Tue, Oct 22, 12:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:57 pm)

Subject: New Poser Wishlist

kaleberg ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2020 at 6:36 PM

Apple has just announced a move to new hardware. Will Poser be moving to ARM? I gather it is pretty straight forward using XCode, but Renderosity has Mac and PC versions. There's also the issue of Apple deprecating OPENGL and friends and forcing a move to Metal. I know the viewport is just a small piece of Poser, but I'm probably buying a new machine in a year or two and hoping to stick with Poser. I've been a user since the very first version and am hoping to continue with version 12 and beyond.

kaleberg ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2020 at 6:37 PM

A minor issue. Apple redid the way Mac's traverse directories. The Scripts menu item is no longer sorted. This should be a simple fix.

NikKelly ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2020 at 11:24 PM

Yet another FBX import rant.

Autodesk's free Viewer, Noesis, Paint3D and Open3Dmodel Viewer all show it okay, but breaks in Poser. Author investigating...

import 10%.jpg

NikKelly ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2020 at 3:21 AM

Seems Poser is very fussy about the shape of the FBX 'hierarchy'. If not in the traditional form, imports range from total 'splat', via mutations per pic above, to a flock of free-flying parts. Other programs seem much less bothered. So, please, could the FBX import module be reviewed ??

NikKelly ( ) posted Wed, 29 July 2020 at 9:48 PM

Correlation or causation ?

Been digging around in some budget FBX imports to check 'relative' texture paths. Noticed their FBX versions differed.

FBX v6.1 files were mostly well-behaved, had a 'trad' hierarchy. But v7.3 ~v7.4 models had three types of hierarchy, ranging from 'trad' through 'simian puzzle' tree to 'phone pole'. Only the rare 'trad' files were well behaved.

So, is there any documentation any-where on which FBX version Poser currently expects ?? Given that may be now-legacy v6 with a 'trad' tree, may we have an updated FBX I/O in PP_12 ??

LostAlien ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2020 at 4:26 AM

PLEASE make collisions work properly... I have tried many times but cannot seem to get it to work. When a figure is leaning on a bar, or has an arm grabbed... The skin needs to indent or else the figure looks as if it is made of solid marble... With the object embedded in it. This one feature would make a massive difference to the quality of rendering possible - I mean, it might just be me, but I cannot for the life of me make it work as expected - See https://www.daz3d.com/ghost-dynamics for an interesting looking approach. I really think Poser would take a huge step forward if this was better - It would make for a much better 3D stage...

LostAlien ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2020 at 4:43 AM

Image Re Collision DetectionCollision-Detection.jpg

LostAlien ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2020 at 4:43 AM

I would expect a facility where the figure is indented by the cube... As in real life.

NikKelly ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2020 at 10:46 PM ยท edited Mon, 10 August 2020 at 10:46 PM

IIRC, has been mentioned several times, but tools to expand / collapse hierarchy display really, really would be useful.

Importing an FBX model this evening, it showed up as 24 independent trees. As default 100% scaling delivered model as a fly-speck, I had to iterate to eventual ~100k% scaling. Each time, I had to collapse the hierarchy, tree by tree, then select the copse and delete it. All this took 100++ very precise clicks given the minute hierarchy 'v' & '>' arrows. And I'll have to collapse the hierarchy yet again now I've found an acceptable scale, this time to parent the parts to a place-holder...

And, after all that, it cannot be posed without falling apart...

TarAntanamir ( ) posted Fri, 14 August 2020 at 3:12 AM

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but i really hope, they won't go through with La Femme and L'Homme.The latest characters aren't a real improvent. I know they putt in a lot of effort and i really don't want to offend the creators, but those are not my favorites. I will stick with Victoria 4.2 and hope for a revival of some sort.

CHK2033 ( ) posted Fri, 14 August 2020 at 11:49 AM ยท edited Fri, 14 August 2020 at 11:53 AM

LostAlien posted at 11:47AM Fri, 14 August 2020 - #4396480

I would expect a facility where the figure is indented by the cube... As in real life. .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Morphing tool resized then Push @ about 0.010 to 0.030 then Smooth

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,ย  intel Xeonย  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000ย 

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 17 August 2020 at 4:13 PM

TarAntanamir posted at 5:10PM Mon, 17 August 2020 - #4396883

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but i really hope, they won't go through with La Femme and L'Homme.The latest characters aren't a real improvent. I know they putt in a lot of effort and i really don't want to offend the creators, but those are not my favorites. I will stick with Victoria 4.2 and hope for a revival of some sort.

It's been quite some time, so you'd be asking a LOT of people to take a huge step backwards. Why don't you tell us what you don't like about the new figures before you do all that. Maybe there's something that can be changed or tweaked to your liking.

NikKelly ( ) posted Mon, 17 August 2020 at 7:38 PM

I feel your pain. V4.x and LaFemme are very, very different figures. Even I can see their rigging and such are generations apart... I've a mall of stuff for V4 and kin, both commercial and freebies. I've sorta figured how to use CrossDresser to port more. Um, perhaps... As yet, I've only a short clothes-rail for LaFemme, barely a weekend bag for L'Homme. But, the essential feature is surely Poser's strategic break with generations of increasingly photo-real Daz figures, for better or worse...

Now, if Poser really, really wanted to break from Daz' legacy, supporting import of PMX & XPS figures would open the floodgates... Full support for 'recent' FBX files rather than 'legacy' v6 would be a good start, IMHO, as Poser seems to choke on v7.x rigging.... ( I'm trying to learn Poser rigging as a work-around. Like trying to fork 'pouring sauce'... )

Letterworks ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2020 at 8:43 AM

'Maybe an unpopular opinion, but i really hope, they won't go through with La Femme and L'Homme.The latest characters aren't a real improvent. I know they putt in a lot of effort and i really don't want to offend the creators, but those are not my favorites. I will stick with Victoria 4.2 and hope for a revival of some sort.'

One major point as far as V4! The V4 and M4 figures are owned by DAZ not Bondware so it would be impossible to "revive" them IN Poser (or out of it for that matter). They are no MADE for weight mapping (altho some very good efforts have been made to convert them by individuals). And making a Poser figure that mimics their shape and rigging would cause a heck of legal problems. Poser figures HAVE to be NEW. I am not privy to what is planed for Poser 12. Personally I'm hoping for a newer, easier rigging system considering the time that seems to be being spent n it which wuld require replacing LaFemme and L'Homme or at least major modifications, so why not focus on just WHAT you don;t like about them so Bondware can take those suggestions into concideration

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2020 at 7:48 AM ยท edited Wed, 19 August 2020 at 7:49 AM

La Femme's features and potential is being sorely under utilized by users and content creators alike. I think the lens of time will show these figures in a different light. Quite literally the only advantage V4 has is 15 years of content and polishing, imagine where beleaguered LF and LH would be with such attention. Things like smooth translation, subdivision level morphs, a completely enclosed mesh, and the control props (which I'm fairly certain many Poser users just don't know how to use properly) aren't going to be obvious to those who just want to load and render. I personally very much like V4 and like most have a ridiculous amount of content for the figure, at this point I'd say V4, ironically, is a thorn in the side of Poser.

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2020 at 9:58 AM ยท edited Wed, 19 August 2020 at 10:00 AM

EldritchCellar posted at 10:55AM Wed, 19 August 2020 - #4397293

La Femme's features and potential is being sorely under utilized by users and content creators alike. I think the lens of time will show these figures in a different light. Quite literally the only advantage V4 has is 15 years of content and polishing, imagine where beleaguered LF and LH would be with such attention. Things like smooth translation, subdivision level morphs, a completely enclosed mesh, and the control props (which I'm fairly certain many Poser users just don't know how to use properly) aren't going to be obvious to those who just want to load and render. I personally very much like V4 and like most have a ridiculous amount of content for the figure, at this point I'd say V4, ironically, is a thorn in the side of Poser.

Why?? V4 works in Poser. She more likely be a thorn in DAZ's side rather than Poser's. Ironically, although I did buy V4 at DAZ, most of my content for her was purchased elsewhere.

Letterworks ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2020 at 1:56 PM

nope I have to agree with Eldrichcellar The biggest problem to developing NEW characters and content and frankly Poser's utilities themselves is V4. Every version of DS has had new figures built to use new technology some that in some ways make older versions obsolete ( not totally no, but some functions just don;t work) how ever since Poser 11 the program has had to be written around out dated technology or the users with "Tons' and "Tons" of V4 era content scream and hollar, and refuse to let go so the programmers just continue to cater to them. I REALLY hope Bondware will break this cycle and make the Poser engine the best it can be and if it breaks V4 use so be it.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2020 at 4:15 PM

Letterworks posted at 5:12PM Wed, 19 August 2020 - #4397324

nope I have to agree with Eldrichcellar The biggest problem to developing NEW characters and content and frankly Poser's utilities themselves is V4. Every version of DS has had new figures built to use new technology some that in some ways make older versions obsolete ( not totally no, but some functions just don;t work) how ever since Poser 11 the program has had to be written around out dated technology or the users with "Tons' and "Tons" of V4 era content scream and hollar, and refuse to let go so the programmers just continue to cater to them. I REALLY hope Bondware will break this cycle and make the Poser engine the best it can be and if it breaks V4 use so be it.

None of that mean Bondware still won't evelop that new technology. On the other hand, as you yourself has said, DS has had new figures built to use their new technology, but who are those users still using V4. And while they're using V4, they're not using the new figures with their new technology or buying new content. Winner: I still declare that to be Poser.

CHK2033 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2020 at 5:09 PM ยท edited Wed, 19 August 2020 at 5:12 PM

** but who are those users still using V4**

Mostly Poser users..

Still using that old chick made by Daz3d

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 19 August 2020 at 6:15 PM ยท edited Wed, 19 August 2020 at 6:15 PM

CHK2033 posted at 7:12PM Wed, 19 August 2020 - #4397328

** but who are those users still using V4**

Mostly Poser users..

My point exactly. Anyone who would have moved on has. And most likely, they're using DS now as well. So, anyone still using V4 is most likely still using V4... and Poser.

NikKelly ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2020 at 10:41 AM

Speaking of Non-DS characters: Has any-one tried the new MakeHuman version ? Still in late-Beta, but being able to import such pre-rigged FBX figures intact without a tedious diversion via Blender and its UI-from-Hell would give Poser a huge lift...

CHK2033 ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2020 at 2:05 PM ยท edited Thu, 20 August 2020 at 2:08 PM

The short answer is No ( on your FBX quest :p )

NikKelly ( ) posted Thu, 10 September 2020 at 11:14 AM

#CHK2033: "The short answer is No ( on your FBX quest :p )"

May we take a 'Rain Check' on that until 'MakeHuman' full release **and ** the announced P_12 update to FBX I/O evaluated ??

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 11:58 AM

And hopefully, will grok FBX version 7.5, which is currently thwarting many I/O plugins.

Classic free AutoDesk FBX toolbox claims either file corrupted or too few parameters. Several usually reliable FBX viewers now fail-safe or report indexing errors..

CHK2033 ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 12:50 PM

NikKelly posted at 12:44PM Sun, 13 September 2020 - #4399108

#CHK2033: "The short answer is No ( on your FBX quest :p )"

May we take a 'Rain Check' on that until 'MakeHuman' full release **and ** the announced P_12 update to FBX I/O evaluated ??

I guess you will have to wait and see then.

samsiahaija ( ) posted Sun, 20 September 2020 at 1:51 PM ยท edited Sun, 20 September 2020 at 1:51 PM

La Femme has little variation in the add-ons. She's mostly a kinky rebel girl. I'm mostly interested in period and historical themes. Vicky 4 is still way more versatile in that.respect.

Letterworks ( ) posted Sun, 20 September 2020 at 3:28 PM

LeFemme is limited by the content creator who make thingsa for her. Unfortunately most of them end in that direction because it is what sells best, since the sales for LaFemme are a fraction of the sales for even V4 it's pretty easy to see why they tend to go for the biggest sales. if you really want to see increased variation and volume for LaFemme or L'Homme I suggest you hit the market place wish list and make a loud enough voice vendors will see a market.

SuperCDR ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2020 at 10:49 PM ยท edited Wed, 23 September 2020 at 10:51 PM

As a humble animator I'd like to request for a simple feature:

Pre-rendered animation previews.

Exactly the same idea that the awesome Raytrace preview window but for animation. In the current state, if you press play in the animation control bar, poser does a horrible work in trying to show you the animation in full preview window size. It either skips a gazilion frames or it shows one frame every 2 seconds. I understand that this depends a lot on the power of the PC you're using, but there are a lot of programs (like after effects) that have solved this by pre-rendering into an image buffer, and showing you the animation as soon as the buffer is filled, with the correct frame rate. As an animator, having precise control over the frame rate is simply essential to evaluate the realism (or toon-ism) of what Im doing. Nowadays I make an mp4 with the preview render and use that to study the movements and improve them. The problem with this, is that involves a million unnecessary clicks, like making a file name for something that I will delete a second later and playing the file in another video player program. The thing is, I dont even need the full preview window size to get a feel of the animation movement. Just a tiny square window like the raytrace preview one, with a "number of frames" and a "framerate" control on it would do. Press play and it pre-renders (standard preview, no need for raytrace) that many frames of the current camera view into the buffer, and then plays them in loop. It would work on every system, no matter the hardware, and it'd be a huuuuge advantage for animators.

Well, just my two cents. What do you guys think about the idea?

Steffen1986 ( ) posted Tue, 29 September 2020 at 2:49 AM

I had a conversation with the support and he told me i should add my topic to the wish list. So hopefully this is the right place. Please do NOT remove face room in Poser 12. It would prevent me from updating.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 29 September 2020 at 9:14 AM ยท edited Tue, 29 September 2020 at 9:18 AM

Steffen1986 posted at 10:12AM Tue, 29 September 2020 - #4400578

I had a conversation with the support and he told me i should add my topic to the wish list. So hopefully this is the right place. Please do NOT remove face room in Poser 12. It would prevent me from updating.

You KNOW of course, that that argument makes NO sense. If you're not going to update to Poser 12, then removing the face room from Poser would be irrelevant to you. The whole point of removing features like the Face Room is that they are under used and undersupported. As far as I know, the Face Room hasn't received an upgrade since it was first put in.

Steffen1986 ( ) posted Tue, 29 September 2020 at 4:56 PM

EClark1894 posted at 4:37PM Tue, 29 September 2020 - #4400601

You KNOW of course, that that argument makes NO sense. If you're not going to update to Poser 12, then removing the face room from Poser would be irrelevant to you. The whole point of removing features like the Face Room is that they are under used and undersupported. As far as I know, the Face Room hasn't received an upgrade since it was first put in.

Maybe you got me wrong. I would update if face room would not be removed in future versions. If they remove it i am forced to stay on Poser 11.3 since all my work is based on James and Sydney (both work very well in face room). It would be totally fine for me if they move the face room in a sub menu or something. By the way - Does anyone from Poser read the wishes from here ? Is this the usual way for placing feature requests?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 29 September 2020 at 6:16 PM

Steffen1986 posted at 7:09PM Tue, 29 September 2020 - #4400638

EClark1894 posted at 4:37PM Tue, 29 September 2020 - #4400601

Maybe you got me wrong. I would update if face room would not be removed in future versions. If they remove it i am forced to stay on Poser 11.3 since all my work is based on James and Sydney (both work very well in face room). It would be totally fine for me if they move the face room in a sub menu or something. By the way - Does anyone from Poser read the wishes from here ? Is this the usual way for placing feature requests?

First, this thread has no "official" standing as far as alerting Renderosity or Bondware of your wishes regarding Poser.

Second, I would simply suggest keeping an older version of Poser around for when you want to do some work on James or Sydney. That way, you could still upgrade and also enjoy the Face Room.

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 04 October 2020 at 9:02 AM ยท edited Sun, 04 October 2020 at 9:04 AM

{Sigh...} Into October, 'MakeHuman' still not full-release, so PP_11 FBX compatibility unclear. No clue to P_12's take on FBX. In fact, no more news on P_12.

My hunt for an MTL-friendly CAD seems to have found a winner, but 'unexpected domestic expenses' forcing deferral...

Rendo has several more $$ 'fun' outfits for LaF/LeH, but wardrobe not reached 'synergic' zone. Needs MFD-equivalent to spawn a zillion DIYs ??

And, I hope P_12 has better trash collection, given non-reproducible weirdness after rendering complex sets. Such as RM/DE mega-poly OBJ game-rips, his latest DA freebie making ~25K texture calls to, thankfully, only ~90 material PNGs. Or JPGs, if spend five minutes batch-converting them with eg Irfan View, then editing MTL with Notepad. Upside, I could edit the ~9 MB OBJ's deep, deep F: mis-call to ~14 KB MTL with Wordpad, so everything then auto-loaded. Phew !!

A binary FBX cannot be inspected / tweaked freely. So, P_12 needs a way to point FBX I/O at misplaced textures folders...

unrealblue ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2020 at 4:49 AM

I'm really hoping for tool for content creators. It's really not a simple thing to make content for La Femme. The sheer number of JCMs is brutal. And a lot of the tools don't help much. Also, the fact that a bunch of stuff is not directly scriptable. I end up with a hodge-podge of scripts to help. Seriously, the shoulder and hip joints are just brutal. I've stopped making stuff just from frustration of those joints. Tri-ax is maddening. You get one axis done, then do another and realize that it's ef'd up the first one.

What would be sweet is to position the body a few times (key frames), morph the item at each keyframe, then have code that distributes the keyed vertex vectors into reasonable joint and defined set of JCMs on its own. For instance, thigh bend with tights (the hardest). Position the item, add the rig, bend to half max. Morph the cloth. bend to max. morph the cloth. Let code figure out the distribution of WMs across the joint and JCMs to fit those morph keys. If it needs tuning, add a couple of more keys= and rerun the code. A bunch of curve fits, no?

I find the rigging on la femme's face difficult for a similar reason. Poser (the UI) just doesn't help with it. It's easier to use Blender's latest sculpting, then some scripts to move stuff back into Poser, and some other scripts to move around all those face controls. Of course, Poser can't import HD morphs. Uhg.

Of course, good cloth dynamics would obviate the need. For me, the cloth having no elasticity (no rebound) kills.

I'm sure there's more ideas on what to do than there are days in a year.

I've often thought that some aspects of Poser's GUI over top of Blender. Imagine, it looks like Poser (mostly) and works like Poser (mostly), but it's Blender. Like a BforA. kind of thing. :D

rtamesis ( ) posted Mon, 05 October 2020 at 8:33 AM

DAZ made a big announcement recently about their bridge to Cinema 4D. I use Cinema 4D for my rendering and animation, and having a bridge from Poser to Cinema 4D and other apps like Maya would be a great thing.

NikKelly ( ) posted Tue, 06 October 2020 at 8:02 AM

Thank you, thoennes, I thought it was just me struggling with Poser rigging. Difference is I'm still at the 'Box Man' stage, and my wits can barely cope. Luckily, I'll be happy to adapt a few droids before daring to tackle anything more life-like.....

Doesn't help that eg Blender and MakeHuman seem to have very different ideas about rigging, and Poser's rigging tools would really, really benefit from VR...

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 11 October 2020 at 10:59 AM

About La Femme clothing: Looks like her XD module has shown up in Rendo' marketplace. Plus, yes, same again for figure morphs... Upside, I hope to 'passably' convert some of the 'Classic' V2~~V4 outfits from my sprawling archive...

I still haven't figured how to make 'dynamic' clothing work, my wits won't grok the work-flow. But, in theory, it just needs an OBJ and a sprinkle of pixie dust...

NikKelly ( ) posted Tue, 27 October 2020 at 2:18 PM

A bit late for 12.0, but another heartfelt plea for better tools & UI in the hierarchy window.

Okay, spawned by 11.3's wonky FBX import, but busy 'warehouse' prop lost its root and came in as 100~~150 sub-rigs. Takes a long, long time to wrangle such, even selecting by page after page, then doing multiple parentings or deletions...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.