Sat, Jul 6, 12:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 06 10:46 am)

Subject: Wanted: Spaceships

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 1:17 PM · edited Sun, 28 April 2024 at 4:01 PM

Planning the next adventure of Jayde Stormsinger & Master K'wyn (see my latest gallery offering if you don't know who I mean) and find myself in need of some spaceships. I've been to Turbosquid but what's in my price range (between checks & down to my last pack of noodles :-( is either not quite right or not for Poser -- and it's the same way with some really neat ones in the marketplace here. Yes, I've been to Sci Fi 3d but there it's another problem: all the models are from movies and obviously intended for fan work only. I need something that will permit commercial renders but also would not look too far from home if it ever fell thru a wormhole and into a certain galaxy far away. I already have interiors, all of X2000's stuff, and a few 3ds star fighters; what I'm in need of are destroyers, freighters, tankers, and maybe a space station. Anybody have an idea where I might find some?

Message edited on: 09/08/2004 13:18

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 1:35 PM

I am looking for capital ships too. I have a proposal into a modeler for a capital ship (with a list of specific styles and features) but many are needed.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 2:01 PM · edited Wed, 08 September 2004 at 2:01 PM

Yeah, and a few droids wouldn't go astray either. I found some that don't look half bad but they're un-posable and not much can be done by way of texturing them the way I want to either. Oh, it probably could be done but alas, I haven't the know-how. Was thinking about the Daz mech, but I dunno if I can justify the price right now.

Or if the darn thing can shoot a laser cannon worth a damn ...

Message edited on: 09/08/2004 14:01

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 2:20 PM

While I'm not looking myself, I know people who are... I did my own corridor section a while back, more to see how I could put together Doc Geep's methods he'd been using for his House tutorial. But a whole spaceship...

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 2:31 PM

Personlay im not expecting an entire interrior and exterrior ship, just the outside. there are modular and prebuilt sets for inside scenes.

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 2:38 PM

Same here. Insides are fine, got all I need for those. It's the exteriors I want for a space battle scene.

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 2:48 PM

Attached Link: http://xpi.org.uk/~swma/archives/archives.htm

Some of the battleships at the link are not from the star wars films and could be used in scenes, at least in the background. 3ds format.

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 2:57 PM · edited Wed, 08 September 2004 at 2:58 PM

They're perfect. However, did you see this on the bottom of every page?

"Remember? You can use these models for your personal entertaining only."

::sigh:: Guess that means fan art only -- even if I could sort out Lucasfilm's from the rest.

Message edited on: 09/08/2004 14:58

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 3:02 PM

Problem I have with 3ds stuff is that it either has that shine on all the surfaces or you split the vertices and loose all curved surfaces.

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 3:41 PM

It says you can use these only for personal entertaining because most of them are copyrighted by lucasarts. Some of them are from games and some are from novels.

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 3:42 PM

Tyger purr in uvmapper pro you can set the splitting angle so that not all vertices are split.

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 3:50 PM

I tend to stay away from all game & novel stuff too, there's less chance of copyright hassles that way. Just found a nice, safe public domain model on a google search and downloaded it but I don't know how its gonna look in Poser. It's a ship called Sona by Dr. Bob and is in 3ds. There's a texture .jpeg included. I found it at a place called The Great Escape; however the link to his page is broken, as are most of the ones on that site.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 3:54 PM

cool...if i had UVmapper pro.... Shade (standard) is supposed to have a UV editor, i'll have to see what i can do with that when it gets here.

gps ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 5:23 PM

If you have a look at my gallery you'll see that I'm working (very slowly) on a model of the Battlestar Galactica (remember the TV series from the 70's?)- attempting to duplicated the detail level seen on the original studio miniature.

In order to do that, I literally have to model the plastic kit parts that were stuck on to create the detail in the first place. By now I have quite a lot of these virtual 'kit bits' and it occurs to me that I could use them to cobble together some generic vessels - assuming that you're after that 'knobbly' ILM/Star Wars style.

Obviously the detail level would be well down on that of the Galactica, maybe around 5-10,000 polys, so that multiple ships could be used together. I'm thinking maybe the space fleet equivalent of Moebius87's dystopia city blocks - ideal for background detail, while still able to hold up under medium-close observation.

Freebies, obviously, with no commercial restrictions. Sound like a plan?

Cheers

• Graham

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 5:29 PM

A plan? Graham dear, I'll sacrifice a naked Vicky in your honor for something like that! And I'm thinkingTyger-purr would, too, right?

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 6:07 PM

Hi Byrdie, I may be able to help you (with one ship at least LOL!) If you look in my gallery you will see a ship called the 'Goliath' which features in a few of my latest images. I got the idea for it from seeing the game 'Star Wars: bounty hunter' as Jango fett has something similar to it in the beginning of the game and I wanted to create something with a mandalorian feel to it. It comes with textures and there are 2 versions in .3ds format (landing gear up and down. I'd love to get this on to the freestuff pages but I don't have a website to host it. But if you want her she is yours (as long as I am able to send it to you as I seem to have problems with email at the mo, but I can try) Anyways, good luck in your search. Tony (MINTY1974)

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 6:42 PM

That'd be great. Of course now I'm gonna have to come up with a proper scoundrel of a pilot. Alien, and she can't stop ogling Jayde, which naturally drives poor K'wyn bananas ;-)

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 7:19 PM

Spaceships on Fantasticarts.com. You need to sign up at the site -- it's free -- and have an e-donkey client and it might take awhile to download them but they have a package of 50 or so in .3ds and other formats. Many are from the movies but some aren't, now I have to sorting them out. Which oughta be fun, since I'm sure I wouldn't recognize anything that doesn't look like the Enterprise, Galactica -- yep, one of those there too but I don't think it's as good as Graham's version, we're talking ultra low file size here -- or an X-Wing. And they don't all have preview pix or a read-me file either. (I guess they assumed that wasn't necessary since the terms of use are on the download page.)

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 7:57 PM

I still want poser spacecraft.

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 8:12 PM

Me too. I just went thru that folder & found the models were either in formats Poser wouldn't recognize or for programs I don't have. Most of the .lwo and .3ds stuff was from the movies or video games; the rest was too old to know the particulars of and the read-mes were absent or vague. Guess I'll just have to keep looking.

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 8:26 PM

file_127663.jpg

Well if anyone wants this ship IM me with your email address and I will give her to you. It's not a fantastic model and not really great for close up work but you might be able to use it (check out my gallery to see what I mean) Tony(MINTY1974) P.S. Let me know if you want her with landing gear 'up' or 'down'

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 8:35 PM

Looks good. IMing you now.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 9:08 PM

gad..I make 'em all the time..how many you want?..;) all free..low-poly, but might be good for distance shots..I've done some fan-art, but some 'kitbashes' as well..they're mostly .obj format, but I have a few .3ds as well. IM me with an email, and I'll throw a zip together or somethin'..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 9:33 PM · edited Wed, 08 September 2004 at 9:42 PM

Hey, nice pix you got there, pakled! I really like those star fighters from the Improbability Generator" scene, also that "Not The Firefly" destroyer. If the rest are as good I can probably use 'em. IMing you now... And I just edited this cuz I put something in that was meant for someone else but I'm stoned on cold meds right now. Darned frickin' bug!

Message edited on: 09/08/2004 21:42

Ben_Dover ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 9:49 PM

Attached Link: http://www.planit3d.com/source/viewtopic.php?t=514

Kalador, Slinger and the rest of the gang at PlanIt3D participated in this very mission awhile back and came up with a cargohold full of links. Check it out, forum requires signing up (free membership)

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 9:52 PM

Thanks. Already a member, off to hunt right now!

gps ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 10:02 PM · edited Wed, 08 September 2004 at 10:04 PM

file_127664.jpg

Er, glad you like the idea Byrdie, but no sacrifices are necessary ;)

Okay, here's my first attempt at 'sticking-the-bits-together'. Made entirely of Galactica surface detail bits, variously scaled, mirrored and tweaked.

Rendered in Poser 4 with a global lighting set. I lowered the gamma a bit in Paintshop to compensate for the lack of textures, which was making it look a bit ghostly LOL

As for scale, well it's definitely not a capitol ship! More like a destroyer or frigate perhaps?

Should look better (and bigger) once I get a texture on it ;)

• Graham

Message edited on: 09/08/2004 22:04

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 10:05 PM

minty, how big is it? zipped, i dont have much space to recieve at the moment.

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 10:13 PM

Oh, that does look cool, even to my 'flu-bleary eyes. Can't wait to see how it looks textured, I simply must have it for the Imperial Armada. No Vicky sacrifices, hm? Pity, I just picked up a couple of Slinger's really neat daggers over at Planit 3d. ;-) Now i'm gonna go bye-bye since i'm getting too groggy to type. Dunno if i'll get much rest however, my runny nose is driving me nutso!

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2004 at 10:23 PM · edited Wed, 08 September 2004 at 10:25 PM

The zipped file is 2.77MB including textures and it's in .obj format. That's a cool looking ship gps, How do you do it so quickly? LOL!

Message edited on: 09/08/2004 22:25

gps ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 12:45 AM

Minty1974, I'm actually a pretty slow modeller, I've just been doing it for a long time, so I've built up a library of parts I can reuse. Think of it as cyber-recycling ;) - Graham

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 7:56 AM

gps: very nice. size is rather difficult to determin. at first glance it looks like a shuttle craft. Minty: 2.77 is way too big for my poor hotmail account. any chance you could get a yahoo briefcase for me to download it from?

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 10:18 AM

I haven't checked my hotmail account in a while but hasn't it changed from 2MB to 10MB attachments? Oh, and what's a Yahoo briefcase? Graham: I know what you mean about recycling. In the last image I uploaded I used a model of the 'Pillar of Autumn' ship from the game Halo I modeled in 3dsmax as a sky scraper LOL! It saved time.

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 10:28 AM

I have had about a million people ask is I could send my model to them. I don't really have the time to send it to so many people. Unfortunately I do not have a website to host the model and to allow people to access it from the freestuff section. If there is anyone out there willing to do this for me then anyone can download it. Does anybody know of anyone who could help me do this? Cheers.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 12:55 PM

I haven't checked my hotmail account in a while but hasn't it changed from 2MB to 10MB attachments? My indicator still says 2MB >Oh, and what's a Yahoo briefcase? Yahoo briefcase is a place where you can upload files and send a link to people and they can download the file (you can also limit how long it is avaiable). or if they have a yahoo id you can put them no a list so that they can get files there too. you can also open it up to the public. its good for giving out files but i think there is a bandwidth limitation that keeps it from being usable for the FreeStuff here at rosity. I think there are other limitations too but i dont recall all of them. I use one i had to distribute some textures i was having beta tested because i could upload it once (i have dial up) and then send out invitation to my testers.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 1:11 PM

oh..for blantant cheaters..there's a program out there called 'Doga L1' (do a search, ask for the English version)..it's free, and makes exportable models, only deal is it makes them in .dxf, if'n I remember, but Crossroads can probably take care of that. It's basically a large collection of spaceship parts that you assemble..cute, and handy in a hurry..best way to shut up 8-year-old boys that I've found..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 5:11 PM · edited Thu, 09 September 2004 at 5:14 PM

Attached Link: http://www.kuroyumes-developmentzone.com/appleyard/3d/aaufo2.zip

file_127665.jpg

There are infinitilllion spaceship models on the web, but most of them are only the outside. This model is of a Gerry Anderson UFO series UFO, and it has an inside and cabins and pilot's seats etc.

Message edited on: 09/09/2004 17:14

Byrdie ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2004 at 6:05 PM

Saw that one. Nice, but it's not what I'm looking for this time round. Though I will add it to my collection for later use, maybe in some X-Files fan art.

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 11:02 AM

file_127666.jpg

Here are a few of my meager ships. The triangular one you coculd make poseable the hatch and landing gear. IM me if anyone wants them.

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 11:05 AM

Fantastic spaceship. It looks like a Ekranoplane on steroids!!tongue.gif

Byrdie ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 3:08 PM

"Ekranoplane on steroids" Nope, not gonna ask! Does look pretty neat, though. Sure, send it my way if you like, I'm sure I can find room in the docking bay for it. Trouble is, these all look too good for the bad guys. Whatever am I going to let those robot Republikans fly? Hm, maybe a brick?

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 4:18 PM

you know, if you do a search for ekranoplan on google you get some really great images of a plane that would make a great starting point for a space craft model. And cheers for the compliment groingrinder. Nice looking ships you have there yourself.

dante ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2004 at 11:46 PM

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 2:38 PM

file_127667.jpg

just playing with shade :)

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 2:38 PM

file_127668.jpg

she's a pretty big ship.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 2:40 PM

file_127669.jpg

with space for some company.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 2:42 PM

file_127670.jpg

I dont know how she'll turn out, i dont have textures or uvs or anything yet. i still have a quite a bit of stuff to finish on her.

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 2:54 PM

Shade? You got it to do that?! I couldn't even get the frickin' demo to work for me, then again it's so crippled as to be next best thing to useless, which is why I dumped it as a waste of hard drive space. But if it models that good for someone just "playing" with it Shade just might be worth another look.

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 3:01 PM

Top work fella! You HAVE to texture this ship! MINTY.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 4:02 PM · edited Tue, 21 September 2004 at 4:03 PM

yup, that's Shade. Shade Standard, though I don't think I've done anything that couldn't be done in Shade LE.

BTW: having the instructions really makes a difference :)
This is my first modeling program.

oh, and just so there isnt any confusion, those five ships lined up in the landing bay are Davoramas LCV1 from DAZ, not my work.

and that's Stephanie petite standing barefoot on the barrel of the gun.

Message edited on: 09/21/2004 16:03

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 4:22 PM

"...those five ships lined up in the landing bay are Davoramas LCV1 from DAZ, not my work." Thought they looked familiar. Still way cool. Instructions? There were instructions?! ::smacks head :: I knew I forgot something. No wonder it didn't make sense!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.