Wed, Oct 9, 12:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: Why..........why...........why

soccer coach ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 1:27 PM · edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 12:28 PM

Why is software that I Purchased, and was "WORKING" fine, now asking for serial #, and then will not accept the serial# that I own. Honestly, what the hell is the matter with you over at Renderosity? I guess my main question is who do I sue to get my money back?

jennblake ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 2:04 PM

That is happening because SmithMicro no longer hosts the license management for Poser Software. Bondware purchased Poser and you need to download and install the update here that puts your software on the Bondware License Server.

https://www.posersoftware.com/downloads

Jenn

soccer coach ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 2:23 PM

Look, yeh I get it, but I do this as a hobby. If someone from Renderosity wants to stop by the house and spend all the time it is going to take to get up and running again, they are invited over. I think its funny that I can still fire up Poser 3 on an old box and it runs fine.....The program was running fine before....get it? I Paid for the program. What right does anyone have to suspend or stop me from using it? Maybe Ford sells out To GM. Now your car wont run until you contact gm for their approval and a software update, even though You own the car? I paid for the license already, the program was running, get it?

LeeMoon ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 2:36 PM

soccer coach, are you using Poser Pro 11.2 or another older version? I ask because there seems to be an issue today with Poser Pro 11.2 running. I suspect Bondware will get it all sorted out if they haven't already. If you have an older version of Poser that's stopped working, I believe you have a free upgrade path to get it going again. This upgrade prevents Poser from shutting down when the previous company that owned Poser (Smith Micro) shuts down their servers for good. I do hope you get up and running soon, or take advantage of the free upgrade (with all the new and awesome content.)

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 4:18 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2019 at 4:27 PM

soccer coach posted at 4:56PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363602

Look, yeh I get it, but I do this as a hobby. If someone from Renderosity wants to stop by the house and spend all the time it is going to take to get up and running again, they are invited over. I think its funny that I can still fire up Poser 3 on an old box and it runs fine.....The program was running fine before....get it? I Paid for the program. What right does anyone have to suspend or stop me from using it? Maybe Ford sells out To GM. Now your car wont run until you contact gm for their approval and a software update, even though You own the car? I paid for the license already, the program was running, get it?

If you want to blame someone, blame SM for adding in the license check not Bondware. They're doing what they can with a stupid decision that they had no control over. Though I'm not sure if they did, but I hope that the phoning home was removed because I've always hated it.

Though it's odd that you compare owning a physical property like a car to buying software since what you're really paying for with software is just a license to use said application. You also agreed to the ToS before installing the initial program, Sm/Bondware can revoke a license if it's in those terms but that's usually if someone broke those ToS.

Just download the new version, use your current PP11 serial and it should work. If it doesn't, contact tech support or post about it in this thread that the new version isn't accepting your SN. If your SN verifies than the installer makes it quick and painless, and when it asks, just tell it to use the existing preferences and most people have had 0 problems getting right back to work in Poser.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 4:52 PM

I might be talking in vain here, but some valuable lessons from my good grandma: if you come attacking, people will usually not be willing to try to help you. Just my two cents.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 4:55 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 3:54PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363657

I might be talking in vain here, but some valuable lessons from my good grandma: if you come attacking, people will usually not be willing to try to help you. Just my two cents.

how do I upvote this? Nailed it.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

soccer coach ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 5:40 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 5:35PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363657

I'm the one that was attacked. My computer, my place of residence, my license.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 5:42 PM

Quite the opposite - computer software bugs a lot, fails a lot, that happens to pretty much all of them, and you came threatening to sue.

(And how exactly was your PLACE OF RESIDENCE attacked?)

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 5:42 PM

hyperbole

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 5:55 PM

ghostship2 posted at 6:54PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363658

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 3:54PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363657

how do I upvote this? Nailed it.

I know, I also wish this forum had "Like" buttons!

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

gate ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 6:08 PM

My personal meaning is that Sm should of had removed the Internet activation on Poser 11.1 so the costumers could of decided them selves if they wish to jump over to the bond-ware Licence. they done it already on Older Poser versions that they removed the Internet activation.

For my meaning it would of saved allot of trouble and it would of caused allot less complaints, giving reondo more time and space to Improve Poser without Pressure and Unhappy Customers.

at the end it would of been on the decision of Renderosity if they wish having the Internet activation for Poser 11.2, naturally still free for the ones who wish upgrading.

I believe that this way People would of jumped to the Rendo Licence 11.2 with more confidence for the situation.This naturally would aso be more helpfull for the support and cause less negative comments that lead the whole project into a wrong direction.

Sure allot of reactions could be handled a little more diplomatic but I could also understand some reactions as People do not really feel comfortable with all these Controlled systems now days " Big Brother is Watching you "

I think It would even be Possible to still make such an agreement with Sm and add a last update into the Smith Micro Download Manager that removes this Internet activation as Option for the ones who bought Poser at SM

It leaves the question if it was Planed that Renderosity bought Poser and the actual Customers from Sm this naturally would prevent such an Action. but still I believe it would be the best solution to have a good future and allot happy customers.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 6:16 PM

And this having been done by SM, what is the point to come throwing rocks at Bondware/Renderosity?

- - - - - - 

gate ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 6:24 PM

I also noticed that there was another update on the Poser Installer since the 19th or at least a change

exe size 19th 1'266'307'944 Bytes exe size 23rd 1'265'148'152 Bytes

does it mean that all users need to uninstall Poser again and reinstall the latest version ??

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 6:35 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 6:21PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363685

And this having been done by SM, what is the point to come throwing rocks at Bondware/Renderosity?

At what point does 'Rosity own the decision to retain the licensing feature that everyone is complaining about? Smith Micro started it, but it is being continued. At some point shifting credit or blame back to the former owner is silly and a sort of evasive, if not wholly disingenuous. Unless Smith Micro had the programming team weave the licensing feature into the code so it can't be removed without breaking various unrelated features, making the removal cost-prohibitive, presumably the phone-home licensing is still in there because the new owners want it there. In 2015 or 2016, there was concern that Smith Micro might dump Poser and no one would pick it up. Assurances were made that, should that happen, plans were in place to permanently activate Poser licenses, so users could keep using the orphaned software. Bad code can be fixed or removed, undesirable features deactivated.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

gate ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 6:38 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2019 at 6:40 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 1:28AM Tue, 24 September 2019 - #4363685

And this having been done by SM, what is the point to come throwing rocks at Bondware/Renderosity

If I understand you right ... sure actually the complaints , ones just like this one should be directed to SM and not rendo a customer would have the right to ask SM to keep hes activated Product up to 11.1 as it is a Lifetime licence provided from SM and not having to jump on rendo for it . It is a nice move from rendo to provide an upgrade for free, there is no discussion, also be willing to continue supporting Poser.

Assumming that SM would of removed the activation up to 11.1 Rendo could of even of charged for the Upgrade with a little fee :) not the whole as there was no major update but a symbolic one for sure.

As for me I Love Poser so I'll always will support it as long it will work I still runn it on 11.1 as I have the option to do so but as soon as I feel comfortable I sure will Update.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 6:59 PM

Cage posted at 7:49PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363694

At what point does 'Rosity own the decision to retain the licensing feature that everyone is complaining about?

I don't even know how much programming (and time) is required to remove such a thing, I don't know if they plan to remove it (and being from Brazil, a country where software piracy is so widespread, my vote would be for them to remove it too, as the program cracks remove that anyway and it only bothers paying costumers), but what I DO know is that most of these complaints are coming from people who couldn't update or had problems during updating - so what is causing problems is the fact that the OLD version cannot connect to SM, and unless the person updates, there's nothing Bondware could have done to prevent this.

From what I understand as well, it's been only a few days and a change like this is EXPECTED to come with problems for some users (and yes, I know it seems like a lot looking at the forums right now - but I'll remind you that most people don't report that they had a succesful update with no problems, and how many users does Poser have again? So I imagine a good majority were successful), but so many people come throwing stones, threatening to sue, complaining that they have to update at all (which Bondware has no choice but to make people do that, there's no way for them to retroactively change version 11.1)

So if SM had plans to permanently activate Poser licenses, why didn't they right before this? If they could do that. But then it was tossed at Bondware to deal with. (And it would have to be a temporary solution to give people time to update calmly - if I remember correctly, if you perma activate and have to change hardware in your computer, your license is used up.)

My bottom line is: ffs why do people feel the need to try to humiliate the staff and threaten to sue? There is no - none - zero - software that never bugs or never has problems with updates.

- - - - - - 

gate ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:02 PM

Cage posted at 1:44AM Tue, 24 September 2019 - #4363694

At what point does 'Rosity own the decision to retain the licensing feature that everyone is complaining about? Smith Micro started it, but it is being continued. At some point shifting credit or blame back to the former owner is silly and a sort of evasive, if not wholly disingenuous. Unless Smith Micro had the programming team weave the licensing feature into the code so it can't be removed without breaking various unrelated features, making the removal cost-prohibitive, presumably the phone-home licensing is still in there because the new owners want it there. In 2015 or 2016, there was concern that Smith Micro might dump Poser and no one would pick it up. Assurances were made that, should that happen, plans were in place to permanently activate Poser licenses, so users could keep using the orphaned software. Bad code can be fixed or removed, undesirable features deactivated.

Well the Pone Home feature is obviously kept and could of been removed without further issues as Rendo had to change the whole code for there own new activation host. so either keep it or remove it is the same thing for a Programmer . I believe that it was to be able to have all costumers and the Programm. Reading the letters from Rendo " If you do not update then it will not work any longer " this tells it all " a Fear Tactic " and the goodies to feed the cheeps that runn into the stable LOL

this whole thing could also be explained with a statistical plan " How many still use Poser " still there could of been a way more comfortable solution like mentioned. Poser users are very loyal they are artists, artists are very sensitive and most just hate control so we have conflict between Artists and Industrial this always results into a disaster

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:06 PM

gate posted at 8:04PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363702

Reading the letters from Rendo " If you do not update then it will not work any longer " this tells it all " a Fear Tactic " and the goodies to feed the cheeps that runn into the stable LOL

How would you expect them to make Poser work without an update if the previous one needed to phone home to SM? Just curious here. (And this coming from a person who agrees that the entire phoning home system should be removed, but the previous version had it anyway.)

SM's Poser licensing server goes off, Poser 11.1 goes off. This is not fear tactic, it's just plain facts.

- - - - - - 

gate ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:11 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 2:06AM Tue, 24 September 2019 - #4363701

Cage posted at 7:49PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363694

At what point does 'Rosity own the decision to retain the licensing feature that everyone is complaining about?

I don't even know how much programming (and time) is required to remove such a thing, I don't know if they plan to remove it (and being from Brazil, a country where software piracy is so widespread, my vote would be for them to remove it too, as the program cracks remove that anyway and it only bothers paying costumers), but what I DO know is that most of these complaints are coming from people who couldn't update or had problems during updating - so what is causing problems is the fact that the OLD version cannot connect to SM, and unless the person updates, there's nothing Bondware could have done to prevent this.

From what I understand as well, it's been only a few days and a change like this is EXPECTED to come with problems for some users (and yes, I know it seems like a lot looking at the forums right now - but I'll remind you that most people don't report that they had a succesful update with no problems, and how many users does Poser have again? So I imagine a good majority were successful), but so many people come throwing stones, threatening to sue, complaining that they have to update at all (which Bondware has no choice but to make people do that, there's no way for them to retroactively change version 11.1)

So if SM had plans to permanently activate Poser licenses, why didn't they right before this? If they could do that. But then it was tossed at Bondware to deal with. (And it would have to be a temporary solution to give people time to update calmly - if I remember correctly, if you perma activate and have to change hardware in your computer, your license is used up.)

My bottom line is: ffs why do people feel the need to try to humiliate the staff and threaten to sue? There is no - none - zero - software that never bugs or never has problems with updates.

A pretty normal Panic reaction , Imagine it would of happen to you .... a Decade of invested time in Art.... A Passion.... Just like your coffee every morning.... and one morning Puff just a blank window !!! Shoock This reminds me on my last Hd crashes all gone . What did I have will I ever get it back the way I had it before ? For some Poser is a little treasure I beleive even for you so there might be some small understanding for the few that encounter Issues even if they shout out loud

gate ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:17 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:19 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 2:13AM Tue, 24 September 2019 - #4363703

gate posted at 8:04PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363702

Reading the letters from Rendo " If you do not update then it will not work any longer " this tells it all " a Fear Tactic " and the goodies to feed the cheeps that runn into the stable LOL

How would you expect them to make Poser work without an update if the previous one needed to phone home to SM? Just curious here. (And this coming from a person who agrees that the entire phoning home system should be removed, but the previous version had it anyway.)

SM's Poser licensing server goes off, Poser 11.1 goes off. This is not fear tactic, it's just plain facts.

It actually was no Update It was a full new Install " Remove the Old add the new " so either way would of worked just fine. Sure I agree It is a fact and People just have to live with it , it is the way it goes in life :) Take it or Leave It

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:19 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:26 PM

gate posted at 8:14PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363705

A pretty normal Panic reaction , Imagine it would of happen to you .... a Decade of invested time in Art.... A Passion.... Just like your coffee every morning.... and one morning Puff just a blank window !!! Shoock This reminds me on my last Hd crashes all gone . What did I have will I ever get it back the way I had it before ? For some Poser is a little treasure I beleive even for you so there might be some small understanding for the few that encounter Issues even if they shout out loud

Programs stopping to work and needing troubleshooting has happened to me so many times I can't count. And there was that one time years ago, when a Poser helper app made by users asked me to input my Runtime folders in it, and when I misclicked a folder and it thought it was a Runtime, I hit the "delete" inside the program thinking it would just remove the folder from the list, imagine my surprise coming to it hours later to find the entire folder actually deleted from my HDD. And it was my product creation folder. With I think six? WIP products of mine in there, plus all the files to my previous products, freebies and the merchant resources I had organized over a few years.

Per your idea of normal panic reaction, I'd go to the person who made that little app, ask them what the hell is the matter with them and threaten to sue. Instead, I searched for a data recovery app online, sat back, got something to eat, sighed and decided to take a small break from Poser. Even figured it might have been a sign for me to give it some time, as I was in the middle of moving to another city etc.

Point is, even in panic, before going out abusing people, we should step back a little, take a breather and remember that the staff of companies are people and not robots ;)

- - - - - - 

Rhia474 ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:26 PM
Online Now!

^^^ about a thousand times, Ohki. Let's all take a deep breath, stop the hijack our amygdala loves to do to our brain, realize that this is just a program on a computer and will not end the world (well, unless Skynet likes Poser, then we're effed). Think about the image you project of yourself when you post online. Anonimity of the Internet is great, but things we post are also permanent.

gate ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:59 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 2:27AM Tue, 24 September 2019 - #4363710

gate posted at 8:14PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363705

Programs stopping to work and needing troubleshooting has happened to me so many times I can't count. And there was that one time years ago, when a Poser helper app made by users asked me to input my Runtime folders in it, and when I misclicked a folder and it thought it was a Runtime, I hit the "delete" inside the program thinking it would just remove the folder from the list, imagine my surprise coming to it hours later to find the entire folder actually deleted from my HDD. And it was my product creation folder. With I think six? WIP products of mine in there, plus all the files to my previous products, freebies and the merchant resources I had organized over a few years.

Per your idea of normal panic reaction, I'd go to the person who made that little app, ask them what the hell is the matter with them and threaten to sue. Instead, I searched for a data recovery app online, sat back, got something to eat, sighed and decided to take a small break from Poser. Even figured it might have been a sign for me to give it some time, as I was in the middle of moving to another city etc.

Point is, even in panic, before going out abusing people, we should step back a little, take a breather and remember that the staff of companies are people and not robots ;)

Well there we still can give it some understanding , lets look at a situation where social media has a shutdown for just a few hours " Panic " all over the world " Hit that reset button every 30sec ... it might work again and then comes the whole aggression. Sure on the other side are just Humans "The Sharks they control you" !! the small ones a hand full feel threatened due this intervention and fear for there existence.

This is what might be happening here at the moment I mean for those who just get the message " Sorry Poser ain't working for you at the moment " but when the day will come that all works fine again People will calm down and forget about this little glitch.

On my side I have no Issues at all with either side I runn my Poser 11.1 as I cant afford to have a glitch watching the show and eats Popcorn. sure it bug me should I install or not but I will be waiting for a good reason to do so without letting anyone give pressure on me.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 8:25 PM

If your 11 is an upgrade from a previous version, you'll need to put in the older serial as well, I believe. That could be why your serial isnt working.

Just a thought.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

Richard60 ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 11:56 PM

Well you could try what I did and just rename your Poser Program folder inside of C:/Programs files/Smith Micro/Poser11 to something else and change the desktop icon to point to the new location of your Poser 11.1 version. Install the new version 11.2 and on my machine it made a new Poser11 folder and since it uses the same serial number it appears that both run, just one at a time and share the same preferences. So what happens in one happens to the other. Not sure how long this will work, but if you run Bondware 11.2 first it should do the phone home check update the keys and then 11.1 won't need to do a check since it has a recently updated key info. Just a thought and as I said not sure how long this will work.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 12:00 AM
Online Now!

See this thread for removal of registration notice etc

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2938018

gate ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 6:54 AM

An option might also be to call up on SM asking them to send a Patch or a update that removes the Internet activation on the 11.1 versions for those who encounter very hard issues activating the new versions. I think if one explains the situation to them they might be willing to do so. So Poser 11.1 could be used as Option or older release just like all previous Poser versions

On my side I still have em all running since Poser 4 and they all work like a charm

It is actually as far as I can see just an small update on the Poser.exe Nalpeiron Interface productactivator_nsl.cpp NSLTestConnection ProductActivator_NSL:CheckLicense

this option would not affect the 11.2 update as this version overwrites the Poser.exe again and Rendo could keep the call home Option for their future releases.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 7:21 AM

soccer coach posted at 1:17PM Tue, 24 September 2019 - #4363671

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 5:35PM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363657

I'm the one that was attacked. My computer, my place of residence, my license.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

quietrob ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 2:16 PM

soccer coach posted at 12:13PM Tue, 24 September 2019 - #4363602

No. Most of us didn't. It was a terrible analogy.

So did you update?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 2:29 PM

Maybe next time you buy software you should read the EULA?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 2:53 PM

EClark1894 posted at 8:53PM Tue, 24 September 2019 - #4363903

Maybe next time you buy software you should read the EULA?

😂

My Store

My Gallery

quietrob ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 6:29 PM

The Op has posted 4 times in 20 years. Two of them today. I don't think we'll see him until 2039. NEXT!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 6:39 PM

4 times in 20 years?

A bit like me, then. 😃

My Store

My Gallery

quietrob ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 7:02 PM

SamTherapy posted at 5:00PM Tue, 24 September 2019 - #4363965

4 times in 20 years?

A bit like me, then. 😃

Sam! Your forum posts! There is a Groundhog Day (Bill Murray) reference here but I won't use it as I think those across the pond might not get the reference!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 7:11 PM

I have seen Groundhog day and I am aware of Bill Murray but I neither liked it nor him.

Sorry and all that.

My Store

My Gallery

quietrob ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 8:51 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2019 at 8:51 PM

Certainly nothing to be sorry about. I was just thinking you might be a god is all. Like Bill Murray. In Groundhog Day. Just so you know, I love Mr. Bean. (The only equivalent I can think of) Just so you know, that many posts, the people you've helped and the lives you touched? I have a feeling you've acquired a lot of Karma points. I hope I can do as well. MrBean.jpg

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2019 at 1:38 AM

quietrob posted at 7:32AM Wed, 25 September 2019 - #4363988

Certainly nothing to be sorry about. I was just thinking you might be a god is all. Like Bill Murray. In Groundhog Day. Just so you know, I love Mr. Bean. (The only equivalent I can think of) Just so you know, that many posts, the people you've helped and the lives you touched? I have a feeling you've acquired a lot of Karma points. I hope I can do as well. MrBean.jpg

That's very kind of you. The first post I ever read here was one of Geep's tutorials and it showed me how this community is built on sharing information. I've tried to be a part of that and hopefully give back here and there, in return for the wealth of knowledge and the numerous free items people have created. And, if I've made people laugh a bit on the way, that's a big plus.

My Store

My Gallery

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2019 at 12:37 PM

First, everybody is correct, the problem is with Smith Micro that added in calling the mothership every time you fired up the software. Rendo just did what it had to to make the software work with SM closing down their authentication server. If you want a new feature in the next major version of Poser to be NOT calling the mothership every time you crank it up now would be a good time to ask for it.

EULA's in general are a bigger question. That you need to call your congress critter about and ask to have laws limiting those things. It isn't just software, many large companies are enforcing binding arbitration the same way. If this annoys you, and it should, you need to let them know it's a priority if they want to continue to get elected.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2019 at 4:10 PM

FlagonsWorkshop posted at 10:09PM Wed, 25 September 2019 - #4364069

First, everybody is correct, the problem is with Smith Micro that added in calling the mothership every time you fired up the software. Rendo just did what it had to to make the software work with SM closing down their authentication server. If you want a new feature in the next major version of Poser to be NOT calling the mothership every time you crank it up now would be a good time to ask for it.

EULA's in general are a bigger question. That you need to call your congress critter about and ask to have laws limiting those things. It isn't just software, many large companies are enforcing binding arbitration the same way. If this annoys you, and it should, you need to let them know it's a priority if they want to continue to get elected.

Wouldn't work for me, being in the UK.

My Store

My Gallery

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2019 at 4:30 PM

It would work the same way there as here. If a company wanted to do business they would have to comply. That's what is forcing Facebook and Google on the Privacy issue. It certainly isn't the US Government doing that.

DreaminGirl ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 3:10 AM

EULAs aren't considered legally binding in the EU anyways.

gate ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 5:09 AM

Many rules, control, Eulas, Call Home, might have a bad aftertaste I tested it in many ways throughout the years and of what I know it always caused the same results. giving a little more freedom a little more trust , not trying control it all might be the better Option, rather then to have the thought to get more Power that leads to a dictator way and as we all know it does not work in long terms.

sure you might get some Publicity " Call it negative publicity " it is more effective then the positive one but if it is really bringing more .. I doubt it ...

so hat happens now just like most that use this system .... you can already find call ups on getting a medicine for Poser 12.2 sure Rendo might of thought we remove the optional activation to prevent an act of violence but personally I think it even calls up more Wolfs on it " who will be the first who cures it or lets say .... how do I open the door of the stable and let the seeps out.

Some years ago a mod in here told me " If you know the solution not getting Pirated then will have a job for you " well there is not such perfect solution but in fact there would be one to reduce it , the trick is to make friends to get the real respect without force .

Look at the difference in comments one that uses a program without control and the one with , the more control the more People feel imprisoned ! Now just don't bring the excuse it was SM who did it as the new owner would have the full power to change things into a better future recognizing the mistakes the Previous ruler did.

My thoughts come out of my experience as compared to others the things I made barely gotten attacked stolen or abused and I don't even have a EULA I don't make rules I do not try to control anyone who wants to use things I made.

as I said it is a thought out of experience I do not want to say that your way is wrong as it is the way most go but sometimes there is a other way to be considered to get a better chance.

Lets also look at this sample: One gets Poser 99$ not really a big investment compared to the Investment made for Models to get most out of it ! this might be 10'000 +++ depending on the budget and needs. but now that customer depends on the Licence , actually all licences depend on it , as we now can see what happens if a activation host shuts down " your Activation might not work any longer " .. People get aware of the situation and it leaves a certain fear in there Blackhead! Is it really worth to invest 10'000$ for a Program worth 99$ that could be shut down and make me loose 10'000$ worth of other licences ?! just because a activation host might shut down where I purchased a licence for lifetime. In case of such a scenario the damage for an Artist would be outrageous and I am not sure if a Licence really can cover such a scenario thinking it could control all other licences that come from third Party's.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 6:08 AM

DreaminGirl posted at 7:07AM Thu, 26 September 2019 - #4364135

I looked that up. Seems a lot depends on the language used. Unfortunately you'll probably have to pay someone some legal fees to find out.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 7:07 AM

I lived to see someone compare a common software practice to a dictatorship. And then they say that us millenials are the snowflakes...

I'm bowing out from this convo, before I wound my forehead with so much facepalming.

- - - - - - 

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 7:15 AM

soccer coach posted at 8:12AM Thu, 26 September 2019 - #4363602

Look, yeh I get it, but I do this as a hobby. ...

I just downloaded and installed the update, and it worked just like a Smith Micro update. I told the installer to use my existing preferences and browsed to my current content path. No fuss and I didn't even have to reenter my serial number... 😺

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 8:20 AM · edited Thu, 26 September 2019 at 8:21 AM

I just started up Poser Pro 2014. Works like always. Can't say what Game Dev will or won't do.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 8:47 AM

SamTherapy posted at 9:47AM Thu, 26 September 2019 - #4363975

I have seen Groundhog day and I am aware of Bill Murray but I neither liked it nor him.

Sorry and all that.

The musical version was pretty good. Just sayin'.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 9:15 AM

EClark1894 posted at 10:10AM Thu, 26 September 2019 - #4364155

I just started up Poser Pro 2014. Works like always. Can't say what Game Dev will or won't do.

PP 2014 did not have the phone-home feature, whilst Game Dev did, even though it is the same code with a different serial number that turns on that "feature".

I'm told that a Game Dev serial number does work to activate 11.2; I haven't yet tried it, but it does work on the Poser Software download website to unlock the restricted content...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

DreaminGirl ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 9:47 AM

EClark1894 posted at 4:44PM Thu, 26 September 2019 - #4364142

I looked that up. Seems a lot depends on the language used. Unfortunately you'll probably have to pay someone some legal fees to find out.

Got nothing to do with the wording. A contract is only considered legally binding if it is signed by the person, and simply ticking off a checkbox is not considered a signature.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2019 at 10:03 AM

DreaminGirl posted at 11:00AM Thu, 26 September 2019 - #4364165

EClark1894 posted at 4:44PM Thu, 26 September 2019 - #4364142

Got nothing to do with the wording. A contract is only considered legally binding if it is signed by the person, and simply ticking off a checkbox is not considered a signature.

That's just it, though. EULAs aren't contracts, they're agreements between the parties involved. And the thing is, if they can't expect you to keep your agreement, then why do you expect them to keep theirs?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.