Thu, Sep 19, 9:56 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 5:55 pm)

Subject: Photometric Point Lights not rendering...

Techyman ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2015 at 12:09 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:36 PM

I am attempting to update an older scene I created a while back to render in IRAY. So far, everything is looking great, but I need a linear point light in one area. I added the light, made sure the photometrics were turned on, and tried to render the scene. No matter how high I push the lumens (Up to 500,000) the light will not render at all. The light is right next to a wall and even at the lowest power, it should at least lighten the wall a bit. Is there something else I need to do in order for it to work? On a side note, the light does show up in the preview window.

Thanks!

radioham ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2015 at 2:42 PM

Me I cheat... use Adobe Photoshop cc4 to add a wee bit more light

Ian

DustRider ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2015 at 2:43 PM

It's hard to say what the problem might be. With the default Iray settings (Tone Mapping) a light at 500,000 lumens should give a good amount of illumination. The only thing I can think of that might be causing the problem would be if your light is hidden inside or behind a bit of geometry that isn't transparent (maybe the point emitter is just barely inside the wall, or just barley inside a light fixture). Try moving it to the middle of the room where there definitely isn't anything in the scene to obstruct the light and see if it works then.

Sorry, but that's all I can think of right now.

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2015 at 2:51 PM

A linear point light is not real - light falls off as the inverse square of distance - so you aren't going to be able to get the same effect.

LPR001 ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2015 at 11:31 PM

I messed around with this for a while then I figured why not recreate real life so I went and got me a iRay light kit comes with many light props including a studio lighting setup, spots, street lights etc. I slide that out of the render view if required and adjust it to suit. Brings a little real extra world feel to it too. Character holding a lantern with the prop in full view is equally as pleasing. Street/house lights have changed my life in my Daz scenes I am currently working on. I must say probably my purchase of the month except I am addicted to Dreamland Models City block sets and cars from upstairs here at Rendo to use in animation had to get a few in to compliment my new lights so narrowly beaten on that score :-) but major compliment. In animation I can hide actual light props I add but leave the effect which turn out great over and above the eqiv "set lights" similar to the iRay/3Delight default options. So I can get headlamp on a car to glow it does not throw the beam I strap a torch per headlight for example and hide the prop leaving the perfect beam ahead of car as goes up road switch on, off, high, and low beam etc. I hope the same hide ability will be in Daz no reason why it won't just haven't had chance to try it. Either way my quick results to date are just great in comparison. I do know there is nothing more natural than using real lights or recreations at least in my sets for shadow fall acuracy You need to to get u some total Iray lighting my friend.

- Johnny G

"Try animation to get things moving"

lpr001@renderosity.com

Techyman ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2015 at 11:06 AM

The problem I have is that the light is from a small shallow pan that contains a flame. The the flame is mapped to a plane. If I convert the flame to an emitter, then the entire plane lights up, not just the flame. When I originally did the scene, I used a linear point light (I was using Reality 4.1 at the time) to create a specific effect on the wall the pan is hanging from. It also created a great shadow effect for a couple of the props around it. It is a small part of the background, but it adds a lot of atmosphere to the scene. The only work around I can come up with is to create a cylinder, scale the Y axis down until it is wafer-thin, convert it to an emitter, and set it in the bottom of the pan so that it is just out of sight. It gives me something of what I want, but it's still not as good a point light. I've looked at all of the tutorials on YouTube (Sickleyield has some great ones) and followed the instructions, but I still can't get the non-emitter lights to register.

I also wanted to thank everybody who replied and to LPR001 who suggested the IRAY lighting, I took a look at the Total Iray lighting and it looks good. I don't see anything in there that could help with this project, but it has given me some interesting ideas. Thanks again.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 06 September 2015 at 3:26 PM

Using the flame's transparency map on Cutout Opacity in the Iray uber Shader should stop the parts of the plane that are invisible from showing, but if it's a single plane it probably isn't going to work correctly anyway. You could use a point light and adjust the geometry settings to make it a sphere or cylinder of the right size to represent your fire, or even more than one with different hues and slightly different sizes and placements.

takezo3001 ( ) posted Mon, 07 September 2015 at 7:43 PM · edited Mon, 07 September 2015 at 7:52 PM

Deleted..

Techyman ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2015 at 12:37 PM

This is just a follow up to my situation. After some good advice from another user, I redownloaded and reloaded the Lights & Shaders part of DS 4.8. It seems to have fixed the problem. Apparently, I was missing some files or the files didn't load in right the first time. If anyone else is having this problem, this might help.

Thanks to all those who took the time to reply!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.