Thu, Sep 19, 6:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: What's wrong with this image?

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 1:10 PM · edited Fri, 13 September 2024 at 11:07 AM

file_305697.jpg

i showed this in the Simon thread, but i'll repost it here. i don't want to ask for critiques there. it's my first studio shot that i took last night. i've been studying it and i can't quite figure out what's wrong with it. Before i trash it and start over, I'd like to know where i went wrong so i can do a better job of taking it next time. aperture: f/8 shutter speed: 1/15 sec. ISO: 64 metering mode: spot focal length: 30 mm tripod & remote used. i can't remember if i manually focused on this one or not. Some i did; some i didn't. I don't see that info on the EXIF info. Anyway, something about the lighting looks off on this but i can't figure out what it is. I cropped it so the subject wasn't in the center but i don't think i care for the crop either. Focus doesn't seem to be very good on the cookies. I used aperture f/8 to try to get all my subject in better focus. i can't close it anymore with my cam. I'd really like to have your honest feedback on this. I don't like this image at all but if i reshoot it under the same conditions, i'm not quite sure what to change other than moving the lights and/or my position. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 1:12 PM · edited Fri, 18 November 2005 at 1:21 PM

file_305698.jpg

here's another try. i didn't crop this one. lighting is darker. i thought maybe i had the first one too bright. i don't like this one either. edit: i converted this to b/w using channel mixer. red channel: 62 green channel: 35 blue channel: 33

Message edited on: 11/18/2005 13:21

azy ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 1:27 PM

I think that you need to photograph the whole glass I don't think that cutting the glass stem in half helped or leaving the stem out and just shoot the glass bowl it self. Hope this helps

Eggiwegs! I would like... to smash them!

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 1:29 PM

file_305699.jpg

color version. i filtered the noise out with Neat Image. this image is flat and lifeless. boring. any idea how to rectify that?

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 1:35 PM · edited Fri, 18 November 2005 at 1:40 PM

file_305700.jpg

thanks so much, Richard! Appreciate your input. Here's one i tried like that. No postwork except to resize. EXIF info the same except focal length is 18 mm. Whatcha think? edit: wrinkles certainly are distracting. not sure about the shadow from the glass. i need to get a better stand. a pretty doiley would help the presentation.

Message edited on: 11/18/2005 13:40

azy ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 1:47 PM

Presentation is everything. Try white card instead of cloth or black velvet

Damia ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 1:50 PM

file_305701.jpg

Okay....I know when I play with someone's image, it's not what they are looking for, but I just can't help myself. So, if this isn't something you don't like, you can say so. I'm not real good at this, so that's why I keep doing it....practice. :) You can try different angles and lighting too. Maybe something dark on the bottom to match the backdrop? I think it has a lot of potential though. I love the glass, and of course what it's filled with is so yummy! :)

~Damia~ LeviathanPhotography

Zacko ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:14 PM

Okay..heres my honest opinion. Change the content of that glass!!! I love the way the glass looks in the first one. It looks so darn classy. And i like that compo way better than the last one...i dont mind it being cut at all. But that bread or whatever it is, really is damaging it. Doesnt fit at all. Fill it with some red whine instead and youll see that it will be great. #:O)

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:15 PM

Richard, you're exactly right! Presentation IS everything! Can you clarify? Do you mean use a white card for the background or for below the glass? Background i used is Chroma green screen. Damia, you're more than welcome to play with my images, and i appreciate you showing me your version. i'm not very good at doing postwork, and i agree...practicing helps me improve. i like how you cropped it, but i'm not sure that i care for blurring out the bottom part. Makes sense to do that since the bottom part of my image looks crappy with those wrinkles and stuff. It does help there, but i'm just not sure i care for that. I think you've got a good idea. I gotta leave for work in a minute. i'll take another look tonight and see. That's a good idea to have the bottom match the backdrop. i wish we could afford to buy those backgrounds that start and the ceiling and that you can pull out on the floor. Kemal and i have been wanting to get to the fabric store to buy some material but just haven't had time. maybe something black underneath would help like you said. i guess i just have to experiment like you suggested. and trying different angles and lighting would be helpful. i did try that last night. i might try shooting this during the daytime too and see what difference that makes. Thanks so much for your input, guys! sure do appreciate it! :)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:18 PM

file_305702.jpg

Like I said before, I like it. Not saying this is the answer, but I thought I'd play with it a little. I cropped per Richard's suggestion, then did some selective coloring. Hope you like it. :)

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:19 PM

crossed with you, Andreas. Thanks so much for your input, Andreas. Ok, i'll give it a try. I agree...i don't like how those cookies look in the glass either. I figure i must be doing something wrong with the lighting or in shooting it. I made this image for Marlene's Simon thread AND to start practicing with our lights. I think you have a good suggestion about filling the glass with something else. I'll try it and see what happens. Thanks! :)

tvernuccio ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:21 PM

Kort, i DO like that selective coloring! really helps a lot i think. I'll have to reply more later to you. we gotta hit the road and get our butts to work! Thanks! :) Maybe you can tell me some details about that selective coloring!!! thanks again! :)

Drea71 ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:25 PM

file_305703.jpg

I'm relieved I'm not the only one who likes trying out some postwork on images that are not my own ;-( I liked what Damia did - except for the green colour that was still "there". So I grabbed the "all over"-shot and tried something myself. Unfortunately I didn't read your comment about the blurring before I was finished, Sheila, so that's something I tried as well as trying to darken the "floor" (which of course is possible as well) was not on my "quick try"-list :-( Drea

azy ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:32 PM

Attached Link: http://www.pictureperfect.co.za/building%20your%20own%20infinity%20curve.pdf

I'm no good at explaning things but what you need is a infinity curve I'm try to fine a web site that will explane it or maybe some one on here can? The nearest thing I can find click on the link

Onslow ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:34 PM · edited Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:37 PM

Blimey you do pick them don't you !
This is incredibly difficult to get right.

If you decided to go for a white or light background I would use a sheet of art card A1 size not too thick so it bends nicely into an infinity curve. Light the whole thing as evenly as you can, outside in the shade of the house if necessary. Cut another sheet of black coloured art card in half and roll pieces into a cylinder and tape. That way you can place a black cylinder each side of the shot, but not in the frame. This will give you a black outline reflected in the edges of the glass. Nearly always essential for all glass photography, or the edges just fade into the background. Personally I would take the shot up close with just the bowl but that is personal choice. Most commercial food shots are composite images simulating different depths of field to add interest and emphasis, but they maybe for later.

If you are going for a black or dark background hopefully you have a glass topped table :). Same background infinity card, but this time cut a hole in the card the size of the bottom of the glass. Stand the glass over the hole and put a light shining upwards under the table. This way the light will shine up through the glass and the edges will show as white against the darker background therefore again defining the edges. You will also need to light the top rim at the same time as lighting the contents with as softer light as possible.

Hope some of that helps - it is very difficult shot and one to do lots of experimenting on.

Message edited on: 11/18/2005 14:37

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:38 PM

Not much to add really, I used your second image, cropped it, adjust levels a bit, sharpened a touch, then used the eye color replacement tool in Photoshop and picked a color that was similar to the original and painted it in. Not as yummy looking as the real cookie color, but still kinda neat I think. :) I like that last one of yours there Drea!

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 2:52 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2267645

Just for reference RANDY RIVES thread on the infinity background/stage! Go get some poster board in various colors... it works wonders!

Onslow ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 3:00 PM

Yes thats the stuff - I call it art card here maybe it should be called poster board :)

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 3:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1091674

Sheila, I actually like the lighting in the 1st image! The crop is what bothers me, as my eyes WANT to see the whole glass! Also, it looks slightly tilted to the left (just enough to notice) I think a black background is the way to go too...white will blowout some of the glass details (IMO) My recent gallery image (at the link) shows a "blue" glass against a white background....just to give you an idea of that look!

Zacko ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 3:24 PM

That one is a true beauty Joe!!! #:O)

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 3:52 PM

Blue beauty indeed!

cynlee ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 4:20 PM

out of all these.. i like kort's rendition.. think it works out well putting the emphasis on the cookies & less on the glass, not missing the stem in it

Margana ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 4:37 PM

Excellent shot Joe!Beautifully done! Not much I can add here Sheila.But I'm learning just from reading the responses.Thanks for posting this thread!

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

DJB ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 9:26 PM

Everything has been done here. I do like the images where it is blurred on bottom.Perhaps a mic of Danielle's and Drea's Having it cut off just seems like that. Cut off. For some reason Sheila...I think it is the crystal glass that bounces shadows arounf and would look better with something else beside it. I do love those biscotti though.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

FuzzyShadows ( ) posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 11:59 PM

If I were going to try something different it would be to liven up the contents of the glass. Perhaps have one with a bite taken out of it? I also don't know if I like that one bread that is flat facing the viewer. It does stand out, but for some reason I think it might be better placed. My two cents worth, keep the change!

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 12:17 AM · edited Sat, 19 November 2005 at 12:18 AM

Attached Link: http://www.smithvictor.com/products/index.asp?id=8&s1=Shooting+Tables

Richard (Azy), thanks so much for that link on infinity curves! I appreciate it!

Richard (Onslow), Thanks for explaining all that and for the detailed information. You're tellin' me i picked a hard one!!! Let's blame Marlene! It's all her fault! I did this 'cause of that Simon thread! LOL! :)

Nah, i don't have a table with glass on it. Actually we don't even have a kitchen table. Our apartment is so small we don't have room for one. :(

I've included a link to show you a shooting table i would LOVE to have! the cheapest one is $190. The one with the lights is $400. If i had one of these i wouldn't have to mess with making one of these homemade contraptions. :)

Here's another link to another shooting table that's much more affordable (just $52.00). I put this on my wish list! :)

Click Here!

Joe, thanks for that link to Randy's thread. I totally forgot about that! Yeah, you can definitely get away with a pretty cheap set up! i'll have to get me some poster board and try this until i'm able to get a shooting table. :)

Joe, i kinda does look it might be tilted slightly. :( Now that's weird. Kemal just bought me the tripod of my dreams yesterday, and it has one of those leveler things on it. You know, you just look to see if the red dot is in the circle and if it is, that means it's leveled. i checked it to be sure. hmmmm, wonder what happened. thanks for telling me Joe. I'll have to fix that.

Joe, your gallery image is INCREDIBLE!! thanks for the tips and your feedback!

Andrea, thanks for trying your hand at my image! I appreciate it! i like how you took the green out, but the cookies look a bit darker than what i'd like, but that could be fixed easily enough. :) thanks again!!!

Doug, i think you're right...maybe a cross between Damia's and Andrea's. I think you're right about having the whole glass in the image. thanks for your feedback!

Cindy, i agree...i like Kort's version best so far; however, i do want to do this with the entire glass in the image. Thanks for your input! :)

Marlene...this is all your fault girl!!! winks ;) All because of that Simon thread!! :)

Kort, thanks for telling me how you did it. :)

FuzzyShadows, That's a really great idea you came up with to liven up the contents!!! and thanks for the suggestion on moving the cookie. i think you're right.

Wow, you guys are all awesome! thanks so much for all your suggestions, feedback, and help and stuff!!! You're the best! :)

Message edited on: 11/19/2005 00:18

kimariehere ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 2:21 AM

i love your orgianl shot shelia it is sooo beautiful!!its a keeper :O)

kimmers ♥ :O)

coolj001 ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 4:32 AM

What's wrong with this image is that I see yummy cookies and I can't get to them. Now I am licking my moniter and drooling all over my keyboard. Other than that I love the photo :-)

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 9:28 AM

thanks, Kimmers & Jeff! glad u guys like!!! Jeff, you're silly!!! :) u must have a bit of a sweet tooth too, eh? :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.