Fri, Oct 4, 1:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Lighting in Superly (Poser 11)

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2022 at 4:15 PM

Nice.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2022 at 8:03 PM · edited Tue, 12 July 2022 at 8:03 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

After letting this render cook all day, I finally got the image I was working on.  I got the lighting just right with 2 types of Blackbody lamps, point lights with 10,000 degrees Kelvin temperature, and the overhead mesh with 4,100 degrees Kelvin.  This translates to blue and yellow-orange lighting throughout the scene.  Since I figured out how to arrange blackbody emission and inverse square on the PoserPhysical node, that opens up more possibilities with photo-accurate lighting.  The perfect example in the scene is the overhead, white lights emitting a yellow-orange tint.

At3kFaKbDUXHOHtUqtOGyC4Y7EolEcYeCHUnbFWi.png

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2022 at 8:39 PM

Really cool. I like where this thread is heading!

I had a few stumbles along the way. My laptop is connected to the internet, and it decided now was a good time to to some updates, so it was buggy. I had to shut down Poser and restart the darn thing.

I haven't started up Poser yet, but I will in a bit. I have a different scene to render; one that includes my V4 creature. I will do that one now. The other one, with the developer lights will have to stand. Pity. I like the lighting the way I got it now...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2022 at 8:40 PM

I think your figure needs wings...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2022 at 9:10 PM

I did start customizing SSS and translucency on a pair of wings.  I will need to revisit that project.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2022 at 9:58 PM

It would be cool. I will have to post mine tomorrow or the next day...

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2022 at 10:09 PM

Looking forward to that.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2022 at 6:26 PM

Just when I thought I was done.

DxHlyAl6aDiwthhzTVl4zF6KblxvRb0LISxbZ4JV.png

"The screams have fallen silent, and the thick smoke from the recovery ship's afterburners remains in the unfiltered air.  Leathery wings flutter in the darkness.  A new lifeform inhabits the hangar, hungry and thirsty for new prey.  In the dead of space, a feast has now begun."

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2022 at 9:02 PM · edited Wed, 13 July 2022 at 9:02 PM

That looks awesome. Very demonic.

My version is a little more out there:

oBUsbzowcBsY2s3UFMSXPCXbfou0c4wPFgT7tBU6.jpg

I am over this concept already. But I plan on doing some She Hulk stuff soon. And I am going to play with mesh lights again. This was interesting and educational...

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2022 at 9:44 PM
Yeah, I really enjoyed this challenge.  I always like to troubleshoot and find solutions to these problems.  Keeps me young.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2022 at 10:02 AM · edited Mon, 18 July 2022 at 10:02 AM

Well, since Marvel is going to do a She Hulk series now, I thought I would create this costume. I had done one previously, but I deleted it because I wasn't happy with it.

So in keeping with the challenge, I am going to submit the first image with the EZDome, so you can see the textures and everything clear. Then I go for a low light/ mesh light attempt:

FIrpkMlCtSsjYWengsGPgqHZDK4aKvBdIOoqMnDb.jpg

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2022 at 12:16 PM

Love the texture pattern on the suit.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2022 at 12:50 PM

Thank you, kind sir!

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2022 at 5:22 PM · edited Mon, 18 July 2022 at 5:22 PM

My first attempt at mesh lights. I created a Fluorescent light prop and used that as the lights for the scene. I have some tweaking to do, but other than the obvious grainy issues, it's showing promise.

5mIs492Yb8q5jqnroJCf6w5bz8SIbrXDJJaYQlh4.jpg

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2022 at 7:08 PM

Yep, mesh lights can be very noisy at times.  In Poser 12, you can apply denoising after the render to sharpen the image.  But that has its downside if it aggressively smooths out the details.  I see that her teeth are a little too bright for the scene.  Try this teeth shader I created, you can control the color tint at the hsv2 node and the specular brightness on the Roughness channel of the GlossyBsdf.  Let me know what you think of it.

VqG0sUpb67cYetUEBGfH02jZUowpqqq2bAyBnchQ.png

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2022 at 7:54 PM · edited Mon, 18 July 2022 at 7:55 PM

I will try it. I am doing another render with a different light setting.

It's taking awhile...

And I am still on Poser 11. Doubt I will update any time soon.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2022 at 9:38 AM

I am admittedly weak when it comes to Cycles. How do I set up a mirror using Cycles?

I am using an older prop mirror that I had to change a lot of the materials with because it was created using old Firefly cheats, but I am not sure how to set up the actual mirrored surface. Cranking up the value in the reflection node isn't doing what I want.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2022 at 11:04 AM · edited Tue, 19 July 2022 at 11:04 AM

A quick way to get a photoreal mirror with Superfly is to use the PhysicalSurface and set it up as per the image below:

xXM5owIOJogUO6pcD8CSKbFdN92BFoYqdtv60rgb.png

This is without going into the actual construction of a mirror that involves creating a glass layer, a reflective layer, and any additional imperfections you want to add to the surface(s).  I am currently working on another project but this is what the Superfly render looks like:

2MvtB8WRfW69Tk33POEy8twSoY4hVYcj91gvjnHg.png

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2022 at 11:26 AM · edited Tue, 19 July 2022 at 11:26 AM

I think I figured it out. I just used the standard Poser Surface, and tweaked the settings to get what I wanted.

I will post a render later.

I used the search function here and found some old threads where BB was explaining how to do it. Always follow the master's advice...

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2022 at 3:35 PM

Well, I tweaked my way into a mess, so I just added the shader you posted. I am still trying to figure out how to get the shadows off her face, as it's lit up quite well outside the reflection, but in the mirror it's dark...

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2022 at 4:22 PM

Do you have a screencap?

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2022 at 5:29 PM · edited Tue, 19 July 2022 at 5:29 PM

How about a render? This is the worst render I have ever done since my Poser 8 days...

LM15ALQhEDEtQdwIkyk8sj9l0kN3SaPNYLeH8G3E.png

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2022 at 6:03 PM

The reflection in the mirror is working correctly but the light sources are behind her, nothing illuminating her face from what I can determine.  The tricky part is trying to get a light source close enough to her without showing up in the mirror.  What type of lights are you using?

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 19 July 2022 at 11:03 PM

I was using Poser lights. I actually had a spot light illuminating her face, but it doesn't show in the render....

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 6:59 AM

That spotlight might be blocked.  Double-check its position from the top and sides.  Those default lights can be set far from the origin.  A good practice, turn off all the lights in the scene and turn each on and off to see from where it is illuminating.  

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 8:54 AM

I will do that. But I added that one and positioned it myself. The mirror might be blocking it. I think I will back V4 away from the mirror and see what happens. She is standing a bit close.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 9:51 AM

I don't know if this will work, try an area light with its back parallel to the mirror with no shadows.  The back-end light should not spill over to the mirror.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 10:22 AM · edited Wed, 20 July 2022 at 10:24 AM

I used a spot light and adjusted it so that her face is lit, and I am running a render right now. I'll post when it's complete.

EDIT: the spot light was originally inside the wall, but behind the mirror, so the mirror was blocking it. Moving her back and then moving the spotlight to the other side of the mirror did the trick.

I am going to play with the spotlight scale after I finish this render. I want to see if I can just light her face and not the neck and shoulders area which I have now.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 10:45 AM · edited Wed, 20 July 2022 at 10:45 AM

This is a little better...

MJYwK6s3BwtwtIam88pH7hQCFxmEQkZsUwiE5Jcb.png

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 11:17 AM

I forgot to turn the other lights back on. I stopped the render about half way, but it's pretty cool. I might just let it finish and see what happens...

TH0uoYGazzmXdKuQFsp42RYYGKjmvwpjpIUBqNtH.png

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 12:30 PM · edited Wed, 20 July 2022 at 12:30 PM

I think I am over it. Time to try another subject. But this turned out pretty decent, I think.

RVMRUrqcVhocrQsWtWZZdC3VFOstqR9qetpESkV3.png

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 2:15 PM

Yep, it came out good.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 2:35 PM · edited Wed, 20 July 2022 at 2:35 PM

I use a slightly aqua green shade on mirrors that, when looking right at them, doesn't look green. If you situate mirrors on opposite walls, subsequent reflections will become increasingly more green. no need for a "glass" layer or anything fancy.

b1w4xXQWxClz5MZXYcQV94F4JN9CtUehX9oo67qb.jpg

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 2:51 PM

I like how that turned out. I might try to reproduce something similar, without the blur.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2022 at 6:43 PM

No lights. Just the EzDome...

GooD427rvOFEyGv06ndpVyLtvlj5C2eNSfX8d4cu.png

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2022 at 7:32 PM

The EZDome with the right HDRI can produce amazing rendered images.  An outstanding image.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 24 July 2022 at 11:04 PM

Thank you! I had to tweak Miki's skin textures because she was just too pale. But I am happy with the result.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2022 at 1:09 PM · edited Mon, 25 July 2022 at 1:37 PM

Last one of these. I had to change the texture of the Double Hill prop. The old texture was blurry and didn't fit into the scene like I wanted. The texture I used was solid rock and I wanted something else. So I used a bunch of masks and did my own thing with it. Miki's hair is actually Sydney's strand hair prop. I made the sides and back longer, and added Superfly hair shader to it. I changed the pose around a little bit.

EqzQoNe1mBZnBupfTRLyRuKAa2mHmBjzB11FgMek.png

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2022 at 2:09 PM

I'm a little leery about putting too much specularity into hair pieces, they don't look natural.  Next time you venture outdoors or peruse a color magazine of everyday life, observe how hair responds to light.  You will encounter tinted highlights but nothing exaggerated or stark.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2022 at 2:17 PM

Hair is one of those things I have yet to really mess with. I will have to study this and see what I can do. All I did with this is just add the Superfly shader from the materials room and let it go.

Thank you.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2022 at 3:18 PM

I need to dig around but I do have a hair shader from Ghostship that was freely posted that works in P11.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2022 at 5:15 PM

I would appreciate it. Ghostship's Cycles shaders are tops.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2022 at 5:49 AM · edited Tue, 26 July 2022 at 5:49 AM

Wanted to simulate a flashlight. I am pretty pleased with how this turned out. I am going to try a glow-in-the-dark suit next. No other lights in the scene.

There is an orb effect I pulled off in Firefly awhile back, and I think I want to try to reproduce that too...

7OzJdsv1Z0f5SzCAvFnDLlsOlFdeexM0w9k8x2og.png

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2022 at 12:42 PM

So then, there's this guy...

I already made a Wily-Kitt and Cheetara, so why not do the whole set? Except Snarf...

SRW1ylmS6ogzjrnguKwWJYkTqaZECe6vVsqwD6dL.png

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2022 at 2:32 PM

Interesting to see the whole group together in one render.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2022 at 2:50 PM

That's what I am working on. But doing Tygra might be a challenge. I would probably have to mess with a morph to get that one right. Panthro is really just the cat morph in the creatures morph settings...

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2022 at 2:52 PM

I am trying to decide how to do Lion-O's costume. The original concept is that he grew to an adult on their journey through space, and his costume is really the clothes he was wearing as a kid. But I prefer to do an armor of some sort. The original costume is a little, how would I put it? Nah, I ain't going to go there...

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2022 at 2:58 PM

One problem I am consistently having is that the materials for V4 and M4 cross talk. So whomever is added into the scene second takes on the materials of the first. I would probably have to render them separate and then combine them in GIMP...

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2022 at 3:46 PM

What would happen if you save the completed figure as a partial scene and then bring it into the scene.  Open the contextual menu under File and navigate down to Export, select the first entry, Partial Scene... .  A panel will open that will contain a list of all the figures/props/lights/cameras in the scene, select all the pertinent objects you want to save and press OK.  Save that file to a convenient location, I have a folder called Partial Scenes on my computer.  Once you're ready to reintroduce the figure back into a scene, go to Import>Poser Document/Prop... and select your Partial Scene.  

The other alternative is to save the figure CR2 back to the Library.  Either way, the figures are handled and saved separately and crosstalk minimized.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2022 at 4:04 PM

I will have to look into it.

Did you happen to find that Ghostship hair shader?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.