Mon, Oct 21, 11:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:11 pm)

Subject: Using Zwrap plugin to make facial morphs for Poser figures

rtamesis ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 12:53 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:34 PM

I've been experimenting with the awesome plugin Zwrap (http://www.russian3dscanner.com/zwrap/) in ZBrush to see if I could make facial morphs for Poser figures exported to ZBrush via GoZ. The plugin works as expected in modifying the Poser figure model to fit a pre-existing topology, such as a high resolution 3d scan of a person's face or even a Genesis figure imported as a tool in Zbrush, but when I try to send the Poser figure back to Poser 12 via GoZ, I get a dialog box that asks me if I want to import the geometry as a prop rather than as a morph. So far I've not been able to find a workaround solution to the problem. My question to the group is, has anyone used Zwrap to successfully create morphs for Poser figures via GoZ?

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 2:20 PM · edited Sat, 16 July 2022 at 2:22 PM

No.... but I've done similar manually in mudbox moving polys of the target to match basically coplanar with a sample mesh in scene and underlaying... with varying results of success. Usually good enough for my purposes. I used this method to fix broken expression dependencies in a figure by excluding certain actors from the projection. I've also cribbed some game character meshes faces into Poser morphs in this way. That's a bit more fiddly and the results have been... close enough for me. There's also a rather clunky method using a prop copy of the sample figure in scene with target and using Poser's tighten fit brush to project...

2qmm59muYNuwHzBoQxEjsdHEM4ZBgTnOXKlH9A0b.png

rBHCDl4DyrSEuLw0RMT4X6n7RXrv67pyrvfds8zK.png

bHvUQ1eksvx4z4bDlWiL3IZIW0bQM53vGmaYfIpb.png

I'm curious if you can't use the ZWrap output prop as a morph target for target figure? Is the vertex count and order maintained? If so you should be able to apply that prop as a morph target or FBM ( big maybe on that one depending on groups being maintained on the output) and fix any adjoining body part seams differences via smoothing etc.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll have to wing it like I do. If it means that much of course.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 2:30 PM · edited Sat, 16 July 2022 at 2:33 PM

Example. Export the GoZ prop result as wavefront obj (all options unchecked) and reimport via properties of actor load morph target (assuming single actor, head for instance) and see if that works. Eyes and mouth part actors will make things very tricky depending on output result and your methods. That would require a load as FBM assuming they were included, the vertex order was maintained, and groups existing. Very touchy. And would require post fiddling besides.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 2:48 PM

I'm pretty certain that someone over on the Daz forums has managed to use the Wrap3d standalone application to project game model faces onto Genesis with success... star trek stuff. But that's DS.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 3:39 PM

Also. Is the prop it's producing the full figure mesh?

Probably you won't get many responses because of the nature of the process. Copying other peoples morphs or character designs with an automation. It's a fuzzy area. Though I don't see anything sinister about it if it's for your own personal use. But others might disagree. At least if you sculpt your own version from scratch there's a bit more "art" to it.

rtamesis ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 4:13 PM

Yes, the resulting prop is a full figure mesh. All that Zwrap does is move the vertices of the imported Poser base mesh in Zbrush to conform with the topology of the target; it does not add new topology any more than using Zbrush's move tools or brushes. I'm thinking that this may be a bug in Poser's implementation of GoZ. I may have to look into exporting the modified model as an obj file as you suggested earlier and do it the way Poser morphs were made with Zbrush before GoZ came around.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 4:30 PM

I'm familiar with it.

And yes, sounds like a good idea. A solution at least. I use PML for morph operations but I used to do it the old fashioned way myself. I have to agree about GoZ, it needs some polishing. Subdivision morphs via GoZ can be touchy too.

Cheers.

rtamesis ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 4:30 PM

For those unfamiliar with Zwrap, here's a Youtube video that shows what it's used for by production studios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ori2aTm3IPg

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 5:11 PM

There's a standalone also, same company that makes the plug in. Slightly ominous name lol.

https://www.russian3dscanner.com/

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 7:26 PM

Yes, there's someone in the DAZ forums who is using this on game models to make Genesis versions of Star Trek characters. He posts in the Star Trek Builders Unite thread. 

Dunno if he'd be able to help, since he uses DAZ Studio instead of Poser, but you could ask. His screen name is FleetAdmiral01. He says he's converted over 100 figures now and so has the workflow nailed down.

rtamesis ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2022 at 11:58 PM

I searched his posts and it looks like he uses the standalone app Wrap3, made by the same makers of ZWrap. He also posted this tutorial video there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tLGSNEhCFs8&feature=emb_logo

rtamesis ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2022 at 12:08 AM · edited Sun, 17 July 2022 at 12:09 AM

This is a screenshot of his post where he mentioned the video tutorial using Wrap and some additional steps he did to convert those Star Trek characters to G8fRChyjJuWASGQ079W4IhCndVZrzk8arwotvQgbzx.jpeg

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2022 at 1:38 PM · edited Sun, 17 July 2022 at 1:38 PM

How are you getting the mesh into ZBrush? Are you exporting from Poser using GoZ, or are you starting with the unified, default character OBJ? 

If you use GoZ to export the OBJ into ZBrush, the issue you may be having when going back to Poser is that ZBrush may have automatically welded the vertices at the group boundaries. As a result, the vertex count is different than the version that was exported from Poser, and that may be why you are being prompted to save it as a prop in Poser.

Generally, you probably don't want to just morph the head, because then it may no longer match up with eye and mouth positions (which are separate groups). 

rtamesis ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2022 at 5:39 PM · edited Sun, 17 July 2022 at 5:48 PM

After much experimentation today, I found that the only way to make it work for Poser is to

1. first export the figure base mesh as an obj file with As Morph Target, Include body part names in polygon groups, and Include figure names in polygon groups as the only options checked and then

2. import that as a tool into Zbrush. I mask out everything except the head mesh, taking care to also mask out the eyelashes and the inner mouth. I then add the target mesh as another subtool using the Subtool Master Zplugin, scale it as close as possible so that its head is more or less the same as the poser figure's head and align it as closely as possible with the eyes as a reference point.

3. Fire up ZWrap in the plugin, follow the instructions with regards to assigning corresponding points on the two meshes and then start wrapping.

4. Depending on how you mask the area between the head and neck, you will get varying degrees of separation between the two areas. You will have to then try to approximate their edges as best as you can using Zbrush's topological move brush and touch up some areas such as the eyelids.

5. Export the Zwrapped mesh as an obj file and import that into Poser with everything checked off.

6. Use the Grouping tool to select the head and neck and create props out of those areas.

7. Export the head and neck props as separate obj files and check only Morph targets.

8. Bring in the Poser figure that you want to receive the morphs. Select the head and load the head morph file using the Properties tab button. The new morph will be in the Propertes tab of the head at the bottom. Do the same for the neck.

rtamesis ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2022 at 5:41 PM

I've tried using a GoZ imported poser figure and then using it to send it back to Poser, but the problem is that Zbrush changes its name when exporting via GoZ. As a result, it comes back to Poser as a prop rather than as a morph. I've found no solution so far to this.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.