Wed, Sep 18, 5:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 3:46 pm)

Subject: erogenesis and a new future for Poser @ Rendo

tonyvilters ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2019 at 2:28 PM

Whaw, what a nice respons. Greatly appreciated.

@ Ero Any figure that requires a manual to operate is dead at birth. => As I wrote, the "home alone end users" want to load, pose and render, and go to bed with a smile.

And that goes for all figures : See? With the most recent figures you get the same +/- 10 content builders building some stuff, running into a hard workload for a limited return, and going back to what has been known as "the standard".

What I think about Blender 2.8 can be answered with a simple task : Bake us an AO map, and bake us a Vertex color map.

erogenesis ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2019 at 3:32 PM · edited Sun, 23 June 2019 at 3:33 PM

Deecey posted at 10:20PM Sun, 23 June 2019 - #4354340

Most of us are, I think. SM really wasn't the right fit for Poser. Rendo's acquisition makes PERFECT sense.

100%

JohnDoe641 posted at 10:21PM Sun, 23 June 2019 - #4354341

SM was a horrible fit for Poser. SM was a corporate faceless entity. Who were they? I didn't know a single SM staff members name on the new team except for that one guy who rarely posted an update but then completely stopped a few months ago.

Here it's totally different, we know names and we know the people. The experience is already different and imho better just because for many of us, this is our Poser home.

Exactly my point, Rendo is far more rooted in this stuff than SM. They absolutely have the right mind-set from the get go. Not sure about the development side, but like with me, I knew jack about python or rigging 4 years ago. With some determination, the sky is the limit.

JVRenderer posted at 10:23PM Sun, 23 June 2019 - #4354355

Waves to Ero. Welcome back mate! Don't listen to these egotistic trolls with their infighting. You do what you envision to do and we'll support you!

Thanks my man. I'm just an artist like anyone here, I just want to make comics and I will stop at nothing to make it happen. Considering people like what I do, I thought I might try to let people profit from it a little. I'm not perfect, I was a little in over my head, but I'm happy I made PE. Like with the development of PE, it was a start-stop affair, because I do need to keep my sanity grounded somehow. it needs to stay fun, but it also needs to stay exciting.

tonyvilters posted at 10:28PM Sun, 23 June 2019 - #4354362

@ Ero Any figure that requires a manual to operate is dead at birth.

If that was true, then Blender wouldn't have come this far. hehe but I know what you mean and you are kind of right, except that PE herself in a scene is relatively easy to use. Its the rigging that's harder than other Poser figures. Of course if we use dynamic clothing, its not a problem, but that's not where the money is, is it? I was hoping this would excite SM that they would refine some of the already existing tools a little, and making content for PE would have been much easier already... but yeah.

What I think about Blender 2.8 can be answered with a simple task : Bake us an AO map, and bake us a Vertex color map.

huh? is that missing from blender? I think the UI is a vast improvement.

"The fool is not the one that does something foolish, but the one that does nothing at all."

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2019 at 3:39 PM

erogenesis posted at 1:23PM Sun, 23 June 2019 - #4354329

But again, I could be wrong, but looking at the world around me, it stumps me how SM could have missed the obvious. DAZ started from scratch, and they nailed it.

To be fair, DS took 5 years before the public ever saw it, and they did have the advantage of seeing what did and did not work: Not just with Poser, but with Lightwave, Modo (which acted as a very nice UI model to take design ideas from), 3DS Max, Maya, Mirai (another bit o' inspiration). They were also blessed in that they weren't limping from one fiscal quarter to the next - they had full and unequivocal support, and more than enough of an investment to make it happen.

Poser on the other hand was dead, then came back to life, then nearly died with a really crappy upgrade from P4/PP, but then got bought and was beat to crap as it passed from company to company throughout the dot-bust era... I'm kind of surprised that it's still alive

So, I say again, I think Rendo might have a standing chance. I hope they succeed, they have my support.

Ditto.

erogenesis ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2019 at 4:49 PM

Penguinisto posted at 11:41PM Sun, 23 June 2019 - #4354379

But again, I could be wrong, but looking at the world around me, it stumps me how SM could have missed the obvious. DAZ started from scratch, and they nailed it.

To be fair, DS took 5 years before the public ever saw it, and they did have the advantage of seeing what did and did not work: Not just with Poser, but with Lightwave, Modo (which acted as a very nice UI model to take design ideas from), 3DS Max, Maya, Mirai (another bit o' inspiration). They were also blessed in that they weren't limping from one fiscal quarter to the next - they had full and unequivocal support, and more than enough of an investment to make it happen.

Poser on the other hand was dead, then came back to life, then nearly died with a really crappy upgrade from P4/PP, but then got bought and was beat to crap as it passed from company to company throughout the dot-bust era... I'm kind of surprised that it's still alive

Yeah, and there might also be a lot of other things that went on behind the scenes that we didn't know about. I'm sure they did their best in the way they could, I felt that P11 was actually getting somewhere. I do feel bad for being so harsh sometimes, but I cannot lie about how I sometimes feel, and I'm not the only one that feel this way. I hope that they did understand that I only ever wanted Poser to keep going and get better, because it really still is a very fun app to use. SM do need to get credit for much of what Poser has become, its just a shame it didn't work out..

I am going to do my best to temper myself with regards to Rendo, because this must be super exciting and scary for them. I've experienced the full enthusiasm of the Poser community and it can be very overwhelming, and that was just a figure. Maybe it might take them a few years, so be it. I am very curious.

"The fool is not the one that does something foolish, but the one that does nothing at all."

Richard60 ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2019 at 7:28 PM

While I have no doubt the some of the old team used Poser they did not use it very far off of center values. As an example open Poser 10 and put two cubes in the scene. Actually could be anything but a cube is simple. Now there are at least THREE different ways to move the cube. Grab it in the Posing window and move, open the parameter palette and dial a value or open the graph editor and adjust the graph line. All 3 will make a key frame and move the cube. This is the basic single layer not much off of what Poser starts as. Now the fun part, add an additional layer to the mix and change it to ADD mode. With two layers (Base and layer 1) you can move the cube in the base layer with any of the 3 options above. however going to the new layer Layer-1 you can only move it with the Pose window and dials. The graph gets locked up. If you add another layer Layer-2 then the Layer-1 dials no longer work and neither does the graph. The basic problem best as I can work it out at least for the dials is that you move the dial and it tries to add in the value of the dial (which should be Zero to start), however since a couple of other layers have values they are all added together and it skyrockets. And it is easy to get lots of layers as every time you apply the walk designer t askes if you wish to put it on another layer and of course that really is a good idea so it makes it easy to delete and retry if it turns out wrong. But as soon as you have the extra layers trying to make adjustments on anything other then Base or Top most layer becomes difficult at best. Work around is to move the layer to the top or select replace mode and Current Layer Only, however that results in figures moving to different locations if you use a layer as a setting point (which I do). Or it makes the other figures stay frozen as their layer is not included in the playback.

As I said earlier Poser 9 had a couple of problems 10 got worse and 11 was even further messed up. And I did file reports on the issues I had and a couple of the problems were fixed like the Black and Red lines being reversed. But beside that the main point I am trying to make is that the code in Poser is so convoluted that there at least THREE paths to change the value of a channel and they each use different code paths so that you may fix one path but break the other two. So a lot of the further enhancements requested will probably conflict with other code currently in Poser and rewriting that code may break someone's favorite thing and cause a mass up roar of Poser Users.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

erogenesis ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2019 at 7:34 AM · edited Mon, 24 June 2019 at 7:36 AM

I think we also posted about this subject on the SM forums, about the copy-paste bug and some other issues. And yes I do recognize some of the things you mention there. Its a damn shame because its such a potentially powerful feature.

Regarding convoluted code, its my experience that no matter how byzantine the code, there's always a way to fix it, even if it just takes a lot of time. The only thing that is needed is good management and a solid game plan... hint hint. I need to be careful because I don't want to sound like an arrogant know-it-all, but I just see so many possibilities, and whenever I choose to do something, I'll manage somehow, even if it costs me dearly. Where there's a will, there's a way. And I'm just one guy. I think Rendo is very much in the right zone to put Poser back on track. They have the motivation and the people. Let's just hope its not too late.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2019 at 3:31 PM

Well, no matter how it tuns out, it's kind of nice that Poser ain't dead.

Watching it slowly sink (and even this forum slowly drying up) was kind of sad to see. Hopefully Rendo can put things right, and maybe get up a bit of marketing to get a bit of excitement out there again.

Why, you ask? Because competition is always a good thing, and a sign of a healthy segment of the CG industry (us lowly Consumer/Prosumers who just want to make crappy nude chicks in temples waving big swords around, n' stuff. I'm kind of serious about this one... I remember back in 2012, I got my chiropractor to mess with DAZ Studio, with Mike with the Muscle-Map textures, all so that he could give a presentation at some convention he went to. Seeing his eyes light up when the potentials hit him was freakin' awesome, to say the least. I want stuff like that to keep happening...)

chimera46 ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2019 at 5:59 PM

I am hopeful that with this development new life can be breathed into Poser. As Ero said it's a program with a lot of potential, and I would like to see it flourish.

To that end, I would encourage those with the skillsets to make something of this to bury the hatchet, and make poser the best it can be.

The strong do as they can while the weak do as they must.

erogenesis ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2019 at 2:23 PM · edited Thu, 04 July 2019 at 2:26 PM

fyi I've just started uploading some free evolution content in the freebie section, however I can only upload 3 per day. There's a fourth but it might get deleted. In total there are 9 (nine) zip files. Tomorrow I'll continue. If you cannot wait, you can go to shareCG, or the site I usually sell at, its all there!

shareCG link: copypaste link into browser address bar (mod pls remove if I cannot do this)

https://sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=erogenesis

Here are the current freebies at Rendo. More uploads tomorrow. I'll post more information later today!

Bonanza_promo1.jpg

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2019 at 3:12 PM

Penguinisto posted at 4:11PM Thu, 04 July 2019 - #4354379

So, I say again, I think Rendo might have a standing chance. I hope they succeed, they have my support.

Ditto.

5 years? Really? You sure about that?

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2019 at 9:25 PM · edited Thu, 04 July 2019 at 9:38 PM

EClark1894 posted at 7:20PM Thu, 04 July 2019 - #4356035

5 years? Really? You sure about that?

Could've been 4. it started during all the uncertainty that Curious Labs was emanating, and the demands from CL that DAZ pay licensing fees to have Vicky work with certain new features in the then-upcoming Poser 5. DAZ wasn't having any of that noise, and when Poser 5 started flopping hard (before Curious Labs itself flopped and EGISys showed up), development went from a POC to full-bore commitment.

Addendum: It was around the time Poser 5 came out, because I'd first seen the (semi-working) POC when I first showed up at Draper - around the time I first got and installed Poser 5 (and it takes awhile to write a decent engine, so DS had to have been in development for at least a year to 18 months before I saw it). Anton Keisel was also there at the time, if I recall correctly (...or did I meet him the 2nd-3rd time I went down there? Can't recall offhand.)

redwulf ( ) posted Sun, 01 December 2019 at 4:27 AM

I was wondering, I've been trying to use Apollo Max for the first time in years, but for some reason the right shoulder pec and arm seem to be screwed up and rolls up by his neck. This is happening with every single shirt coverall or upper body Item I have tried. I tried to download him again fur all my links seem to be dead. Any suggestions?

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 01 December 2019 at 6:31 AM · edited Sun, 01 December 2019 at 6:32 AM
Forum Coordinator

Odd choice for a thread for this question about AP. Have you tried to change the conformation options like follow origins etc?

If all else fails try to copy the joint setup.

movida ( ) posted Sun, 01 December 2019 at 7:05 AM

JVRenderer posted at 7:02AM Sun, 01 December 2019 - #4354355

Waves to Ero. Welcome back mate! Don't listen to these egotistic trolls with their infighting. You do what you envision to do and we'll support you!

Agreed wholeheartedly. I read the thread and it reminds me of Kevin Costner trying to get backing to make "Dances With Wolves"

adzan ( ) posted Sun, 01 December 2019 at 7:19 PM

FVerbaas posted at 7:10PM Sun, 01 December 2019 - #4371882

Odd choice for a thread for this question about AP. Have you tried to change the conformation options like follow origins etc?

If all else fails try to copy the joint setup.

From what I can remember from Antons website and his instructions - the clothing made by Anton for Apollo was't designed to be conformed to Apollo. Instead you load and pose Apollo then load the clothing and apply the same pose as Apollo to the clothing. But it's been many years so I could be mistaken

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 03 December 2019 at 10:20 AM

FVerbaas posted at 8:19AM Tue, 03 December 2019 - #4371882

Odd choice for a thread for this question about AP.

I think it showed up in a keyword search since I'd mentioned Anton (albeit in a different context.)

But yeah - what adzan said, though I'm not sure if Anton fixed that in later revisions or not. Been way too long.

Anim8dtoon ( ) posted Fri, 06 December 2019 at 10:43 PM
Forum Moderator

Welcome back, Ero! While you're here, would it be too much to ask you to maybe create an injection morph to fit V4 hair to PE? I have so many V4 hair figures and props and it's a royal PITA to manually fit them to different figures like Dawn, Pauline, Miki 4, and others. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate having something like that made for PE as a time-saving feature. TIA! And keep up the great work. PE is one of my favorite figures. In my opinion, she's probably the MOST realistic of all the Poser figures I have in my runtime, especially when it comes to facial expressions and so on. She ROCKS, thanks to your hard work!

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sat, 07 December 2019 at 4:04 AM
Forum Coordinator

There is a content development kit for PE available on the site with a similar name as this one, where they also sell the 'X' version. Rated USD5.- it is a beta version and it comes with development versions and a set of instructions how to refit V4 stuff to PE, and also a morph for V4 to PE shape. You inject the morph into V4, zero V4, apply the hair to V4, and copy the morph from V4 into the hair.

Also there is the Prefitter-cr2 available in the store here, and a PE injection morph (sold separately).

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sat, 07 December 2019 at 4:33 PM
Forum Coordinator

FVerbaas posted at 11:32PM Sat, 07 December 2019 - #4371882

Have you tried to change the conformation options like follow origins etc?

Just checked. That is the trick. Make sure the options are checked, in particular'follow end points!! They are off by default.

Aantekening 2019-12-07 232628.jpg

if you leave 'follow end points' unchecked, this is what you get:

Aantekening 2019-12-07 232951.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.