Sat, Sep 21, 11:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Okay, another Ray Dream UV question

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 10:50 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 12:34 PM

file_143528.jpg

this may be a multipost questions, because I'm not sure how to attach multiple pics to a post. I made the object in RDS 5.04. Exported as an Wavefront object. Brought into Steve Cox's UV Mapper. Exported the texture map, as shown

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 10:51 AM

file_143529.jpg

Here is the object created in RDS.

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 10:53 AM

Here is the object, imported from UVMapper back into RDS. the object itself imported with no problems (once I puzzled out the right settings), but when I applied the map, well... you can see what's going on. The question: how can I tease out the parts of the object on the texture map in UV Mapper? or am I SOL?

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 10:54 AM

file_143530.jpg

Oops. Here's the shaded object.

brenthomer ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 11:11 AM

hmm..its been a bit but I have some questions for you.. Did you use the exact type of map in RD as you did in UVM? IE did you make a planar map in UV but apply it in RD as cyclander map? From the looks of you picture, it looks as if you may just have it all applied funny.

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 11:33 AM

I didn't check that, the planar v. cylindrical map. But basically what I did was trace the shapes in the t-map from UV Mapper in photoshop. In UVM i simply imported the object, then exported the texture map as a pict file. Just used the defaults. In photoshop I colored the areas that looked like they belong together. But as you can see from the map in the first post, some of those groups appear to cross over each other.

ClintH ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 5:21 PM

Oh man... Gray, Bring the OBJ file in UV Mapper. Go to Edit then New UV Map then Box. See if that helps out. It should give you all 6 sides laid out real nice and 2D. Let me know if this help or not. Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Steve Cox ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 9:53 AM

Which version of the OBJ importer are you using with RDS? (Go to "Help->About Extensions->3D Import->OBJ") If it's not the latest one (I'm using 5.0.3) I don't think you can import models with multiple UV coordinates per vertex. On import, try selecting each option for "Create RDS objects as:" (Vertex Primitives or Simple Meshes. Sorry, I can't remember which you need to use to get multiple UVs per vertex) One of them should fix the problem. Also, as Clint suggests, you might want to use box remap while in UVMapper to make working with the texture map a little easier... HTH, Steve

ClintH ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2001 at 4:52 PM

Hi Steve, Thanks for posting. Nice to see you in the Carrara forum! :) Clint

Clint Hawkins

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

graylensman ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 10:22 AM

Okay, I've got OBJ importer and exporter version 5.0. Also, running UVM 0.27a, the Mac beta. Could that also be a problem? I went and made a map based on the box template, and I found that the white edges between the panel sides showed up on the map on the object. So, I dunno. I sort of get the feeling that there's something simple here that I just can't get my pea-brain around...

ClintH ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 11:38 AM

OK - In RDS check the mapping mode for the object. I dont remember how to do this in RDS...Its been while. See if you can set the mapping mode to box. Clint

Clint Hawkins

(Zakk Wylde (2007))

graylensman ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 12:49 PM

yeah, did that some time back. Didn't work, at least not with satisfactory results. Thanks to everyone who's banging heads against the wall with me!!

ClintH ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 1:33 PM

gray - Send me the OBJ if you like... I'll run it through UV Mapper and see what I get... chawkins@gw.total-web.net If you dont want to thats cool as well. Clint

Clint Hawkins

(Zakk Wylde (2007))

Steve Cox ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 3:26 PM

Okay, I just reinstalled RDS 5.5 on my iBook (it's been a little while!) The version of the OBJ export/import filter I'm using is 5.0.3 (Apple->About Extensions->3D Import->OBJ import") same as the Windows version. If you're using 5.0 I think you're out of date. Are you getting the option "Create RDS objects as:" when you import? I checked and I think that you want to select "Simple Meshes" to allow more than one UV coordinate per vertex when you import. If you want to send me a copy as well, I'd be glad to take a look at it. Steve stevecox@optonline.net Ps. thanks for the welcome Clint =)

graylensman ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2001 at 8:42 AM

Ah Ha!! I am a step closer to getting it... Steve, i stumbled upon your tutorial for UV Mapper Mac. Found out how to split the map apart for all the sides and stuff. Very slick! Very simple! (duh..) I'm now experimenting with the kind of map - tried planar, but that still left odd gaps and stuff when applied to the obj in RDS. But in Poser 4, the map applied to the OBJ just fine. Can you direct me to where I can find the OBJ export/import version 5.0.3? Thanks again for all your help!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.