Mon, Sep 16, 10:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: So how many use dynamic clothing?

iamonk ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 10:42 PM · edited Sun, 01 September 2024 at 11:24 AM

I know conforming is going to be more desirable than the cloth room items. It's another thing to learn, is only for P5 users, and some even seem to be under the impression that is it more for animations. I don't see too much of it around. I'm kinda curious as to how many use the dynamic on a regular basis, and what are some reasons for not using it. Just kinda curious.

Valandar ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 10:47 PM

I do, but almost always with something I custom model on the spot to fit the situation. It's easier and more realistic than conformers, but not as quick or easy as a conformer that has already been set up.

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

cappy3 ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 10:50 PM

I just started using it and it adds to the realism. The last 4 or 5 of the images in my gallery use some sort of dynamic cloth. I am really starting to like it.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 11:34 PM

I generally use it only for the stuff that really needs it ... long flowing garments, skirts and capes, etc. But I've also put it to use when building meshes that'll later become conforming clothing, as it allows me to generate realistic drapes and folds in the fabric that would be a pain to model by hand.

JVRenderer ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 11:56 PM · edited Wed, 07 July 2004 at 11:56 PM

I've use it only once for an image. The calculations and then the rendertime was enough to make me put P5 back on the shelf and just use it occasionally for product testing.
JV :o)

Message edited on: 07/07/2004 23:56

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 12:25 AM

i render in vue and i can't import dynamics easily without mover which i don't own (yet), so i don't use it. love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Dizzie ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 1:09 AM

I don't understand how to use it except in animations...since I don't do animations, I only tried dynamic clothes once...

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 2:37 AM

Okay, those of you use do use it, can you point out some good tutes? Yes, I've looked at the manual, but I think we can all agree that it's only useful if you already know how to do stuff... ;-) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 2:37 AM

I've used it a few times, but as little_dragon mostly for clothes I've modelled and then clothified to get nice draping folds. Newest example is my Dementor pic in the gallery where I modelled the dementor-dress and clothified it to get that flowing look of it (and after that I postworked the hell out of it LOL) Dizzie, it's great for stills too, but you have to start out with an animation, that's true. Only you then render the last pic (or thereabouts) of the resulting simulation-animation instead of the normal Frame 1 :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 2:38 AM

bonni, PhilC and Nerd has some tutes on Dynamic clothes :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 2:48 AM

Dementors? * wanders into gallery to look around * I take it you've seen the new Harry Potter film, then? I only recently caught it myself. Not bad at all, though I probably should have watched the first two beforehand.

FishNose ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 4:22 AM

I've tried on a number of occasions. And never got it to work in spite of tuts and instructions.... sigh. The stuff always falls towards the floor in the end. And it seems to take so much TIME... :] Fish

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 5:51 AM

I actually bought Poser 5 to use the cloth room - so far, it's been much easier than I expected from reading forum posts, and I may end up using it more often. The realism is worth it. Meanwhile, I'm making morphs for conforming clothing with it; sort of pseudo-dynamic, or maybe frozen dynamics...

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 6:12 AM · edited Thu, 08 July 2004 at 6:14 AM

I haven't used it in an image yet (haven't done one that needed it), although I have used it to fit custom figures. The problem is that it takes so bloody long to work. I can't blame Poser too much for that; the simple fact is that these are very complex calculations, and although there might be some optimizations that could be done to the code, it's just a long process by its nature. Nonetheless, I'm not often inclined to have my computer occupied for 12-36 hours while I'm working on a pic.

Message edited on: 07/08/2004 06:14

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 6:41 AM

Me Me Me! I do animations, and use VuePro for my renderer much of the time, and frankly you can not beat it for effect, both in animation and in stills. P5 seems to have finally passed the threshhold; you are seeing more and more usages of Don and Judy (with some excellent looks after a little elbow grease...kinda like it was with Posette and V1), and more interest in the material room and the cloth room, which is why there is finally more information coming out about them. From my observations you need a gig of good ram and a fast processor...but you would need that anyway. The cloth room is based on Stitch, a dynamic plugin for the big boys, and -it- is a memory hog and time gobbler(cloth dynamics doesn't just bring Poser to its knees; it can do it to =all= graphics apps, no matter how capable). But if you look at all that is occuring during a drape and short 30 frame 'move from zero pose to chosen pose' it actually is a fast process -for the result-. If the character spins as they move to their final resting pose, you get torsion in the cloth due to the implied physics in the code. You have self collisions to test for as well as anything else in the scene you have flagged as a collider. There's a learning curve to it, no two ways, but you get effects no conforming figure can match, at least without several dozen customized morphs and the time involved to tweak them. And think about -keyframing- all of that 600 times for a 20 second animation.... (eyes water in sympathetic reaction...)

stallion ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 7:01 AM

I use it I began with PhilC's tute (a good one ) and I love the effect now I use Don, Judy and the Kids more

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

msg24_7 ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 7:20 AM

" Okay, those of you use do use it, can you point out some good tutes? " Check out the tutorials at www.poserfashion.net There are also some great dresses for free and they come with their own tutorials. Reading thru those tutorials did help a lot with understanding the cloth room. Since then I am using it more and more. I've now begun to convert some conforming clothing to dynamic :-D It really adds to the realism!

Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 7:21 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: bouncers

Im an animator and the cloth room in poser is actually better and faster than Cinema4DXL 's $500 "Dynamics" plugin its the main reason i upgrade to poser5

My website

YouTube Channel

pdxjims ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 9:45 AM

I use it for anything I drape. It's especially nice in combination with a good 3D modeling program. I also use it for morphsing to muscles via animation frames.

Valandar ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 10:33 AM

As for that gig of ram bit... I do a whole LOT of cloth sims just playing around, and I only have 256 meg and a 1.4 ghz proccessor.

kirwyn ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 11:16 AM

Since learning how to use Dynamic Clothing, I prefer it over Conforming Clothing because of the realism it provides in either a set-up still shot or animation. It is also easier to make in a modeling program.

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 11:32 AM

I'm factoring in how much better behaved Poser gets with more ram, and the fact that XP has such a big footprint. If your system is stable, you can do it with a lot less in the way of power and resources....you just pay for it in time spent calculating.

Valandar ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 12:25 PM

True, true. And I'm one of the lucky ones, who had no problems with P5 at all from day one (except, of course, the wonky frizz strand-based hair gets in dynamics calculations, which could have been prevented with a lower "rebound" rate). To me, the patches were just gravy... although Don STILL doesn't have any decent muscle morphs. I guess it's time to load the obj into Max and start vertex pulling...

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 3:03 PM

I love dynamic clothes. I still use conforming clothes, too, because they're faster, but dynamic clothing fits better, and looks so much more natural.

I recommend the tutorials at PoserFashion.net. You can download free dynamic dresses there, too. One of the tutorials shows you how to fit dynamic clothing to any figure.

diolma ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 3:05 PM

I use dynamic cloth a lot, mostly for stills. Advantages: - Clothing specifically designed with for the cloth room tends to look better than the equivalent conforming clothing, especially in the more poses. - Most dynamic clothing can (with a little work in the cloth room) usually be made to fit figures it wasn't designed for, or to a morphed figure. - It works (as stated above) especially well for loose, flowing clothes (and also as bedsheets, blankets, towels etc..). - It can be affected by wind (whether in animations or stills). - (Shameless plug for someone I don't even know), SVDL has some excellent dynamic clothing for several of the milennium females, available in the freebies section. Disadvantages: - Time consuming. Dependent on the number of verts in the clothing and how many objects it has to collide with. - Needs learning. (Also time consuming.) But the more you play with it the better the results. - Laborious to save for re-use in another scene (usually involves spwning morph target, and lots of exporting/importing as .obj files). Just my 0.2 worth Cheers, Diolma

iamonk ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 4:59 PM

Two things I've learned recently in the cloth room I thought were interesting... The dynamic groups are actually saved when you add the item to your props. I never downloaded any that had these so I didn't realize it was possible. Body parts of conforming figures can be made dynamic. I haven't produced anything noteworthy, but you can get them to drape. Thought I'd share.

Torulf ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 5:50 PM

I have started to use dynamic clotting. Its hard to understand in the beginning but become a great alternative to conforming clotting. Its also east to make your own clotting as dynamical and to use clotting for a different character on a new one.

TG

Tunesy ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 7:49 PM

I rarely use it simply because of the time issue.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2004 at 6:10 PM

We use it a lot here for our internal work, there is less and less reason to deal with the flaws in conforming clothing. In the gallery you see it all the time, clothing that doesn't fit well, floats off the body and generally hangs completely wrong. Add in all the restrictions and problems of getting non-dynamic clothing to fit custom characters and it is clear to me how much it is holding the Poser community back to still be stuck with the conforming stuff. "The Dress" @ Daz is a good example. Its a nice product I am sure but why build in morphs to a conforming item that are tailored to specific poses when the dress coudl have easily beeen a fully dynamic item and been far superior? The aversion to supporting P5 is starting to make Daz look a little behind the times.

Lawndart ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2004 at 6:36 PM

Attached Link: http://www.3-axis.com/demos.asp

I use it all the time. Go to the link and check out the animated short. It's the one at the top right. The coat is completely done with cloth. Cheers, Joe

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.