Tue, Oct 1, 2:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 7:03 pm)

Subject: My Poser has a "virus" named addonData, and how do I get rid of this?

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2024 at 4:45 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 2:31 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

For years now, I have been stripping from my pz3 files a junk line that gets tacked on to the end of the file, and Poser keeps adding it back.  I cannot figure out where it is coming from, at this point.

The line is "addonData  {"org.snarlygribbly.subdivider": {"preset":[]}}

I tried Snarly's subdivider ONE TIME, years ago, on a different computer, and it is no longer installed anywhere that I can find.  But stupid, dumb Poser thinks this garbage line is important enough to keep passing it along from one pz3 to the next, generation after generation, stretching back to 2012 or 13.

It's driving me bonkers.  Well, more bonkers.  It's even worse than the same problem I had with an animation layer somehow associated with Simon.  Who is Simon, again?  I never knowingly loaded a Simon, but I maybe once loaded a pose for Simon onto an Antonia, and whammo!  Then I had a pose layer virus.

Okay, focus.  Stay on topic.  Does anyone know how to obliterate this addonData nonsense from my installation?  It's enough to make a person check the "Violence" flag.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2024 at 4:58 PM

Simon was the male counterpart to Sydney, if I recall correctly.  G2 males and females, Poser 7 era.

DeeceyArt ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2024 at 5:11 PM

As far as your other question, I don't have a clue as I've never run into it. Wish I could help there.

Sunfire ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2024 at 6:00 PM
Online Now!

By any chance do you use existing preferences, or hand port over the preferences from previous builds?

Sunfire's Creations

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2024 at 7:16 PM

Is this something from preferences?  I never thought to dig around in there.  I have, in fact, been copying entire runtimes over from previous builds.  While I know there is no copy of Snarly's subdivider installed anywhere in any runtime, the runtimes themselves can trace their lineage back to the days when I did once use that addon, and probably before.

See, Deecey, I don't remember Sydney.  Dang.  Bits are falling out all over the place.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2024 at 7:41 PM
Online Now!

Simon and Sydney and James and Jessi G2, yes, Poser 7 era.

As to your addon data issue--put in a ticket if no one was able to help you otherwise?

Sunfire ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2024 at 8:25 PM
Online Now!

Cage posted at 7:16 PM Mon, 19 August 2024 - #4488553

Is this something from preferences?  I never thought to dig around in there.  I have, in fact, been copying entire runtimes over from previous builds.  While I know there is no copy of Snarly's subdivider installed anywhere in any runtime, the runtimes themselves can trace their lineage back to the days when I did once use that addon, and probably before.

When you install newer versions of the program, for instance upgrading from an older version of Poser 13 to the current version, do you tell the installer to use the existing preferences.

In short when you install a new poser do you have to reconnect your runtimes, or is it all there already?

Sunfire's Creations

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2024 at 8:52 PM

Ah.  I haven't installed a new version of Poser since I was a beta tester, at the tail end of the Smith Micro era.  I have installed Poser Pro 2014 onto the newer device, but I do that with a fresh install, mainly to set things up in the registry, after which I overwrite everything by copying over my preexisting installation and runtimes.  I am still on Windows 7, as well, with a device no longer allowed to touch the internet.

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2024 at 8:59 PM

Ah, I missed Rhia.  I don't think a ticket would help anything, as no one is going to update Poser Pro 2014.  I no longer fit the parameters for using newer versions of Poser.

Sunfire ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2024 at 9:15 PM
Online Now!
Cage posted at 8:52 PM Mon, 19 August 2024 - #4488558

Ah.  I haven't installed a new version of Poser since I was a beta tester, at the tail end of the Smith Micro era.  I have installed Poser Pro 2014 onto the newer device, but I do that with a fresh install, mainly to set things up in the registry, after which I overwrite everything by copying over my preexisting installation and runtimes.  I am still on Windows 7, as well, with a device no longer allowed to touch the internet.

I would suggest only copying over the runtimes and not the rest of the installations. You will have to reload your runtimes beyond the defaults in PP2014, but it should clear out any remnants of Snarly's script that might still be in your preferences.

Sunfire's Creations

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2024 at 6:08 AM

You should take a look at this page:

https://www.posersoftware.com/documentation/13/index.htm?t=Poser_Reference_Manual%2FOnline_Cover_Page.htm#t=Poser_Reference_Manual%2FOtherApps%2FPoserPython%2FPoser_Python_Addons.htm&rhsearch=erc

Even though it's for the most recent Poser version, some Python classes exist since V9 if not sooner. One of them let any script do something at file saving time.
Maybe it's not related to your problem, but when all "standard" ideas have been checked and nothing found, the response could hide somewhere else.

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2024 at 10:36 AM

Interesting.  The documentation would seem to suggest that my problem is actually that this absent addon that is not installed is still somehow running every time I open Poser and is saving its preferences on a per-scene basis, when I save.  I do feel justified in kvetching that addons seem like they may not have been implemented as robustly as they might have been.  But Sunfire is correct, in that I have been doing things sideways and backwards and not meeting the programmers' expectations for maintaining a clean installation.

All of this give me some hints about how to dig around for this.  Thank you, all.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2024 at 3:00 PM

Another possibility - you did run the snarlygribbly addon one time, and it prepared its data. You then made that scene your "default" empty scene and you've been reloading it every day for years, and every scene you create starts with that addon data already loaded. No need for any script to be executed anymore.

Poser offered this new ability to incorporate automatically attached info into a scene quite a while back. 

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2024 at 3:23 PM

That's the assumption I've had, BB, yes.  It has had me deleting the line from all my pz3 files, including my default scenes.  I made a fresh round of such edits a day or two ago, yet the line mysteriously returned, which prompted this thread.

My process has involved deleting the line from any pz3 I am likely to use, then saving the changes.  Then, when using Poser, if I open any uncorrected scene I close and reopen Poser afterwards, to avoid contaminating the cleaned files.

Did they offer an off switch for this feature?  On account of I could use one, oh boy.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2024 at 3:44 PM

Just thinking out loud here - reviewing assumptions.

You've manually removed the line from pz3 files. Something is adding them back. My assumption is that only snarly's python code would make data with that name. But you assert that subdivider is "no longer installed anywhere that I can find".

Is it correct to assume ONLY subdivider makes that data or could it possibly be that snarly made a common library and accidentally adds that data to the scene no matter what app you're using from him. Do you still have other apps by snarly in a runtime? You don't even have to use them - if they're there they will run their init code.

And - just to cover all the bases - are you absolutely sure the subdivider is not installed anywhere, in any loaded runtime? Because if it is, well there's the problem.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2024 at 3:49 PM

From the main menu

Window->Addons->

What shows up in the flyout? I only have "Python Shell". Supposedly all addons show up there.

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2024 at 4:13 PM · edited Tue, 20 August 2024 at 4:21 PM

I have Python/addons/PythonShell, with poseraddon.py also in addons.  I also have a copy of EZMat, in addons.  That was a Snarly project, IIRC.  I'm going to zip up that folder and delete the original.  Now, some savetests.

[EDIT]

I see, you wanted me to check the pulldown menus. I did have Subdivider showing up in the menu! I dug through the folders and there was a copy of Subdivider in the PoserPro2012 installation. Why did I not find it yesterday? Bits are falling out all over the place. Dang.

Removing the 2012 addon cleared the 2014 problem. So apparently addons are loaded across versions, when the runtimes are linked. It's a helluva thing.

This has driven me nuts, and hopefully now it is fixed. Thank you, folks, for tolerating my bumbleheadedness.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2024 at 4:20 PM

You seem to be talking about folders. I was asking about menu items. 

My worry is there's an addon in a runtime folder you have not realized exists.

So better to verify what addons were loaded by looking in the Window -> Addons menu.

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2024 at 4:23 PM

Oop.  I didn't refresh the page like a should've.  I realized my mistake, BB.  Thank you.  This has helped a lot.  I did not know that addons could bedevil me across Poser versions, but now I do.  Dang.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.