Sun, Oct 6, 7:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Advice for a new monitor

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 1:46 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 7:33 AM

Hi, I plan to purchase a new monitor this month and I am hesitating between 2 of them. One is AOC 24E1Q which is a 23.8" IPS screen and the other is 24.5" Iiyama G-MASTER G2530HSU-B1. The Iiyama is fit for 3D "gaming" and the other would be cool for photography. Knowing I don't play games my concern is for Blender because I favor the AOC choice because of the IPS screen. But I am wondering if a lower refresh rate would alter the Blender performance at all, or any other consequence. As well for Poser and Daz Studio.
Since I have no idea I would like to have your opinion. Thank you.
Yarp

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

SheikhalMaktoum ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 4:42 AM

When asking for hardware advice you'll get better results from magazines like ( https://msgfocus.com/files/amf_future_publishing/workspace_63/landing_page/maximum_pc_landing_page_updated.html ) and ( https://archive.org/details/computer_power_user (publisher is presently being reorganized, get it at the newsstand). These folks have the resources to buy and test hundreds of items and (most importantly) have the technical skill and experience. Despite folks best intentions, any advice you get from here or any other online forum will be anecdotal.

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 5:15 AM

Thanks for the advice and the links. I will check them out. There are several reasons why I am posting here:

• here, people here have experience in 3D modelling. On these magazine I will mainly get answers on a game engine perspective which is not the same need. Who make difference between a 3D game and a 3D editor ?
  • if I post on these forums I will have to register. For just one question it is overkill. I am not sure I will have a wiser answer than here but I am almost sure my e-mail will be sold and that I will be spamed.

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 7:09 AM

Ok, I think I have an answer. I still have a concern with Evee since it is using a real time rendering pipeline but I am not really into rendering with Blender, mostly using it as a modeler.
"It’s usually better to go for a monitor with an IPS panel instead of a TN panel. IPS display panels have better color and better contrast."
from here:Best Workstation Computer for 3D Modeling and Rendering

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 7:56 AM
Forum Moderator

When I was putting my new system together I had to take several factors into account mainly my eyes are going bad with age really sucks lol. But I went with 2 LG ultra wide monitors at 29 inch dual set up I am happy with how Blender looks when modeling on these monitors renders from Poser and Daz both render nicely but that is more my graphic card I think than the monitors themselves hope this helps some not sure if I answered your question but maybe the input will help

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 9:05 AM

Hi Lobo, sure it helps. Thank you for your answer. These 2 are only 24 inch monitors, 29 it would be nice to have. I too take greater care of my eyes, nowadays. This is another factor while I favor the IPS screen solution. I was mainly wondering if it would be slow while manipulating objects (rotating, moving, scaling,...) knowing that monitor doesn't have the best refr'esh rate. When working on Poser I noticed I have difficulties to precisely rotate objects. is it because of Poser, not enough memory, the monitor ? Not the same problem with Blender but I only have much smaller objetcs in Blender.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 12:42 PM
Forum Moderator

With Poser or Daz I have never been able to get precise object rotation or any transformation unless I just use the dials and type in a numeric measurement With Blender I have found doing precise movements and transformation allot easier and the snapping features are pretty darn precise. When I built this machine which is now going on two years old I went overboard everywhere I could and memory at the time was at a bargain made sure my system is 64 bit so it would take advantage of all the memory put into it and I have had pretty satisfactory results. In the long run I think Both Poser and Daz require tweaking for what you want to achieve at times and sure that that in both the Daz and Poser forums members have shared tricks and tips to help using both software

Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU RAM 6 GB 2816 CUDA Cores

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 1:21 PM

My 3D computer is just one year old and I am completing it this year with that monitor,.Current one is 22 inches (same resolution as the 24 inches above).
RAM 16 GB NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 RAM 8 GB,.
Similar to yours except I have much smaller monitors.I will add more RAM this fall but honestly 16 GB ok for now (even with the greedy Poser ).
Poser renders are now a joy, it took me one hour and a half to render scenes that now only take minutes.
As for Blender, yes it is a very well done software and I find 2.8 is rather intuitive.
I am mainly editing Poser OBJs with it and compared with the other software I was using for this before (Nvil from Digital fossil) Blender handles huge objects with ease. No moe crashes, navigation in the viewpor is fluid. I love it.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 1:29 PM
Forum Moderator

I am still having some Blender 2.8 troubles mostly is the new navigation and where things are from where they use to be do find the light theme much more appealing than the dark theme the light one is much easier on the eyes and just found where to change while looking up some info for another user. I plan on upgrading my GPU sometime this year but sort of disappointing that most of the new GPU I have looked at either have less or equal cuda cores that my current card has

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 1:56 PM

Sure, I have the same problem with tutorials. But it is less difficult for me because I was not used to 2.7. Last year I decided to wait for 2.8 before moving to Blender for that very reason.
Now there are more and more 2.8 tutorials being published and things are more and more easy as I practice.
The advantage on you I have is that I am starting with 2.8. 😁 So everything is new and nice to me.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 2:02 PM
Forum Moderator

You have a point but I have to try and be current on most of the new stuff coming to Blender I feel the hardest thing to over come will be the change of some of the keyboard short cuts that have changed and the UI I need to buckle down and spend some hours going thru some of the newer tutorials and getting the feel for it before it does get finally released

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 2:43 PM · edited Mon, 06 May 2019 at 2:45 PM

Sure there's no reason to rush.
I've watched a video last week from the Blender Developper channel. The guy said that 2.8 was just the beginning but there are many more fancy stuff coming in the long run. For this fall I recall he talked about asset managment and collections. We've got plenty of fun ahead, and also tutorials :)

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 8:00 PM
Forum Moderator

I have seen a few asset manger add-ons for a price but Blender does not have one unique to itself or at least not to the level of some of the paid add-ons I have looked at a few of the hard surface modeling add-ons and they all look useful but trying to narrow down to one I am willing to invest in has not come easy have you looked at any of them just curious

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 06 May 2019 at 10:42 PM

Nope, not yet. But as you can imagine I am most curious about that.

SheikhalMaktoum ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2019 at 5:34 AM · edited Tue, 07 May 2019 at 5:34 AM

yarp posted at 5:17AM Tue, 07 May 2019 - #4351312

Thanks for the advice and the links. I will check them out. There are several reasons why I am posting here:

• here, people here have experience in 3D modelling. On these magazine I will mainly get answers on a game engine perspective which is not the same need. Who make difference between a 3D game and a 3D editor ?
  • if I post on these forums I will have to register. For just one question it is overkill. I am not sure I will have a wiser answer than here but I am almost sure my e-mail will be sold and that I will be spamed.

You don't have to join anything. The magazines are available either as a digital download (cheap) or on paper at your local newsstand. I read them both every month and keep notes on hardware I'm interested in.
It doesn't matter whether your killing brain sucking alien monsters or playing in Blender 2.8Beta (I do both) the quality of a monitor is the same. I've noticed over the years that the reviewers ARE mentioning aspects of interest to content creators and keeping us in mind when testing items like monitors. The gaming mags are fiercely independent and make a big deal about that point. Remember too that the people making games ARE 3D artists...and graphic artists and photographers and video editors and...pretty much anything else that involves pushing pixels around a screen. A note to keep in mind. Watch out for reviews in graphics magazines (no names mentioned). They are known to have less journalistic integrity and frequently give higher ratings to their advertisers.

Oh...before I forget. The bestest and most amazingest monitor in the world won't make a difference if it's not calibrated properly to display it's full colour and dynamic range. If you're serious about this get a ColorMunki ( http://colormunki.com/ ) or other calibration tool. We used the ColorMunki in the studio where I worked as a professional graphic artist to get the best out of our monitors and found it to be reasonably priced and reliable.

yarp ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2019 at 6:42 AM

I didn't realize you were talking about paper magazines. Sorry for that. These are serious advices for long term purchase. Thanks for the advice for the color calibration. Looks like it is an affordable solution.

SheikhalMaktoum ( ) posted Wed, 08 May 2019 at 4:44 AM

...and read up on colour gamuts, there are several choices and what you choose to display, work in, and save your files in can make a difference down the road if printing or sharing files with others. Colour management is an important part of digital workflow, and for the best advice you can't do better than this book either in print or digital,

https://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Color-Management-2nd/dp/0321267222

yarp ( ) posted Wed, 08 May 2019 at 10:52 AM

Thanks, I think I will purchase it. Though my main concern is more lightning and scene compositing than color.

SheikhalMaktoum ( ) posted Wed, 08 May 2019 at 3:43 PM

While we're yakking about monitors, here's an article on hard drive reliability https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2019/ They publish a new one every year. Articles like this are frequent on the ultimate geeks website, slashdot ( https://slashdot.org/ ). It's a great site and worthwhile browsing quickly each day. Don't make the mistake of reading comments since everyone on /. is over opinionated.

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 09 May 2019 at 12:56 AM

Thanks. HD reliabillity is a real concern, now that most of us have SSD drives. There is are a much greater risk to loose everything in case of a crash. And it is not easy to backup to Giga bytes of 3D models. What the hell will I ever do with all this :)

btw Yesterday evening I stumbled on a long video about monitors. In short: the IPS screen should be favored for 3D modelling because it has better contrasts and colors. So be it.

SheikhalMaktoum ( ) posted Thu, 09 May 2019 at 5:04 AM

When backing up your stuff, keep it simple. I made the mistake of trusting a hardware NAS with four drives in a Raid 5 setup. It eventually stopped responding because the hardware driver was cheap crap and it cost me several hundred bucks to get my stuff off of it. I now use a bunch of portable drives and back up EVERYTHING each month to two drives. This means that my important stuff is in three places. I have one collection of scans that's also on my internet computer making a total of four backups.

I use this program for backing up ( https://freefilesync.org/ ) because it's free, simple and fast. When I travel away from home, I take one copy of my backups with me. I keep another copy hidden behind the canning and preserves under the stairs in an old safe. No one would look there for valuables but it's mostly in case of fire. Ideally you keep a copy at your neighbours place. When I was working it was easy to let the IT folks take care of that stuff.

yarp ( ) posted Thu, 09 May 2019 at 6:32 AM

Yep, I didn't want a NAS because I don't trust that kind of network technology. I did the same as you. I have 2 copies on 2 different computers which I sync manually. And other copies on portable drives but here I am far less organized. Thanks for the link on FreeFileSync, I need such a tool.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.