Thu, Sep 19, 10:55 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: How to reposition eyes with morph

flyerx ( ) posted Mon, 14 December 2015 at 9:57 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:43 PM

Poser 11 pro, Windows 10 64bit

I would like to know how to move the eye centers with a single master head scale dial. I can set the center for each size easily in the joint parameters but it would be better if they adjust automatically. I know Victoria 4 does this perfectly but I could not find any information on how it is done.

I also tried to use dependent parameters to move the eye centers but there is no center parameter available for linking to the master dial. Only offsets were shown but those are not explained in the manual.

I am using the Victoria 2 figure with a head morph that scales the head and eyes.

thanks for any info.

Morkonan ( ) posted Mon, 14 December 2015 at 11:03 PM

You can create a dial and "teach it" your morph. There's a short tutorial/walkthrough in the Poser manual on how to create dial-controlled morphs and joint control morphs and other dependent morphs. It's pretty straightforward, once you get the hang of it.

Check for hidden dials using Scenefixer. Click on the body part, go to Scripts -> Scenefixer ->Dials and highlight the dials you wish displayed, then click on "Apply changes." Note that the "translate" dials don't have to be named "x trans" (Etc). And, you can also change the origin (center) as well.

flyerx ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2015 at 2:21 AM

I know how to create master morphs and dependencies. The problem is trying to control the center points of the eyes (where they rotate about). There is no entry in the parameters for a master dial to link to. Even with all the hidden parameters shown.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2015 at 5:19 AM

Just translate the eyes - the centres will translate with them. Do not include the eye movement in the morph targets for the eyes, just in the head where you move the sockets. If you look at the rigging for V4's eyes in her CR2 you'll see valueOpDeltaAdd sections relating to the EyeWidth and FaceSize controls among others.

pikesPit ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2015 at 12:08 PM

Well, here's my suggestion:

Instead of slaving the eyes to every single head morph that's out there, why not morph/sculpt the face first, disregarding the eyes completely?

Only when you're finished, move the eyes into position!

Observation I made is, the more facial morphs you use, the bigger the chance is that the eyes go totally out of whack - see the numerous "eyes fix" injection poses in a lot of commercial characters.

Here's what I did:

In the "head" actor, I created 4 new "Master Parameters", called "Eyes Scale", "Eyes xTran", "Eyes yTran", and "Eyes zTran".

Then start "teaching" the dials to make both eyes scale or move with the master dial. (it would be a good idea to use inverse values for the eyes's "xTran" master, so you can easily move the eyes together/apart: left eye=negative, right eye=positive / or vice versa)

When you've finished, set the master dials's "Sensitivity" to a value which allows you to position or scale the eyes with the precision of tenth of a millimetre (e.g., when your units are "metres", set "Sensitivity" value at "0.001" for scale and "0.00001" for translations - or whatever suits your needs).

With this, you have "total eyes control" with the flick of just four buttons.

One more thing (TM):

Remember that when using the morph brush in the face, it will also "morph" the eyeballs, which might give you "unexpected" surprises. So, when using the morph brush, either set it to only work on the "head" actor (set "groups"), or else make sure to delete the morphs from the eyeballs afterwards! ALWAYS make sure that your head morphs don't affect the geometry of the eyeballs actors!

And finally, don't forget to save your figure (with the new dials) back to your library for future use: e.g. "V2 Eyes Fix" or something.

HTH

Peter

pikesPit ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2015 at 12:13 PM · edited Tue, 15 December 2015 at 12:14 PM

@ EnglishBob:

your avatar...

LMAOROTF!!!

Brilliant.

Peter

Morkonan ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2015 at 2:22 PM

flyerx posted at 2:10PM Tue, 15 December 2015 - #4244277

I know how to create master morphs and dependencies. The problem is trying to control the center points of the eyes (where they rotate about). There is no entry in the parameters for a master dial to link to. Even with all the hidden parameters shown.

I took a look in my library and I don't think I have V2. I can't remember how she's constructed. I have the Baby, Preteen, Preschool, etc, but I can't find the CR2 for Victoria 2... Weird. (My library is full of crap... ) However, in the V2 family of Millenium characters that I have, the eyes have translate dials and they move/rotate as would be expected, with the hiearchy of the object center being maintained, first, and only then, the relative rotations.

I can't find my V2 CR2. I might have "cleaned" it out, by accident, or I had it in an older install, somewhere. (Never really used any of those, much, but got them, anyway.) You might want to check to see if there is a Pose injection file for that. They might have used it to add translate dials. Not sure.

However, if the eyes are showing up as separate groups, then you can use Magnets to create the morphs you want. You can then save those morphs as Morph Targets for each eye and slave those morph target dials to a master dial or a JCM. You can also use JCMs to control Magnets, so don't forget about that if it's a solution you'd rather use.

If you wish, you can also export the figure's geometry, using the same procedure as one would if exporting the figure for morphing in a 3D app (plenty of tutes on that or, if you need, I'll tell you how to do it, just ask) and then simply move, scale, and position the eyes as you wish in the 3D application and export those eye groups, one at a time, and then import them as morph targets to the eyes in Poser. This requires no CR2 fiddly bits in order to do and the morph target will not superseded the object's center, since the eyes are a "rigged" groups. Wings3D is free, simple to use, and you can accomplish your morphs for the eyes in the matter of a few minutes.

flyerx ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2015 at 2:11 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I was able to fix this by deleting the head morph dial from the eyes. Since the eye centers are automatically adjusted when they are moved then I could link the eye positions and scales to the head morph directly. Works perfectly.

I was overthinking it by believing that the eye centers were not adjusted automatically.

Morkonan ( ) posted Thu, 17 December 2015 at 12:45 PM

Grats!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.