Wed, Sep 18, 8:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 1:39 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Happy Pride Day

SeanMartin ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 2:41 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 12:01 AM

file_113958.jpg

Since Gay Pride is celebrated mostly this weekend, here's to one and all: cheers, gang!

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

spinner ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 5:35 PM · edited Thu, 24 June 2004 at 5:39 PM

Here (Oslo) they last from June 18 to June 27th this year :-)(Pride days, I mean - and they're partially funded by the municipality/govt.)

Cheers :-)

~S (edit to clarify "they")

Message edited on: 06/24/2004 17:39

rdonovan ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:06 PM

More power to you, but perhaps you could explain what this has to do with "Renderosity issues such as FAQs, updates, ideas, improvements, events, navigation, feature use, and general site questions" - which (supposedly) is what this forum is for. Who needs an OT forum? Post what you please, where you please appears to be the practice.

spinner ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:21 PM

What's wrong with wishing someone a happy-something-or-other? So, to ensure we stay on topic: Sean ! Your figure isn't bald enough and has no tits. I beg to differ, but I doubt it's art, and I am sure mentioning gay stuff is a ToS violation somewhere, and I suspect that the mesh you are using is UNDER the age of consent ! And I just know that that flag has had a creative brush-in with a healing tool of some kind or other, and that you probably stole it off some Swiss tuber somewhere, so heads up, everybody, copyright violation ! Someone wanna go get Spike ? ~S

rdonovan ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:27 PM · edited Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:33 PM

Nice shootin' Tex - read my post again. It started out with "more power to you." Your reply, on the other hand, reeks of heterophobic "straight-bashing."
"What's wrong with wishing someone a happy something-or-other?" So - if this is the official NRA "Bring Your Gun To School Week" it's all right for me to publicize it here? That's the difference between on- and off-topic.

Message edited on: 06/24/2004 20:33

spinner ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:32 PM

Actually, I am straight myself, bub - and female. Would that just make it generic Yank-bashing ? ~S

rdonovan ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:34 PM

Bub? As I said: "What's wrong with wishing someone a happy something-or-other?" So - if this is the official NRA "Bring Your Gun To School Week" it's all right for me to publicize it here? That's the difference between on- and off-topic. It has nothing to do with sexual preference - just good posting manners.

hmatienzo ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:35 PM

Sean, I know for a FACT that flag is under-aged!!! Shame on you, you little perv! ;-~~~~ -Heike-

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:44 PM

lets keep it civil folks.... Cool image Sean....

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

spinner ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:45 PM

I didnt start on sexual preferences - YOU did, when "hetero bashing " entered the equation. I dont see wishing someone a happy anything to be bad posting manners, I see it as a generic courtesy to those who like to be wished happy something - by the inferred rule you set, the congratulations at the topof the forum have nothing to do on this page. Neither have the tons of Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas posts in this forum - I put happy pride day on an equal footing - its an important event for many, and people want to wish eachother a pleasurable/happy event. That's, if nothing else, community SPIRIT. HMatienzo - Don't you think those glasses have nekkid thumbs on them ? ~S

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:50 PM

Well, since there isn't an "Off Topic" forum any more and this forum is meant to be for the community in general, and since many members of the community are gay/lesbian/bisexual or maybe none of the above but just interested in the celebration, it seems appropriate to me. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

rdonovan ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 8:50 PM

"I dont see wishing someone a happy anything ..." As long as it's a cause or event you relate to. In other words, staying on-topic means nothing to you.

spinner ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 9:06 PM

Fascinating conclusion - "If you don't see it, it has no meaning" - It's not often one sees such towering juggernauts of astute observation. My apologies to you all. I took the trolling bait, and allowed a derail. 'faders - I'm out of the thread. Everyone else - Have a very happy pride-fest, I know some of my best friends here are having one :-) ~S

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 9:35 PM

file_113959.jpg

Here's an old image I inherited from a colleague - I reckon it's on-topic, as it **WAS** done in Poser ;-)

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 10:11 PM

Stick to the topic, not members... Granted it's a little off topic for this forum, but, it's not that big of a deal Lighten up and move on folks...

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

sixus1 ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 11:50 PM

file_113960.jpg

Its a Pride Pony :) (done in Poser)

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 1:11 AM

More power to you, but perhaps you could explain what this has to do with "Renderosity issues such as FAQs, updates, ideas, improvements, events, navigation, feature use, and general site questions" - which (supposedly) is what this forum is for. Too easy. It's an event. :) Sorry if folks felt this was too OT for this particular forum. I'll remember that in the future.

mon1alpha ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 7:11 AM

Attached Link: http://www.digital-cheryle.com/Offtopic/

And this is why I stopped coming here everyday..too many self appointed bosses...'Well I don't think that...blah blah..blah' As for on/off/under/over topic..What does that mean anyhow? This is the Community Centre Forum..what are people supposed to discuss..the correct way to build Community Centres? Why not try the link...free arguments with every login :) Hiya spinner, hope you're well

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:35 AM

Back atcha Sean! Got friends marching in the SF parade again this year, but I am NOT working any of the beer booths this time. Gonna stay home and watch it on the TV while I lay floor tile in the basement instead. ;-) Kate

JeffH ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:40 AM

I think Pride is a bad thing, it gets you into trouble most of the time.

How about "Humble and Unashamed" day? :-)

Guess that's too long :-)

-Jeff

Bobasaur ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 1:04 PM

"How about "Humble and Unashamed" day? " That needs one more letter! It should be "Humble and Unashamed Human" day. Then we could all walk around and greet each other like this: HUH? OK. I admit it was silliness like that that got OT closed. It's my fault! [grin]

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

calzgal ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 1:36 PM

I have a question. Community question even. Why is it, that the gay community fights like mad to get the world to STOP defining them as "gay", or by their sexual preference, but yet, it is the very essence of your sexuality that you base all your arguements. I have a number of gay friends. Guys and Gals. They are not my friends BECAUSE they are gay. I don't avoid them because they are gay. We don't discuss their "gayness" at dinner. We don't shop at "gay" stores for them and then "straight" stores for me. Their isn't a Heterosexual Pride Day. Fair is fair, I wanna run around letting everyone know I'm straight and married a guy and like him for being a him. It is irrelevant what or who you like to screw. And you seem hungry for the world or society to treat you in that way, yet their ya go with Pride Day. (When did it get shortened, by the way, from Gay Pride Day?) Seriously. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I haven't gotten an answer from any of my friends that helps me understand this issue. And before anyone screams gaybashing, let it be known that I support gay marriages et al. Human Civil Rights are just that; HUMAN. But until your lawyers stop argueing about sexual preferences and get to the bone of the steak on the matter...... just my 2 cents on Pride Day.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 2:43 PM

I have a number of gay friends. Guys and Gals. They are not my friends BECAUSE they are gay. I don't avoid them because they are gay. We don't discuss their "gayness" at dinner. We don't shop at "gay" stores for them and then "straight" stores for me Well, let's take your sentence and rewrite it a bit and see if it makes a bit more sense for you. I have a number of black friends. Guys and Gals. They are not my friends BECAUSE they are black. I don't avoid them because they are black. We don't discuss their "blackness" at dinner. We don't shop at "black" stores for them and then "white" stores for me. See the point? It's not about our sexual practices (which is what most of the straight world seem almost unnaturally interested in) but our identity as gays and lesbians. It's more than who puts their sexual organ where; it's a statement of being. And you're right: there's no Heterosexual Pride Day. But, as my friend Alison Bechdel once pointed out, every day is Heterosexual Pride Day. :-) Don't begrudge us because we take one and leave you 364.

calzgal ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 4:44 PM

Hell I aint begrudging anyone anything. Party on Garth. Just asking a question. Call me a uninformed nongay person...or whatever. And you can have the other 364 days.....I ignore all holidays. I think holidays are stupid.

Richabri ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 6:14 PM

I have nothing against 'gays' except the blatent misappropriation of the term 'gay'!!!

"I'm so pretty, I'm so pretty and witty and ... " yeah, like I can ever sing that song again! Not to mention "Don we now our gay apparel" at Christmas time - ok I can give you that one because it's pretty 'gay' right out of the box :)

You could have taken 'Convivial' and nobody would have minded a bit - who would have missed that? LOL :)

• Rick

Richabri ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 6:17 PM

lol@rdonovan: 'the official NRA "Bring Your Gun To School Week" '

Is it that time of the year already?! Jeez, where does the time go? It will be time for the local gun dealers to launch their 'Back to School' specials before you know it too :)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:04 PM

One does not "become black" by choosing to behave in a certain way. "Black" is defined by an inherent, not to mention an obvious, personal trait.

"Gay" is defined by a behavior. And only by a behavior.

One can discern that a black man is black merely by looking at him.

Usually, one cannot tell that someone else is homosexual simply by looking at them. One must be informed of this fact in order to become cognizant of it. They have to tell you before you will know.

"Race" and "behavior". Apples and oranges. Two utterly different things.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:22 PM

"Gay" is defined by a behavior. And only by a behavior <?i> So? It's still not a choice, Xeno. Get over it and move on. >> They have to tell you before you will know. And I bet that just bugs the be-jezuz out of you... :-)

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:31 PM

"Gay" is defined by a behavior. And only by a behavior. You are absolutely 100% wrong, and don't know what the hell you're talking about. Your posts are becoming increasingly offensive. You would do well to start showing respect for others and cut the pedantic B.S.

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:33 PM

Oops, forgot to say. HAPPY PRIDE WEEKEND, SEAN! (and to everyone else who thinks its okay for people to be what they are.)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:35 PM

Oh, well........ This thread looks to be headed for either "locked" status, or deletion. xo-- You are the one that's getting personal. Not that it bothers me. I'm immune. ;-) See you......elsewhere.

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:47 PM

Calzgal, just re-read your post. Your questions are fair IMO. Let's see if I can offer my perspectives, as someone who's lived in San Francisco for most of his adult life: "Why is it, that the gay community fights like mad to get the world to STOP defining them as "gay", or by their sexual preference, but yet, it is the very essence of your sexuality that you base all your arguements." I honestly haven't seen that in all my years living here in San Francisco. What I see is that people just want to be themselves without being prejudiced against because of it. "I have a number of gay friends. Guys and Gals. They are not my friends BECAUSE they are gay." Cool. That's the best. Ideally people are friends for other reasons, although it's also perfectly natural for people to fall into groups or friendships because of something in common in one way or another. I don't care for separatism so I like your attitude. "I don't avoid them because they are gay. We don't discuss their "gayness" at dinner. We don't shop at "gay" stores for them and then "straight" stores for me." Perfect! "Their isn't a Heterosexual Pride Day. Fair is fair, I wanna run around letting everyone know I'm straight and married a guy and like him for being a him." Heterosexual people can be themselves openly throughout the world with no problem. Gay people are shamed, beaten up, forbidden employment and housing and even murdered because they're gay. Straight people don't face these challenges and evils just for being straight. The "pride" thing is about self-acceptance and the hope that others will also accept. "Pride" may be an outdated word in some ways, but at this point it's such a tradition that there's no point in gettting tangled up in semantics. In an unprejudiced world, your point would be absolutely correct, there would be no need for celebration of one sexuality or the other or the in-betweens. :-) "It is irrelevant what or who you like to screw." You appear to be several decades ahead of most of the world. :-) "And you seem hungry for the world or society to treat you in that way, yet their ya go with Pride Day. (When did it get shortened, by the way, from Gay Pride Day?)" Probably because some people, namely some lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons associate "gay" with homosexual males. I for one don't. I think of it as sort of an all-purpose word, easier to say and less "clinical" sounding than "homosexual," less offensive than the countless epithets. "Seriously. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I haven't gotten an answer from any of my friends that helps me understand this issue. You don't seem like a jerk at all! You're asking questions, which is intelligent and fair. Making false assertions is where things go wrong and people get offended or angry. It's cool, it's better to talk about these things in the name of mutual understanding. "And before anyone screams gaybashing, let it be known that I support gay marriages et al. Human Civil Rights are just that; HUMAN. But until your lawyers stop argueing about sexual preferences and get to the bone of the steak on the matter......" I can't imaging anyone accusing you of bashing for your post. That'd be an overreaction, the kind that does no good for anyone.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:53 PM

Yes.....xo's OK with it. So long as you basically agree with him. At least, that's the way that he's been acting lately.

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 10:02 PM

Sorry, but that's not the case xenophonz, I doubt if anyone will fall for that. I have not attacked your identity, your religion, your artwork, or anything that could be construed as terribly personal with the possible exception of the disrepect that you show for others. You are making patently false assertions about other people which are offensive (or just plain silly) to those people. I keep my mouth shut about most of the nonsense I see in the forums but not always. :-) I regret any appearance of personal attack because that's honestly not my intention. As you know you and I have been in agreement many times in various forums. I wouldn't bother if I thought you were without intelligence. I hope the thread will not be locked because some of what's being hashed out in this thread is worth hashing out. I do try to respect the rules around here and certainly those who enforce them, but sometimes a guy's gotta stand up for what's right. Attacks on the religious beliefs of others are not right, not good netizenship. Same is true of false assertions about the identities of others. If you're not gay, you do not speak for gay people, period. When I said you don't know what you're talking about, that's what I meant. The assertions that being gay is ONLY about behavior and is a choice is indeed false, at best, a matter of being uninformed, at worst, a hateful lie. This isn't a matter of opinion or political convictions. It's about the human realities, whether those who disapprove of homosexuality or who misunderstand it can deal with that or not.

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 10:08 PM

"Yes.....xo's OK with it. So long as you basically agree with him. At least, that's the way that he's been acting lately." Wrong again. I'm very cool with disagreement and frequently enjoy it as an exercise in critical thinking and debate. You should know that by now. The difference between your post and Calzagal's is that she stated her views while asking questions, you simply made false assertions. I don't "agree" with everything Calzgal said. I disagree strongly with many of the things said by the people I hobnob with at 3D Arena (which I encourage you to visit, especially the "Downtown Bar" forum) but we get along very, very well in spite of that. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs about sexuality, morality, etc. It's ugly false assertions I dislike and sometimes speak up about.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 10:11 PM

XO-- Yes, we sometimes agree. But not here, and not on this. However, if I were to enter into the spirit of full debate with you in this thread -- it would end up locked or deleted. So, I'll leave it alone. Except to say that you are the one that's being judgemental. Not I. I haven't referred to any of your statements in the same spirit that you've used. And, yes.....this issue most certainly is a matter of "opinion". This, in spite of your attempts to make it a matter of dogma: a dogma which no one else should dare to assail. For now, in this place, at this time.....that's all. We'll agree again. Some other time.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 10:19 PM

Y'know, frankly, I dont care what one thinks of gays and lesbians and their place in the big bus of society. Don't like it? Well, y'know, life's full of disappointments sometimes, and folks like this are gonna have to do just a little better to get me down this time of year. Best to you, Xoco!

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 10:25 PM

the people I hobnob with at 3D Arena (which I encourage you to visit, especially the "Downtown Bar" forum) Thanks for the invite. I might accept it at some point. The only problem is: I spend entirely too much of my time hanging around the forums already......

LillianH ( ) posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 10:33 PM

Sorry folks, this one continued on the personal path. Since the caution flag had already been thrown, it's time to head into pits and call the race. Ending it before the wrecks get worse. Thanks, LillianH Renderosity Marketing & Promotions "Humble and Unashamed Human" (I enjoyed this idea. Thanks Bobasaur!)

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager
By serving each other, we are free.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.