Mon, Sep 9, 7:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: NEED HELP re: POSER DOWNLOADING/LIBRARIES

madkat ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 1:04 AM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 10:37 PM

Man I just want to cry! First, I am frequently getting a "please locate ____" window popping up. For example I am trying to make a figure and it asked for the figure's bump map. I re-examed the zip and it was in there. So, where are these .jpg's supposed to be going? Also, this particular character has stuff scattered around in about 4 different folders. Can I go into my computer like CURIOUS LABS-POSER 5-RUNTIME-LIBRARIES and rename the folders and move things around? ie: CURIOUS LABS-POSER 5-RUNTIME-LIBRARIES-[clothing]-[xxxx]? Will I get into trouble if I move something that was in FIGURES to the PROPS folder? Do I actually have to open up the POSER program and do my changes through it? Any suggestions would be appreciated...the Poser manual is not very helpful for me. Thanks. MADKAT

Hanz ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 1:48 AM

Basically: Any *.obj files go in ../Runtime/Geometries/xxx, where xxx is a rigid folder name that you cannot just change without getting into trouble. You have to create the foldername yourself for most zips... Any .CR2/.PP2 files go to ../Runtime/Libraries/Character/any foldername you wish. The rigidity stops with the 'character'-folder, you see. *.CR2's (and the accompanying .PP2's) go in the character folder in any subfolder you might want. The Poser folder system is very strict: .CR2's are character-files and go in the characterfolder. .HR2's are hair-files and go in the hairfolder. .FC2's are face-files and go in the facefolder. You cannot juggle files around, except for making yourown subfolders in the rigid libraries. Textures and Bumpmaps go to ../Runtime/Textures/Someauthordefinedrigidfoldername and have to be located there as the *.CR2's know where to look for the textures and will complain if they aren't placed where they're supposed to. Basically, you have to follow the foldersystem created by the author of the character/prop/whatever you are using. Most often, authors will include a txt file explaining the file placement. Hope I make just a little sense (Haven't had my coffee yet). -Hanz

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 1:48 AM

Don't move anything or rename it, sometimes it's ok to do this, but sometimes it's not, especially don't move any Victoria 3 stuff! Unfortunatly you have to be somthing of an expert to know what can be safely moved.

geoegress ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 6:12 AM

about bum maps files- ya- they can be annoying-early versions of Poser used the bum extension, later versions changed to jpg because they are much smaller in file size. as long as the xxx.jpg DOES exist where it's suppose to- just click 'cancel' then 'no' to continuse looking for it. usuall poser then finds it. If not go into materials and apply it yourself :) You really shouldn't move things between major folder groups (figures,pose,hair ect...), but the minor subgroups - yes you can consolidate (figures to figures ect. the major except is textures- move all you want in the textures folder. poser will find them :)

Hanz ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 8:26 AM

=> Geoegress, Yes, I guess Poser will find misplaced texturefiles, but it does take its time, too. Besides, why not just place textures where they're supposed to go? -Hanz

geoegress ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 9:18 AM

true :) just trying to ease the frustration of a new user :)

madkat ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 4:11 PM

Okay I think I have the basic idea about not moving files between the major folders. Every in the FIGURES folder stays in that folder, etc. I thought the FIGURES folder contained all characters/figures and the clothing for them. But now I see it also considers some objects to be figures (which I would have moved to props till you guys explained). And any .jpg files that come in the zips need to go under CURIOUS LABS-POSER 5-RUNTIME-MATERIALS or is it TEXTURES? Q Can I go into the FIGURES folder and take the contents of, say, !!ANIMALS and ANIMALS and DAZ ANIMALS and put them all into a folder called ANIMALS? Can I take various MIKE clothing and combine into a single folder? Q2 Also can I take the stuff that is in FIGURES-RUNTIME-LIBRARIES-FIGURES and just have them all in FIGURES? And can I move stuff under DOWNLOADS likewise in the main folders? Q3 I have POSER 5....do POSER 4 models get downloaded into CURIOUS LABS-POSER 5 or POSER 4? Can I use POSER 5 items like props or clothing on a POSER 4 figure? Hope I'm not confusing you. Thanks for the help, you've saved me from getting everything all screwed up. That manual is definitely not for a complete beginner. MADKAT

Hanz ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 4:23 PM

Yes, madkat, you can juggle figurefiles around inside the figures folde, as long as you don't place them outside of that folder. In this way, you can combine all your Mikestuff in a subfolder (that is: sub to the FIGURES folder, right) called MIKE, all your Vicky stuff in a folder called VICKY, all your toon stuff in a folder called TOON etc. If you use Vicky3, however, don't mess with any of the folder structures or she will behave oddly. I don't think I understand question # 2. Question 3: Do you only have Poser5 installed on your 'puter? The reason I ask this: Most of us old users still have both Poser4 (propack in my case) and Poser5 installed. If you manually install models you place them in the Poser5 folder. If you're dealing with an auto-install (like purchases from DAZ), it will search you disk for installments of any Poser program and ask you to which you'd like the item in question to be installed. This stuff is really difficult to explain, and you must have a hard time decyphering what the h*ll I'm talking about ;) -Hanz

madkat ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 4:43 PM

I installed POSER 5. In the PROGRAMS folder in my computer it says CURIOUS LABS-POSER 5 and POSER 4. Q2 is..........some of the stuff I downloaded went in like this: POSER 5-RUNTIME-LIBRARIES-FIGURES-RUNTIME-LIBRARIES-FIGURES and also top arrow takes you to DOWNLOADS which have more figures and I wanted to move them up with the rest of the figures. THANKS again!

Hanz ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 5:10 PM

Q2...Are you saying you have files in ../Poser5/Runtime/Libraries/Figures/Runtime/Libraries/Figures ...? Well, that's one ../Runtime/Libraries/Figures to many :) The correct path should be ../Runtime/Libraries/Figures/Whateversubfolderyou'dwantto*create And yes, all figure-files can go in the Figures folder. Let me give you an advice: It's wise to categorize your figurefiles and place them in relevant and wellnamed subfolders within the Figures folder. Before you know it, you'll have hundreds of figures filling up your harddrive and it'll be a real pain navigating if you haven't made up some logical placement system. So, instead of having one subfolder called 'Daz Clothing', one called 'PoserStyle clothing' and one called 'RDNA clothing', each of which contains conforming clothing pieces for Victoria, I'd make one subfolder called 'CLOTHING' and place all of my different clothing subfolders in there. See, that's my kind of logic, you might come up with something different. -Hanz

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.