Fri, Sep 20, 6:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: game engin

micca ( ) posted Sun, 24 March 2002 at 10:08 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:44 AM

is there a game engin that can use poser modles and animation

markdotcom ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 12:06 AM

Attached Link: http://rm2k.phantomrpg.com/

I'm playing around with a program called RPG Maker 2K. Before you get too excited, RM2K is VERY VERY basic. We're talking Nintendo-esque graphics... BUT you can make custom graphics for EVERYTHING. I am working on a project with this program and have managed to improve the graphics somewhat. I'm doing all the location/set graphics in Bryce and the characters are designed and rendered in Poser, then converted to a usable format for RM2K. So you CAN use Poser graphics with this, but it's strictly for RPG games, and you're in for a lot of work with converting the images and learning the different features of the engine, etc. In the end, it still looks like an old console game, but you don't have to program anything. You're probably looking for something 3D/FPS related... the RM2K community may be able to help with finding something. I know Quake and SWAT 3 use 3DS models, so you may want to look into learning that program if you want to do game models.

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 12:21 AM

I'm affraid not. I had the same idea when I begun playing with Poser. Some game engine use 3DSmax Character studio figures as base figures but all of them - all of them I know - transform those figures to custom lowres model (i.e. half life). It would be the same with Poser models. Now if you've got enough programming skill you can do your own converter. There's an Half life or Quake open source SDK to do this but there are serious other open source 3D engines - like Genesis 3D to do so. Some guys in the forum are doing RPG games they probably went further in that way. The key is that all game engines use lowres figures so he thing you've got to remind is that in order to animate Poser figures in a game you won't be able to play with P4 but rather with P2 lowres characters. As you've got to create the figures and the converter the whole is a lot of work. But maybe with the PPP exporters is there an easy way to convert to a 3D format which in turn is supported by one of those game engine. For further informations: http://www.planetquake.com/ http://www.gamedev.net/ Yarp

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

micca ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 7:15 AM

thank you boath i appreciate the info

fantombe ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 7:37 AM

Attached Link: http://www.3drad.com

Check out 3DRad. There's a free version to check it out see if you like it or not.

You'll need to export your poser models, and you might find they're a bit hi-res for a game (speed and other inherant complications that might crop up), but like I said, there's a free version, so gotta be worth a look!

Good Luck! - Anthony

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 8:58 AM

You can always export Poser figures into any game, with the right tools (start with Milkshape - it's free, and works with damned near every FPS game alive.) The biggest thing is that Poser has an ungodly high polycount per character for gaming... your best bet for exporting Poser characters into a 3D game engine would be to use the low-poly characters (by either PhilC or Nerd, I forget whom... I'll look 'em up today.) Even then, games out now (Quake3, Unreal Tournament, etc.) can only handle 1100 polys or so per person. Return To Castle Wolfenstein I think can handle a few more, something like 2,000 or so. Unreal2, due out sometime this year, can deal with 3500 per, and has cutscenes with 10k poly characters. Good luck otherwise, man :) /P

Mason ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 1:02 PM

You don't wnat to use Poser characters in a game. They are too huge. Plus games won't handle the 4k by 4k textures that poser figures may use. If you did make a game you'd need very low poly count figures. 1000 polys is a pretty decent character in a game environment. That amount is too high for a Quake, Unreal or Tribes style game. There is a Genesis 3D game system out at Comp USA. Its the older version of Wild Tangent's engine. You could also use Wild Tangent's engine but its a royalty thing. The bottom line is poser figures by themselves are just not viable in a real time game. Now using them to make sprite renders is another thing. Then you could make Diablo style games with it by rendering each frame of animation.

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 1:25 PM

Mason is right. The best way to use poser figures in games is either as sprite renders or in a Myst style game as animations. Poser figures are just way too high poly to use in real time 3D games.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 1:41 PM

You could pull it off in Unreal2 or even barely in RTCW, but as I 'splained earlier, Q3 and UT are stuck at about 1100 polys (check out http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/ for some of the models there and how many polys they eat... ) /P

micca ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 2:18 PM

thankyou all i am new to this and my target is a ff7 type rpg

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 5:15 PM

Attached Link: http://www.conitec.net/a4info.htm

3D Game Studio is a pretty cool game engine, and there are a few different price ranges available. I think you can also find a version of it in Macmillan's "Game Programming Starter Kit."

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 26 March 2002 at 5:01 AM

You should be able create games with Shockwave3D using the Poser low-poly characters.

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 26 March 2002 at 5:01 AM

You should be able create games with Shockwave3D using the Poser low-poly characters.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.