Fri, Jul 19, 7:56 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 26 1:13 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Why? Why? Why?...

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 5:11 AM · edited Fri, 19 July 2024 at 3:50 AM

file_27573.jpg

After looking at the gorgeous urn Vile rendered, I'm even more fustrated with this vase I've been trying to put a delft floral on. Please HELP! What am I doing wrong? The texture wraps correctly on the sphere, but not on the vases, it keeps elongating at the curves...:(

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 5:22 AM

I'm no expert, but you have to try different mappings at the material lab. There's a tiny triangle below the texture panels (if I remember correctly) that is a menu. There are many different mapping options. I don't know if the cilindrical would be the best. Maybe you should experiment a little. HTH

My crafts - My Freebies - My Store - Delightful Arts

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 5:23 AM

Thanks, I'll try it...:)

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 5:30 AM

Try sinusoidal mode.

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 5:38 AM

Okay, okay, duh...(waving hands along side of head), had a blonde moment, forgot vases are cylindrical basically, changed the setting, works fine...:)

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 5:41 AM

file_27574.jpg

This look better?

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 5:43 AM

BTW, hope to put some traditional floral textures up for download...:)

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 6:08 AM

I'm glad it worked. BTW, that's a really nice texture. Do you make them yourself? If so, how? (If you're willing to share your technique, of course).

cshaftoe ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 7:14 AM

Apart from the obvious beauty of the vases I love the simplicity of the background and 'table'...VGW The Bryster

Colette1 ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 11:03 AM

These are very nice. Are you willing to share your technique?

lsstrout ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 12:56 PM

Before I read your post, I thought the original vases were meant to be some funky form of marble. That floral texture is very nice and looks great on that vase. Have you tried it on any other objects yet? Lin

bikermouse ( ) posted Wed, 16 October 2002 at 5:36 PM

zhann, Much better! can you scale it vertically so that the texture stays between the base and the lip of the vase? Other than that it looks perfect. - TJ

Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2002 at 12:28 AM

The technique is simple, awhile back I did some pencil sketches of traditional floral patterns to use on a client's dresser I was handpainting. I was looking at some of my acrylic still life's and thought why not use floral textures on my Bryce vases...I dug up the sketches, spruced them up in psp, changed the color balance, and voila! Delft vases! Zhann

Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2002 at 12:31 AM

Oh, and thank you all for the compliments, and bikermouse it does, it's just on a reflective table/background, if that's what you mean...=> Zhann

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2002 at 2:18 AM

Thanks for sharing, Zhann. It looks that you're a nice painter, then!

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2002 at 9:46 AM

file_27575.jpg

Zhann, I was talking about the placement of the texture map on the object. Having tried it for myself, (I just used a stock boolean object, and an old texture I had laying around), I can see the overlap in my own render. The solution as I see it would to be to give the painting/texture map a a larger border of white(or whatever the invisable mask color is), so that you can place it on the object better) and thus be able to fiddle around with the Y offset and scale.
  • TJ

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2002 at 11:27 AM

file_27576.jpg

Like so.

good rendering,
-TJ

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2002 at 2:06 PM

file_27577.jpg

The two thumbnails show the relative 'white space' used for the two versions of the vase texture (in real life the two sages are the same size and only the relative amount of white space and the total size of the image has changed.) - All settings are exactly the same.

Looking at the one with the most white space somehow reminds me of a uvmapper texture file.

• TJ

Zhann ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2002 at 7:36 PM

Hmmm....well, I'm not sure, I still don't know how Bryce figures texture placement on an object. What if you wanted and allover pattern? Extra white (or whatever color) wouldn't do...the texture above was duped and seamed so it would be bigger, that's what you see on the side, I'm working on making them seamless...your first example I like alot, the second would be good for say, a medallion on the vase...

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 18 October 2002 at 9:05 AM

Zhann, Then just place the white in the vertical direction, so you would have control on overlap. fine adjust tn the texture editor- in your texture box that comes up when you select an attributr such as ambient, the upper left button gives you access to scale, offset and rotation. I thought of an experiment you could try. If you can export your vase as an object, you could map it in uvmapper and see if the map that uvmapper creates works correctly as a bryce texture. The mapping modes would probably have to be the same, but the time you spent with it could be well worth it to gain mastery over the placement of textures in bryce objects. I'd try this one myself but I can only export as obp (another limitation of B3.1). anyrate good luck with the seamless thing, -TJ

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2002 at 3:14 AM

Thanks, I might try that, I just dl uvmapper recently... Zhann

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.