Thu, Sep 19, 4:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:00 pm)

Subject: SmithMicro official Poser Pro 11 Preview Page!

Zev0 ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 1:24 PM · edited Tue, 24 November 2015 at 1:33 PM

Are you part of a registered company that will use Dson to Daz's benefit within this industry? If not they do not have to show you anything to be honest. If you are, then please send them a business proposal. There are specific channels you have to go through. You can't just demand that things be shown:) I don't see why that information should be made public to people who have no intention of using it, and who are just demanding it for alternative agendas. This thread is about Poser11. Why are you all so obsessed with Dson? That ship has sailed.

My Renderosity Store

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 2:29 PM

https://opensource.org/osd-annotated

Read it carefully, Zev, as this is considered the definition of 'open source'. As noted, unless freely redistributable and providing the source code for others to update or modify at need, a program or script would not meet the definition of 'open source' that is used out in the real world. And of course any updates and modifications done by other parties would have to be freely provided to all, including the original writer of the code, so that everyone is on the same page. As you imply only registered businesses that could do things to Draper's benefit need such, you are talking most assuredly about licensed code that the original IP owner maintains control over.

As to the obsession with the g-thing, I wish I knew...aside from the Poser centric mindset of having to hack and script a way just to prove it could possibly work, sorta-kinda. Hopefully the next iteration of Poser implements some version of implicit skinning. That would be iced....

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 2:33 PM

I got misleaded by the term “open source”, never mind. Thanks for clarification. I prefer to stay unbound, no intend to get in business relation with any company in any market. No obsession or strange agenda at all…

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 2:37 PM

Thanks Dale. Nice to see that there are still people who do know the meaning of “open source” :)

Zev0 ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 2:40 PM · edited Tue, 24 November 2015 at 2:53 PM

Maybe source was the wrong word. But it doesn't change the context. My point was, DSON is the file format, it is OPEN and anyone can read it. The DSON Importer for Poser is the importer that gets DSON files into Poser, that software is not open. That Daz owns. Doesn't change the logistics of the conversation that SM did not want to incorporate the DSON format natively, which is OPEN. So sue me for using the wrong word lol, the original point remains unchanged.

My Renderosity Store

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 2:43 PM · edited Tue, 24 November 2015 at 2:50 PM

Nagra_00_ posted at 3:39PM Tue, 24 November 2015 - #4240703

Rawnrr posted at 6:57PM Tue, 24 November 2015 - #4240448

You had an actual DAZ representative in here telling you directly that that DSON was open source...not sure how much more clear that could have been. Yet there are still people arguing about the legality of it. It is like they really do not want it to be free and available for use. Very weird.

In case it is open source please provide me a download link to the source code of the DSON importer. I would love to improve it.

Thanks in advance.

You're confused. The DSON Specification is open source:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/dson_spec/start

The DSON Importer for Poser is a plugin for Poser that reads the DSON Specification to load content created in the DSON format into poser. The plugin is not open source.

Part of the problem with this whole discussion is no one on the Poser side still, after all these years, knows the difference between the plugin and the actual specification. The specification needs to be read to load the content, not disassembling the plugin. (Which is where the DMCA nonsense is coming from)

It's a moot point anyway, so it's best to move on.

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 3:09 PM

There is no need to tell me the difference between a data file specification and an implementation… or to make any assumptions.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 3:20 PM · edited Tue, 24 November 2015 at 3:22 PM

Nagra_00_ posted at 4:20PM Tue, 24 November 2015 - #4240741

There is no need to tell me the difference between a data file specification and an implementation… or to make any assumptions.

If you make an incorrect assertion, then there is a need to correct it, especially when a big deal is made out of it. This is part of the misinformation that has been going around for some time. You asked to see what was open source, now you have that information.

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 3:47 PM

Well clarification about the legal status of the importer is fine but there are to many assumptions floating around.

Zev0 ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 4:18 PM · edited Tue, 24 November 2015 at 4:19 PM

End of the day does it really matter? All that matters is the end result, and that is that SM does not have Dson natively implemented. Trying to decode the past isn't going to change that fact. Can we please drop this now? It is OT.

My Renderosity Store

chaecuna ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 5:30 PM

Male_M3dia posted at 12:27AM Wed, 25 November 2015 - #4240733

The content of the Wiki is CC BY 3.0, but not what is described in the Wiki. The difference is not trivial.

Let's instead stay on this subject. I'd like to see the licensing info of DSON, not just of its documentation.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 5:51 PM · edited Tue, 24 November 2015 at 5:53 PM

chaecuna posted at 6:48PM Tue, 24 November 2015 - #4240764

Male_M3dia posted at 12:27AM Wed, 25 November 2015 - #4240733

The content of the Wiki is CC BY 3.0, but not what is described in the Wiki. The difference is not trivial.

Let's instead stay on this subject. I'd like to see the licensing info of DSON, not just of its documentation.

In a thread about Poser 11 preview? Pass. Get back to the subject at hand. Send a help ticket to DAZ if you're so inclined; they'll be more than happy to give you all info you need. But that probably won't happen.

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 6:18 PM

Are you a Daz Representative?

Zev0 ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 6:19 PM · edited Tue, 24 November 2015 at 6:23 PM

This is funny, Daz users wanting to get back to talking about Poser, Poser users wanting to continue talking about Daz....MM3 don't even bother responding to these trolls.

My Renderosity Store

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 6:21 PM

BTW your end of the day question is not mine.

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 6:31 PM

chaecuna posted at 1:31AM Wed, 25 November 2015 - #4240764

Maybe i have missed it but i never found a serious answer about it. But who knows, maybe it is easier to find the answer by asking: Which non DAZ application has native support for the DSON data format?

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 6:35 PM

Open Format and Open Source are two entirely different animals, so I think I've demonstrated that at least -one- Poser person understands the difference. And you know, that 'DMCA nonsense', otherwise known as barrier to reverse engineering, which the far too broadly worded DMCA act failed to address properly, is what keeps a lot of people from using open formats to create plugins; they can be slapped with a DMCA C&D for reverse engineering, so why risk it?

And actually Zev, it does matter. This is a purely text environment; that means precision of definition and wording is King.

I will be so glad when P11Pro gets here...there's a spot on my CG box just waiting for it. I know I got the manipulation gizmo I asked for, so I get to start a whole new list of wanna's when it finally gets here and I start checking it out! I really wish I had it now so I could get into some of the meatier discussions, but oh well. The wait is worth having the physical media copy IMHO.

Zev0 ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 7:01 PM · edited Tue, 24 November 2015 at 7:04 PM

And actually Zev, it does matter. This is a purely text environment; that means precision of definition and wording is King.

Lol I could have called it Tomato Source and it wouldn't really matter now would it? Genesis won't magically work natively in Poser all because I used a different word. Bottom line, the Dson format is OPEN, doesn't matter what I choose to call it, SM chose not to incorporate it. That is all that matters. How about you focus on that aspect? If you people want to obsess over correct terminology to make you feel better, please go ahead:) Now please, back on topic.

My Renderosity Store

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 24 November 2015 at 7:23 PM

No, it really wouldn't have mattered. You still would have been wrong. But please, keep tap-dancing and breast beating; the entertainment value is acceptable.

And for this Poser user, DSON is nothing. It is irrelevant, as are the resources it purports to convert for Poser usage. So why would I waste time focusing on an irrelevancy? I mean, I know its supposed to be one of the 'in' things on the net, but why waste the time?

And I don't know about 'you people', but I focus on correct terminology for very specific reasons. I am a writer, and have far too much respect for the language and the power of words to just flap my jaw and hope what comes out is intelligible, never mind tossing alphabet salad on a page and hoping no one bothers to check my accuracy. I also indulge in the sciences, where precision is kind of mission critical. For that matter, precision in terms in critical in just about any computer based endeavor not involving a touchscreen GUI. Never mind that the more precise I am, the less likely it is for anyone else to be able to misinterpret me. :)

And if you look, I've been on topic, as I've also discussed P11 in each post. Like I really hope that the animation stuff that Nerd has hinted is in process finally brings a solution to the ancient IK solver. iClone Pro is proving a nice Motion Builder alternative, but Pro and 3DXchang is kinda pricy. But if you can afford it, or get v5 on sale, you can build custom motions that Poser can use just fine. I really hope they can implement IK toggle and IK pinning, though.

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2015 at 4:19 AM

I have to thank you again, Dale. You nailed it.

I have asked very simple but important questions regarding legal relevant information. I hoped to get it here but all i got was several attempts to make me part of some kind of strange game. Nothing of real relevance and for me just a waste of time.

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2015 at 5:21 AM

You're welcome, Nagra_00_ ;) I can't claim to have been on the net since the days of ARPA, but I have been since the days of GEnie and before AOL was a glimmer in some corporate drone's eye. So precision was something I kinda learned from the get go. When you are dealing with questions that tread into the realm of Mickey Mouse laws, poorly defined concepts like IP rights, and the DMCA, you have to assume each and every word is wrapped with razor wire and filled with stale nitroglycerin.

As to the strange game, well, that has been going on since Poser 5 was introduced, and just about all the evidence has been lost as to what was actually said in the disappearances of sites, and the multiple purges of the boards both here and and DAZ. Maybe it still exists on the Wayback Machine, or another archiving service, but at this point it isn't relevant, and the strange game has taken on a life of its own, like all energy beasts do.

Aaaand to remain on topic, doesn't Superfly look cool when used properly?

Nagra_00_ ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2015 at 7:10 AM

I do remember ARPA and Simtel20 quite well. There was also DECnet available at that time. Later when the WWW was started i had been a first mover and you know what, legal was our biggest department. Kind of sad but a necessity.

Yes, Poser11 looks good! It still lacks some improvements i was looking for but its getting better all the time. Cycles seems to have lots of potential but i am not so much in PBR because i don’t own one of those 1000+ Watt entropy monsters to get it go smoothly. The main purpose of my machine is still DAW.

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2015 at 11:07 AM

Whelp, I got my PPro 11. Got it installed. And have the blank library pane issue. Have also tried one AIR hack, which fails. So I guess I get to wait to see if there is a fix, or if the fact I haven't let Win 7 update since I got it stable a couple years ago (and most assuredly did not allow IE11) means I didn't get the required HTML5 libraries. Or if Norton is being a putz about it.

I love configuration issues....

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2015 at 2:20 PM

Dale B posted at 2:20PM Wed, 25 November 2015 - #4240894

Whelp, I got my PPro 11. Got it installed. And have the blank library pane issue. Have also tried one AIR hack, which fails. So I guess I get to wait to see if there is a fix, or if the fact I haven't let Win 7 update since I got it stable a couple years ago (and most assuredly did not allow IE11) means I didn't get the required HTML5 libraries. Or if Norton is being a putz about it.

I love configuration issues....

I thought AIR was gone and the new library pane was HTML5?

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2015 at 4:00 PM · edited Wed, 25 November 2015 at 4:00 PM

The new library is HTML5, but AIR is still in there, and if you are having issues with the new library, at least some folks have been able to start the AIR library after starting P-11 and use that for scanning your runtime and loading things. According to Netherworks and Nerd3D (iirc), there is no mechanism left to -save- things back to the library, but for loading and viewing, you can fire up AIR.

Some folks are having issues with the new library that have been reported already, so if you are one of the unlucky ones, its workarounds until the first SR, which is coming very soon as it is mostly launch bug fixes they say.

CobraBlade ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2015 at 6:03 PM

Just out of curiosity Dale, do you have Preview Drawings set to OpenGL Hardware? Might be unrelated, but I use to have issues with the old library in versions of Poser I used prior to Poser Pro 2014, so I had to use SreeD Software. I know it's a long shot, with this being an all new library 'n' all, but couldn't hurt to try it.

Poser scripts by Snarlygribbly

Tracybee ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2015 at 7:47 PM

MistyLaraPrincess posted at 7:47PM Sat, 28 November 2015 - #4239539

does the perpetual key come with the box version?

Has anyone answered this yet? Sorry if I missed the answer...

WILL_I_AM ( ) posted Mon, 30 November 2015 at 9:35 PM

OMG Just wanted to see if Poser 11 was worth upgrade from Poser Pro Dev w/realism 4 or not. Got another DAZ v Poser thread.

carrara_pat ( ) posted Tue, 01 December 2015 at 2:11 PM

I am waiting to upgrade. Not interested in Superfly.... how is that better than Reality... how many PBR render engines do we need? The new figures Pauline and Paul (not even ready yet) are getting little support from SM or other sites/PAs. The divorce between Poser and DAZ seems final for whatever reason or fault. I get dynamic cloth in earlier versions of Poser so I don't see a need to shell out the money for an upgrade.

consumer573 ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2015 at 4:06 AM · edited Thu, 03 December 2015 at 4:13 AM

I bought the physical version because I wanted the perpetual key. That nonsense with going from a secure standalone machine to an internet machine while having to keep the standalone machine 'on' and then back again with a two month or three month or six month key just to keep one program (Poser) operational was really stupid. I would not have bought Poser 11 Pro if it did not have the perpetual key, and will not install it until I know it doesn't have an unexpected Smith Micro 'Kill Switch.' Especially with all the Library problems I'm hearing about. I, too, stopped updating Win 7 once I got it stable, and dread having to go back to the web and update it for Smith Micro.

Has anybody answered the MistyLaraPrincess question above about the perpetual key?

What is the minimum version of Windows 7 that I need?

Sorry if it's been answered in this thread already.

Thank you.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2015 at 4:43 AM · edited Thu, 03 December 2015 at 4:44 AM

consumer573 posted at 5:38AM Thu, 03 December 2015 - #4242153

I bought the physical version because I wanted the perpetual key. That nonsense with going from a secure standalone machine to an internet machine while having to keep the standalone machine 'on' and then back again with a two month or three month or six month key just to keep one program (Poser) operational was really stupid. I would not have bought Poser 11 Pro if it did not have the perpetual key, and will not install it until I know it doesn't have an unexpected Smith Micro 'Kill Switch.' Especially with all the Library problems I'm hearing about. I, too, stopped updating Win 7 once I got it stable, and dread having to go back to the web and update it for Smith Micro.

Has anybody answered the MistyLaraPrincess question above about the perpetual key?

What is the minimum version of Windows 7 that I need?

Sorry if it's been answered in this thread already.

Thank you.

You probably could have gotten the downloadable version as you're going through the same activation process as that version. The license server for the permanent activation isn't ready from what I've read, so you will need to keep the activation updated until it is, and keep checking with support on the status of that server. Offline activation isn't the same as permanent.

consumer573 ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2015 at 5:38 AM · edited Thu, 03 December 2015 at 5:53 AM

Thanks, Male_M3dia, on the permanent activation score. I guess I'll have to wait. My Game Developer for PPro2014 is going to be killed again shortly and I'm going to have to go through the rig-a-ma-roll to keep it going. I only want to go through that once with PPro11. And I want a good look ahead on what is in store for me with the Libraries situation.

I try to buy the physical versions because (a) I don't have to download and port over and (b) because If I get attached to a software (a stable version and stable machine that it runs on efficiently), or if the company management changes (Mirye Shade) I can pull out a labeled box along with its archived SRs in the event of an HD crash and restore it cleanly. Many times companies can go years without making a meaningful update for things I am interested in, unless I need to upgrade for professional reasons. In the case with Poser and multiple runtime libraries having a known means for backup that works with Poser files I have created is all the more important otherwise things get convoluted real quickly.

Also, Hard copy issues often come with some hardcopy documentation that I would otherwise have to archive or create. I just like having the pictures and the professional labeling. I'm a simpleton in that regard.

Any word on what level of Windows 7 is required?

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2015 at 6:37 AM

http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-pro-11-system-requirements.html

Windows 7 should be fine. Keep in mind though that microsoft support on windows 7 ends either next year or the year after so you won't get security updates. If you don't want to go to windows 10, I would look for a copy of Windows 8 and keep it for later.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2015 at 2:29 PM

Windows 7 is already out of mainstream support (13th January this year) but will get security updates until 14th January 2020

MaPPer ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2015 at 3:25 AM

Question about the PP 11 search function. I know that in prior posers that when you did a search, you had the option to go to the folder that the item you were searching for, once found. I have yet to find that option. Does it exist ?

MaPPer ( ) posted Fri, 04 December 2015 at 3:35 AM · edited Fri, 04 December 2015 at 3:35 AM

Forgot to mention those having problems with blank Library windows, there's a refresh button down in the lower left or maybe its the right corner of the library panel.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Tue, 08 December 2015 at 7:17 AM

SR1 is available in the Download manager. Have fun using the new Poser tools, best regards, Tony

hebrewman ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2016 at 11:43 AM

My question is in the image above of paul , is that a style effect that I can buy ?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2016 at 12:11 PM

hebrewman posted at 12:10PM Sun, 10 January 2016 - #4248286

My question is in the image above of paul , is that a style effect that I can buy ?

Do you mean the comic book style render in the first post? That render style option is a feature of P11; you wouldn't need to buy anything.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

hebrewman ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2016 at 12:29 PM

seachnasaigh , Im talking about the image of paul in the Red and Blue superhero suit it looks almost painted or smudged !! I have pro 11

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2016 at 12:32 PM

That effect is built into P11. I haven't been playing it, myself, so I'll defer to others on "how to".

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

hebrewman ( ) posted Sun, 10 January 2016 at 12:44 PM

thanks very much , ill try playing with it a little more !!

wolfmanjim ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2016 at 2:36 PM

I installed P11 and found searching my extensive libraries to be sluggish and incomplete. So I tried to go back to P10, but now I can't find the library because of a FLash issue.

Tony_Stark ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2016 at 8:32 AM

Does Poser 11 handle DAZ Genesis products?! If not, it's useless to me.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2016 at 9:32 AM

Poser 11 supports the DSON Importer as before, nothing has changed in respect to the use of Genesis figures as far as I know.

Tony_Stark ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2016 at 12:45 PM

The DSON Importer does not satisfy my needs, or that of many others. Does Poser 11 handle Genesis 3 figures?!

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2016 at 2:14 PM

No, not completely. There is no DSON support, for one, and creating a .cr2 straight from DAZStudio will lack any facial manipulation because Genesis 3 figures have additional rigging in that area. Only generating morph targets from DS will work for Poser.

Mec4D ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2016 at 1:27 PM

Hi guys, I have a question , can I use HDRI environment maps to light up the scene in Poser Pro 11 with unbiasing rendering , or it still use just light probes as before ? I was about to upgrade but can't find the info about , thanks in advance. Cath

"Surrender to what it is - Let go of what was - Have faith in what will be "

prinzeugen12 ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2016 at 4:25 PM

I just finished downloading Poser 11... I have the hard copy of Poser 10 so this is an upgrade... I have Windows 7 on my computer.. The download installed a shortcut on my descktop. I click the shortcut and it wants registration info before it will start Poser 11... I have always purchased the physical copy of Poser in the past .. I haven't been able to start Poser 11 as it states there is something wrong with my serial numbers on my new or previous copy.... So in the serial numbers are those Zeros or the letter O ??? I have tried both and gotten nowhere !! I thought for 49.00 half off I would try the download... Any help out there ???

prinzeugen12 ( ) posted Thu, 31 March 2016 at 7:02 PM

ok, I called there help line and Poser 11 now works.. I like the new render engine.... I cant get my linked runtimes to work all that great yet but I will figure it out.... Pauline needs alot of work!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.