Wed, Sep 18, 10:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / New Poser Users Help

Welcome to the New Poser Users Help Forum

Forum Moderators: Anim8dtoon, RedPhantom, Staff

New Poser Users Help F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 2:37 pm)

New to Poser? Ask questions here for expert help!

Subject: Adding New Figures to Poser 11

neomyth01 ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2019 at 12:13 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 7:17 AM

Hello. I'm new to Poser and am having difficulty adding new figures to Poser 11. I purchased a new figure from Renderosity, and attempted to add it via the +(books) button in the Library Tab. When I choose the Runtime folder for the new figure, only the name of the figure shows up in my Downloads but it alway contains zero files. Nothing shows up. What am I doing wrong? Any assistance would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Nails60 ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2019 at 1:16 PM

The plus books button is to add a new library, not to add a new figure.

When you install poser you start with 2 libraries, one called poser 11 content and one called downloads. You can add content to either of these, but it is best to keep the poser 11 content folder library for the content supplied with poser.

To add a new figure to an existing library, select install from zip archive in the file menu in poser. A window will open to allow you to select the zip file, then click on open , ok or whatever the choice is (sorry can't remember as I do this without thinking these days).

A pop up will appear which allows you to select from your existing libraries, if you haven't added a new library choose downloads, and your content should be installed. Yu may have to refresh the library to see it click on a the blue circle in the library)

This video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3y6ElYNshk

Explains about creating new libraries

neomyth01 ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 12:07 PM

@Nails60. Thanks for the post! I tried installing from zip archive but it doesn't work. It leads me to the downloaded file, which, as I continue to open them-first with the Runtime folder, it only continues on to the files contained within such as Textures, Libraries, Python, and Geometries; none of which does anything. Whatever it is I'm supposed to do isn't self evident. Am I missing something? Thanks again for any assistance!

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 12:20 PM
Online Now!

Could you please clarify exactly which figure you are referring to? I have a feeling that you may be confusing a character for a figure. If you could kindly post a link, we could proceed from there to determine whether we are dealing with an actual model or a morph package for a model.

neomyth01 ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 12:43 PM

Hi @Nails60. Here's a screen grab from the additional files provided to me from Poser. Any of the content I attempt to add from the downloads, such as PoserPremiumContent_figures.zip doesn't work for me. I follow the screen prompts when attempting to install from the Zip file, but they just lead me to nowhere in so far as accomplishing anything. Forgive my ignorance regarding my knowledge of Poser, but I'm just learning. Thanks for your feedback, and please let me know if the screenshot comes through as it only shows up as text on my end after dragging it to this window.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-18-at-10.31.32-AM.jpg

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 3:11 PM
Online Now!

Have you downloaded those files to your computer? If this is a screen grab of what is on the download page (which it looks like) you need to actually have them on your computer before you can use them. Also, when you say 'I follow the screen prompts when attempting to install from the Zip file, but they just lead me to nowhere in so far as accomplishing anything' what is exactly that you see/ expect to see?

The more information you give in detail, the better we can help you.

neomyth01 ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 3:59 PM

Hi Rhia474. I haven't downloaded all of the files because they're so many of them. However, I have downloaded the ones I indicated I've attempted to install from zip file. For example, when I attempt to install the PoserPremiumContent_Figures.zip, and follow the install from Zip Files prompts, I get these windows (see screen grabs). I choose the runtime folder, but it opens up to more folders as indicated by the second screen grab. If I choose any of the folders, the prompts no longer indicate an "open" button. I realize I'm missing something here, but Poser isn't a very intuitive program like so many other well developed apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Thanks for any feedback!Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 1.50.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 1.50.59 PM.png

Nails60 ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 5:56 PM · edited Wed, 18 December 2019 at 5:57 PM

Are you on Windows or Mac? On Windows things should work like this.

Download the zip file to anywhere on your machine (normally the Downloads folder)

Click on install from zip archive in the file menu in poser and an explorer window will open. Navigate to the zip file you have downloaded, select it and click on open.

A pop up window will now appear which give you the option of which runtime you want to install the content to, select whichever you want and things should go smoothly.

From the screen grab it looks as if you might have already unzipped the zip file, and this is why install from zip archive doesn't work.

I only use Windows so if you are on a Mac there may be other problems of which I am unaware.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 6:22 PM · edited Wed, 18 December 2019 at 6:25 PM
Online Now!

There is a major problem with this particular file in the way that it is constructed. Going back to my own download, I noticed that the primary folder within the zip is called Poser Premium Content, not runtime that is contained within. The install from zip script in Poser will only work if the compressed file is properly set up with the internal folders placed in a Runtime folder which is not the case. I was never a big fan of the Poser script for this very reason that improperly constructed zips will not install correctly. Somehow, what you have at this moment is a nested runtime, a runtime within a runtime. My recommendation, either you manually open your zip file and export the folders to an established runtime folder (a primary folder that contains a runtime folder), or unzip the compressed file to a known location and add it to your Poser Library with the procedure outlined above.

Edit: @ Nails60: That is incorrect advice. Open your identical zip and examine the folder contents. The Poser script will never resolve that hierarchy.

neomyth01 ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 6:31 PM

Thanks Nails60! I'm on a Mac with Safari Browser. Apparently, it automatically unzips the files so I recompressed them and the Install from Zip is working! However, while the files I've downloaded and installed are showing up in the Downloads in Poser, when I click on them, the files cannot be found. I'm going to install all of the extra files from Renderosity's site and see if things come together. I will reach out again if I can't access the figures. I appreciate yours and Rhia474's assistance! Making progress! Cheers!

Nails60 ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 6:33 PM

I just downloaded the latest version to check, date stamp 12-12-19 and the file structure is now correct so that is why I gave my advice as it was. Older versions did have the problem to which you refer

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 18 December 2019 at 6:47 PM
Online Now!

Sorry, am a Windows girl. I will defer to others who are familiar with Mac.

neomyth01 ( ) posted Fri, 20 December 2019 at 2:16 PM

Hi Everyone! I've managed to get many of the figures to show up in Poser after installing from Zip. However, in the downloads window on the right, I have all of these other files that don't seem to be working. See screen grab. I've downloaded all of the Common and Legacy files. What might I be missing? Thanks for any help! Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 12.12.08 PM.png

neomyth01 ( ) posted Fri, 20 December 2019 at 2:22 PM

The files I'm referring to start with Alisha, Alisha 2, etc. They are extensive, and the screen grab is only a small part of the list. When I click on any of them, the program indicates missing files. Thanks for any feedback!

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 20 December 2019 at 2:40 PM
Online Now!

Those look like files that have been misplaced or duplicated during installation. The icons are totally missing, which explains the shrugging man. Under which category are you seeing these extra files? If you hover your pointer over the image a path text will appear and show what type of file it is associated to it.

neomyth01 ( ) posted Fri, 20 December 2019 at 2:53 PM

When I purchased Poser 11 Pro, I downloaded these files (see screen grab) as well as all of the addition files (Common and Legacy). However, during the install from Zip, there were times when notices indicating that there were already files named the same as those that I was presently downloading, popped up. I overwrote those because there were so many of them when installing the Common and Legacy files, and it seemed the thing to do. Not sure if that was ok or not. All of that said, it appears I'm now left with the Shrugging Man icons. To be honest here, I wish Poser was more refined as many other larger apps are like Photoshop, etc. I'd be nice when purchasing a program, it provided a simple, download manager that made sure everything one needed to run the program was properly installed; not having to manually install so many separate files. Sorry for the rant, but this process is frustrating.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 20 December 2019 at 4:58 PM
Online Now!

No need to apologize, Poser installation was never this complicated nor frustrating. Since the switch over from SmithMicro to Bondware, the process had become rather convoluted trying to upgrade everyone to one version. Only the hardcore veterans had an easier time figuring out what was going on, leaving the fledglings floundering for uninstructed solutions.

romangirl ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 12:15 PM

When I worked with Poser 7 and 9, I would open a file (figure) and click on the figure's body.  A + sign appeared somewhere, and I clicked on the + to add the figure to the library.  So easy!

That doesn't work for me in Poser 11, so I tried Poser 9 to get the figure in the library.
I clicked on the +sign and opened Add to Library.  That gave me New Set.  I clicked on it and see the figure icon in my library.   But I can't find it in Poser 11 when I open the library.
Totally confused!

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 3:31 PM
Online Now!

Are the older Poser version Runtimes linked to the P11 Library?  If they are, you need to navigate to those runtimes through the P11 Library.  Also, whenever you save a figure or prop back to the Library, make certain that you have either created a folder or selected a folder to put them in.  Otherwise, they can disappear down the Runtime rabbit hole.

romangirl ( ) posted Tue, 14 December 2021 at 11:33 AM

Thank you!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.