Fri, Sep 20, 4:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:32 pm)

Subject: Your Choices in the Marketplace will be censored by PayPal

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 3:32 PM

" I was sick to death of all the tits staring at me in the marketplace anyway." Tits I don't mind 'tall... it's the plastic and/or inflated-looking ones that turn me off. Yuck. /P

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 3:37 PM

"I'm just curious to see if Tim's A/R department can take the punishment that he's about to inflict on it..." He's actually got a department? Wow, I thought it was just a couple of folks.... And Xena -- c'mon, you know that any little lady who speaks her mind 'round these parts is gonna get kicked out to the kitchen....

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

ArtyMotion ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 3:37 PM

it's the plastic and/or inflated-looking ones that turn me off hehehehe ... three dials required ... big, ultra-big, and gargantuan.

Xena ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 3:39 PM

If you have a good product, it's going to sell, even if you don't shove a huge set of boobies in the customers face :)

Xena ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 3:44 PM

ynsaen - LOL We opinionated gals aren't real popular round these parts ;)

SophiaDeer ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 3:51 PM
Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 3:58 PM

" If you have a good product, it's going to sell, even if you don't shove a huge set of boobies in the customers face " Yup - I've always subscribed to the "more than a mouthful is a waste" club in the chest department... dunno, but that coupled with a nice pair of legs does more than a pair of zepplins docked on some chick's ribcage ever will... My dear ynsaen, I dunno if he has one or not, but I suspect that things are gonna be slightly painful once the Titty Patrol gets serious. /P

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 3:58 PM

...err, this is gonna hit Free Stuff too, innit? /P

Sarte ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 4:01 PM

ERK! That would be bad! VERY VERY BAD! I get 95% of my stuff from free stuff!

Do the impossible, see the invisible

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

ArtyMotion ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 4:03 PM · edited Tue, 16 November 2004 at 4:07 PM

More than likely, Pengy 8-)

Just for grins, I did a search in the marketplace to see how this would impact the marketplace ...

An All Poser search came to about 6200 hits Victoria 2525 hits
V3 1311 hits
Vicky 773 hits

as compared to

Sex 366 hits
Fetish 225 hits
Boobs 7 hits

My rationale is this ... seeing as Victoria is, no doubt, the most heavily supported character, in all of her incarnations, that might be the "top line" search result.

"Sex" would probably be the top search term for adult oriented products.

Going by these results, it looks like about 5-15% of the marketplace will be affected.

Message edited on: 11/16/2004 16:07

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 4:10 PM

err, 5-15% of some very heavily-selling products, no less. Man, that IS gonna hurt. /P

ArtyMotion ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 4:16 PM

Yes, and no ... Costs to maintain the site will go down as a result (less bandwidth for products and gallery images) ... so you can't say it will ALL be a loss. And as someone else has pointed out, other Poser sites have the same, if not more stringent, policies and they aren't doing too bad. 8-)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 4:22 PM

Dunno; they factor in bandwidth for that stuff (at least they should've), and I've seen some of that haul in some serious cash. Heavy-sellers eat more packets, but the profit is usually big enough to cover for the cost of displaying, adverting and storing the crap items. /P

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 4:28 PM

I shop at Rotica, and I'm not ashamed of it. Heck, everything I've bought at Rotica would be acceptable here at Rosity, too. It's not like they only sell x-rated stuff there. My last Rotica purchase was Coreart's cool baseball uniforms.

STORM3 ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 4:46 PM

I have over 380 items valued at over $4,300 sitting in my wishlist/cart here. I was planning on buying at least half of them over the next 6 months. I have similar carts at DAZ, Poserpros and Runtime DNA. I spend a lot on Poser related items. But I guess most of my Renderosity items are just going to sit. And if this policy comes in, I will either contact the artists directly or buy at other sites carrying the goods.
The same probably holds true for many other high-spending customers!

When a bank dictates what a retailer can and cannot sell it is time to change banks. Look along the street, there are many that will gladly take your custom.

Mmmmm.. does the parent company here own stock in Paypal or vice versa?

FishNose ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 4:54 PM

U.S. morals being imposed on the rest of the world. That's the simple answer here. That's not OT - and it's not political. Just stating the obvious. :] Fish

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 5:17 PM

Mehndi wrote: "Might I just point out if I may, that I do not see anyone laughing in glee?" Not necessarily here.

Bobasaur ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 5:17 PM

"We opinionated gals aren't real popular round these parts ;) " Xena, I'm afraid I don't know you but as far as ynsaen... I think she's the coolest! I like women who think for themselves! (even if I don't agree with what they think)

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 6:08 PM

wait a sec? You don't know Xena? Oi!!! Must go and seek her out -- great stuff! lol and ya gots me blushin, too!

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 6:38 PM

I wonder if I'll continue to see "2000+ surfers currently online" register at the top of my screen after Nov. 22nd?

Who knows? It's possible that the browsing number will get larger, rather than smaller.

"G" movies, on the average, make a lot more money than do "R" movies. And "G" movies tend to draw far larger audiences.

((In fact, The Matrix Reloaded was the first-ever R-rated film to make it into the top 20 money-making movies of all time.))

I like this site. It keeps changing all of the time -- and it's a far cry from what it was back when I first aquired the Poser habit. But I still like it.

Whatever products the admins/site owners choose to sell in the MP is entirely up to them. Likewise -- my purchasing decisions are entirely up to me.

Short term, this will no doubt hurt. Long term......how will this affect the bottom line? I wouldn't venture to guess.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

Richabri ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 6:49 PM

'Short term, this will no doubt hurt. Long term......how will this affect the bottom line? I wouldn't venture to guess. ' I agree with you on that but I'd rather not be put into the position of having to guess - I'm definitely doing ok now and I'd much prefer it to stay that way :)

Latexluv ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 6:54 PM

Its a very sad thing to see this happening here. I was not aware of these things regarding Paypal and Visa. I only use Paypal for Ebay. And the reason I have a Paypal account is that I am a merchant at 3Dcommune and they set me up with a Paypal account for payment purposes. I'm sad to see that Rocity will be yanking a lot of stuff from the store in order to comply with these terms (and I agree that a bank should not be able to dictate what you can do with your money). I buy a lot of fetish and fantasy clothing because I do a lot of art that's like Olivia or Royo (two of my favorite artists). And if the Marketplace doesn't carry a lot of the items that I would buy then the Marketplace isn't going to get much of my money. I am now considering what to do about my Paypal account and the Visa card that I have. Unfortunately, Paypal and Ebay go together for ease of use (and they are now basically the same company). I am also very sorry to hear that Nerd has been banned. He's one of the artists I've known for ages from back just before the change over to the Renderosity name from the old Poser Forum. Sad sad to see. sigh Well, I'm off to buy a copy of the Chronicles of Riddick at the video store and will check back into this mess later on. Liz

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Xena ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 8:55 PM

shakes Bobasaur's hand Pleased ta meecha :) I'm the crazy Aussie chick who doesn't hang around R'osity much anymore ;) Liz, CoR is worth buying :D I initially opened my Paypal account for the very same reason!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 9:02 PM

Nerd may have been banned from the Merchant Forum only (for disclosing private information, including quoting the letter), or he may have been site-banned for a temporary period of time for words or acts undertaken in that Merchant Forum, or he may have been perma-banned. But that last is very drastic and if you read the TOS, the steps taken are clear... and the warnings usually happen over time. I'll miss him if he indeed perma-banned. He does have his own site and store and has been enough of a presence that we'll know where to find him. :sigh: Meanwhile, I'll continue to use PayPal when I shop online. I don't buy torture chambers or bondage gear or hentai set-ups so the merchants I buy from are probably not going to be affected much. Merchants who sell textures will have to be a bit more careful and creative, but if the head is on the first page and the full body is on the second and third, I should be able to make an informed decision as to quality. Carolly

darken666 ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 10:06 PM

I just don't like the idea of Paypal having control over what I can buy online just because they can strongarm sites like Renderosity into following their orders. I'm disappointed in Renderosity for caving in and letting someone else (who has no legal authority to do so, merely the threat of no longer providing service) determine what the policies of this site will be.

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 10:09 PM

Renderosity didn't cave. They decided to appeal to a larger market.

kusanagi73 ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 10:24 PM

There is a simple solution. Sell and buy your things at Renderotica.

sandoppe ( ) posted Tue, 16 November 2004 at 10:51 PM

Just curious.....why do people keep cash in their accounts with Paypal anyway??? I don't have any cash in my account. When I have to use paypal (to purchase my annual membership to DAZ Platinum club, buy from SAM's 3d, etc), I use my credit card to pay for the items. I've never been told I have to have cash in my account and never would. And now.....here are two good H. L. Mencken quotes: "Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy." and..... "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." Not sure if the later was actually a direct quote or not, but is being circulated via email and a lot of blogs throughout Jesus Land and the United States of Canada :) I think it's a terrific quote even if it wasn't said precisely this way by Mencken! As for Rendo.....whatever will be, will be....

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 1:32 AM

Sandoppe... Transaction charges. If you're making small purchases, it may be cheaper to make one transfer between your bank account and your paypal account to cover several purchases. If you're buying and selling, why remove the money from Paypal at all? But that logic now has to take in the potential cost of Paypal being bloody-minded.

sandoppe ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 1:48 AM · edited Wed, 17 November 2004 at 1:54 AM

The only thing I use Paypal for is to make purchases at sites that do not have their own credit card payment systems. I've never been charged for any transaction on any credit card purchase I make through Paypal and I really don't want Paypal to have access to anything at my bank :) Apparently my use of Paypal is way different than the way others use it. Edit: But then I don't sell items and I think your response was more related to why you and others might keep money in an account at Paypal. Thought I'd better clarify my response to your response! It's getting late....and I probably shouldn't be responding to anything when I'm tired :)

Message edited on: 11/17/2004 01:54

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 3:26 AM

sandoppe, My PayPal account actually is a Money Market account which pays much better interest (1.6%) than my bank account, so I don't lose anything by keeping a few spare dollars there. I don't do instant transfers, but allow the bank to spend the 3-4 days to move money, thus saving the wire fees. It means planning ahead, but I only spend money that I have budgeted and moved over for that purpose. For example, I knew that there would be an annual sale at RDNA so moved some money and waited. There's a few dollars left, and it can sit there until the next time I need to make a purchase. In 3 years the system has worked well. Carolly

ynsaen ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 3:28 AM

hmmm.... enough for an island floating around there, carolly? I mean, heck, ya might need someplace to test nuclear devices for the next killing spree.....

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 4:33 AM

Actually, I was thinking about that island... there is an island setting in the future (I've got the sketched-out scene involving a mermaid, a sea serpent and "the old shell game"... sort of like playing chess with dragons except the loser doesn't get eaten). I was going to do the island in Bryce, but if I can do it all within one program it would be much better than trying to pose and port figures. BTW, all my nuclear devices are tested in deep space... how do you think I got all these pretty asteroid belts? Carolly

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 6:08 AM

Attached Link: http://www.paypalsucks.com/forums/showthread.php?fid=6&tid=1529&old_block=0

*I really don't want Paypal to have access to anything at my bank :)*

I don't, either, but PayPal these days won't let you do much unless you attach a bank account to your PayPal account. Which opens up your bank account for abuse. I sweep the money from my PayPal account frequently, so they can't freeze it. But actually, they can take as much money as they want from my bank account, whenever they want. And any bank account info you give them, they keep forever. Even if you later remove the account, it's still in their computer system, where their employees have access to it. (PayPal employees are a big part of the problem. They are not held to the standards that bank employees are, and internal fraud is a big problem.)

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 6:46 AM

... sort of like playing chess with dragons except the loser doesn't get eaten

But ... but ... that's the best part of the whole game!

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 3:24 PM

Bookmark & censure

Stupidity also evolves!

macmullin ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 3:37 PM · edited Wed, 17 November 2004 at 3:42 PM

At the Computer - Rustling through Poser CD Collection and mumbling Where in the hell did I put that Photoshop sugar & spice and everything is nice filter!?

Message edited on: 11/17/2004 15:42

STORM3 ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 4:19 PM

Try under "Rose Tinted" macmullen. :0)

macmullin ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 4:50 PM

Ahhhh You were righT! Rose tinted it was! Lol - and along aside my Care Bear textures pack.

Xena ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 6:09 PM

and along aside my Care Bear textures pack Now THAT is just plain scary! LOL

macmullin ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 6:41 PM

:-)

nontroppo ( ) posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 10:51 PM

timid wrote: "no one, i don't care who they believe themselves to be, has the right to tell another what to post, where to post it, or in what context. thats why our constitution is in place to begin with. what does that come under, freedom of expression? freedom of speech? so what, we have yet one more thing taken away from us due to the "policies" of another?" Where private companies are involved, they have the right to do whatever they like with other people's "freedom of expression". I'm glad Renderosity is making moves to address the hypocritical aspects of their store and galleries. If they aim to be family-oriented, this latest move was necessary. It's not like Poser buyers and merchants don't have another very viable option (Renderotica). When it comes to adult-oriented stuff, I think it's generally a good idea to keep it separate from the stuff I'd want my children viewing. This goes for the local newsagents as much as it does for an internet site. I'm glad that adult magazines come in plastic wrappers. I'm glad that dildo's aren't sold in Toys R Us. It's unfortunate that R'osity is removing the lot rather than, say, creating an adult area, because they can only lose money as a result. For those nervous about shopping at Renderotica, I once bought some Karanta candle textures there (soooo erotic!?!) and the telltale name "Renderotica" didn't appear on my Visa statement.

kawecki ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 1:05 AM

Thrallord where are you?

Stupidity also evolves!

kristinf ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 2:18 AM

Just what I was thinking Kawecki ;)

"I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end" - Margaret Thatcher 1989

praxis22 ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 12:45 PM

Just when I started to look around again I find this, ah well. Back I go. Sod paypal, if I can't pay with (only) a credit card then I'm not paying period.

Tucan-Tiki ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 3:16 PM

Why is it thre poodle always ends up at the end of the Congo line?

praxis22 ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 4:35 PM

I have no idea, clue me :P

CardinalBiggles ( ) posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 5:00 PM

There is a serious debate concerning viable alternatives to PayPal just starting over at Renderotica. Why not go and put in your two cents?

Rittermann ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2004 at 10:22 AM

Coming from austria, I see a lot of parallel lines to our history - 60 years ago. Its not only the speeches of President Bush, who uses the same words and sentences like another leader with a funny small beard; its also the movement of "Entartete Kunst" (degenerated art) of the nazi-system; today the vassals dont wear brown uniforms, but maybe brown suits. Sorry folks, the world doesnt need your moralized education. It would be better to concentrate the energy on reducing analphabetism, violence and poverty in a - so called - western civilization.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.