Sat, Sep 14, 3:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 2:24 pm)

Subject: Please make Poser 11 FREE!

emjay247 ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 10:49 AM · edited Fri, 13 September 2024 at 4:52 AM

Now that Poser 13 has been announced and Poser 12 is complete, please make Poser 11 free with email activation.

What has Bondware got to lose by getting new customers. There are probably a few former users (who may have switched to Daz)  who would come back with that incentive.

What do you think?

ghostship2 ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 1:03 PM
Poser 11 is only $52. Some people (not me) pay more for a haircut. If you want to support Poser/Bondware then the best way to do that is to actually pay for the tools you use.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 1:15 PM

To what end?  All the end-users will be subjected to using outdated software while everyone else moves forward with corrected and more advanced features.  Maybe a discounted, upgrade incentive might draw new users to download a free version but you already have DAZStudio and Blender readily available to the public.  Renderosity is not a content powerhouse that caters equally to Poser and DAZ, it sways to where the market is directed.  Free software needs to have solid content support; without it, trying to encourage current support may backfire from competition within.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 1:18 PM

Can't see it making any sense from a business POV.  For one, it'd likely annoy those who paid for it, for another, it could well put people off paying for a newer version because they'd be holding on to see if it became free at a later date.

I agree with ghostship2, too.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

mr_red ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 1:26 PM

having just paid for poser 11 myself i would be very annoyed if they now decided to give it away.  ( as Sam before me pointed out) .

poser is already under the shadow of Daz so giving it away will only kill it for us fans of poser in my humble view.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 3:06 PM

I think we get a suggestion like that at least twice a year... and it's always worded as if Bondware (or Smith Micro, before) were obligated to do so. Bit of a bad look.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

emjay247 ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 3:59 PM

I LOVE POSER 11! Especially with the capacity to use the Reality to Luxrender plugin and Superfly.

Since the phone home feature was added to the software, moving forward I figured it would be a good way for Bondware to attract more active and online customers into their marketing databases so that they can encourage content purchases (including Poser 12 and 13) at the renderosity.com store. 

It doesn't hurt to ask questions politely. As a new user when I made the purchase near launch, it took me awhile to discern the real world differences between competing software. More than the 21 days allotted for a free trial.  The most unsung and nuanced feature of the program is the ability to undo and redo camera movements. It's so annoying when it happens accidentally. I miss it so much when I use DAZ and blender.

I would like to see an effort to persuade the greater public to become users of the software (like the competing software). Also, Smith Micro was nowhere with content marketplace (paradise?) share when I got on board with rendering. Renderosity and Bondware are in a different position with the leverage of content. 

I'm on a iMac and look forward to trying out the final version of 12. Until then, I will continue to convert content into the Superfly and PBR material formats.  Thanks!

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2022 at 5:40 AM

In one hand, Bondware is in a much better position than Smith Micro was when it comes to the fact that Renderosity is a content marketplace.

In the other hand, Bondware is in a much worse position than Smith Micro was when it comes to dealing with software - Bondware was not a software developer before Poser came into their hands.

Basically, we now have the heart to love Poser, at the hands of a newbie trying to learn how this works. It's a company that won't simply abandon Poser as soon as it's not very profitable anymore like Smith Micro did, but we need the patience to allow them time to adjust to how software development works. They're getting there and I have faith :)

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2022 at 11:53 AM

All Rendo need to do to guarantee Poser 11 will continue to live is remove that damn phone home.

The minute Rendo stop supporting Poser 11 many of us who cannot upgrade to poser 12 and beyond will lose Poser 11. And those who cannot afford a new computer capable of running Poser 12 and up will have no reason to stay here.

If the phone home feature is removed I think that will be incentive enough for people to buy Poser 11.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2022 at 12:00 PM
Site Admin
A_Sunbeam posted at 11:53 AM Thu, 17 November 2022 - #4449445

The minute Rendo stop supporting Poser 11 many of us who cannot upgrade to poser 12 and beyond will lose Poser 11. And those who cannot afford a new computer capable of running Poser 12 and up will have no reason to stay here.

I'm not sure why you can't use Poser 12 on the same computer as Poser 11. I did and it was a 10-year-old computer. I'm not saying things aren't nicer on a newer machine, but it is doable.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Rhia474 ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2022 at 12:26 PM
Online Now!

I have P2014, P11 and P12 on the same computer. No issues wuth performance on same desktop that I can detect. Not sure why the perceived notion that systems that run P11 can't run PP12.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2022 at 12:27 PM

Same situation here.  I have coexisting versions on an older computer and haven't had too many problems.  If you really have no basis, your comment can be misconstrued and individuals refrain from test-driving the 21-day promotional version.  Please don't make it the root of misinformation.

emjay247 ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2022 at 1:40 PM

Please, let's get back on topic.

This thread is about the benefits of making POSER 11, software that Smith Micro and others developed, and Bondware bought, rebranded and optimized for connection to renderosity.com, the be FREE with ACTIVE email (phone home registration).

There MUST be a benefit to Bondware for this proposal to succeed. Connection to their content publishing house makes complete sense and benefits the user with easy installation. Not everyone knows what a runtime is, especially a new user.

How about free with active email registration? $52 for the content. 

How about free with purchase of L' Homme and / or La Femme Pro?

Remember, no one went out and bought their own crayons when they first learned to draw.

In my case it was Smith Micro Manga Studio that brought me to this forum and my first encounter with any of this 3d rendering and marketplace. Otherwise, I would have had 0% interest to begin with. Content keeps me a Daz Customer, blender makes it unwise not to be a customer. The tool sets and mac compatibility are what keep me a bondware customer.

Thanks everyone!

Richard60 ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2022 at 9:15 PM
Online Now!

I can see both sides of the argument for and against making Poser 11 free.  On the one hand you don't want to make people who purchased it mad about it now being free, On the other hand it would give a bunch of people another free program to use.  Since they probably won't remove the serial number activation then for the Free version all you get is the program and the small amount of content it contains.  Also, they could issue serial numbers that WILL NOT count towards a discount for Poser 12 or 13, those that did purchase Poser 11 get whatever the normal discount will be.  Since the program comes with La Femme it would be natural for people to have to come to Renderosity to get more content and increase sales.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2022 at 9:42 PM

You can win your own personalized copy of Poser 12 along with other prizes for FREE: https://www.renderosity.com/contests

There's an upcoming 3D holiday contest... how bad do you want Poser 12, enough to enter the contest?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 17 November 2022 at 11:04 PM
Afrodite-Ohki posted at 5:40 AM Thu, 17 November 2022 - #4449429

Bondware was not a software developer before Poser came into their hands

Wellll... they were, sort of.  Bondware, if you recall, was a software platform for site and forum based places.  IIRC, Rotica used to use the Bondware platform.  Then again, it's always been a bit manky, so there's that.  Even now, Rendo is a bit... idiosyncratic, to be polite.  :D

My Store

My Gallery

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2022 at 3:48 AM
RedPhantom posted at 12:00 PM Thu, 17 November 2022 - #4449446
A_Sunbeam posted at 11:53 AM Thu, 17 November 2022 - #4449445

I'm not sure why you can't use Poser 12 on the same computer as Poser 11. I did and it was a 10-year-old computer. I'm not saying things aren't nicer on a newer machine, but it is doable.
I need to upgrade to Big Sur etc - but after many attempts I haven't been able to get it. I'll try again, Poser 12 won't run on Mojave, which is my current OS. The most recent OS will not run on this iMac.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2022 at 5:48 AM
SamTherapy posted at 11:04 PM Thu, 17 November 2022 - #4449481

Bondware, if you recall, was a software platform for site and forum based places.  IIRC, Rotica used to use the Bondware platform.  Then again, it's always been a bit manky, so there's that.  Even now, Rendo is a bit... idiosyncratic, to be polite.  :D

Website platforms are not even close to full standalone software.

- - - - - - 

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2022 at 7:21 AM

I didn't say they were.  You edited out my first bit, which says, "Wellll... they were, sort of.", with the "sort of" part providing context.  Does it compare to writing a graphics app?  Nope.  But it's not as big a leap as, for example, if Budweiser or Coca Cola were to suddenly start making 3D stuff.

My Store

My Gallery

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2022 at 1:34 PM

I just cut out the part of the quote that I didn't think was pertinent to what I said, but I guess it was :) my bad. In any case, it's not a complete change, but still a big leap, and they're adapting. And yes, these things can take more than years, unlike what some of the regular complainers here might say.

- - - - - - 

ssgbryan ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2022 at 8:20 PM

A_Sunbeam posted at 3:48 AM Fri, 18 November 2022 - #4449498

I need to upgrade to Big Sur etc - but after many attempts I haven't been able to get it. I'll try again, Poser 12 won't run on Mojave, which is my current OS. The most recent OS will not run on this iMac.
There is your problem.  Apple is leaving the PC realm and moving back to the bad old days of a walled garden, with very little software available to it.

Your choices are pretty simple - move to Apple Silicon (good luck with that), or move to a PC.

Move to the dark side - we have both cookies and performance (for a fraction of the price of the mac).  It isn't until after you leave that you really understand how much performance you gave up.  I am still kicking myself for not leaving in 2017, instead of waiting on Timmy & Sir I don't understand the laws of thermodynamics to deliver a replacement for the 5,1 Mac Pro.

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Mon, 21 November 2022 at 1:29 AM
ssgbryan posted at 8:20 PM Sat, 19 November 2022 - #4449622

There is your problem.  Apple is leaving the PC realm and moving back to the bad old days of a walled garden, with very little software available to it.

Your choices are pretty simple - move to Apple Silicon (good luck with that), or move to a PC.

Move to the dark side - we have both cookies and performance (for a fraction of the price of the mac).  It isn't until after you leave that you really understand how much performance you gave up.  I am still kicking myself for not leaving in 2017, instead of waiting on Timmy & Sir I don't understand the laws of thermodynamics to deliver a replacement for the 5,1 Mac Pro.

Thanks for the reply. I've only had Macs at home (from 1997). I used windows at work until I retired in 2004, and never really liked it. What I finally do may well be dictated more by financial restraints than by preferences ...

I've finally managed to load Big Sur on the iMac, so now the question is - do I get Poser 12, or wait for Poser 13?

poser 12 looks unfinished to me, so maybe I'll wait.

emjay247 ( ) posted Thu, 24 November 2022 at 11:14 AM

Thanks again for following this thread regarding POSER 11, a fully functional means to import products that are only made for DS, and covert them for use in POSER without the need for purchased python 3 scripts.

This Black Friday holiday reminds me of my purchase last year of @Ohki's wonderful bodysuits for LaFemme and L'Homme.

I was a little disappointed when I saw them given away for free a few weeks later for another promotion, but then another thought occurred to me, that I purchased this item for a specific reason. The usage rights as a merchant resource.

I imagined everyone else who may have downloaded this limited time freebie and hoped that it might spawn a new user into this poser ecosystem. And then I was grateful.

Thanks!

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 24 November 2022 at 7:00 PM

I'm already annoyed that Bondware killed Poser Pro Game Dev, giving me a free upgrade to Poser 11; but I had already previously purchased Poser 11!  I liked PP Game Dev better, so I now have two licenses to a program I don't use, and since the program I liked no longer works, I now mostly hold my nose and use DAZ Studio...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2022 at 5:56 AM · edited Fri, 25 November 2022 at 6:00 AM
ssgbryan posted at 8:20 PM Sat, 19 November 2022 - #4449622

Apple was never a "walled" garden. In fact, many of the programs that we still use today like Photoshop and even Poser itself were initially made with the Mac in mind. However, overtime, and as Windows improved, programs that were once made for the Mac, migrated over the PC side. Truthfully, having tried my hand at programming for the Mac in my early days, I can understand why.

I had to eventually migrate over myself, but it wasn't due to a shortage of programs for the Mac. It was a number of things really, but mostly Apple's constant "upgrading" of the MacOS. I couldn't keep up.

prixat ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2022 at 1:59 AM

Does Bondware have access to the older versions of Poser?

Having one of those as a free teaser is a tried and tested way of doing things.

I got Poser Debut during one of it's 'available for free for a limited time' offers.

regards
prixat

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2022 at 5:01 AM

Hazard of subscription software: Pantone colours and Adobe subscription software. It's not exactly off topic but enough that if you don't know what I'm talking about you don't do professional grade publication. Look it up.

What possible use is having a free version of depreciated software that has been completely rewritten to enter the modern world? Outdated rendering engines, outdated Python which is a big deal to any Poser user, no modern figure access. The list goes on. What possible advantages are there to enforcing the practices that Poser has moved away from? No not a typo. I mean enforcing.

The normal pricing of Poser is not such that the bank will break and food for the young ones is left off the dining table. I see folks spending that much on content each month. Buy a "bundle" package from DAZ and you are not getting away for under $100. On a sale. The complaint about an unknown upgrade price, when the previous upgrade was half the sale price of a figure bundle is just bait.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.