Thu, Sep 19, 6:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 6:38 pm)

Subject: custom 3d textures in material room

AnyMatter ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 1:49 AM · edited Wed, 14 August 2024 at 12:39 PM

greetz

i have my 3d model filled with patterns(polka dots ,sort of) on its whole surface, unfortunately they are not uniformly distributed, either smaller or bigger in size, some are badly distorted. i wish to know if they are ways to maintain the image coordinate independant to the object UV in material room, the same effect as we apply noise(3d textures) to object surface which is not influence by its UV . note that i dont wish to sculpt the object or reedit its UV anymore.

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 6:52 AM
Online Now!

Could you give some screen-shots or renders and go into a little more detail? I'm not sure what you are asking.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

AnyMatter ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 7:42 AM

Boni posted at 8:26PM Fri, 09 October 2015 - #4232960

Could you give some screen-shots or renders and go into a little more detail? I'm not sure what you are asking.

Boni thx, here tk a look Render 2.png

note that the patterns above the object was stretched by its UV. i just wish to know if they are ways to re-coordinate the image in material room so that the UV will not stretch /distort the patterns. i know it can be fixed by readjust the object vertices or simply re-edit its UV but i prefer using material nodes in material room if possible...

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 11:25 AM

is that single tile or is it one large texture with all those octoid shapes? try single tile, tiling texture.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 12:27 PM

That won't help. Tiling a texture doesn't change the UV mapping. What is happening here is the UV dimensions are no longer consistent. The OP asks how to stop using UV altogether - tiling still uses UV.

The answer is there isn't any way to do this for clothing. For certain limited situations (a plane, a box) you can tell it to use planar mapping, but that's not good for most clothing items.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 1:56 PM
Online Now!

Thanks bagginsbill, I was actually thinking of using UVmapper or similar program to adjust (even though the OP said not based on the UV map)... well, it was only half a thought and you would need a third party modeling program to do it properly. Actually ... Photoshop, Blender or here in the MP Blacksmith3d PRO. I was also thinking ... could subdividing the mesh help fix this?

Boni

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 2:30 PM

Subdivision won't improve it. I'd say his best bet is to UV-unwrap the model; that would considerably reduce -but not totally eliminate- the UV distortion. If he discards UV mapping and uses procedural texturing, his options of decorative patterns will be limited.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 3:00 PM
Online Now!

I took a 3d modeling class over a decade ago ... but it seems to me that the fault is in the mesh ... it needs to be tweaked to get rid of the stretch based on the polygons. I may be way off base ... but my lightwave class went over something like this. Gurus? Am I way off base?

Boni

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 3:21 PM · edited Fri, 09 October 2015 at 3:22 PM

The mesh isn't inherently bad. The distortion is likely due to either [A] Using cylindrical mapping on a tube-like shape which has considerable variation in radius, or [B] The mesh was originally a cylinder and mapped as a cylinder, but was later re-shaped, in which case stretching out that upper portion of the tube also stretched the UVs.

UV-unwrapping would lay the mesh surface out like a bearskin rug, giving a flat 2D projection of the 3D surface. Almost every Poser doll is UV-unwrapped; that's why their templates look like a bearskin rug. UV unwrapping is the hot ticket for dolls, clothes, organic shapes like tree trunks/branches, etc. To do this, you need a UV mapping utility which has UV-unwrapping. I use UVLayout; there are several other unwrap capable mappers.

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

AnyMatter ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 6:48 PM

thx for all the reply guys, i finally decided to readjust the UV in blender , everything fixed. how i wish if poser actually provides special nodes for this purpose, custom 3d textures simply will do. cellular and noise are few example i've used to create uniform bump throughout surface without being stretched by the object UV

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 8:54 PM · edited Fri, 09 October 2015 at 8:58 PM

Here are the 3D procedural nodes in P10/Pro2014 P10 3D procedural nodes.png

You might be able to use the 2D "tile" node -set to "ellipsoid"- to get polka dots, but I don't know if it's sensitive to UVs or not. 2D tile node - set to ellipsoid.PNG

Poser 12, in feet.  

Morkonan ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 10:38 PM · edited Fri, 09 October 2015 at 10:40 PM

The only time I make heavy use of the Material Room is when I want to break something... Well, not quite. But...

Anyway, just wondering, but couldn't using a Global Coordinate system provide a "sort of" workaround for this? I see that it's available on some of the node forms. (ie: Check to box on "Global Coordinates" for the shader node, if available.)

PS - I actually enjoy uvmapping, so it's sort of beyond me why an object wouldn't be mapped or why jumping into remapping it wouldn't be the first choice. But, preferences, tools and skills differ, so that's why I'm asking the question.

AnyMatter ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 11:06 PM

seachnasaigh, thx for the help! i didnt know it's simply called as 'procedural textures' instead of '3d textures' . much better if we can replace those polka dots with custom made pattern.

Morkonan, i did check the global coordinates earlier before posting this thread but no difference at all. so i really dont know what is it for. in blender however, simply checking the 'global coordinates' or 'orco' will give procedural effects , no stretching whatsover

Morkonan ( ) posted Fri, 09 October 2015 at 11:29 PM

ka06059 posted at 11:26PM Fri, 09 October 2015 - #4233069

Morkonan, i did check the global coordinates earlier before posting this thread but no difference at all. so i really dont know what is it for. in blender however, simply checking the 'global coordinates' or 'orco' will give procedural effects , no stretching whatsover

BagginsBill commented on that node toggle in a thread about velvet or something-or-other sometime earlier this year, IIRC. That's the only reason I brought it up as it seemed to apply a universal reference for the procedural texture, rather than a U/V one, which is sort of what you would want, I would think. However, even if it worked as I may have mistakenly thought it did, it's a stop-gap measure at best, since it's going to basically flat-map the procedural onto the surface, straight from the PoV of the camera, I would think. (Again, I'm no Mat Room guru at all. I just like to break stuff and asspload renders by completely screwing up procedural mats with it.. :) )

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 10 October 2015 at 1:03 AM · edited Sat, 10 October 2015 at 1:04 AM

The procedural nodes have a limited repertoire of patterns; if you want to use some particular fabric print pattern, I would say UV-unwrap the mesh and use an image map node.

Global coordinates will apply the procedural effect depending on where a spot of the mesh surface is located in 3D space, so if the mesh moves, the procedural texture will change. The other option is applying the procedural texture with relative to the object, in which case the texturing remains fixed if the object is moved.

If you're using a procedural to add scuff/wear to a machine's paint job, then you'd want to use local/object coordinates. Global often helps with animation: If you have a prop panel parented to a vessel's windscreen, you can move the vessel and the parented billboard can show fog passing by.

Poser 12, in feet.  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.