Wed, Sep 25, 7:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Object file from Max to Poser ( via Cr2 file )

omega ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 3:10 AM ยท edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 5:35 AM

file_5476.jpg

Perhaps someone can tell me what is going on here. I modified a model in Max and brought into poser via a cr2 file and found the right shin to be destorted. went back checked the obj file - no problem!. It only destorts when called in to poser by the CR2 file. checked joints - distortion still ther when figure zeroed in joint editor ( with IK off ) I can work around it but I would like to know why Any Ideas ????

omega ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 3:15 AM

file_5477.jpg

Just to pre-empt some queries, I imported the obj file into poser - no distortions. Here is obj file in Max

6Dprime ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 11:50 AM

Looks like rounding error.

omega ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 6:51 PM

What is a rounding error ??

6Dprime ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 7:01 PM

Oh, sorry.

If the actual data was 1.2345678, and you went through some pathway that reduced the precision, like to 1.234, you'd see that kind of behavior.

I suggest that because:

1. The points in the mesh are not very far off from where they should be (they're not in Tokyo), and

2. If it is rounding error, you might think twice about using that method again, and uselessly losing that precision.

FYI - The term is mostly geek programmer talk. For an item of interest (if it is), people used to steal millions from the banks by rounding calculations down to the nearest cent, then collecting the pieces of pennies. So, now most financial institutions have "pieces-of-pennies buckets" in their software. I wrote a lot of that kind of code back in the day.

Maz ( ) posted Fri, 14 June 2002 at 4:45 AM

I can't believe it's a rounding error. Rounding errors shouldn't make just one or two vertices wrong. Can you describe the step-by-step process you went through in getting the modification from Max to Poser?

6Dprime ( ) posted Sat, 15 June 2002 at 5:18 PM

If you notice, this actually affects a large percentage of the vertices in the first picture. Note specifically the cross-sections of each lower-shin area.

Maz ( ) posted Sat, 15 June 2002 at 5:32 PM

Hmmmm, I see your point, but I'm still not convinced (not that I have any alternative hypothesis I'm afraid). If it is a rounding error, what is producing it? The same question applies whatever type of error it is. Since omega says the obj file is correct when imported back into Max it looks like the error is actually in Poser. Sounds like one to report to Curious labs.

Jaqui ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2002 at 1:22 AM

try deleting the cr2 and importing the obj again as an obj, then adding to library and then , shuitting poser down first, pulling in from cr2. if no error then was simply a corrupted cr2. will have to add the ik data to be able to pose the model, but then you can c&p from original models cr2 the mesh change you made might cause this with the cr2. it shouldn't but it is possible.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.