Fri, Sep 20, 3:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Confirm probs on MacOSX Vue 4.1

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 8:27 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:35 AM

The same problems are happening to me too. When the import dialog comes up I look for a pz3 file - it finds it fine, but then it wants to see the poser app - when I locate the poser app and click ok it acts as if the app does not exist and keeps looking. It should be able to find my installed copy of poser4 pro pack and it does not. The same happens for an installed copy of plain old Poser4 as well. ****** I noticed in the dialog Vue thinks Poser4 is a document and not an app - this may be the bug. ****** Also it should be able to find the pzz files that propack generates (compressed) but it can only find pz3 files. This should be fixed to allow for the pro pack. The multi-color fix for OSX file dialogs is not cosmetic, without the fix it is very difficult to read. I see nothing different in the skies as well. I still spend hours trying to get lightrays in volumetric skies (to no avail). Please fix the Poser bugs : ) thanks. Scott

PAGZone ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 8:37 PM

I can say that the multi colored dialog bug is there too for me. However this is a known OS X issue. what I find hard to accept is that eon will not fix it and blame Apple. why is it that other developers have worked around this bug? I too would like to see these bugs addresed. I can understand your frustration, as you felt like you spent good money on an application based on features and functions that do not work. All I can say is eon will take care of their customers, we just need to be patient... Regards, -paul

PAGZone ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2002 at 12:41 AM

And just to add, I too get the same problem trying to load a Poser scene. It does not work. I choose the Poser 4 app and it asks me to choose it again, over and over and over...... Paul

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2002 at 1:43 AM

Yep and I am sure you were hoping 4.1 would finally fix things on the Mac like the rest of us... All I really wanted was the poser fix and it doesn't work at all - this is frustrating. Please fix these things Eon. Scott

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2002 at 1:48 AM

I don't know with MAC, but there is an important thing to know with PC (maybe Mac too?): Poser has to be closed before you import a PZ3 file into Vue. Otherwise you always will get an error message or somethink like "you need to have Poser on your machine" or "please locate Poser"... Guitta

wabe ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2002 at 10:18 AM

I am working on a Mac as well. Suprisely enough, the Poser import works here. Indeed, Vue recognises Poser as a document but that has not caused any problem. Probably Guitta is right, you have to close Poser before locating it. But the main reason why i am writing this is that i agree totally with Paul. It is very strange that all other software developers in the world are able to avoid the multi colored dialog boxes and the only ones which cant are the developers of Vue. Hmmm! I had a really hard afternoon to identify files written in very strange colors. Very difficult! One other question. My Vue always crashes when i try to save scenes ore images somewhere else than in the standard locations. Does anybody else have this problem too? Walther

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2002 at 11:46 AM

Gebe and Walther - Poser is NOT running when I get the error. I double-checked just now and Poser is definitely not running when I search the pz3 file. Walther, do you have Poser4 or the Poser4 pro Pack? Which version number works for you too? I am running the 4.2.1.171 version of the pro pack. Maybe I just need the most recent upgrade to poser for it to work. Please let me know your version number and Poser4 base application on the Mac. thanks, Scott

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2002 at 2:49 PM

Hi, same problem for me, too. Poser 4.0.3 and newest version of Vue. Already contacted E-On. Hopefully they have a workaround. I'm really diappointed after all. I don't understand why E-On releases a press announcement and we still have the same problems as before.... I'm really curious what their statement will look like. The most frustrating thing is the fact that the scenery for my next image is ready in Vue and the Poser figures are ready , too. So they just have to be put together. E-On please help!!! Phil

PAGZone ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2002 at 11:53 PM

Same here, Poser is not open. As for crashing when saving, I don't experience that one. I can save to wherever, no problem. -Paul

wabe ( ) posted Thu, 18 July 2002 at 12:46 AM

file_16580.jpg

Hi Scott, i am using PoserPro - i have enclosed a screenshot about the general info about the app. What surprises me, that the date of the last change of the application is set to the moment i tried out the pz3 import from Vue the first time. Have you restarted your system before you tried that. Maybe it is (or has to do with) a memory problem. Or that the system is in a strange mode - what happens here after a while of using Vue. If you need more help (in form of testing things out) let me know. Walther

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Thu, 18 July 2002 at 3:17 AM

Hi, I did some testing yesterday evening, but still no satifying results with the Poser Import on OSX... Here's what I did: Installed a Poser without any addons on my OSX partition. The installation with all models in it remained on my regular 3D purpose partition. Afterwards I opened Vue and tried to import the figure which was generated with the 3D partition version of Poser. Vue started to import, but after finishing the import the figure was invisible (!). Vue said there was a figure but you couldn't even see the box around the object. So I'm asking myself, what's going on? I'm using the German version of Poser4 (4.0.3), but I can't believe that might cause the problem. Another "funny thing" I found out was the fact that the newly installed version of Poser starts within the classic environment of OSX. But as soon as you ad any stuff -no matter if it would be characters, props or poses- Poser refuses to start. You have to reboot within the classic environment to get Poser back to work. Walther, if you read this: Could you provide us other desperate Mac users with further details how you managed the import. Are Vue and Poser within the same partition? Are they on the same partition like any of you system folders (OSX or Classic)? Do you save the figures you wnat to import on the same partition? Please excuse my curiousity, but at last I want to have the same features/possibilities like the PC users of Vue have. And you seem to be a really lucky guy since you got this thing working. ;o) Many thanks, Phil

wabe ( ) posted Thu, 18 July 2002 at 4:42 AM

file_16581.jpg

Hi, no problem to give you more details. Mac OS X 10.1.5, Classic environment 9.2.2 both german verisons. One partition with System(s) plus Vue (4.1) and PoserPro (actual ENGLISH version - maybe that is the difference) on them. One external disc (FireWire). I saved my Poser models (in the first time a prop only, today a figure as well) on the external disc and imported them from there. To be shure that the success from yesterday was not only a single luck i tried it again today. To improve this (and to make you a little curious) i add the quick and dirty rendering here as well. Hope you can sort out the problem. If i can help you in any wy, please contact me again. No problem. Walther

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Thu, 18 July 2002 at 8:05 AM

Oooops, that might be a problem for me to manage since I don't have enough space left on my OSX partition to install the classic environment, Poser AND Vue. Walther, did you ever try to open a "more detailed" figure. In your example you used the ordinary Poser dude. The figures I like to import are much more detailed and use several props. If you wnat to know what I'm talking about please have a look at my gallery - especially the two images called "The Rescue - WIP". Steve, if you're reading this thread, please provide us Mac users with a workaround/hint how we could fix these problems. Many thanks, Phil

wabe ( ) posted Thu, 18 July 2002 at 10:05 AM

file_16582.jpg

Phil, "more detailed" is a very relative term. In your case if you think complexity is the problem i would try it first with a very simple example. But now i tried it with "new eve + a new clothing". No problem as you can see. Forgive me the stupid layout of the picture, result was the main thing here, not sophisticated design. Walther

PAGZone ( ) posted Thu, 18 July 2002 at 12:57 PM

Ok e-on got back to me. The fix for part of the problem, is to reinstall Poser4 under Classic. If you had poser installed before you installed OSX like I did, it won't work. Now the figure imports but I get an error when trying to read the bump map, as Vue says it is an unrecognized file type: bum. Arrrg. This is extremley irratating. -Paul

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Thu, 18 July 2002 at 4:21 PM

Ok I will try and re-install under Classic and see if that works. I had it installed way before OSX too. That seems like a major hoop to jump through to get it to work though. LOL - a step closer. thanks everyone. talk to you soon. Scott

CDunbar ( ) posted Thu, 18 July 2002 at 10:23 PM

I'm beginning to wonder - if anyone tested this release, with a normal users installed setup ! I have yet to get Poser PZ3 files to load... and will also try the re-install of Poser under Classic (This is an ass-backwards way to use an app) Also I have become very disappointed and very distrubed in the fact that with this release that no documentation has been provided to run thru any of these "work arounds" just to make the program work as advertised. Clark

wabe ( ) posted Fri, 19 July 2002 at 12:43 AM

Why is there any difference for Vue? It is a little hard to understand why Poser does not have any problems (apart from the normal ones) even if its installed before OS X! What does Vue need more than the original application? From time to time it becomes a little obvious that E-on does not have a lot of experience in the Mac field. But anyway, we shouldn't forget that Vue is still a wonderfull application and we all lived well before being able to import original Poser files. Paul, i sometimes have problems with bump maps in Poser too. Sometimes Poser is not able to find the bump maps even if i "point" to them. In the case "bump maps" we should blame Curious Labs more than anybody else why they need a specific file format for bumps, instead of using simple jpgs (or whatever). Walther

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Fri, 19 July 2002 at 2:00 AM

I DID this Poser installation thing and it still DIDN'T work. Look like I have to wait for Poser 5 to arrive. Anyway I don't understand what's going on... Why does is work for only some people?

I'm really disappointed about the fact that e-on releases press announcements about a certain function and then all I get is crap. Sorry for being that rude, but I showed a lot of patience during the last months. If I pay my hardly earned money for a certain product i can exspect that it should have the features that are announced, am I right or not?!?

You know, if you buy a car which is said to run 140 mph topspeed and finally it's only 50mph you get angry as well, fo you?

I would be more happier if e-on gives a statement on that issue. I already contacted them through there website, but no reply until now...

Phil

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Fri, 19 July 2002 at 1:04 PM

Ok - I did the Poser4 install under Classic on my iBook and it worked. I was able to open the poser dork and all his textures showed up. I won't show you the lame render - it was just a test... LOL. But this is VERY LAME. My real poser pro4 install is over 700megs and it has a lot of custom stuff I created - I don't want to have to 're-install all of that' under Classic on my main render machine. That would require a re-install of Poser4, The pro pack, and 3 patches just to get the base application back. Then I need to bring all my custom stuff across. This re-install under Classic workaround is totally LAME and it not something I would expect of my loyal customers if I were you Eon. Please treat us better than that and fix this thing so it can find our currently installed Poser apps WHERE EVER they are. Poser is currently only a Classic app, but that also means OS9x - not just Classic. Right now I can run Poser from a firewire drive connected to my main box, why can't Vue find this copy of Poser ? You don't see PC users saying the app is not found - Vue magically finds Poser anywhere it resides (as it should). I agree with everyone here. If your goal was to get Mac users you have our attention and we see a lot of potential in this app. The skies alone are incredible. But please give us something we can work with without jumping through hoops. It is amazing to have a Poser file show up in a 3d app with all its textures intact - but please do it right. Your press realese says this feature is available now to Mac users. Most of the Mac users on this thread alone would heavily disagree with you. Please fix this and make it so. thanks, Scott

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Fri, 19 July 2002 at 1:24 PM

Right on, Scott! I totally agree with your last post!!! Phil

e-on ( ) posted Fri, 19 July 2002 at 6:25 PM

Attached Link: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Download/Updates/Vue4.1PoserFix.sit

We're sorry to hear the problems some of you are experiencing with the direct Poser 4 imports. Please realize that a lot is going on in the background to enable communications between an OS 9 and a native OS X application. I know such things may seem obvious, but they are not as simple as you could think.

Anyhow, we have a partial fix for this problem, so if you want to give it a try, please download the following file, unstuff it and replace your Vue 4 application with it. Make sure you backup your files before doing so. Please do not attempt to install this fix if you don't feel comfortable with manipulating application files under OS X.

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Download/Updates/Vue4.1PoserFix.sit (Mac only)

Let me know how it goes.
Regards, Steve.

CDunbar ( ) posted Fri, 19 July 2002 at 7:07 PM

thank you Steve, for the prompt response ! Will be running tests over the weekend. Clark

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Sat, 20 July 2002 at 12:05 AM

Thanks for listening Steve - downloading it now. Fingers crossed : ) Scott

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Sat, 20 July 2002 at 6:25 AM

Steve, many thanks for your help. It's good to know that you're listening to our complaints. I donwloaded the file and will give it a trial over the weekend. I'll let you know about the results whatever they may be. ;o) Thanks, Phil

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.