Wed, Sep 18, 2:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Subdivision causing blurry texture

EVargas ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2021 at 12:44 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 5:27 AM

I imported an OBJ and assigned textures for its materials, it all looks reasonable but when I set subdivision level to 1 or greater (for preview or render) the texture gets blurry... I'm new to this system (I have not used Poser in years) so I might be missing something, any help would be appreciate!

PREVIEW OK (subdiv 0):

preview.PNG

PREVIEW NOT OK (subdiv 1):

preview not ok.PNG

RENDERS S-SUPERFLY F-FIREFLY (SAME HAPPENS):

subdiv00.PNG

subdiv02.PNG

MATERIAL SETUP:

matsetup.PNG

EVargas.Art

EVargas ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2021 at 4:02 PM

Ok found something that maybe it's causing the issue. I noticed it only happens after I work with the Unwrap3D app, then I compared the OBJ version of ZBrush Vs Unwrap3D. The face count is the same but I'm losing some decimals on the vertices points.

zb-vs-uu3d.PNG

rounding-issue.PNG

EVargas.Art

caisson ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2021 at 4:39 PM

There is a bug report in for this issue, has been for some time. It may be related to the issue with higher-res morphs, it's something to do with accuracy of vertex positions. Basically it's not a trivial problem, hence no fix yet. Please drop a bug report in via posersoftware.com if you can as the more feedback the devs get the better, thanks.

----------------------------------------

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

EVargas ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2021 at 4:52 PM

Ok thank you for pointing it out!

Well anyway some more from my recent attempt: if OBJ is not working then I thought: how about trying FBX? Ok I exported from UU3D as FBX, it really has more decimals... But when importing Poser crash on me... OMG o/ I'll update here in case it work later.

UU3D to FBX - more precision.PNG

EVargas.Art

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2021 at 7:30 PM

I've seen it before too, but in a bit different way. Especially on gradients. There's faceting on gradients when subdivision is applied. It's seems particularly bad on textures that occupy a very small area of an overall uv tile.

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2021 at 7:40 PM

For instance, preview unsubdivided, eyeshadow... unsub.png

1 level of subdivision sub.png

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2021 at 7:43 PM

I can't really fault Poser for it. The example model is very poorly UV mapped in terms of texture space optimization. Still annoying when I discovered it. I think the figure was intended purely for toon shaders however.

EVargas ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2021 at 8:45 AM · edited Tue, 31 August 2021 at 8:48 AM

Good news here, nothing like a good night of sleep and a brand new day! I was missing an important step before exporting from Unwrap3D, It's the "2D Tool/ Weld UVs". Now it works just like magic as expected! See images (using OBJ file format):

01.PNG

02.PNG

EVargas.Art

FVerbaas ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2021 at 9:35 AM
Forum Coordinator

Good to see this is solved.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.