Mon, Sep 9, 4:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: IDL and You: A Practical Guide for Busy People :)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 9:39 AM

file_501082.jpg

How would it look in space?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 9:40 AM · edited Fri, 17 January 2014 at 9:42 AM

file_501083.jpg

UH OH! Artifacts - tons - and I promise you cannot get rid of them. This is accurate space station lighting - too bad you can't do it.

Now is xpdev doing space station? No, but with the small arc of intense light coming from the ground (pretty much), his scene is closer to space station than snow-covered mountains.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 9:55 AM · edited Fri, 17 January 2014 at 9:57 AM

file_501084.jpg

In photographic terms, the interior of the enclosure in that last image was underexposed by about two stops. To adjust "exposure" I can simply increase my light source intensity. It was 100%. Now it's 400%, corresponding to a two-stop change in my camera aperture. Let's pretend the first image was shot at f/8 - then this one is shot at f/4.

Now I have correct light levels for a nice exposure (as shown by the light meters) but my artifacts are really bad.

You just can't do this picture correctly in Poser.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 10:04 AM

file_501085.jpg

I modified render settings using D3D dialog - this is about the best I can do. The render time increases dramatically and if the scene was not so ultra simple, it would probably use more than all the RAM I have.

This is the IDL precalc - observe the density of the IC samples points.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 10:05 AM

file_501086.jpg

Here's the result. Not bad, but still not as good as LuxRender would do.

I will post the settings next.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 10:06 AM · edited Fri, 17 January 2014 at 10:08 AM

file_501087.png

Settings

The important ones are the four together: IDL Intensity, Bounces, Samples, and Irradiance Cache.

aRtBee ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 10:08 AM

yeah, and as Poser doesn't do atmospheric scattering, results will be like space station anyway :-). And indeed, whatever high value you put into the render settings, Firefly insists on making splotches in the right-angle corners. But as said, Poser can come close at reasonable resource usages (RAM space, CPU power, wallet power, user time).

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 10:12 AM

file_501088.jpg

A closer look reveals the artifacts are subdued, but still there. Certainly acceptable for hobby use, but this is not magazine ad quality and never will be no matter what you do.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote - yeah, and as Poser doesn't do atmospheric scattering, results will be like space station anyway :-). And indeed, whatever high value you put into the render settings, Firefly insists on making splotches in the right-angle corners. But as said, Poser can come close at reasonable resource usages (RAM space, CPU power, wallet power, user time).

Totally agree.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 10:27 AM · edited Fri, 17 January 2014 at 10:28 AM

file_501089.jpg

With those settings, my scene styled like the [Cornell Box](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_box) looks like this.

In my scene, the light fixture is a scaled Poser box, with Ambient_Color = white and Ambient_Value = 10.

No other sources of light are in it.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Fri, 17 January 2014 at 10:58 AM · edited Fri, 17 January 2014 at 11:01 AM

Quote - yeah, and as Poser doesn't do atmospheric scattering, results will be like space station anyway :-). And indeed, whatever high value you put into the render settings, Firefly insists on making splotches in the right-angle corners. But as said, Poser can come close at reasonable resource usages (RAM space, CPU power, wallet power, user time).

I agree.  Most users won't care, or notice.  I've read so many people suggesting that Poser's Firefly can create images as good as Luxrender or Octane, so the flawed IDL implimentation in Firefly seems to be "good enough" in many people's eyes.  The problem technically seems to be inaccurate interpolation sampling, and Poser does not offer the exposed settngs to refine this beyond the overly simplified render settings in Firefly.  There should be far deeper control over the irradiance solution exposed in the render settings. Certainly in the "Pro" version of Poser.  The render settings available in PoserPro need a much deeper level of control exposed to the user.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

xpdev ( ) posted Sat, 18 January 2014 at 12:32 AM

more and more interesting discussion

Poser Pro 2014 SR 1 on Windows 7 64 bit
I use IDL, Gamma Correction and EZSkin for all final renders.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Sun, 19 January 2014 at 9:12 AM

depressing.  i've been waiting all night for an idl render with Snarly's metals in the scene 

that cornell box is interesting.

found the page with the photo of the box http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/online/box/compare.html

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2014 at 2:09 PM

has anyone tried the box in lux?

lux is the same thing as reality?

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

honzu ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2014 at 3:53 PM

Quote - depressing.  i've been waiting all night for an idl render with Snarly's metals in the scene 

that cornell box is interesting.

found the page with the photo of the box http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/online/box/compare.html

I like the difference image.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2014 at 4:21 PM · edited Mon, 20 January 2014 at 4:21 PM

Quote - has anyone tried the box in lux?

Do you mean anyone at all? Google image search says yes, somebody has tried it.

Quote - lux is the same thing as reality?

No - Reality is the scene editing/conversion utility to take a Poser scene, convert it to Lux, then render in Lux. Lux is not Reality, same as Reality is not Poser. They're all pieces of a workflow involving all three.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2014 at 6:13 PM

Not only has the cornell box been "tried" in Luxrender, it's been taken to a whole new level, with volumetric light, caustics, refractive materials, and the works. I'd like to see that attempted in Poser firefly, and see what the render times are by comparison.  Poser doesn't support physical caustics, so we'd have to forgive it that, and some other things will not be possible as well.

** http://www.luxrender.net/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=14532**

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2014 at 9:46 PM

I would like to see more on this discussion. I am playing with BB's render settings right now.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 5:26 AM

wheee. downloaded a box and spheres.  

blender is scary looking, but it has a bunch of render engines to test render in.

is it a better test to close the box?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 7:24 AM · edited Tue, 21 January 2014 at 7:25 AM

The photograph of the real box used as reference is not closed, so it's not better to close the box.

If you're thinking about all the many times people here say that IDL won't work well with a missing 4th wall, they're wrong. Ignore that.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 7:28 AM

file_501189.txt

I believe that since my version is made of Poser primitives, it is OK to distribute it. So here it is if you want it. Remove the .txt extension when you save it.

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 8:05 AM

Quote - The photograph of the real box used as reference is not closed, so it's not better to close the box.

But it is in a room, and in the link you posted the ceiling does appear to be visible at the top corners of the photo.  Is there a discussion anywhere online of the environment of the box?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 10:06 AM

Forwarding this link to fun test props  Thanks Mustake!

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 10:09 AM

Quote - I believe that since my version is made of Poser primitives, it is OK to distribute it. So here it is if you want it. Remove the .txt extension when you save it.

kewl!  Thanks!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 10:18 AM · edited Tue, 21 January 2014 at 10:19 AM

Quote - But it is in a room

Which by all absence of evidence on the Cornell Box data page, is not contributing to the lighting in a measurable way - one assumes that the room is obscured by a non-reflecting cloth or enclosure.

This page supplies detailed Cornell box simulation data:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/online/box/data.html

Nowhere in it is any mention of the factors of the enclosing room - one has to assume that those factors are 0.

Quote - and in the link you posted the ceiling does appear to be visible at the top corners of the photo.

Which link is that? The only link I see above in my posts is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_box

That wiki article does not have a photo - it has a render from POV-ray and I don't see any ceiling, so you must be talking about something else.

If, instead, you're talking about my render of MY version of the box for Poser, it has no ceiling either. The box walls and ceiling, however, are actually thick and have a front face, and also my floor is the Poser ground which extends beyond the box, and the ground shows light spilling out beyond the box, which then reflects back on the front faces of the walls and ceiling. If that's what you're referring to, then it's not a mystery that they're lit - nor are such lit faces present in the official cornell box which by all appearances has nothing whatsoever outside its interior boundary.

Quote - Is there a discussion anywhere online of the environment of the box?

I have not been able to find any, not even in the official Cornell web pages. Given the care and sophistication that goes into their testing and simulation, I very much doubt that you're supposed to think there is any environment contribution at all. Imagine if there was a contribution and they forgot to take it into account - would they not look incredibly stupid?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 12:13 PM

Quote - Poser does not offer the exposed settngs to refine this beyond the overly simplified render settings in Firefly.  There should be far deeper control over the irradiance solution exposed in the render settings. Certainly in the "Pro" version of Poser.  The render settings available in PoserPro need a much deeper level of control exposed to the user.

use d3d's FFRender script.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 12:56 PM · edited Tue, 21 January 2014 at 12:58 PM

Quote - use d3d's FFRender script.

You're talking about this script?

http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=render

Sorry, while that's a nice script, all it does is provide a more convenient way to access the settings in Firefly that are already exposed to the user.  There's nothing in there that will help fix blotches or noise, beyond what is already available.

I'm talking about deep level of control over the irradience solution, which would require the ability to tweak interpolation, and adjust raycast parameters.

Let's take the level of exposed control for the user end in something like Vray, as an  example:

http://www.aleso3d.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/vray-render-settings-interior-rendering.jpg

The ability to get a perfect marriage of speed vs quality is available to the end user, in abundance.  I'm not suggesting Poser users would want all this control, but we can not achieve good renders in some architectural situations, and that's problematic for advanced users, using Firefly.

This level of control is useful to achieve optimum results in most render situations, using biased render engines and GI.  Unbiased can be far more simple, but that's another story.

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2014 at 5:02 PM

Quote - > Quote - and in the link you posted the ceiling does appear to be visible at the top corners of the photo.

Which link is that? The only link I see above in my posts is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_box

That wiki article does not have a photo - it has a render from POV-ray and I don't see any ceiling, so you must be talking about something else.

Oops; sorry Ted, it was Honzu's link... 😊

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/online/box/compare.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

ironsoul ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 2:55 AM · edited Wed, 22 January 2014 at 2:58 AM

Attached Link: Next limit (Maxwell) - Photography techniques to speed-up interior renders

This discussion reminded me of an article on the Next limit site which appears to be trying to solve a similar problem (and suggestion of replacing indirect light with direct to remove artifacts) - added link in case its of interest to someone.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 8:42 AM · edited Wed, 22 January 2014 at 8:48 AM

Quote - This discussion reminded me of an article on the Next limit site which appears to be trying to solve a similar problem (and suggestion of replacing indirect light with direct to remove artifacts) - added link in case its of interest to someone.

Yes, except that Maxwell is a physical based render engine, so some of the techniques used there might not translate well to a render engine like FireFly.  Maxwell's "direct" lights" are far more realistic, and based on area emitter physics.  The problem they are solving is how to make the GI calculations faster, and more efficient.  In an entirely enclosed room, adding direct emitter lights in the windows, which approximate the size and shape of the windows, will accurately assist the simulation and calculation time, and speed up the render.  Poser's lights aren't physically based, and the problem is a little different, although this would be interesting to test with IDL and some object emitters in the windows.  I have a feeling, without the necessary parameters to tweak the irradience interpolation and other params, this kind of physical simulation won't work in Poser well at all.  There won't be any way to clean the results.  Using the non-physical standard lights in Poser will help, but the results won't be as realistic as emitters.  Wouldn't hurt to try though.

The technique provides a good example of something that might work well in Luxrender/Reality, or Octane though.  Worth a try.

aRtBee ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 8:53 AM

I have to admit that I completely lost track of the question between all those great answers around. Can someone rephrase the issue at hand? I'm not trolling, I'm lost.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 11:11 AM

this is what I got with bill's box.

FREE photo hosting by PostMyImage.com

artifacts not too bad IMVHO. did anybody else try it?

bantha ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 11:24 AM

With that amount of samples and basically without caching, how long took it to render this, on which kind of hardware?

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

aRtBee ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 11:27 AM

interesting.

16 threads, are you running dual Xeon or so?

pixel samples 8, that's 8x8 antiliasing. 3x3 would do I guess

irradiance cache OFF ? and still artifacts "not too bad". Hmmmm.

smooth polygons OFF ? and everything else is about high quality.

render time? 

And I still don't know the question behind this answer. 

- - - - - 

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 1:08 PM

question: how to grasp irradiance in poser.   answer: don't use irradiance cache (IC).  machine: ordinary imac from 2009, 2 hr. render.  was thinking of getting newer faster one to watch blu-rays, but old ones are fast enuff for poser, and new macs don't ship with blu-ray drives.  avoid smoothing these primitives when possible.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 2:20 PM · edited Wed, 22 January 2014 at 2:21 PM

Quote - question: how to grasp irradiance in poser.   answer: don't use irradiance cache (IC).  machine: ordinary imac from 2009, 2 hr. render.  was thinking of getting newer faster one to watch blu-rays, but old ones are fast enuff for poser, and new macs don't ship with blu-ray drives.  avoid smoothing these primitives when possible.

So without the interpolation (IC) enabled, Poser's IDL method is about the same as brute force Monte-Carlo GI methods in other render engines, except there are still render artifacts that can not be cleaned entirely.  Although the artifacts are minimal in your last render of the Cornell box, if one were to include additional geometry in a much more complex, but similar scene; with reflective or refractive materials, more sharp angles, and adjoining corners, the results would more than likely be troublesome, with render times not much better than something like Luxrender (depending on your hardware).  If we only had access to control the probabilistic subdivision sampling, we might be able to finness a virtually clean result from Firefly, but I don't think it's possible until additional parameters of the IDL sampling are unlocked/exposed to the user.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 2:37 PM · edited Wed, 22 January 2014 at 2:41 PM

theory: if orthogonal joins are micropolygonal and/or microbeveled, then it would work better.  possibly related problem with poser cone (P7 or P8), which was solved by replacing tip (apex) with tiny empty polygon.  it still looked like sharp point, but eliminated rendering artifacts.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2014 at 3:48 PM

Quote - theory: if orthogonal joins are micropolygonal and/or microbeveled, then it would work better.  possibly related problem with poser cone (P7 or P8), which was solved by replacing tip (apex) with tiny empty polygon.  it still looked like sharp point, but eliminated rendering artifacts.

Hmmm. Has anyone tried increasing the subdivision surface density of the geometry, in areas with concave angles and coincident faces?  Looks like most of the images posted so far are very simple geometrically, which you would expect to render good results, but might actually create problems.  Higher resolution geometry might force the raycaster to increase sampling in areas with concave angles and coplanar faces, improving the IDL solution.  Then again, it might worsen the problem, at the cost of even more render time.

I'm just curious if it would make a difference (for better or worse) or at all.  Instead of walls and floors that consist of 2x2 or 4x4 polygons, try geometry that's subdivided to 32x32 or 64x64 at least, and chamfer or bevel the corners of the walls, allowing more geometry in those tight areas to force more sampling.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2014 at 5:41 AM

is the color walls supposed to bleed into the objs' shadows too?

prixat ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2014 at 6:54 AM

Quote - is the color walls supposed to bleed into the objs' shadows too?

Yes.

Though technically the colours are bleeding everywhere and are being washed out by the Main light.

Which leaves the colour-bleed visible only in the areas the Main light can't reach directly, i.e. the shadows.

regards
prixat

shadownet ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2015 at 6:12 PM

file_7ef605fc8dba5425d6965fbd4c8fbe1f.gi

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2015 at 9:14 PM

Another question.

You suggested this thing:

Quote - use large softboxes instead

I tried to use this technique but the problem is that "large softboxes" are visible on every reflective surface and sometimes even in the eyes of the characters.

There is something that I do not know about "large softboxes" or is there a way to hide them?

Or may be there are "large softboxes" that emit light but are totally invisible on reflective surfaces?

Many thanks

I didn't see an answer to this question. I have the same issue. If I use some large object to light up the scene I can make it invisible to the camera, but I can't stop it from reflecting in eyes and everything else.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

cspear ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2015 at 4:59 AM

If you haven't updated with the latest service release, you should:  there is a very significant improvement in the blotchy IDL artifacts.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

AmbientShade ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2015 at 1:35 PM

This is the kind of thread we want to see more of here. Thanks. Making this a sticky.

If we can get enough others to make similar threads, I will make those sticky as well and move them to the Poser Technical forum with a stickied link page from here as a ToC, (so that all the stickies don't pile up too high).

:)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2015 at 1:58 PM

you wanna reduce cornea surface reflection of large diffuse sources?  will cause classic poser 4 "dead doll eyes" look (mostly specular), unless segregate light panels from other posersurfaces by clamp or limit diffuse.  will consider it over weekend (quitting time ~3 min. frm now), but I daresay BB already solved this.  would start with typical refl/spec math as shown below, then moderate with diffuse node. e.g. would only accept diffuse below certain limit, in case light panels had ambient > 1.0.

file_2b24d495052a8ce66358eb576b8912c8.pn

keener ( ) posted Wed, 10 June 2015 at 12:30 AM

Artbee, Thanks for this post it has inspired me into trying

light settings I've never poked around into, Please continue !

trepleen ( ) posted Thu, 02 July 2015 at 2:49 AM

Anyone figure out a FAST work around to fix those black splotches?  I don't want to set the samples so high that the render takes forever to finish.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.