Mon, Sep 9, 5:57 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Should I or shouldn't I?

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 2:02 PM ยท edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 6:08 AM

Ok, here's the thing. I'm a rather opinionated lass. I try to be honest, direct, straightforward, and impersonal. One of the things I'm looking at possibly trying to do in the new year is to comment more on images in the galleries. If I do, however, I will not do so in the "usual" form. I will take that small admonition in the box directly above the comment window quite seriously, and attempt to offer constructive criticism. However, if I do, I'm likely to set off a few folks there. no, not a few folks. A lot of them. I would do this stating with the Hot 20, of course. Being what is supposed to be a represnetation of the most popular images on the site (not the best, mind, you, but the most popular), one would expect they would be the best place to start. Now, this is good news for some folks -- if I were to do this, I would, of course, have less time to spend in the forum here. Now I ask the following question because based on what I've seen in threads on this site and around, many people do not want constructive criticism. They only want glowing praise. There is no mechanism, however, for selectively noting those. Unless it's specifically noted in the description that they only want glowing praise, then they may recieve a comment. (obviously, I'll only comment as I feel appropriate). So, given that potential for an "open season on Elle", should I? I have no problem with folks charging off and calling me names and such. And I can defend myself against verbal attacks and whatnot. I can take it, iow. But, well, should I? Is that something that rosity is still about, or has the community changed in that way? I don't know the "gallery crowd". I don't know if they are able to accept such stuff to the degree that the "forum crowd" is. I'm not talking about diving in and calling tripe on display the crap that it is. I'm talking about thoughtful observations and suggestions for improvement of the image overall. I'm not that sort of person. being oblivious to the "politics" of the gallery, before I go in and blithely start offending people, though, I thought I would at the least check in and be sure it's a reasonable idea. Now, I've never been called mean in the criticisms I have left. I have been thanked for them before. But, well, those were mostly a couple years ago, lol anyone?

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

The3dZone ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 2:20 PM

I personally don't see anything wrong with veiwing an image and giving your full honest opinion of it,I wish more people would do so. and I also think so long as you are not being mean with your review,there is no reason anyone should take offence to you giving your honest opinion of their images,I know I wouldn't. but then,I don't spend alot of time on my images,most of the ones I have posted here are quick, non postworked renders of whatever product I'm working on. The3dZone

Funny YouTube video of the week - Bu De Bu Ai

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 2:31 PM

You shouldn't. Despite their denials, they want unqualified praise. Anything else runs the risk of being misinterpreted and might hurt them.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 2:41 PM

I say do it, if only for all the complaints we'll get to laugh at from those who can't take constructive criticism.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

cagewench ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 2:48 PM

I say go for it... and I am LOL'ing at Lucifer's comment above :> cara

nickedshield ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 2:57 PM

Praise is always nice for the ego but you don't learn how to improve or force yourself to attempt different things. Recently I posted an image that I thought was pretty good to a forum. Well, some members were kind enough point out some areas that could use improvement and also offered suugestions on how to do it. so I guess it's like you said, it depends on how the criticism is presented.

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

SndCastie ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 3:03 PM

As long as it is in a respectful way then there shouldn't be a problem. If you feel they might not like it done publicly do it in a PM instead of in the Galleries. I personnally would love to get help to improve my art. :O) SndCastie Poser Moderator

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

Pony10 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 3:11 PM

First off I don't have anything posted. However, If/when I decide to post images, it will be primarly for constructive criticism. I do not want to be praised just for the sake of praise. I do not have an ego that tells me how great I am and do not need others attempting to give me one. I have been a photographer for the better part of 30 years and have done cartoon pencil sketching since I was about 15 (that's almost 35 years now). While my photography has been a hobby, not a profession, I have taken classes and done everything from taking the picture to developing and printing. I see alot of very good work here and some that is not so good. I have been hesitant to comment on any of it based on the same reasons that you have stated. It is my opinion that if someone want's to display their work AND ask for opinions then they want honest opinions. However, I have seen many times where people get offended by the criticisim they receive when it it justified. On the other side of the coin, I have seen people tear others work apart just to be mean. This is just as bad IMHO. If everyone were willing to be civil about it then this could be the type of site that everyone would enjoy. Again all of this ranting is just MHO and I think you should pursue your task and see if others will follow suit. Pony

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 3:11 PM

I wish you would. I wish more people would. But if you do, keep your asbestos underwear on, and your firewall up.

MoonRose ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 3:14 PM

i'd say do it... but maybe to only the ones that state that they would like comments and critiques... if they put that they should be prepared for any kind of comment and/or criticism. i always put that on my gallery images (unless i was in a bad mood when i posted)... that i would like comments AND critiques... but rarely do people leave any.

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 3:22 PM

And hey, thanks for the feedback to everyone! It really means a lot. SndCastie raises an excellent point, though -- it needs to be respectful, and some people may not feel that I always operate in such a fashion. (ok, so maybe I sneak a few insults in now and then in the forums blush) so here's an example of what I would write. It is an actual piece of criticism on a specific image in the gallery: Nice piece! Biggest stand out is the near relief of the tatoos and the strong lighting structure (something I'm drawn to). The hair is quite good overall -- a bit too high on the forehead, perhaps, and where it crosses the arms it has a much more painterly look than it does elsewhere. There is an odd lighting artifact in the upper left that perhaps a touch of postwork would help -- not misplaced, but just seemingly out of sorts. The texturing brings the whole scene to life most strongly -- great use of bump maps -- and a wonderful use of the programs. on the sphere, the lighting at the top also seems just a tad off -- it looks good, but the reflection is too much directly overhead -- perhaps more internal or around it to soften the "glare". particularly like the shadowing along the legs -- really accentuates the whole pose, which is very good, very iconic (obviously the goal here). one last thing: the chains along the undersides of the breasts look somewhat "plastic" -- highlights on them are a bit too soft, too evenly spread. Now, assuming the text box has enough space for such a lengthy assessment (unproven thus far), would that be too much?

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

geep ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 3:38 PM

YES !!!

... and have a Merry Christmas ...
(or whatever you may celebrate)
... and a Happy New Year !!!

with Holiday cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

msg24_7 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 3:46 PM ยท edited Fri, 24 December 2004 at 3:49 PM

As far as my gallery goes... Go ahead... It's what I'm asking for :-)

I'd say, go ahead when people are asking for it.

Message edited on: 12/24/2004 15:49

Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

spedler ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 4:08 PM

"Now, assuming the text box has enough space for such a lengthy assessment..."

If I saw any of the comments you listed here, I would take them as they are clearly intended - constructive criticism to improve the image. No problem there at all.

This is strictly a hobby with me, but as with any hobby, I'd like to be good at it (long way to go yet!). So I would welcome such points. How else will I ever get better at this?

Steve

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 4:11 PM

Those sound like realistic comments to me. I can't imagine someone becoming offended at any of those. The only ones I would have a problem with are those who expect someone else to conform to their ideas. Believe it or not, I have seen people complain that it's another fairy, another nude, etc. Of all the comments the only one I've ever asked anyone to remove was on the piece my 5 year old did in MSpaint. While I didn't expect comments and let's face it, you can't critique a 5 year old playing in paint, I didn't feel it was the place for someone to show their disdain at it's existance and my choice to display it.

Good luck on your new venture. :)

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 4:21 PM

yes, Kendra! See, while I don't mind seeing all the "wow, that's great, you are soooo amazing and talented and luv you" stuff, I do mind the "bah -- it sucks" stuff (aside from being pretty out of bounds given that little admonition right there, lol). As for a critique of a 5 year olds work, well, one does have to take the subject matter into hand. I am running into one issue, though. I'm sorta looking at some of the work of those who reply here. There is one who's work is very beautiful, and I'm certain there are things to improve on it, but I don't know enough of the subject matter to effectively comment. May have to learn a little here myself ;)

Argon18 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 4:45 PM

I'd like more constuctive suggestions on the images in my gallery. The examples that you offered were good at detailing the problems, but were you also going to offer more details to solutions in your comments? (The postwork and lighting suggestions were a good start) I know that is harder and more time consuming to do but it would achieve your goal better and I would think less ppl would be able take it the wrong way if you also suggested ways to fix the things that you thought were wrong with it.

Click to get a printed and bound copy plus T-shirts, mugs and hats

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 4:49 PM

When possible, certainly. If not directly in the comment, then perhaps through links. My biggest issue is that I am, er, wordy... So an explanation of how to achieve something may not be possible within the confines of the commentary. However, I will most certainly look at additions that might allow that...

Argon18 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 5:00 PM

Well I did a test comment for you and I got 7,603 characters into a comment that's almost 1,500 words so I doubt space is going to be much of a problem.

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 5:01 PM

well then, heckfire -- I'll start throwing the whole mess in!!!

geoegress ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 5:19 PM

"Opinions are like asshole- everyone has one and most of them stink" Take any 2 ppl to comment and you'll get 2 different answers I reciently learned when asking for crit of an image! Unfortunatly, this is not a science, so your opinion is no more valid then anyone elses. It's an art. Not being a science means there are no hard and fast rules and techniques that can be quantified and passed along to others. "Unless it's specifically noted in the description that they only want glowing praise, then they may recieve a comment. (obviously, I'll only comment as I feel appropriate)." This is playing with fire. But I'll grant you- it'll be entertaining to see how fast they lable you a troll, lol.

Byrdie ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 5:22 PM

Commentary/advice like that in my gallery I would pay for -- if I had any money left after Christmas shopping day. Unless you'd take some of Geep's Poser cash? LOL! Sure, go for it.

elizabyte ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 5:26 PM

I think Renderosity needs an option box like deviantArt has, to indicate whether the person wants real feedback or just mindless praise. If I knew someone actually wanted input, I'd be happy to give it, but until and unless I know for sure, I'm just not inclined to give it. Asbestos undewear aren't very comfortable. ;-) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 5:39 PM

Which is directly to the point. I've never shied away from fire (I'm a red headed aries, and was born on april fool's day. Sorta started off playing with fire...). But I'd like to know just how pervasive that kindling is. If I'm going to be waltzing through a bonfire, I'd at least like to know how thick the asbestos suit mentioned earlier should be. "...It's an art. Not being a science means there are no hard and fast rules and techniques that can be quantified and passed along to others..." This is a mixed bag. I agree that critiquing is an art. A good assessment may be utterly worthless to a specific artist, but it might not be to another -- it will depend on how close to the original intent of the artist the critic comes in their observations. That's part of the trick. However, I disagree that there are no hard and fast rules or techniques. There are always several ways of doing something, perhaps, but it is the act of doing it that is what would be offered principally. And that is usually hard and fast. It's unlikely, for example, that I would comment on renders that seek to achieve utter realism. For one, I do not see it as an artistic challenge so much as it is a technical one. Which is not to say that realism shouldn't be involved, but that there is a point where the act of trying for photographic realism moves beyond the goal of art as I see it. Given that, I'm unlikely to comment much on those aspects. Someone who's perception of that goal is different from mine would be more suited to an assemssment than I. But that's part of the point of an "art community". It's to help each other improve and grow as artists, not to simply pat each other on the back and say good job. Sometimes you need a prickly sort to step up and say "hey, it's not bad, but you could do it better this way". Someone who wants to improve their work, be it a hobby or a trade, is going to listen. Listening is not the same as acting, of course -- I expect plenty of my comments to be off the mark from the intent of the artist. It is unavoidable -- I am not the artist, and did not make the piece. But would they find value in my comments? Well, we'll have to see. I've dabbled a bit thus far today with a few here in this thread already. I too, am an artist. It stings to for poorly done crticism to be given. But I do listen to all of it. (sometimes perhaps too much, othertimes perhaps too little) I've benefitted from it, however, more often than I have not. And I'd like to be able to return that favor. And byrdie -- brace yerself, gal...

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 5:40 PM

I don't mind constructive criticism or a decreased rating when it is fair. But its tough getting a "good" or "great" and a critique sometimes when you see things that are not as well done with excellent ratings, more hits, and more praise. Maybe its just me, but when you try to break the pin-up mold, I think you open yourself up to a lot more criticism. I just wish there was more consistency. Don't want you to think that in any way, your idea is bad though...

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 5:47 PM

PBM -- you know, I agree. And, well, you told me a great deal right there that I needed to know, and thank you for it. Although I'm just one crazy gal, I can at least try. Given that, I will do one thing, however, that I should have done before, and that's avoid rating the image. I will vote for them still as I see fit (hey, that's still my perogative, and my votes will hardly EVER make a difference, lol), but, well, I will not rate the image. (I've always rated stuff according to my feeling. A good from me is saying a lot! But, I know that there is much invested in these images, and when people step outside the realm of what they have been doing to be greeted by such, well, it makes one think if you did the right thing, and then step up and ask to see just how bad an idea it was...)

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 5:52 PM

you can tell me I suck (I know..but I'm getting better..well, a little) as long as you tell me why

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Argon18 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 5:52 PM

A lot of ppl have different ways of learning, around here it does seem to be more from example and practice, since they see something cool and want to try to do it themselves. I've seen a lot of ppl here improve that way Part of it might be because of the lack of consistency in the rankings in comments or it might be because some or a lot more visual than literal (It is a visual medium after all) and they don't interpret the comments the same way they were intended

chrislenn ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 6:01 PM

In real life, I was taught when looking at someones work start with praise end with praise and put what needs to be said in the middle - people are more likely to listen. I love honest feedback on my work and have some commentors who will speak up and say what could be improved. I have done this on other peoples work to be thanked by the person but jumped on by their friends makes me hesitant to do it more often. I would say go for it and welcome you to my gallery lol I am a thick skinned Aussie and not easily upset in fact it is from critiques that I have learned what I have :o)

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Pee on it and walk away

Jackson ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 6:04 PM

...a bit full of ourselves aren't we? "I'm a rather opinionated lass. I try to be honest, direct, straightforward, and impersonal. One of the things I'm looking at possibly trying to do in the new year is to comment more on images in the galleries. If I do, however, I will not do so in the "usual" form. I will take that small admonition in the box directly above the comment window quite seriously, and attempt to offer constructive criticism. However, if I do, I'm likely to set off a few folks there. no, not a few folks. A lot of them. I would do this stating with the Hot 20, of course. Being what is supposed to be a represnetation of the most popular images on the site (not the best, mind, you, but the most popular), one would expect they would be the best place to start. Now, this is good news for some folks -- if I were to do this, I would, of course, have less time to spend in the forum here. I can't believe it. You musta been drunk when you posted this.

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 6:12 PM

absolute visual -- and I consider that wholly in my studies. I'm looking at color, construction, form, lighting, texturing, blocking, method, concept, and presentation. The basics of what makes us all better. As I do that, I consider methods employed, programs used, the style of the artist, the medium in play. I am not going to consider popularity of the artist. Or even my particular feelings towards them as individuals. Nor will I stick to my personal tastes and my own "comfort zone" (if I did, that hot 20 would likely be the last place I would look, and the image reviewed in my example would not have been such). But, well, if the artist takes the time to say they DON'T want a real and honest appraisal, then I'm willing to go beyond that. But if they do not do so -- if that comment box is there, and nothing says otherwise -- then it is an invitation. And I may well take them up on it. So far, the count is 13 to 2. I've done a few so far, and no one has thrown terrible rocks, or told me I've bruised them so far. I'm hoping the gallery folks will catch the linking thread and respond to this as well -- I spot a couple who have, so there has been some attention. Again, thank you all so far for the comments and good discussion -- please, keep letting me know.

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 6:25 PM

A bit? hell no. Jackson, you know damn well I'm a LOT full of myself....

anniemation ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 6:28 PM

I would really appreciate feedback like this. Especially if it focuses on specific things good or bad, like a lighting artifact, hair, hurried postwork, or whatever. If anything, knowing that someone would actually say something about the flubs, I'd probably spend the extra time needed to fix the stuff that I know is wrong before uploading it. In general though, I think you should only comment like this if the person asks for it or you know that they are open to it.

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 7:06 PM

Go, go, go for it! I don't mind constructive critisim at all. As a matter of fact I think it helps to have someone view with a fresh eye and suggest improvements. That's how we work in our writing group. Even if the subject isn't of a paticular favorite style, honest critisim can be given. As for flamers, I ignore them. I know my work needs improvement and all suggestions are taken seriously and appreciated. Merry Christmas all.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
ย  ย  ย BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

MarianneR ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 7:08 PM
Online Now!

I'd be positively delighted by constructive critique. Looking at my own images feels like proofreading something I wrote myself. I may think it looks rather okay after staring at it for several hours but somebody else immediately sees the glaring errors. Also it is interesting to find out other peoples' reaction to my images - do they see what I think I put into it? As I'm just a beginning hobbyist I feel utterly unqualified to give critique except for the most obvious errors - like "her hand goes right through her hip" or something like that - and even then I feel a bit unsure - maybe they intended it to be that way lol

cagewench ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 8:11 PM

Just to note on what PBM had to say: "But its tough getting a "good" or "great" and a critique sometimes when you see things that are not as well done with excellent ratings, more hits, and more praise" I can't believe you've seen a "good" or "great" in any of the galleries, when I still allowed ranking, everything I posted was "excellent" and I think I've maybe seen one or two images on thsi site ranked less than excellent. I don't tend to bother using rankings when ppl allow them because I tend to think that rankings are crap ;> cara

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 8:16 PM

I'll admit that I often avoid rating and only leave nice comments even if I find the work appauling. In past, I looked at everything. Now, I only click on the images that look like the artist is doing something different than a typical pin-up. I wish there was a nice way of saying, "your picture might actually be a good composition if you took the time to complete it" to some of the naked Vicki people. That's what a lot of these pin-ups look like to me...incomplete. Great lighting, great texturing, great posing... but the lack of clothes sometimes makes it not come together. I kind of like ysaen using the "good" rating sparingly and for the things she truly likes. I know that when I see something that I think was well done, I would like to be able to use a lower rating than the highest possible sometimes. But at times, I think that might be impolite. At the same time, I see a lot of people rating images "excellent" on the basis on TNA. I've only recented started allowing my images to be rated again because of this. I think there needs to be a disclaimer on the gallery about the rating system urging those who use it to be fair. And I think ysaen's thread points out that there are those of us who are artists and truly want feedback, and then there are others who don't. I may start becoming a little more assertive with want I say in the galleries as far as constructive criticism in order to encourage some to take their art to another level...

cagewench ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 8:28 PM

I actually saw an image in one of the galleries after my above reply where the artist requested that ppl not be critical so I didn't even bother commenting.

I don't understand any real artist (whether or not they are hobbyist or professional) having that sort of need for only praise, but whatever floats their boat I suppose.

I whole-heartedly support ynsaen's choice in being honest, but then, I fully admit to having issue with the way some things are "judged" on this site (which I've been vocal about in various forums) and even wrote a semi-saucy poem about it called ROTFLMAO

:)

cara

Argon18 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 8:32 PM

Attached Link: I'm hoping this 1 will be up to standards

The level I've been trying to reach lately is good enough for a graphic design portfolio. I've never taken gallery comments very seriously since as geoegress said everyone has an opinion, but when it comes to showing ppl that you want to hire you it's a bit different. Most of the time art directors won't give any kind of feedback on whether they like your work or not so it's kinda hard to tell where you need improvements. Here is 1 I just completed that I'm planning on including. I also did 1 for Xmas that I thought fit in well and hopefully will impress ppl that are looking for this type of design while entertaining http://argon.glittzzzy.topcities.com/web/xmas/XmasFun.htm

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 9:06 PM

My personal preference, which I believe it is shared by many who post in the galleries, is to send suggestions in a private message rather than publically posting UNLESS the person has specifically asked for constructive criticism. If it's a very, very minor point to be made, and it's included in an otherwise very positive comment, publically probably is fine, but it sounds like you are interested in ripping people a fair amount and all you'll accomplish is creating alot of hurt feelings. Most people don't like to be criticized publically but are more than happy to listen privately, particularly if coming from someone they respect. I'm not sure what your motivations are for wanting to do this, but those are my two cents (worth just about that much). Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all here at Renderosity!

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 9:37 PM

Sometimes people post images here in the Poser forum asking for criticism. Why not have a forum just for that? You'd know clearly that the person wants some serious crits, no ambiguity or doubts and the forum format lensd itself to more interactivity, posting suggested improvements etc. moreso than the gallery I think. It weould probably also cut down on the purely trollistic comments.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

PoisenedLily ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 9:59 PM

Well Im not so sure I can tell you what you should or shouldn't do. Hell it's never worked before has it ;) lol I can say that I've had the privilege of Elle critiquing(sp?) some of my works and Im all the better for it. She's never been crass or rude, she's told me what she likes and doesn't like..plain and simple. Nothing personal about it. But I like that. So theres one opinion..may not help ya much as I know a few gallery people who would be offended at your above example. But I know I would prefer it alot more than I get it now. Isnt the whole point of enabling comments to hear what OTHERS think of your work? If you dont want to really know then dont enable comments...just my 2 cents! HUGS and Happiest Holidays to you all! Gina a.k.a Cimerone

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:01 PM

or is that anasazi? (Ok, sorry, it was bad. I'm crazy, Weird humor) in any case: The reason for doing it in the comment area is that that, specifically, is what the comment area is for. The comments are not simply meant to aid the work under discussion, but also those who come along and view the work as well. Putting them in IM, aside from not affording me the requisite space, would defeat that purpose. also, it would not be my style. Aside from an occasional OT rejoinder, I do not use IM for such things, and frown on its use that way. I am not interested in "ripping people a fair amount". The reason I supplied the example was to show the sort of effort I meant. I am, however, aware that there are people who do "gallery stuff" and people who do "forum stuff" and that the "gallery people" (strictly generalizations, mind you) have cliques that are, well, less inclined to allow something approaching honest feedback on images. If I start this, I won't be too concenred about cliques and sentiments. I will be concerned with providing intelligent and thoughtful remarks designed specifically to improve the image. The person behind it will ultimately matter none at all -- meaning I'm not out to do it for political motivations. And as for my motivations: It is based on my desire to help improve the overall poser community. It is here that the greatest impact an be made and felt. Therefore it is here that I will do it. It is nothing more than I would do anywhere else, and nothing less than I already have done elsewhere. It is, however, something I would do -- that is, I would make an earnest effort at doing it. And your two cents must be in today's value, but only spendable a hundred years ago :) -- their value is much greater than you give them credence.

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:05 PM

Excellent idea! Fully support it! However, until the powers that be see the wisdom of such a place, well, I'll have to make due witht he mechanism already in place for such a thing.

dlfurman ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:08 PM

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM: Your post in #11 is on target. Commendation before correction. Set the artist (we are all artists here) at ease. Assure the artist that the hard work is appreciated (unless someone has that advanced beta MAKE ART button), and where adjustment is needed. (I was going to say correction, but this is art we are discussing here and that is a subjective beast). Note that for thouse confounded shoulders, elbows and knees, there are post work options (so that should not be a major concern). I would for one like more instruction. I can ask for tips, but my postwork is not going to look like someone elses.(Despite my attempts to divine how some of that wonderful stuff is done for some images. I have Photoshop too and my stuff doesn't come out like some of the really spectacular stuff in the galleries. I am also aware that certain artists have a "style" or manner (trick? procedure? action(s), Make Art button) that they'd rather keep to themselves as a "trademark". Perhaps that is a separate issue.) Go for it, but as in your response in #11. If one leaves the comments field on, respond. If THEY don't like it.... If THEY thank you....

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:08 PM

not having space available at the link provided, I would be willing to offer some suggestions here, if you are serious.

Argon18 ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:14 PM

Go for it, either here or in the guestbook on that web page (the button with the pen on it under the email button) would be fine.

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:30 PM

oh, it absolutely has to be constructive. That's the entire point to this. Anythign else would be one of those icky cow dung things that I just can't stand. And while I might mention the occasiona shoulder droop and stuff, it would be because it was something that was just too glaringly there. And style is something that, in general, I would try to grasp. A couple of my personal friends have a very distinctive and recognizable style to their work that makes it instantly recognizable as something of theirs. When asked by them to give my impressions, that's something I have to take into account -- it's the image that's the subject, not the maker of it. For tricks and advice, as I noted earlier, I will try to give some. Your particular postwork skills are far in excess of my own -- but then, I strive to avoid postwork at all costs. So my tricks would be more technical within the concept of using the programs. Although if I do hear of a cool trick, I'll be sure to pass it on!

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:45 PM

ok. The flash is making it difficult for navigation of the site, so I need to know if you have put the image up here in the galleries (assuming you can). also, it would be somewhat lengthy. Your design strengths are satisfactory, but your compositional skills need some work. I have some ideas, but to really be able to illustrate them effectively, I would need to focus on a specific image which is still fairly fresh to you creatively, that you could go in and look at while referencing my comments.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 10:50 PM

"or is that anasazi?" hehehe, sorry, I'm not smart enough to understand what that means... "I am, however, aware that there are people who do "gallery stuff" and people who do "forum stuff" " I agree, there are cliques, but they exist in both the galleries and the forums. I don't know you, so I guess it's just your style to offer opinions to people. I've only been here for about a year and I don't know alot of people and spend very little time in the forums. I'm sure you have a following here. From what what I've seen, the forums are a bit of a free-for-all and people's feelings aren't always of much concern when posting opinions. For myself, if I know that I may well hurt someone's feelings with my opinions, I prefer to keep it private. Regarding the space limitations of PM, gosh isn't it something like 5000 characters? I would think you ought to be able to distill your thoughts on an image down to 5000 characters. Some people who post images are not trying to be artistic, they're just trying to have some fun and share their efforts with the friends they have here. Why intrude on that? Still, even now that I have said all that, if you really feel it's your place to go through the galleries and "help" people, then I wish you well. Merry Christmas!

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

ynsaen ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 11:15 PM ยท edited Fri, 24 December 2004 at 11:17 PM

anasazi are a cliff-dwelling people of the US southwest that pretty much had a thriving and pretty cool civilization quite a ways back that still holds a fascination for many people. The navajo and hopi, pueblo and paiute, and hohokam peoples all have ancestry that heads back to them at some point. One of my favorite "get aways" is one of their lesser ruins. Very quiet, peaceful and inspirational.

It's not smarts. Only reason I know about them is becuase I live where I do. If I lived elsewhere, odds are they would never be known to me, either.

"I don't know you, so I guess it's just your style to offer opinions to people."

True enough. Renderosity was started, and is set up, to mimic the RW "Artist Colonies", in many ways, where the purpose of being there is to expose yourself to other artists in the hopes of improving your craft and helping others to improve.

"I'm sure you have a following here."

I'm not certain it would be called a following. The people following me often have pitchforks, torches, and rope.

*"From what what I've seen, the forums are a bit of a free-for-all and people's feelings aren't always of much concern when posting opinions.

For myself, if I know that I may well hurt someone's feelings with my opinions, I prefer to keep it private."*

Sometimes, yes, they are. The vast majority of the time, however, the opposite is true. There are a heck of a lot more posts that are simply someone needing help and getting it, or a few folks joking around, or someone finding out something cool and sharing it than the flamefests. 95% or the time, at least, it is the feelings of others that drive the concerns in the forums.

In effect, I am extending that sense of helping others to the galleries.

I'm just hoping I don't take too much of the 5% otherwise with me.

On the otherhand, I won't worry about hurting someone's feelings. My assessments won't be personal. If people choose to take them as personal attacks, then they won't actually be looking at what I say, they will be looking at something else.

And, of course, if they don't want such things, they do not have to enable the comments, or they simply need to state only praise, please.

IM's do not have 5000 character limits. They have 2000 character limits. And, frequently, no, I cannot distill my thoughts accurately down that far. I never did take that evening news journalism class, darn it. 5,000 think I can manage -- which is apparently the limitations of the comment field.

Now, what's really cool, is that as you were typing your response, I was starting on one called in defense of those only wanting praise.

and then I read your post, and you said:

"Some people who post images are not trying to be artistic, they're just trying to have some fun and share their efforts with the friends they have here. Why intrude on that?"

And it is exactly the point i was in the process of making.

And I do not want to intrude on that. However, there is no methodology for me to be able to distinguish those particular people from others that is built into the renderosity software. So it will be up to them to signify through some means that they are doing that -- either by not enabling the comments field or by making some sort of statement to that effect in their credits or what have you.

or, of course, they could realize that the comments are not intended to interrupt their play or distract them, and simply ignore them.

The rest of my post, saying the same thing, though, was about how their doing that is perfectly fine, and that they should not be condemned or looked down on. Becuase often, from their wonderful enthusiasm, one can learn neat little tricks and get some cool ideas -- and besides, there's never, ever anything wrong with play.

We all need to do more of it.

I just don't always do it well with others. My doctors say it's congenital...

Message edited on: 12/24/2004 23:17

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.