Sun, Sep 15, 11:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Want to see Bryce survive all other newer programs?

fpfrdn3 ( ) posted Wed, 15 March 2006 at 9:40 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 10:54 AM

Yes Bryce is not C4D,or Lightwave or Maya, Vue etc..etc. I have been around 3d apps for a long time, IMO its about what an artist DOES with the program, simple or complex as they may be(speaking of complex..Maya anyone?). And yes this is true in most cases. Having used many different softwares, I always look to the ones that keep it SIMPLE yet strong. Bryce is such a program. Given it needs a few tweaks or needed features(stress -needed- not competing features). Bryce should not be changed at all to compete with the larger programs. Why, you ask?....well again, because its very easy to get into, not to mention faaaar cheaper. Start to throw in those big features and watch the simplicity and your $$ money fly out the window. :) People want to much from Bryce , forgetting how powerful it already is and theres a huge wishlist of features in some forums that I find laughable. Anyways , to answer the subject question, just keep Bryce easy, stable, cheaper and in the public eye/community(not like some other character animation packages I wont mention ;-) and Bryce will be here to talk about in 2012. Aggree/disagree?...opinions welcome.

aprilgem ( ) posted Wed, 15 March 2006 at 10:14 PM

Hm. Maybe a SuperBryce should be developed for those who want to stick with a familiar program but also want to grow from the consumer level to the pro level?

Dann-O ( ) posted Wed, 15 March 2006 at 11:10 PM

I beleive it should be improved. I don'w want it to becoem soemthing it is not. Simple little tweaks. 1. An optional scanline renderer for times when you can't wait or want to do an animation. 2. Some more import otions like IDGES this will make it a good choice for people doing acrhitectureal work. 3. Displacement maps. Would be so cool to have that. 4. Some better ligthing models like GI. What I don't want is a full on character animation or a poly sub modeler these things are nice but it would compleatly change the nature of bryce. My ideas would be for the most part seamless another option in the or two but you could keep the interface the same just a few little things.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

ddaydreams ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 1:38 AM

Yep keep it stable, simple, fun, useful, cheap. throw in radiosity and support multiprocessors to pick up renderspeeds.Maybe a demystified DTE that at least 1000 people can fully understand. "Not just Johnathan Allen" and 2 others. With all DTE funtionality intact. Yes A DTE that even I and my sluggish brain can make full use of. If a lot more is wanted, there's other programs right now that have most of what brycers are waiting for in Bryce and going to be waiting very long.Like carrra 5 which except for price which ain't bad for what it does has pretty much the whole bryce wish list right now. I love my Bryce, always will. But I got impatiant must have radiosity and carraras fast rendering so got vue 5I, Zbrush, Carrara 5 Pro. Byrce is easier and more productive for me than all those programs. Bryce was ahead of it's time many years ago, maybe one day many years from know there will be a pro version that is again. My 2 cents. Your turn :]

Frank Hawkins/Owner/DigitalDaydreams

Frank_Hawkins_Design

Frank Lee Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery Store

My U.S.A eBay Graphics Software Store~~ My International eBay Graphics Software Store

Cyba_Storm ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 2:17 AM

For me put Bryce and Wings3d together, and speed up the renderer. Tweek its mapping/displacement system and I would be one happy little Bryser. I have used everything from Imagine and Real3d to Max and Maya, and a damn lot in between. I am still using Bryce while most of the others have been uninstalled. For me that says something.

Sans2012 ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 5:06 AM

Bryce is cool and everything, its a great starting point for many of us. I agree with your comment fpfrdn3 "People want to much from Bryce , forgetting how powerful it already is and theres a huge wishlist of features in some forums that I find laughable". If this is the case for some people then consider getting into one of the higher end packages:)

I never intended to make art.

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 9:43 AM · edited Thu, 16 March 2006 at 9:45 AM

Bryce stinks, It was a great program until Daz made it so you HAD to download and install Daz Studio..for someone just starting out and wanting to learn just Bryce and may not have a good size hard drive then it is a little unfair to them for daz to do this.

I know i could go on and complain about Daz doing this but in all honesty it isn't really Daz's fault, its the fault of thos users of Bryce that wanted D|S intergrated with Bryce...well done the lot of you, when Bryce dies off because some people that want to use JUST Bryce without installing another program and can't you can all say i had something to do with this happening...

Next time think before you go putting something on your wish list, it might not be perfect for everyone or the new users coming into the 3d world..

CD
(Heading for painkillers and back to bed)

Message edited on: 03/16/2006 09:45

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Ganthor ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 11:33 AM

Uh oh...I must be missing something here. I'm working with a copy of Bryce 5...the one before DAZ bought it. All I know is that I've been having more damn fun with it than I probably should. I can render in a matter of hours what would take me several weeks to paint on canvas, and that's a big plus in my book. I can even ship roughs to a client in under an hour if need be for them to okay or reject. To my way of thinking, it all depends on just exactly what you want to do with it and how fussy you really want to get. All I can say is that it works for me, and I'm a pretty demanding fellow.

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 11:44 AM

Ganther, i'm not saying its not a good program. I have Bryce 5 somewhere here i also have Bryce 4 which is on a disk laying on my desk, got Bryce 5.5 as well the one you need to install Daz studio with. Now because i want to use just Bryce and nothing else with it i have to install Daz Studio or Bryce will crash if i don't. So i have one of 3 choices, use bryce 4 or use Bryce 5 if i find it or i can install Bryce 5.5 along with Daz Studio which i no longer have a use for..going back to basic Bryce for a while..but hey i'm just one person at the moment, like i said wait till the new ones start to get interested in bryce and find they have to download and install Daz studio so that bryce doesn't crash on them...it will be good bye bryce, hello which ever program they go to.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Ganthor ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 12:08 PM

Not owning either Bryce 5.5 or Studio, I was unaware that you needed Studio to run Bryce. If that's true, it was a lunkheaded idea on somebody's part to link the two softwares together like that. Probably somebody in marketing's bright idea. As usual, leave it to somebody in marketing to screw up a good thing. Has anybody else had this problem, or has this been common knowledg for some time? I may reconsider buying 5.5...or even 6 when...if...it comes out.

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 2:29 PM
Forum Moderator

I thought it was a great idea to incorporate Studio with Bryce. I f***ing love it! I have more fun with Bryce now than I ever did with my clothes off. Any other kind of talk is just treason and heresy! Fang!!! Get the comfy chair!!!!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

fpfrdn3 ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 4:51 PM

Talk to anyone in 3d and they know about or have used Bryce. This is great, but now they say I wish it had insert feature here and start talking about the big name exepensive apps. Im not sure whether Bryce is an introductory 3d program or something more, but unless your already in a 3d career, Bryce is a good stepping stone without the learning curve. As for intergration with Daz/Studio I think more power to Bryce, as long as it doesn't interfere with it in a way that it changes it for worse. Ganthor, my version(Bryce 5.5c) bought off the shelf at a local comp store(in DVD case)installs files, I believe, for Studio, but you have the choice to hit that button on the interface or not. You could run Bryce and never see Studio(except for the button :).

Ganthor ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 5:21 PM

Thank you, fpfrdn3. That's what I really wanted to know. I don't have anything at all against Studio. I know nothing about it, really, so it's a big unknown to me. I have yet to download it and take a good look. Regardless, however, Studio isn't going to work as intended with my ancient copy of Bryce 5. All I'm concerned about is will Studio mess with a new copy of Bryce if I want it to or not. If what you say is true, I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 5:49 PM

Ganthor, mate believe me Studio is a great program to use for all those poser models out there and Daz3d.com has some fantastic models you can use in it then import them into Bryce via the D|S button on Bryce 5.5. It does make it easier in that sence instead of having to open studio pose the model then export it out of studion to import it in Bryce like we had to do with Bryce 5. @fpfrdn3, thanks for telling me about the choice of hitting that button..i'll search around for the disk with bryce 5.5 on it and install it. For now i must get some sleep, its 8am here and i have done an all nighter trying to chanse down a problem on a site..not finished with that yet but it can wait.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 7:56 PM

"Bryce stinks, It was a great program until Daz made it so you HAD to download and install Daz Studio" Lol, yeah, an extra 9mb on your hard drive. Hard to ignore. makes it impossible to actually use Bryce, lol. All sarcastic (and friendly!) jokes aside....;o) Just install Studio minimally, and I think its like 13mb, then there are other little bits of Studio content that can be manually deleted that takes it down to around 9mb on a hard drive, after that...it can be ignored if ya like. Not every Brycer uses figures at all that's for sure. Even I haven't used then that much in the past. Joking at the expense of CD now over...we now return you to your forum thread, already in progress.... AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 8:27 PM

CD just shakes his head...

deadman67 ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2006 at 10:25 PM

the only thing i would add to bryce is making vue mats & skys compatible the only thing i find what vue has that is better than beyce is there skys but thats my opinion and i don't speak for everybody on this and i would add more file formats that can be imported into bryce like max,maya "ect"

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 1:27 AM

I have found that taking Bryce and making realistic materials, skies, and clouds is harder to do from the start. Meaning after my years of using Bryce I feel like I am finally able to start cracking Bryce open to give me the realism I want. We need a way to bring out that realism immediately to new users. The one easiest way is to just make more realistic content and give it away fro the other users to use, which I will do. ;o) AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Ganthor ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 6:56 AM

And you do it very well indeed. I've been having some fun with the bronze mats you posted a short time ago. Not to mention the snow capped mountains mat as well. It was just the thing I needed to enhance a project.

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 7:10 AM
Forum Moderator

Bryce is like a Sudoku Puzzle. The first couple of numbers are real easy to find. As You progress you find things get harder and harder and you have to use some brain-power. But as you get to nearer to completion, things get real easy until finally, you wonder what all the fuss was about.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

fpfrdn3 ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 6:59 PM

@Ganthor/Crazy Dawg,ya welcome :). I am by no means an expert at Bryce, but since I picked it up in Nov. 2005 I have done more projetcs and created more land scapes than the other 4 way more expensive programs Ive bought. Look how many projects get done by new users and advanced ones alike, in very little time frames. I hope soon to be uploading some of my pics but I keep tweaking them so much (having fun here) I dont know when they be done to my liking ;-) @AS: yes Bryce could use some more content for realism but IMO they should concentrate on better manuals and interfaces that dont force you in to places you have to backtrack out of(ie. random materials etc. in DTE). I found the content, Bryce 5.5 had, when I bought it to be fine, but I had to dig deep to find out how they did em(not to metion SECRET short cut keys anyone). B6 is close and should improve on these I hope. o_o

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.