Sat, Oct 5, 10:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 9:59 am)

Subject: Poser Girls Lineup comparisons

Blackhearted ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 2:16 AM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 2:16 AM

i was planning on giving her the GND treatment but i'll wait until all the issues with the base rig are fixed.

it needs to 'work' out of the box. while its nice that shes open source and people are creating improvements, its guaranteed product death to require multiple prerequisite packages/fixes before someone can use your product.

for example: own Poser 11 with service release 1, then download Bob's weight map fix 1.3 from xx website, then download Bill's UV fix from yy website: only then can you use my product. this type of thing doesnt work. if anyones been around here long enough to remember Jim Burton's excellent work with Vicky 1, even one simple step like PCF encoding cripples the release of a product and creates a product support nightmare for the vendor. there has to be some system for quality improvements to be standardized and rolled into the base figure and distributed by SM (preferably in poser). perhaps they can think of some incentive to get people to do so, like vouchers to be used on Poser, an upgrade to Poser Pro, whatever.

id do some free tweaks (i may still down the road once things stabilize), but i already spend about 60% of my time doing volunteer work - i need to earn a living too.

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 3:37 AM

It needs to 'work' out of the box. while its nice that shes open source and people are creating improvements, its guaranteed product death to require multiple prerequisite packages/fixes before someone can use your product.

Yep.....

My Renderosity Store

artdude41 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 3:41 AM

AmbientShade posted at 3:41AM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4240914

Yes she always bends like that.

paulineLegBend.jpg

I suspect it has something to do with the value op they have on it. Removing the jcm actually makes it look better.

jesus , how did that make it out the door !

AmbientShade ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 4:15 AM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 4:16 AM

She's a merchant resource, which means that whatever you do with her doesn't have to depend on her official rig or anyone else's modifications. I guess it's best to wait until we see that put in writing officially of course.

Blackhearted ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 4:41 AM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 4:43 AM

being able to distribute the modified mesh/rig does change things..

in that case it might not be a bad idea for Rendo to create a forum/subforum for her where users could submit bugs, contributors could collaborate and people could keep track of its development. will be interesting to see how it works out considering the way 3D content works... change a single vertice or the UVs and you nuke everyone elses work up to that point.

btw what is up with the forum lumping all of my paragraphs together?

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 5:24 AM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 5:27 AM

She's a merchant resource, which means that whatever you do with her doesn't have to depend on her official rig or anyone else's modifications.

Yes great for the tinkerer who wants to do all those things. What about the user who wants commercial support, who doesn't want to rig and modify things themselves? They are the majority of this market, and they are getting the short end of the stick here. User gets Poser11, looks for commercial content support for these figures, there isn't because the figure is an MR and if you want something you need to do it yourself. In what world has that idea ever worked in this market and made a figure catch on commercially?

Majority of vendors will gladly say good luck and support something else. And judging by the amount of support I am seeing in the stores, it looks like that motion has already been set. Content is king? Looks like it but only if you do it. Very big mistake to make, and soon you will see why. Even Dawn had more support out of the gate and look what happened to her commercial appeal. It is going to be hard for Pauline to do any better, and certainly not in the condition she was released in. Just being realistic here.

My Renderosity Store

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 5:30 AM

Blackhearted posted at 1:29PM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241039

btw what is up with the forum lumping all of my paragraphs together?

Don't ask......This forum is broken in so many ways.

My Renderosity Store

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 6:43 AM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 6:45 AM

Look at the posing fiigure at Ali's front page. This is how a stock Poser figure should look like. I have no idea, what figure this is. Maybe it is in development. There's no information released. http://www.mankahoo.com Oh yeah, nudity -sorry

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 6:49 AM

? All I see is hair sets:)

My Renderosity Store

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:00 AM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:00 AM

Zev0 posted at 1:59PM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241045

? All I see is hair sets:)

Mankahoo.jpg not the hair ;)

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:01 AM

Ah. Well my firefox refuses to display that image lol.

My Renderosity Store

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:08 AM

What I miss on Pauline's mesh are some edge loops to define some muscle structures on her front thighs. Backside of her thighs look good to me, same with calfs and knees, but her thighs front look like some spandex pants.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:12 AM

Zev0 posted at 8:00AM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241041

User gets Poser11, looks for commercial content support for these figures, there isn't because the figure is an MR and if you want something you need to do it yourself.

That's the fault of the vendors. The MR is specifically for vendors to take advantage of. If they choose not to it's no one's fault but their own. I fail to see the logic in that statement.

There are other people working on figures. It doesn't have to come from SM. There are a number of artists around here who could build a good commercial support network for whatever they might produce just based on the success of their previous work. SM provided Pauline and soon to be Paul - as an attempt to give content artists a blank canvas to build whatever figure they want to build without having to start from absolute scratch or worry about licensing restrictions and copyrights, etc. It's not possible to meet everyone's expectations in what makes the perfect figure. That's where a true content artist gets to step in and build whatever they want from that base starting point and grow a following around their work. I agree she could be better, and a lot of testers tried to get her to a better state but deadlines are deadlines. There are a number of people who seem to like Pauline more than previous SM figures. And they've taken several steps with P11 to make content creation easier, which could just as easily have been what was meant by the 'content is king' phrase. Since it was never actually elaborated on it's anyone's guess what was really intended by it.

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:36 AM

One part of the disapointment is, that there was Roxie before. Not that beauty out of the box with some flaws too, but bending and appeal has been "within acceptable parameters". Now here Pauline looks like a big step back. ...........................Quote:"There are a number of people who seem to like Pauline more than previous SM figures.".................................................Pauline's beautyness or not beautyness is in the eye of the beholder, her bad rigging is not.

RawArt ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:48 AM

How does this "Merchant Resource" idea work? If someone mod's the figure and puts it for sale in the marketplace here or wherever, then wouldnt people essentially be able to buy the figure without buying poser? I thought one of the perks of buying the new poser version was to get the new figure.

Blackhearted ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 8:09 AM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 8:13 AM

nothing wrong with the blank canvas idea -- its the concept ive been heavily pushing for years.

people will take a blank canvas and run with it as long as its a high quality blank canvas. word for word what ive told people at the helm of Poser for years is that all a base figure needs is a high quality platform: impeccable quality UVs, base mesh, and a good working base rig. these are things that either cant be changed or the typical vendor doesnt want to get involved with. ive said it so many times i feel like a #%@$ing broken record. you dont need to include a ton of morphs and 'features'. vendors and freestuff creators will make all that stuff.

but in order to get people to work on that 'blank canvas' -- to embrace it as a universal platform instead of just the latest in a long line of new figures that fall by the wayside -- that canvas needs to be pretty clean to begin with.

creativeguy59 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 8:21 AM

So. Watching the thread a lot of the usual stuff happening, fairly predictable actually. :) However, for the record, I love Pauline. I plan on using her rather extensively after I get through my holiday rush of comic production. I find she bends very well despite some claiming otherwise. I find her a suitable replacement for V4 in my runtimes thus far especially with the addition of Morphs and a conversion kit for clothing. I would like to see more skins and content but tis early in the process. I don't see any of the issues in rigging that folks speak of either but hey I'm new to it.

The thing I tell myself when a new figure comes out and I've tried about all of them as they came out cause I'm avid in trying new things and seeing what they can do. So I've tried everything from V4, Genesis, Gen2, Gen3, Dawn, Scarlett, the default Poser figures like Alysoun, Roxie, Miki, and beyond. One unalienable fact remains, each figure had issues when it came out. I find that Pauline had fewer issues IMHO.

So I'm willing to support the figure and see how she develops out, I am not willing to judge a figure because of who produced it, what program it works in, or a lot of other religious fervor that overcomes folks :) Why? Cause we are a community of 3d artists that use a lot of different programs to create art and content. Should it matter really in the end? No. Divergent opinions and views are great for learning , for seeing other sides of things, for opening our eyes to new possiblities, to dare to explore, ... tis what we humans are good at. However, we are also good with destructive behaviours of tearing things down just cause they don't match our worldview... I find I reject this model. I prefer to be constructive in my criticisms I prefer to see the good, the bad, the ugly, the not so ugly... and I prefer to adapt and share in the spirit of a sharing, can do, exploration, and enjoying the company of great folk that just want to create art without tearing down other folks in the process. :)

Anyways, enough said, carry on, I need to go and do paying work, and go and play with Pauline (hrm that didn't come off right does it) ;)

Lyrra ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 8:31 AM

I'd like to remind you all to keep on topic. For those who came in late this threads topic: comparing the smith micro figures, positives and negatives of each.

If someone wants to start a thread discussing how to fix any specific figures problems you can link it back here.

BH - Nice to see you man! been a while. If you do a shape for Pauline let me know so I can add the morph to my Pauline bodysuit :)

Lyrra

Xatren ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 8:34 AM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 8:46 AM

AmbientShade posted at 8:31AM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241051

Zev0 posted at 8:00AM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241041

User gets Poser11, looks for commercial content support for these figures, there isn't because the figure is an MR and if you want something you need to do it yourself.

That's the fault of the vendors. The MR is specifically for vendors to take advantage of. If they choose not to it's no one's fault but their own. I fail to see the logic in that statement.

There are other people working on figures. It doesn't have to come from SM. There are a number of artists around here who could build a good commercial support network for whatever they might produce just based on the success of their previous work. SM provided Pauline and soon to be Paul - as an attempt to give content artists a blank canvas to build whatever figure they want to build without having to start from absolute scratch or worry about licensing restrictions and copyrights, etc. It's not possible to meet everyone's expectations in what makes the perfect figure. That's where a true content artist gets to step in and build whatever they want from that base starting point and grow a following around their work. I agree she could be better, and a lot of testers tried to get her to a better state but deadlines are deadlines. There are a number of people who seem to like Pauline more than previous SM figures. And they've taken several steps with P11 to make content creation easier, which could just as easily have been what was meant by the 'content is king' phrase. Since it was never actually elaborated on it's anyone's guess what was really intended by it.

So a person could take Pauline's .obj and start over completely if they wanted to, like she's just a base mesh? They could use the topology that's already present, since it's actually pretty good, and sculpt her in zbrush or whatever, and turn her into a totally new figure that they then UV if they like and rig to their satisfaction, and then sell her as their own creation, that doesn't even require Pauline or Poser 11?

That doesn't seem like that a bad a deal at all, if that's the case.

EDIT: Hold up. If she is actually open source, why hasn't anyone started just disseminating her so all poser users and content creators can get started with her?

Lyrra ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 8:50 AM

Pauline uses specialized poser 11 prop handles for face and some body rigging. I'm not certain how this would translate to earlier versions of poser.

Someone should try that and see what happens.

LM

Xatren ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 8:55 AM

Lyrra posted at 8:55AM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241065

Pauline uses specialized poser 11 prop handles for face and some body rigging. I'm not certain how this would translate to earlier versions of poser.

Someone should try that and see what happens.

LM

Even still, having her .obj to get to work on would be sweet.

Lyrra ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 9:00 AM

I'll pencil a Pauline downgrade version in for after I finish the Paul Morphs plus. Unless someone beats me to it. In theory one should be able to convert the bodyhandles to regular rigged handles and make her compatible back to mmm poser 7? where they added WM.

I dont think she's open source, she was stated as being a merchant resource. I'll ask Nerd for clarification.

LM

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 10:23 AM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 10:37 AM

__So a person could take Pauline's .obj and start over completely if they wanted to, like she's just a base mesh? They could use the topology that's already present, since it's actually pretty good, and sculpt her in zbrush or whatever, and turn her into a totally new figure that they then UV if they like and rig to their satisfaction, and then sell her as their own creation, that doesn't even require Pauline or Poser 11?

That doesn't seem like that a bad a deal at all, if that's the case.__

It's a terrible idea from a vendors perspective. So tell me, why should vendors support your Pauline over the SM version or somebody elses? Do you see the problem here? There are going to be so many once off versions that will never gain traction or support. You are seriously going to fragment the userbase. What good is 100 versions of Pauline if none of them are compatible with each other? I do not see the benefit of this at all. Please for the love of God, stay away from this idea. It is going to cause mass confusion.

My Renderosity Store

RawArt ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 10:26 AM

Zev0 posted at 10:26AM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241073

_So a person could take Pauline's .obj and start over completely if they wanted to, like she's just a base mesh? They could use the topology that's already present, since it's actually pretty good, and sculpt her in zbrush or whatever, and turn her into a totally new figure that they then UV if they like and rig to their satisfaction, and then sell her as their own creation, that doesn't even require Pauline or Poser 11?

That doesn't seem like that a bad a deal at all, if that's the case._

It's a terrible idea from a vendors perspective. So tell me, why should vendors support your Pauline over the SM version or somebody elses? Do you see the problem here? There are going to be so many once off versions that will never gain traction or support. You are seriously going to fragment the userbase. What good is 100 versions of Pauline if none of them are compatible with each other? I do not see the benefit of this at all. Please for the love of God, stay away from this idea. It is going to cause mass confusion.

because that one could be bought without having to buy poser11...will have a bigger market

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 10:30 AM

Bigger market maybe...But again, who is going to support that version if it is not official? What if another Pauline shows up that can work in DOS? It is going to be a circus.

My Renderosity Store

Xatren ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 11:51 AM

Zev0 posted at 11:30AM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241076

Bigger market maybe...But again, who is going to support that version if it is not official? What if another Pauline shows up that can work in DOS? It is going to be a circus.

You're operating under the assumption that the new figure would be marketed as a Pauline at all. There's your mistake. The key is whether or not the existing Pauline figure is truly open source. If it actually is, you can do whatever you like with it.

If a person makes a figure from an existing open source figure, using only its geometry and adding their own original rigging, then it is not the figure from which the base mesh was taken in any meaningful sense. It would just happen to have compatible UVs, if the person making the new figure left the original UVs intact. Therefore, there could be many new figures, each with their own names (none of them being called Pauline), all sharing UVs. Those people that makes skins would be able to sell to owners of any figure based on Pauline's geometry. Whether you prefer Pauline from Smith Micro or Paige from vendor X wouldn't matter at all.

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 12:20 PM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 12:28 PM

Whether you prefer Pauline from Smith Micro or Paige from vendor X wouldn't matter at all.

Really? What if I created outfit is designed for Pauline's rigging and doesn't work on Paige because she has different rigging and breaks the outfit? Are you going to bother to update it for Paige? Oh crap, somebody just released Mariah that has a different rig. Are you going to update your product to support that version as well? What about morph packs? Gonna do it for all or just support the official version? All I am saying, is give vendors a set base to support, a set standard, one that works out of the box, or most will not bother with your platform. Simple as that.

My Renderosity Store

Xatren ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 12:57 PM

Zev0 posted at 12:49PM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241088

Whether you prefer Pauline from Smith Micro or Paige from vendor X wouldn't matter at all.

Really? What if I created outfit is designed for Pauline's rigging and doesn't work on Paige because she has different rigging and breaks the outfit? Are you going to bother to update it for Paige? Oh crap, somebody just released Mariah that has a different rig. Are you going to update your product to support that version as well? What about morph packs? Gonna do it for all or just support the official version? All I am saying, is give vendors a set base to support, a set standard, one that works out of the box, or most will not bother with your platform. Simple as that.

Well, why would you be trying to use an outfit for Paige on Pauline? Would you try to have your Jessi clothing work on Victoria 7? The point is,Pauline, Paige and Mariah wouldn't be different versions of the same figure. They would be completely different figures. You do understand that, right? Taking a base mesh and making different things out of it is pretty standard for the CG industry as a whole.

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 1:02 PM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 1:09 PM

And that is the PROBLEM. Compatibility! Why would people invest in Paige if there is no morph packs or one outfit if that creator fails to provide continued support or get vendors onboard for that figure? Look at Genesis. All shapes, morphs, characters and skins built for it can work with each other. WHY? Because the base and rigging is standardized. What point would it be if all of those were standalone figures with no compatibility with each others content and vendors will have to do individual support for all instead of just once off? How hard is this to understand? Seriously.......

My Renderosity Store

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 1:07 PM

There's a joke about 'invasion of the body snatchers' or Doctor Who's Cybermen in here somewhere.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

Xatren ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 2:00 PM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 2:03 PM

Zev0 posted at 1:52PM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241093

And that is the PROBLEM. Compatibility! Why would people invest in Paige if there is no morph packs or one outfit if that creator fails to provide continued support or get vendors onboard for that figure? Look at Genesis. All shapes, morphs, characters and skins built for it can work with each other. WHY? Because the base and rigging is standardized. What point would it be if all of those were standalone figures with no compatibility with each others content and vendors will have to do individual support for all instead of just once off? How hard is this to understand? Seriously.......

The only thing that's hard to understand is why you are still whining about other people possibly putting their efforts where they wish instead of just doing the same thing yourself. You do sell a few items, but really, do we have to have the sermonizing to go with them? You've made it clear that you aren't interested personally, and won't support anyone that is, so it's really none of your business.

EDIT: Why do different figures have to be compatible with one another anyway? I don't often find myself wanting to put Freak 3 clothes on Skyler.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 2:16 PM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 2:23 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

TonyVilters bet your going to have a lot of fun playing with a open source mesh :)

I have Pro 14 but I can't tell if I got tonyvilters TaulineB to load in Poser .I went to Content install and done all that. but it's not in DownLoads no matter how many times I refresh.HELP

I did load the .obj in C4D.the character seems like she has good ratios . TaulineB genitalia is flush so can't tell about that but it seems not to be in the right place.Roxies genitalia was to far forward.

I think before you start worrying about uvmaps,riggs etc etc ya need to make sure every thing is in the right place to start with.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

shvrdavid ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:22 PM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:22 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, profanity

Just so everyone here knows, the re rig of Pauline that I am working on uses the exact same joint centers as the default Pauline does. It is done that way so it is compatible with content, not to start another version completely. It wont require scripts, or a Masters Degree in Poser to use. You can simply copy the rigging to the cloth for many things. Here is the progress, there are no jcms in it at all.

Pauline re rig.jpg

I have considered doing a radical departure rigging wise, but it isn't like anyone here wants a figure that actually bends like a real person does..

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:48 PM · edited Thu, 26 November 2015 at 7:48 PM

Looking back a little bit in the thread in response to Lyrra's comment about a backward compatible Pauline... Lyrra, if you're serious about creating such a blank rig that'll work going back to Poser 5; dump the body handles completely (delete the bones and dependencies or whatever), get rid of the weight maps and have just legacy spherical fall offs. WMing came in at Poser 9, capsule fall offs (Miki 3, Creech and a few others are the only figures I've seen with this) Poser 8. A truly open, flexible blank .cr2 wouldn't have extraneous bells and whistles nor version specific features, it would be a canvas that any Poser artist regardless of version could work on.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Xatren ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 8:09 PM · edited Wed, 17 February 2016 at 3:20 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

shvrdavid posted at 8:09PM Thu, 26 November 2015 - #4241131

Just so everyone here knows, the re rig of Pauline that I am working on uses the exact same joint centers as the default Pauline does. It is done that way so it is compatible with content, not to start another version completely. It wont require scripts, or a Masters Degree in Poser to use. You can simply copy the rigging to the cloth for many things. Here is the progress, there are no jcms in it at all.

Pauline re rig.jpg

I have considered doing a radical departure rigging wise, but it isn't like anyone here wants a figure that actually bends like a real person does..

It's looking very good so far. I look forward to using it when it is done.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2015 at 8:35 PM

Have to agree... ShvrDavid's modifications look alot better than the default bends.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 1:47 AM · edited Fri, 27 November 2015 at 1:47 AM

shvrdavid Impressive rig !!!

Blackhearted ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 2:34 AM · edited Fri, 27 November 2015 at 2:35 AM

EldritchCellar posted at 2:29AM Fri, 27 November 2015 - #4241133

Looking back a little bit in the thread in response to Lyrra's comment about a backward compatible Pauline... Lyrra, if you're serious about creating such a blank rig that'll work going back to Poser 5; dump the body handles completely (delete the bones and dependencies or whatever), get rid of the weight maps and have just legacy spherical fall offs. WMing came in at Poser 9, capsule fall offs (Miki 3, Creech and a few others are the only figures I've seen with this) Poser 8. A truly open, flexible blank .cr2 wouldn't have extraneous bells and whistles nor version specific features, it would be a canvas that any Poser artist regardless of version could work on.

Poser 5 is ancient. At this point IMO theres no reason to go further than 3 versions back to support the handful of people using 13 year old software. There are plenty of figures that are compatible with Poser 4-8. The main weakness of Poser is realistic figure bending and weight mapping is a huge improvement in that area.

That said, I would dump anything that is Poser 10-11 exclusive and make it available to anyone with Poser 9+.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 3:14 AM

bot email notification attempt

AmbientShade ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 3:16 AM · edited Fri, 27 November 2015 at 3:30 AM

Poser 10+ is actually more practical, unless you intend on not taking full advantage of the features that have been introduced in 10 and 11, or intend on trying to support two versions of the same figure which can be a confusing nightmare for potential users. Poser 9 can't read subD surfaces for example, and the unimesh system is pretty rudimentary. Facial rigging is possible in 9 and 10 but only 11 will give you the ability to create control handles for the rig or an additional pallet for its dials. Control handles could be built by hand of course if you want to go that route. and then there is HD morphing which only 11 will read. There are other issues too but I'd have to go back and remember all of them. Of course if it's just the weightmapping you're interested in, V4 has already been weightmapped a few times.

IMO, any new figure that someone were to create at this point should do its best to encourage users to upgrade to the latest version of Poser, while giving consideration to those who haven't upgraded yet. Poser 10 can be found pretty cheap after all, and the longer 11 is out the cheaper 10 will get.

Lyrra ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 5:18 AM

I am no longer following this thread

Thank you all for reminding me why I avoid the forums

Lyrra

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 5:31 AM · edited Wed, 17 February 2016 at 3:20 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

shvrdavid posted at 5:31AM Fri, 27 November 2015 - #4241131

Pauline re rig.jpg

Hey, I've wanted to play with some of your rigs for some time.... ;)

AmbientShade ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 6:09 AM

Lyrra posted at 7:08AM Fri, 27 November 2015 - #4241170

I am no longer following this thread

Thank you all for reminding me why I avoid the forums

Lyrra

Sorry Lyrra. I thought the intention of this thread was to discuss Pauline's construction and possibilities. At least that seems to be the natural procession of where the topic would go.

Lyrra ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 6:28 AM

nope. this thread is about comparing the figures. you want to rebuild Pauline, go make a new thread "How to Improve Pauline' and dont cross topics. That way people looking to rebuild Pauline can find you.

I however have much too much work to get on with to keep an eye on forum postings. I'm pretty certain people would much rather I spent my time making things than explaining over and over how to stay on one bloody topic.

You want to compare say miki4 or Posette-Nea to any of these figures this is your thread. for anything else .. start a new one., Its not like they charge.

Lyrra

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 7:18 AM

Hello Lyrra, I feel you are upset. ** If you want to compare figures, please study some anatomy first.**

We all want to make all Poser figures better, and we spend weeks, if not months, on a single FBM. Or like Scott, who works weeks on end to improve the rigging and who is doing a very fine Job at that. => **We go for quality, not for quantity. **

With each release SM is limited to their time table. We are not limited in time and continue to fine tune the object file and the rigging.

The first priority was to get a repaired object file out to the general public.

Next will be rigging and textures, and we use the new Poser tools as they are supposed to be used.

And "YES", everything we make will initially be "FREE for all".

And we certainly do not go "for the quick buck" as some try to do. => That always backfires. Certainly with Wings, anim8or, and Blender being free apps for everybody, and more and more end users are building their own morphs and support items.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 7:41 AM · edited Fri, 27 November 2015 at 7:53 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Lyrra posted at 7:32AM Fri, 27 November 2015 - #4241176

nope. this thread is about comparing the figures. you want to rebuild Pauline, go make a new thread "How to Improve Pauline' and dont cross topics. That way people looking to rebuild Pauline can find you.

I however have much too much work to get on with to keep an eye on forum postings. I'm pretty certain people would much rather I spent my time making things than explaining over and over how to stay on one bloody topic.

You want to compare say miki4 or Posette-Nea to any of these figures this is your thread. for anything else .. start a new one., Its not like they charge.

Lyrra

So what your basically saying is that only comparisons that you approve of can be discussed? I saw multiple mentions of my re rig, and posted pictures as examples. You know, as a comparison just like the title of the dam thread is named. After all, it is a Poser figure. And apparently more than a few people thought that's what we were going to discuss. Maybe they thought that, because of what you named the thread... Go figure.....

I have just about every character in Poser re rigged where you can tie them into a knot, with the acceptation of Pauline and Paul, which are not finished yet.

If you started this thread simply to point out issues with figures, whatever. There are tons of those here and maybe you could have just bumped one of those. And if we are not allowed to post things into your threads that are directly related to what you named the topic, by all means start your dam own forum............. You even posted modifications on the first page, glad to know no one else is allowed too..................

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

xuu4u ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2016 at 1:19 AM · edited Wed, 27 January 2016 at 1:34 AM
Interesting news about Pauline in this thread. ty all for the infos.
(even its a bit offtopic)
As my poser experience (since Poser5) tells me, Poser11 will be stable after SR3, hopefully for the ppl using Poser11. Personally i will pause again for 1 to 2 Releases, like i did before, got  PPro2010 then PPro2014.
Maybe SM should take more time too and produce more quality content and less initial bugs.
Releasing a figure like Pauline with such flaws is not understandable / acceptable. 

So now back to the topic of this thread, lets have a look at SM's Alyson and Ryan.

(comparing the smith micro figures, positives and negatives of each.)

Well so i start with very annoing negative one and hope this does not count as offtopic.

My first issue with this figures was the ONE folder they are installed to. 

Lets say you have installed the distributed figures packages of PPro2014 and take
a first look inside your content (runtime\libraries\People\Ryan or \Alyson).
Wow, you see all mixed up together, very confusing without any structure. 

Its possible to clearly structure folders under runtime\libraries since Poser5 !
(provided that you don't have references inside)
But SM the Poser devlopers take you that freedom, by packing all different Ryan
Versions including corresponding .obj's and .pmds in ONE directory.
(Rember .obj and .pmd are references and should reside under runtime\geometries)
And Alyson, absolute the same. (Each directory has more than 600 MB together 1.2GB)

So tell me if you dont know these figures very well, where to start to check them out ?

Besides that, .pmd Tech should help to not copy morphs over and over again.
But what does SM here ?, they create absolute indentical copies of .pmds
with different names.
So before i was content to continue with Ryan and Alyson i had to clear out
that crap to an easy to use folder structure. Costed me about 2 hours, but now
i have the folder structure like it should came from SM. References  on its place
and saved a lot of space, getting rid of this useless copies of .pmd files.
And also a clear division between Rayn and Ryan2, Alyson and Alyson2  and all of his/her different versions.

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2016 at 4:45 PM

shvrdavid posted at 5:45PM Wed, 27 January 2016 - #4241131

:(

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2016 at 5:10 AM

JohnDoe641 posted at 11:07AM Thu, 28 January 2016 - #4251587

shvrdavid posted at 5:45PM Wed, 27 January 2016 - #4241131

:(

Ok I know this thread is about comparing, but I wish to answer shvrdavid, I'm interested, most figures bend ok, but none are good, I like using V4, I now she bends like crap but I have more content for her and I'm not wasting money on another bending nightmare, shame V4 cannot be fixed,lol.

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2016 at 8:08 AM · edited Thu, 28 January 2016 at 8:09 AM

shedofjoy posted at 9:07AM Thu, 28 January 2016 - #4251711

Ok I know this thread is about comparing, but I wish to answer shvrdavid, I'm interested, most figures bend ok, but none are good, I like using V4, I now she bends like crap but I have more content for her and I'm not wasting money on another bending nightmare, shame V4 cannot be fixed,lol.

There are at least three free weightmapped V4's available, which can use her content (sometimes with a bit of work)...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.