Mon, Jul 8, 12:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 7:10 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Information on the resizing images issue....

sahejaa ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 7:51 AM

Quote - Additionally, viewers will have the ability to choose between these three options: “Always show resized images regardless of artist preference”, “Show images according to artist preference”, “Always show full-sized images regardless of artist preference”. As is present already, viewers will be able to click on an image and view it full-sized.

Where is the place that i can chainge this , i cant find it

Hettie

elzoejam ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 7:58 AM

I can't either, the new layout is a bit baffling to me. The "edit my options" link when I am in the gallery doesn't have options to display pictures, where do I go to change it?

Angelsinger ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:07 AM

I visit one of the largest photography sites on the net; and it used to display all images at full size with an option to zoom out; then they changed it to "one size fits all". And that was that. Member input went unheeded.

All that to say... I truly appreciate all that you have been doing to accomodate us. In my impatience, I had forgotten that coding a site like this can be very complex, time consuming, even tedious. Changes for the better are always worth waiting for, but they cannot always transpire overnight.

When I read the post saying that you guys didn't listen, my mouth dropped... and I actually laughed out loud. I have to commend you, Stacey, not only for the professionalism of your response to that, but the sweetness of your demeanor. Your kindness shines through all you do, and I want you to know that it is visible, appreciated, and admired. The world could benefit from a lot more "Staceys".

To williamsn: Congrats on your new bike! Enjoy, be safe... and I envy you. lol

Thanks again everyone!! I love this site for good reasons!! :D

skiwillgee ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:13 AM

Quote - "The reason being is that the majority of Gallery users are happy. It may not seem like it from all the resizing threads, but in actuality the number of members complaining represents a relatively small percentage of the number of members using the Galleries. "

I personally think the resizing "options" is a great compromise.  I usually upload a size to just about fill most screens (yea!  artist option).  And I agree that not all peeps like the huge uploads.  I didn't have broadband when I started visiting R'osity, and sometimes I never viewed some of the art because of loooooooooonnng loading times.  I'd click a thumb and wait and wait and wait then abort because the file was so big.  I never complained because it was my slow dial-up,,, and,,, I think all would be surprised at how many viewers are not posting artist (example.. how many of you have had an image commented on and you tried to view their gallery only to find there wasn't one) 

In a nut shell, this compromise means "choices"  I think it is great.

Thank you Stacey and all involved 

yarddog ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:14 AM

Big Thanks!!!!!!!!!

petes ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:25 AM

sounds good Stacey. I never had a problem, but it's all about choice! appreciate the effort.

lightwave, photoshop, oreo's...tools of the trade.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:49 AM

Do i get this clear ...

The artist have options to give a preference to show his work fullsize always...

And the viewer can change it to no i wanna see it smaller .

I can set MY pref. to allways fullsize and dont need to click  for it a second time...

So i see a thumb in the gallery i like and ONE click and i see the FULLSIZE image?!?!

If thats the case ... NOBODY can say you guys didnot listen to us...

I as the artist can never say how anybody must see my image can i...

I as the viewer CAN see the image always in FULLSIZE ...

That ROCKS..

Just not sure if this involves a second click ....

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

Mercytoo ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 9:17 AM

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 11:18 AM

StaceyG wrote:> Quote -On upload, a transitionally-resized image will be created to supplement the image uploaded by the artist. This will be a high-quality image resized by our software, not by your browser.

Stacey, I do have a follow-up question on this point. Is it a safe assumption on my part that whatever the script or algorithm or command (sorry, don't know the right term) you'll be using to direct your software to create the extra "resized" image, it'll first check the width of the artist's original uploaded image and if that is 700px or less, your software will do nothing? We wouldn't want extra .jpg compression added unnecessarily.

Obviously, one absolute control the artist can retain under this new gallery plan is simply to make their uploaded images smaller (less wide) themselves. That would ensure that viewers would ALWAYS see only the artist's original work. For example, several images in my gallery have a portrait orientation and are about 750px wide, so my choosing to use 700px myself wouldn't be a big change. But if Rendo's software is just going to alter it anyway, I'd lose that control plus I'd be wasting my time trying to make the original image 700px wide in the first place.

thanks for your help...

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

williamsn ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 11:20 AM

Images will only be resized if uploaded larger than the max display size for that section. Otherwise they'll simply be copied. N

-Nicholas

calyxa ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 11:29 AM · edited Tue, 20 June 2006 at 11:32 AM

Quote - I can't either, the new layout is a bit baffling to me. The "edit my options" link when I am in the gallery doesn't have options to display pictures, where do I go to change it?

yeah, I'm baffled by this too -- first it took me a long while to figure out that the "my options" link off of "any gallery page" goes to an options page which is different from the "my options" page that one gets to from the link on any forum page, but it didn't have anything about this "always view full-sized" option in either place... so my guess is that this is currently the plan but that it has not been implemented yet? in light of the confusion of where to find these options, is there any chance that a link to the gallery options can be put on the forum options page, and similarly a link to the forum options put on the gallery options page? both the forum options and the gallery options pages have links to edit one's avatar and profile. having options is nice. having them spread out across multiple locations is confusing.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my Elemental Hexagons deck, created with Photoshop, Bryce, MojoWorld, and Poser

ramhernan ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 11:36 AM

My dear fellow coders, dont forget to include code into the edit option into the galleries to avoid having an outdated intermediate version,

I understand that DAtabase applications can't be all the intuitive as the user would love, so a simple copy is more easy in resources than coding into the system a runtime size check and is a bad choice to have partial empty SQL files so the simple copy for small images is the best deal.

i just ask if the options aren't yet available into our galleries or this will be implemented in a near future?

Cheers

Ramón

If it looks as mere real life, then it don't worth the effort.

williamsn ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 11:37 AM

We're working on them, but it will be a few more days. N

-Nicholas

UVDan ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 11:57 AM
Forum Moderator

Thanks for this lovely feature.  I am thrilled to have it.  I hate scrolling to see images.  I just pray that it does not slow things down any more than they already are.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

williamsn ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 11:59 AM

Quote - I just pray that it does not slow things down any more than they already are.

How is this slow? They've been running really fast for the past few days. N

-Nicholas

elzoejam ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 12:50 PM

Can't anyone tell me where to change this prefrence? I have been looking for ages and am about ready  to scream :-)

Giolon ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 1:17 PM

It doesn't exist yet.  They're working on it.

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

UVDan ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 2:13 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - > Quote - I just pray that it does not slow things down any more than they already are.

How is this slow? They've been running really fast for the past few days. N

Since the first day of the changeover my browser (Mozilla) has been crashing at Renderosity.  Many times I have to Ctrl Alt Delete to shut it down and start all over again.  Today seems to be running exceptionally fine, but there are times I spend an hour online to reply to one or two posts.  This does not happen at other sites like abovetopsecret.com which is also a large site, but loads much quicker for me and does not crash my Mozilla.

I realize that part of my system slowness is the fact that I am using AOHell.  They are a bunch of arrogant bastards when it comes to customer service.  I am trying to find a DSL or Cable  internet provider in my area of East Mesa, Arizona,  but it seems that nobody wants to service my area unless I pay a hundred bucks a month for bundled services. 

I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings.   I realize that I am an extreme minority now and everybody else is cruising the internet happiness highway while I am broke down along the side of the road watching the buzzards circling overhead while I ponder eating pieces of my own rotting flesh.

I keep hoping that some system guru will see my posts and respond with some magical internet setting that will catapult my internet experience into the 21st century.  I have upgraded everything on my machine to the tune of 300 bucks in the last month or so.  Now I am about to install the latest Creative Modem Blaster because my current modem does not have signed XP Pro drivers.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

elzoejam ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 3:11 PM

Quote - It doesn't exist yet.  They're working on it.

Oh. LOL. Good. I thought I was going crazy. Turns out I just can't read :-)

PJF ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 3:25 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

OMG, you people just never listen -

Oh wait, somebody already used that line (it was a joke, wasn't it?).

That's a pretty comprehensive solution, it has to be said. The "artist preference" aspect tends to indicate more than just listening - there's actual creative thinking going on. At first it all seemed rather over-complicated. After all, the easiest solution (the one I was expecting) would be a straight "resized or full" option for the viewer. But giving the artist the choice of how her/his work appears on the presentation page, and the viewer the option of seeing the work on that page as the artist intended - well that's just leading edge gallery design - with art pulling.

You should never say never, but I doubt there's another online gallery offering that.

Once again, the wonderful, shambolic interaction between Renderosity and its membership has brought forth a hybrid flower that's prettier than anyone was expecting. It's easy to sneer and take the piss out of Rendo (hell, I do - I like an easy life); but there's still something about the place that makes it the place.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 3:32 PM

You crack me up PJF:)

PJF ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 4:13 PM

Quote - No prob...now if I could just remember exactly what those lines were, I'd do it now.

Where's PJF when you need him? LOL

Oh, you want your money back now, eh? Don't want my steeenking code no more... ;-)

OK, if you have altered your CSS for displaying the full monty...

In the CSS where it says:
.gallery_display_image_cell
delete this: 
**width: auto;

where it says:
**.gallery_display_notes_cell
**delete this:
**width: 100%;
**and this (if present)
text-align: center;

where it says:
**.gallery_display_details_cell
**delete this:
**width: 20%;

**Only delete those bits - not one symbol more.

This will make your CSS as per the default as regards image resizing, whilst retaining any other changes you may have made.

To be ultra safe, you can simply go back to the Rendo default and then (re)add in any colour changes.

And thus was the rebellion put asunder.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 4:20 PM

williamsn wrote:

Quote - Images will only be resized if uploaded larger than the max display size for that section. Otherwise they'll simply be copied. N

Oh, okay, good...thanks!

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

cujoe_da_man ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 5:03 PM

well, I will say one thing, you guys have turned me around a great deal.  I was quite upset... not at the change itself, rather the way it was implemented.  I already voiced my concern over areas of the site and I can safely say that I am impressed with the paitence you have shown to get the site to where it is now.  I am still waiting to see 100%, but as a site builder/designer, I know too well that may take a while.

I may not have agreed with the way things were working out, but I kept my mouth shut (this is actually my 4th post since this started) with the hopes that you would heed the comments/crits. of your customers... and you have.  I may not have spent as much money here or posted as many works, but I have done some of both and at least one comment is allowed.  I appreciate the time you have taken to reply to us... even the not so freindly ones.  I've been here since 2000 and haven't really had much experience with what goes on here until last year, so this is my first time with this type of change over.

I was mostly unhappy (like most people) about the gallery size, but I also knew that if this site truly cared for it's people, then something would change.  Am I happy that people will still want to veiw my work compressed?  Not entirely, but I do appreciate that I can turn that option off so that I may veiw other's works the way they intended.  I'm not lashing out at anyone who wishes to view the compressed images, that's thier own preferance, maybe two years ago I would have gone for it, but I run dual monitors at 1600x1200 and they are a real strain to see until I click zoom.

Anywho, enough of my banter and nagging.  Stacy, keep goin', I know how it feels to be the one with all fingers pointed at.  I have had a few site designs that people have said were just awful and ended up rebuilding them.  But they are my customers and I have to listen to thier needs.  As for the other guys, keep coding away, you got a lot more on your plate than I will ever have and I would not want to be in your shoes.  Thanks for putting up with all the bull$#!+.

Ok, i've vented long enough, cya later... we'll be watchin'...

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 6:39 PM

IM just Gonna say this HERE...after my own repley to this Thread there have 15 more REPLEY's made by other people... i got NO ebots about them repleying to this topic!!!

SO ebots are not working good, missing 15 repleys is a lot.,or  its me and im not realy a member anymore or something like that..

I dont get an answer again... ill just stop asking things

somebody put that door back again where is was talking to from the start...................................................................................................................................................................

Chris

My Free Stuff

modus0 ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 6:42 PM

Well, I'm satisfied with this decision.

Now I can upload an image and see it (and any others I happen to have time to look at) at full size, while a friend of mine who prefers being able to see the whole image without scrolling (and uses a smaller screen resolution) can look at those same images and not have aliasing problems or needless scrollling.

Thank you for doing what many people didn't think you would, listening and considering the artist's position on the issue.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 6:45 PM

Bar, we have tested this heavily and all the ebots are going out. I would say then that you have a problem in your email settings or something. I'm not trying to disregard what you are saying its just I and several others tested after changes today and all ebots went out.  Sorry:(

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 6:52 PM

I get tons of ebots  ...thats why i think is so strange i dont get the repley ebots after 2 or 3 repleys.

and i always read the repley's.

I just got 2 ebots... but after that it usualy stops...

I gave the new image options a BIG thumbs UP ... the only question i had was ..if i still needed the second click to see the full version or is it diredtly a full version from the thumb when i make my pref's that way...  i still dont know.....  

Chris 

Chris

My Free Stuff

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 7:11 PM

It will be the full version from the thumb if you set your preferences that way.

Now you know that the reply ebots work in the way that if someone replies you will get one reply ebot UNTIL you come back in here and that resets it? So like say If I was the first one to reply since you were in this thread last, then you would get one ebot saying I had replied, then if say three more people replied in this thread but you haven't been back to it yet, you won't get ebots for those replies, then once you do come in this thread again, it resets so you will get the next reply then starts all over. Does that help maybe explain why you might think you are missing some?

Stac

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 7:17 PM

euh Ok  i get what you say .. i think its a bit dumb.. but do i rembember correctly when i say your gonna fix this to a way i get all repleys to the thread.. i can remeber something like that..

Because getting 2,3 repley's and then it stops is wierd .. not getting more ebots looks to me like nobody is repleying anymore and then i have to go to the site and check ALL the threads i've repleyed to for messages..thats the wrong way round is it not :}

But any way thnx for the answer to my image size Q.

And i do think when that when the sizing is fix the gallerys looks OK to me...

Chris

Chris

My Free Stuff

JOEANOMALY ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 7:26 PM

Hmmm... artists can upload at their own preference and viewers can view at their own preference, sounds reasonable to me. I usually upload at 1024 x 768 ( average moniter resolution, these days), which shouldn't annoy to many people. Good job, Renderosity folk! (Roar of applause in backround.)

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 7:36 PM

Bar,

I said they were going to fix the ebots at the THREAD level, the ebots at the reply level have been working the way we intended, it was at the thread level that there was a problem that has now been resolved so that you get an ebot for every new THREAD, not post:) hope this helps.

3dvice ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 7:55 PM

Thanks for this solution. I will be very happy with these options and their defaults, as long as the quality is ok! :) And it's great, that these changes will be retroactive!

Le cinéma substitue à notre regard un monde qui s'accorde à nos désirs. - André Bazin

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:01 PM

I just wonder what will happen if I leave the auto code in there.  I presume it's going to display the images automatically based on their size, which are going to be displayed at their true size anyway, in which case the auto won't have an effect and need not be removed?

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

PJF ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:04 PM

Only one way to find out, Phil - and I'm gonna.

PJF ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:07 PM

And just a little reward for williamsn:

Progress? in 750cc bike design

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:07 PM

That's what I was planning on doing (and if it went horribly wrong, sending an urgent IM begging PJF to HELP!!) (grin)

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:10 PM

Hey, I might add a few more random lines in there and see what funky things I end up with.

/me has memories of his childhood science kit.    Surely I can't burn down another building?

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:14 PM

Just as I would have mis-givings about being in the same building as young Phil and his amazing junior scientist kit, do I want to be on the same site as adult Phil on a rampage with a loaded CSS?!

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:28 PM

But hey, I just managed to get random signatures without the world ending.   You can trust me. 

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 8:39 PM

Take cover!

Ironbear ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 9:46 PM

I just have one question: who the hell replaced PJF with a pod person, and how can we get the old one back? Is there a ransom demand thread I missed? (o0) Ok, that's two questions. Bite me. ;)

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 9:56 PM

"Bite me. ;)"
Ok Ironbear! but a question first-
Given your tagline and past associations with the Legume, which one of us would need the disinfectant?
(grin)

Ironbear ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 10:21 PM

You would need rabies shots afterwards. ;)

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 10:30 PM

(grin)

PJF ( ) posted Wed, 21 June 2006 at 2:55 AM

Quote - ...who the hell replaced PJF with a pod person, and how can we get the old one back?

It seems a reasonable bet that the number of times I've been thrown out of here is more than the number of years you were a Renderosity moderator. I think I'm still ahead in the old street-cred game ;-). Your protestations are like Andrew Sullivan desperately trying to compensate for his earlier pro-war position (that grievous insult is in place of the old fashioned tirade of verbal abuse we could exchange in the good old days).

The gallery solution is cool, is it not? Regardless of the corporate posturing by Rendo.

Oh, and I'd like a younger one back please.

Ironbear ( ) posted Wed, 21 June 2006 at 3:20 AM

"It seems a reasonable bet that the number of times I've been thrown out of here is more than the number of years you were a Renderosity moderator. I think I'm still ahead in the old street-cred game ;-)" - PJF

If street cred's based on how often we've been booted, old chap, you're WAY ahead. I've never been banned from anywhere that I can recall. ;]p~ Heh. I remember when you got thrown out for complimenting a moderator. ;) Now you're... being.... helpful. Fess up. Where's the real PJF, and what have you done with him? > "The gallery solution is cool, is it not? Regardless of the corporate posturing by Rendo." - PJF

I haven't looked at it, so I'll take your word on the "cool". Aside from being amused watching the Corporate Posturing, I really don't have much interest in Rendo's galleries or their forums any longer. I'm just finding the member's reactions and the staff's responses passingly amusing. ;] [Not just Rendo: I seem to have very little interest in much of the various sites these days: rendo, Daz Forums, Poserpros, 3DC... where-ever. shrug] Hrmm... "PJF. Helpful." waitaminnit... you're setting Tim up for something, huh? Never mind - I'll get out of your way and wait for the eventual explosion - from a safe distance.

• Monkeysmell

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 21 June 2006 at 8:59 AM

I've shouted about this issue also and IMHO you've reached a sound, sensible compromise that "should" keep everyone happy!

Now "THAT" would be a first!!!!             

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

zapper1977 ( ) posted Wed, 21 June 2006 at 11:21 AM

I really like the new format you have chosen..It's great and the site is faster now,.

Thank you

Michael

You On the internet AGAIN, Enough Screwing around get Back to WORK......ugh..
©  home.comcast.net/~zapper1998

FlyByNight ( ) posted Wed, 21 June 2006 at 11:34 AM

Just wanted to add my thanks as well for the upcoming gallery options. I don't usually post much larger than 800x1000 but even that little shrinkage was making my images look jagged. I think this solution should work for just about everyone.

And also a thank you to Nicholas for the flickering thumbnail page fix as it has worked perfectly.

FlyByNight

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.