the hip. If you go into the joint editor, you can also just drag it into place.

Then uncheck that "animatable origin". That should (I'd think) stop it from being moved -- though I can't think what moved it in the first place.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.