Mon, Sep 9, 10:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 06 5:43 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Has your Poser stopped working? License issues? Can't start Poser?

structure ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 10:59 AM
Forum Coordinator

Once you enter your serial number, the trial will end and the program will be activated. You should not need to reinstall all your models, follow the advice in this PDF

Locked Out

Psych2 ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 2:28 PM ยท edited Fri, 07 August 2020 at 2:29 PM

structure posted at 2:14PM Fri, 07 August 2020 - #4396252

Once you enter your serial number, the trial will end and the program will be activated. You should not need to reinstall all your models, follow the advice in this PDF

Thanks for the help! And I did not know I could add an entire folder of characters at once though the 'Add to Library' tool; I add each model separately by selecting its Runtime, although then I can group them in my desired order -- but it takes a lot of Library listing space since the categories aren't contained within a folder. I suppose if you add a folder of models to the Library at once, they will show up in the Poser Library as a folder under the folder's name and in the order they appear in that folder? I'll try it out...

Psych2 ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2020 at 6:24 PM

Okay - my original S/N activated the 11.3 download so thanks for the advice! I found I couldn't load folders of numerous models with the Add to Library function, so I'll continue loading them one at a time in my preferred order as I've done for years. But I'm back in business again!

BabaBozo ( ) posted Sat, 29 August 2020 at 10:18 AM

Msellers2 writes, "The thing is the internet was down still. A dialogue box came up saying could not start because lease could not be verified. So, does that mean I don't own the software? I thought I'd bought it."

If I understand correctly, lots of software (not just Poser) these days regularly "calls home" to the merchant's server so as to verify that the user's license is valid. As example, there have been threads on the SketchUp forum about this too.

If I understand correctly, what this means is that nobody actually owns software anymore. We own it only so long as the merchant is still in business, still owns the software, and their servers are up and running.

Can't say this for sure, but my guess is that if Smith Micro had just pulled the plug on Poser and walked away, instead of selling Poser to Renderosity, then all copies of Poser everywhere might have then gone dead. Again, just a best guess, and happy to be corrected as needed.

And again, to the best of my knowledge this is an issue that affects many different softwares these days, and not just Poser. It appears this is how software merchants are protecting their businesses against rampant software piracy, which is certainly a valid concern.

Psych2 ( ) posted Sat, 29 August 2020 at 2:22 PM

BabaBozo posted at 2:05PM Sat, 29 August 2020 - #4398063

Msellers2 writes, "The thing is the internet was down still. A dialogue box came up saying could not start because lease could not be verified. So, does that mean I don't own the software? I thought I'd bought it."

If I understand correctly, lots of software (not just Poser) these days regularly "calls home" to the merchant's server so as to verify that the user's license is valid. As example, there have been threads on the SketchUp forum about this too.

If I understand correctly, what this means is that nobody actually owns software anymore. We own it only so long as the merchant is still in business, still owns the software, and their servers are up and running.

Can't say this for sure, but my guess is that if Smith Micro had just pulled the plug on Poser and walked away, instead of selling Poser to Renderosity, then all copies of Poser everywhere might have then gone dead. Again, just a best guess, and happy to be corrected as needed.

And again, to the best of my knowledge this is an issue that affects many different softwares these days, and not just Poser. It appears this is how software merchants are protecting their businesses against rampant software piracy, which is certainly a valid concern.

Yes, it SUCKS that so many software manufacturers have taken the measures you mentioned. 20 years ago when you bought SW it was good for years; I still use Word 2000 and Photo Impact from that era today -- because they still work fine for my needs and the license is forever -- as it SHOULD be. I feel sorry for all the Photoshop users that pay by each month or by the year just to use it. I paid less for Photo Impact (which still does 95% of what Photoshop can do) and Word 2000 than what Adobe charges for one month of Photoshop...

For Poser 11, there is a way to have it not call home to confirm validation before it will operate. I'm not sure what you must do to qualify (unreliable or very expensive Internet access?), but I believe the author of this thread, jennblake, can help.

structure ( ) posted Sat, 29 August 2020 at 2:29 PM
Forum Coordinator

Psych2 posted at 8:28PM Sat, 29 August 2020 - #4398076

For Poser 11, there is a way to have it not call home to confirm validation before it will operate. I'm not sure what you must do to qualify (unreliable or very expensive Internet access?), but I believe the author of this thread, jennblake, can help.

contact admin ask them for an extended license, explain why you need it.

Locked Out

BabaBozo ( ) posted Sat, 29 August 2020 at 5:32 PM

Psych2 writes, "contact admin ask them for an extended license, explain why you need it."

They need it because they paid for it, and it's now their property, and nobody else's business?

I like that explanation.

LadyElf ( ) posted Mon, 21 September 2020 at 2:45 AM

I have a question, but it's about my Poser Pro2014. I had a hard drive crash, a while back, still trying to recover files. In the meantime I am using a different desktop and I have Poser 11 installed.

I tried reinstalling my Poser 2014, it says it's installed, but when I go to launch the program, the program screen comes up, then just goes away, no asking for serial number or anything.

Does this have anything to do with the 2011 installation? I would really like to be able to use both if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

structure ( ) posted Mon, 21 September 2020 at 4:03 PM
Forum Coordinator

LadyElf posted at 10:01PM Mon, 21 September 2020 - #4399999

I have a question, but it's about my Poser Pro2014. I had a hard drive crash, a while back, still trying to recover files. In the meantime I am using a different desktop and I have Poser 11 installed.

I tried reinstalling my Poser 2014, it says it's installed, but when I go to launch the program, the program screen comes up, then just goes away, no asking for serial number or anything.

Does this have anything to do with the 2011 installation? I would really like to be able to use both if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Have you installed the service release

Locked Out

LadyElf ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2020 at 3:27 AM ยท edited Thu, 24 September 2020 at 3:28 AM

Doesn't look like a valid link anymore. I'll do a search for the service release and see if that works ;) It may no longer be available :(

Thanks!

structure ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2020 at 8:35 AM
Forum Coordinator

LadyElf posted at 2:34PM Thu, 24 September 2020 - #4400169

Doesn't look like a valid link anymore. I'll do a search for the service release and see if that works ;) It may no longer be available :(

Thanks!

Hi, if you are having issues accessing the file, I have sitemailed you, the link is still valid. Respond to my sitemail and we will work something out.

Locked Out

Gisela ( ) posted Thu, 15 October 2020 at 9:27 AM

I need help. My poser pro 11 stops and crash anytime. I have the latest version. I'm on windows 10 latest version too. What could it be? Thanks in advance.

structure ( ) posted Fri, 16 October 2020 at 12:06 PM ยท edited Fri, 16 October 2020 at 12:08 PM
Forum Coordinator

Hi Gisela, this issue could be caused by a number things ( some not even poser related )

I sent you a sitemail I will discuss this with you there and see if we can find a solution for you.

Locked Out

Gisela ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2020 at 8:56 AM

structure posted at 8:56AM Sat, 28 November 2020 - #4401613

Hi Gisela, this issue could be caused by a number things ( some not even poser related )

I sent you a sitemail I will discuss this with you there and see if we can find a solution for you.

Hi Mr Struture where I do write to have my poser pro 11 serial reset because I had formatted a few times changing my operating system to find stability of the program. Now it tells me that I had to buy a new licence because I exceed the number of times I can use it. But everytime I had deleted the information and serial.

structure ( ) posted Sun, 29 November 2020 at 10:14 AM
Forum Coordinator

Hi Gisela - please write to admim@renderosity.com explaining your situation

Locked Out

Gisela ( ) posted Mon, 30 November 2020 at 6:23 AM

structure posted at 6:23AM Mon, 30 November 2020 - #4405981

Hi Gisela - please write to admim@renderosity.com explaining your situation Thank you!

Habatchii ( ) posted Mon, 30 November 2020 at 4:13 PM

Quick question. My P11 Pro recently stop installing additional content. The runtimes are still accessible, and I do get a screen confirmation after attempting to install; but no other installs are registering in the library. Any suggestions?

structure ( ) posted Mon, 30 November 2020 at 11:14 PM
Forum Coordinator

You might want to submit a ticket so that the devs can take a look at the issue to see if something is broken.

Locked Out

Habatchii ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2020 at 2:34 PM

Where are the tickets created? @Posersoftware.com?

structure posted at 2:33PM Thu, 03 December 2020 - #4406109

You might want to submit a ticket so that the devs can take a look at the issue to see if something is broken.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2020 at 4:24 PM ยท edited Thu, 03 December 2020 at 4:27 PM

Habatchii posted at 4:21PM Thu, 03 December 2020 - #4406081

Quick question. My P11 Pro recently stop installing additional content. The runtimes are still accessible, and I do get a screen confirmation after attempting to install, but no other installs are registering in the library. Any suggestions?

How are you installing your content and did you open the content file to make sure that they follow the folder hierarchy established for every runtime? If there is something unusual with the content files, you may be nesting their actual runtime within a runtime. As for opening a problem ticket at the website, click on the support banner at the top and navigate to Support Website.

structure ( ) posted Thu, 03 December 2020 at 5:34 PM
Forum Coordinator

Habatchii posted at 5:33PM Thu, 03 December 2020 - #4406341

Where are the tickets created? @Posersoftware.com?

structure posted at 2:33PM Thu, 03 December 2020 - #4406109

PoserSoftware Ticket

Locked Out

anniemation ( ) posted Mon, 21 December 2020 at 4:03 PM ยท edited Mon, 21 December 2020 at 4:06 PM

I got a weird message when trying to open Poser 11 today. Says I need to connect to the net even though I am. Please help. The link to the download page wouldn't load.

poser.png

structure ( ) posted Mon, 21 December 2020 at 4:14 PM ยท edited Mon, 21 December 2020 at 4:15 PM
Forum Coordinator

it looks like posersoftware.com is temporarily down

isitdown

Locked Out

anniemation ( ) posted Mon, 21 December 2020 at 6:38 PM

Yay! It just opened.

lesgraham ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2021 at 8:27 PM

I've recently had to install poser 11 as Poser 10 is no longer functional.My problem when i try to activate it i get a message activation failed to complete please contacvr an a link the link is no longer functional it is a very old download I am working from though I Did purchase the Program from here several years ago .It is a valid key an Legally Purchased program an is listed in my purchases form this Site ,I am a basic amateur hobbyist who uses Poser to create art for In game chars for both tabletop an online games as well as for my own for my own enjoyment at present cannot even get the program to function as it crashes 3 minutes into running any help would be appreciated as i cannot contact help at present as links posted here no longer work

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2021 at 6:07 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Are the links you're using for Posersoftware.com or Smithmicro? Make sure it's posersoftware.

Also, since you said it was a very old download, it sounds like you might need to upgrade. The current version is 11.3.818. You can get that at the same site. click on downloads.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

lesgraham ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2021 at 12:38 PM ยท edited Wed, 13 January 2021 at 12:40 PM

RedPhantom posted at 12:35PM Wed, 13 January 2021 - #4410163

Are the links you're using for Posersoftware.com or Smithmicro? Make sure it's posersoftware.

Also, since you said it was a very old download, it sounds like you might need to upgrade. The current version is 11.3.818. You can get that at the same site. click on downloads. Thank you very much red wandering about here very early this morning and about to give upon ever benign able to make any art ever again ,I stumbled over that link you mentioned and as stated Old version ,its up and running an think even saved and can use some of the older items in my runtime .

structure ( ) posted Thu, 14 January 2021 at 6:05 PM ยท edited Thu, 14 January 2021 at 6:06 PM
Forum Coordinator

lesgraham posted at 6:03PM Thu, 14 January 2021 - #4410136

I've recently had to install poser 11 as Poser 10 is no longer functional.My problem when i try to activate it i get a message activation failed to complete please contacvr an a link the link is no longer functional it is a very old download I am working from though I Did purchase the Program from here several years ago .It is a valid key an Legally Purchased program an is listed in my purchases form this Site ,I am a basic amateur hobbyist who uses Poser to create art for In game chars for both tabletop an online games as well as for my own for my own enjoyment at present cannot even get the program to function as it crashes 3 minutes into running any help would be appreciated as i cannot contact help at present as links posted here no longer work

please see the message at this link @4371864

Locked Out

structure ( ) posted Thu, 14 January 2021 at 6:06 PM
Forum Coordinator

Locked Out

grosporina ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 6:05 AM

I don't know if this is the right thread but it seems like a "Poser 11 won't start or won't keep running issue" so here goes... Poser 11 will crash when I either File->Close or File->New if I have previously loaded a figure or scene that uses the DSON importer. I'm running Windows 10 and looking in my application logs I can see a new entry for every time it happens, the "friendly view" information for each event looks like this Poser.exe 11.3.818.0 5edcd5a1 python27.dll 2.7.17150.1013 5e815992 c000041d 0000000000119a32 338 01d709d4605ab9fa C:Program FilesPoser SoftwarePoser 11Poser.exe C:Program FilesPoser SoftwarePoser 11python27.dll 9e2f0a95-7374-4d4f-93ca-60e6b49310e3

It also randomly happens if I have a scene with DSON imported figures and delete one or more figures from the scene, but the file->Close and file->New behaviour is consistently repeatable. It doesn't happen if I haven't loaded any figures in that use the DSON importer. Is there a known issue with DSON and Poser 11.3 and any known workaround? I use Genesis 1 figures a lot, so for the time being I'm stuck working in Poser 10 then loading up nearly completed scenes in Poser 11 just when I want to use any new functionality like the new render engine.

I just upgraded from Poser 10 to Poser 11.3.818. Installed fresh from that version, I didn't update from any earlier version like 11.2, then I downloaded the x64 windows DSON importer from DAZ and installed it to my Poser 11 directory and loaded up all my runtimes from previous Poser versions (I have several runtimes worth of content from Poser 4 onward).

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 8:23 AM

From what I've read about the DSON Importer, there was a version that didn't work correctly and caused major headaches for many users. It may have been the latest iteration but I couldn't be sure. It might be worth obtaining an earlier version if you can find it and see if the issue still persists.

grosporina ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 9:25 AM

Thanks, I have seen some stuff about the transition form 11.2 to 11.3 being a messy one. I will see what I can do about getting an older version, I don't think the official download site has legacy versions.

hborre posted at 9:24AM Tue, 23 February 2021 - #4413642

From what I've read about the DSON Importer, there was a version that didn't work correctly and caused major headaches for many users. It may have been the latest iteration but I couldn't be sure. It might be worth obtaining an earlier version if you can find it and see if the issue still persists.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 10:07 AM

I have been one of the lucky few that didn't have major problems with the 11.2 to 11.3 updates. If you are using DAZ Import Manager for installation then it is a likelihood it only contains the latest version. However, if you check your downloads at DAZ3D you might come across the separate iterations. You just need to know when you ordered the app.

grosporina ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 10:23 AM

I've done everything as manually as I could but I'm a bit confused, are you saying that the issue may be with the version of DSON Importer? I originally got it a few years ago but the only download I see available to me now is the current version, 1.2.0.12. I might have older installers that I downloaded over the years in backups but I think they'd be 32bit versions being for Poser 10 and earlier. As for Poser 11 I just purchased it days ago, so I don't have the install media for anything but 11.3.818.

hborre posted at 10:18AM Tue, 23 February 2021 - #4413657

I have been one of the lucky few that didn't have major problems with the 11.2 to 11.3 updates. If you are using DAZ Import Manager for installation then it is a likelihood it only contains the latest version. However, if you check your downloads at DAZ3D you might come across the separate iterations. You just need to know when you ordered the app.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 10:46 AM

One question: are you turning off Subdivision when you import Genesis into Poser 11? This particular feature has been problematic in the past, I have had crashes and slow responses when the DSON Importer was introduced. Turning off Subdivision eliminated that problem.

grosporina ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 11:27 AM

For me DSON mporter chews away in the background whenever I open a Genesis figure from the Poser companion files (the .duf, .py, .cr2). I can zero out the subdivision slider after having loaded a figure and that doesn't do anything to prevent the crash. It's been a few years since I built up my library of Genesis content, but I don't remember having access to any options at load time, I just load up the character from the runtime library and DSON importer throws up a couple progress bar dialogs then presto the figure's loaded. Is there something I should to do force a "re-import" to have access to importer options? The companion files in the runtime folder seem to be the same versions as I originally downloaded from DAZ.

hborre posted at 11:14AM Tue, 23 February 2021 - #4413662

One question: are you turning off Subdivision when you import Genesis into Poser 11? This particular feature has been problematic in the past, I have had crashes and slow responses when the DSON Importer was introduced. Turning off Subdivision eliminated that problem.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 1:17 PM

Try resaving your figure back into the Library with a different name or a different location and load that one into your scene. It might make a difference but then again it might not. I know that I can get Genesis 8 into Poser 12 using that method after using the converter for Genesis 3. Might be worth a try.

grosporina ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 6:30 PM

Thanks for your help so far. Tried your suggestion, didn't seem to make any difference, still crashing same as before on file->close and file->new even if I create a new genesis-based library entry, shutdown, the load up clean and load up the new library character.

hborre posted at 6:28PM Tue, 23 February 2021 - #4413683

Try resaving your figure back into the Library with a different name or a different location and load that one into your scene. It might make a difference but then again it might not. I know that I can get Genesis 8 into Poser 12 using that method after using the converter for Genesis 3. Might be worth a try.

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Fri, 12 March 2021 at 7:54 AM ยท edited Fri, 12 March 2021 at 7:58 AM

grosporina posted at 7:49AM Fri, 12 March 2021 - #4413639

Appears the work around is not to save the figure again with any hair props or clothing apparently dson does not except it and corrupts the figure in some way.

Basically you have to dress the figure from scratch and can't save it as a pz3 or cr2 for the the problem to go away, however I'm still getting crashes whenever I delete anything dson in the scene so if I have to remove anything I have to make it transparent to hide it because hide doesn't seem to work either.

Same issue crashes when I delete a dson figure running poser 11 on 16 gigs of memory on an I 7 quad-core with invidia 128 video memory.

Not only that but my figures after being saved as pz3 load back with corrupted fittings to clothing sometimes the figures get corrupted and spagettified stretched out in a spiral formation.

I don't know if this is the right thread but it seems like a "Poser 11 won't start or won't keep running issue" so here goes... Poser 11 will crash when I either File->Close or File->New if I have previously loaded a figure or scene that uses the DSON importer. I'm running Windows 10 and looking in my application logs I can see a new entry for every time it happens, the "friendly view" information for each event looks like this Poser.exe 11.3.818.0 5edcd5a1 python27.dll 2.7.17150.1013 5e815992 c000041d 0000000000119a32 338 01d709d4605ab9fa C:Program FilesPoser SoftwarePoser 11Poser.exe C:Program FilesPoser SoftwarePoser 11python27.dll 9e2f0a95-7374-4d4f-93ca-60e6b49310e3

It also randomly happens if I have a scene with DSON imported figures and delete one or more figures from the scene, but the file->Close and file->New behaviour is consistently repeatable. It doesn't happen if I haven't loaded any figures in that use the DSON importer. Is there a known issue with DSON and Poser 11.3 and any known workaround? I use Genesis 1 figures a lot, so for the time being I'm stuck working in Poser 10 then loading up nearly completed scenes in Poser 11 just when I want to use any new functionality like the new render engine.

I just upgraded from Poser 10 to Poser 11.3.818. Installed fresh from that version, I didn't update from any earlier version like 11.2, then I downloaded the x64 windows DSON importer from DAZ and installed it to my Poser 11 directory and loaded up all my runtimes from previous Poser versions (I have several runtimes worth of content from Poser 4 onward).

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Fri, 12 March 2021 at 8:02 AM

It's definitely not the runtimes from other versions of poser mines doing the same thing with a new runtime and no early runtimes added installed all content fresh.

grosporina ( ) posted Fri, 12 March 2021 at 8:07 AM

Well at least I'm not alone in this boat. If it means starting from "clean" figures every time that's a bit of a nuisance but it's something I can try. To date whenever I've loaded a Genesys based figure it's been some customised version. At least I can still do most of my work on a scene in P10 then open it in P11 to tweak the lighting and rendering options, the crashes haven't started happening yet at other times besides when either deleting a character or closing a document.

Tucan-Tiki posted at 8:05AM Fri, 12 March 2021 - #4414773

It's definitely not the runtimes from other versions of poser mines doing the same thing with a new runtime and no early runtimes added installed all content fresh.

ratpack223 ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2021 at 4:18 AM

Nothing works. Just what I needed this morning. Thanks...

Lilithiel ( ) posted Wed, 28 April 2021 at 4:33 PM

I was running Poser 11.2ish this morning. It shut down abruptly mid render. When I immediately went to restart it, it got as far as the splash screen, started to load the Pose room, then crashed (shut down, no error message).

I tried restarting a couple of times.

There were no modifications to my PC and I'm running Windows 10.

I uninstalled Poser 11.2 using geek.

I downloaded and installed 11.3.818. When I run Poser 11.3 now, it also makes it past the splash screen, loads the base figure in the Pose room and then shuts down.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try to get past this crash?

redwulf ( ) posted Fri, 14 May 2021 at 5:37 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

For the first time since 1994 and Poser 4 I find myself forced to contact someone for basic help. I have progressed through Poser 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10Pro, 11 pro and 2014Pro without need of tech support, now I find that my last two versions have been hi-jacked and I am being forced to ask permission to use them. Not real happy about that, they were purchased with the understanding that it was a purchase not a rental/lease or, something that now needs to be licensed and I'm not sure of the whole thing I had to go through this with 11.1 or 2 thought I was ok but I got sick and pulled away from my computer 5 months now I'm back and I had to re-license or something do this download, to the same location but this time, all of my old files, art files can't find textures and that should not happen. Is this to be the norm for Poser? I've been pretty loyal to this point but if I am going to have to go through all of my art and re texture I call bullshit! If I am going to have to put up with this millennial crap, I've already dled DS, I'll let go all the products I've bought from you and make my switch now. Oh and if this was a decision of some pompous boomer like me, please, someone kick him/her really hard between the legs... Yours, Frustrated

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.