Mon, Sep 9, 3:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:17 am)

Subject: Is there a tool to install Renderosity products in Content Folder?

Vorlath ( ) posted Wed, 07 June 2017 at 8:08 PM ยท edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 9:57 AM

As the title says. If not, I might create one (you'll still have to manually download the zips though). But if one already exists, I'd rather do that.

donnena ( ) posted Wed, 07 June 2017 at 10:36 PM

one does not exist!

I'll be THRILLED to death to test this for you if you decide to proceed!

;>

Andy!

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 08 June 2017 at 9:33 AM

There are two programs in existence that can do that. DAZ3D does sell one but the name escapes me ATM. There is a freebie that can do that also. However, you need to generate those install files manually first in order to use them with DIM. The freebie I have used and it does work very well for converting typical zips to DIM ready zips. But it is a hassle to attempt conversions of many files, too time-consuming.

Vorlath ( ) posted Thu, 08 June 2017 at 6:18 PM

With DIM, there are special files that must be in the zip. I don't want to convert the zips to DIM installable zips. I just want to install them.

Ok, so looks like I'll start writing an app that does this. Let's get some requirements. Ability to specify more than one content folder is a must. So for each content folder, you'll create a zip store folder. You dump your zips in the respective folder and run the app and it'll put the files in the proper content folder.

Next, I need a list of folders to look for in the zip that will be copied to the content folder since each zip has a different nesting level (ex Content)

By default, these will be copied (user can configure this): runtime, data, people, presets, shader presets, environments

Ignore folders: documentation

Any unrecognized folders will prompt the user whether to copy to content folder or ignore.

Will need conflict resolution options when overwriting files.

A list of what's been installed and ability to uninstall (and restore any overwritten files). Log file.

I think that should be a good start. If you have ideas or features you want to see, let me know.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 08 June 2017 at 9:48 PM

A lot of users will appreciate this :).

Laurie

bhoins ( ) posted Sun, 11 June 2017 at 3:15 PM ยท edited Sun, 11 June 2017 at 3:18 PM

hborre posted at 2:13PM Sun, 11 June 2017 - #4307031

There are two programs in existence that can do that. DAZ3D does sell one but the name escapes me ATM. There is a freebie that can do that also. However, you need to generate those install files manually first in order to use them with DIM. The freebie I have used and it does work very well for converting typical zips to DIM ready zips. But it is a hassle to attempt conversions of many files, too time-consuming.

https://www.daz3d.com/content-package-assist is the one sold at Daz 3D. It does exactly what it says on the tin, it is quick and painless.

Note it does one, less obvious thing, it adds the product to the DS Smart Content Product list, making creation of smart content for the product much easier.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Mon, 12 June 2017 at 2:33 PM

The problem is there are still a lot of outliers, zip files that don't use the same directory structure. I think you will probably run into problems trying to account for all the permutations. Particularly with some of the older installs, but I still run into it with some of the new ones.

Prof_Null ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2017 at 5:14 PM

This is why I still use DS 4.8. I didn't know there was a tool that would put my Poser content into the Smart Content list (Thanks hborre!)
My problem is that when I tried 4.9 it would not let me create new directories my own way which is infuriating. There are always things that don't fit with the "official" system and I need the choice of moving things around for a variety of reasons.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 18 June 2017 at 2:47 PM

Prof_Null posted at 2:44PM Sun, 18 June 2017 - #4307771

This is why I still use DS 4.8. I didn't know there was a tool that would put my Poser content into the Smart Content list (Thanks hborre!)
My problem is that when I tried 4.9 it would not let me create new directories my own way which is infuriating. There are always things that don't fit with the "official" system and I need the choice of moving things around for a variety of reasons.

Directories or categories? Content installed "the old way" (via DIM or manually) behaves i the same way as before; content installed Via Connect is tied to its default locations, though you can place shortcuts in other locations (drag-and-drop) outside the Connect virtual folders. Categories, it is suggested you set up your own category tree parallel to the default tree.

Prof_Null ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2017 at 3:16 AM

So (RHaseltine) you are saying that it should work just the same as it did in DS 4.8? Note that I don't use Smart Content - only the Content Library where I have everythiing under "Categories". Okay, I will try again installing 4.9 over the weekend and see if it works now.

MerlinUSA ( ) posted Thu, 22 June 2017 at 11:04 AM ยท edited Thu, 22 June 2017 at 11:06 AM

bhoins posted at 12:03PM Thu, 22 June 2017 - #4307310

hborre posted at 2:13PM Sun, 11 June 2017 - #4307031

https://www.daz3d.com/content-package-assist is the one sold at Daz 3D. It does exactly what it says on the tin, it is quick and painless.

Note it does one, less obvious thing, it adds the product to the DS Smart Content Product list, making creation of smart content for the product much easier.

Thanks! I've added that to my Wishlist, and will try it ASAP! I have WAY too much money invested in third party software to simply abandon all of it!

bhoins ( ) posted Thu, 22 June 2017 at 7:29 PM

Prof_Null posted at 6:26PM Thu, 22 June 2017 - #4307909

So (RHaseltine) you are saying that it should work just the same as it did in DS 4.8? Note that I don't use Smart Content - only the Content Library where I have everythiing under "Categories". Okay, I will try again installing 4.9 over the weekend and see if it works now.

Yes, with one exception, the database got an update in 4.9 to make it more stable so it will take a moment longer to launch the first time you load up 4.9. (How much longer depends on how much content you have.)

Prof_Null ( ) posted Sat, 24 June 2017 at 4:56 AM

Nope. Same as above. Back to 4.8, good thing I have backups.

Howy2012 ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2017 at 10:34 PM

I'd love to see something like that for the Mac.

Merging files manually is slow and if you make one tiny mistake, it wipes out everything with no option to undo. I know from recent experience. I guess I didn't hold down the ALT key long enough and it overwrote Data, People and Runtime.

Now I have to reinstall everything non-Daz store manually and that is going to take forever.

Gods forbid I make another mistake, or I will have to then start all over again.

Prof_Null ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2017 at 3:08 AM

Howy2012: I use a small app called dittoGUI that will put all your stuff in the right folders - I'm on a Mac too. there is a small fee for it. You still need to load one folder at a time (basically one unzipped downloaded item from Renderosity) but it's a lot better than having to copy ever single item one at a time. I recommend it. Also, I suggest putting all of your content on a seperate drive and (of course) backing up regularly.

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2017 at 8:03 AM

Can please anbody explain, what I am missing. I use the free 7zip. You just open your zip file, browse to the target folder- easy. Works with any poser or DAZStudio zip file.

Howy2012 ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2017 at 9:24 AM

Prof_Null posted at 9:23AM Wed, 05 July 2017 - #4308822

Howy2012: I use a small app called dittoGUI that will put all your stuff in the right folders - I'm on a Mac too. there is a small fee for it. You still need to load one folder at a time (basically one unzipped downloaded item from Renderosity) but it's a lot better than having to copy ever single item one at a time. I recommend it. Also, I suggest putting all of your content on a seperate drive and (of course) backing up regularly.

Hey Prof! You may have just saved my life! (or, at least many. many hours of it!) Many, many thanks! (and yes, learned my lesson - external drive and a backup!) Thanks again, Howy

perpetualrevision ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2018 at 3:29 PM

Howy2012 posted at 2:19PM Wed, 18 July 2018 - #4308816

I'd love to see something like that for the Mac.

Merging files manually is slow and if you make one tiny mistake, it wipes out everything with no option to undo. I know from recent experience. I guess I didn't hold down the ALT key long enough and it overwrote Data, People and Runtime.

Now I have to reinstall everything non-Daz store manually and that is going to take forever.

Gods forbid I make another mistake, or I will have to then start all over again.

Some day I'll write up a full tutorial on this, but for now this tip should be helpful to Mac users:

If you download and extract the zip file on a USB thumb drive or other external drive, you will get the option to "merge folders" (if applicable) when you copy a product's subfolders into the relevant folders in your Poser runtime. That way you don't have to remember to hold down any keys, nor do you have to copy items at the subfolder level.

For example, let's say I just got a new product by Cybertenko (and I already have several of his installed). From the unzipped download file (which is on a thumb drive), I would just choose the Cybertenko folder in Geometries and drag it to the Geometries folder on my internal drive. I'll get the option to "merge," and all new folders and sub-folders will be merged with the existing ones, with nothing deleted. Same with the Textures folder.

My Poser library is so heavily customized/organized that no automatic installer would ever suit my needs, and I also like to know exactly what I'm installing, so I do it manually. But I have a system worked out that makes it fast and fairly painless. The key (at least for Mac users) is to install content from an external drive, not from the same drive that holds your Poser runtime.

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles

Howy2012 ( ) posted Thu, 26 July 2018 at 8:47 AM

perpetualrevision posted at 8:46AM Thu, 26 July 2018 - #4333363

Thanks for the response! Yep, that is what I have started doing as well. Seems to work well!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.