Mon, Jul 8, 1:08 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 7:10 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Information on the resizing images issue....

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:25 PM · edited Mon, 08 July 2024 at 1:02 PM

Our goal, as always, is to make as many people happy as is possible. As such, we will be substantially modifying the image resizing piece over the next week to operate as follows:

On upload, a transitionally-resized image will be created to supplement the image uploaded by the artist. This will be a high-quality image resized by our software, not by your browser. Also on upload, the artist will have the choice to choose how this image initially displays: full-size or resized.

Additionally, viewers will have the ability to choose between these three options: “Always show resized images regardless of artist preference”, “Show images according to artist preference”, “Always show full-sized images regardless of artist preference”. As is present already, viewers will be able to click on an image and view it full-sized.

We hope that this solution will be satisfactory to all involved and give everyone the options they need to have the best gallery experience. We really appreciate everyones suggestions and feedback regarding this issue. 

Thank you so much for your patience.  We will continue to strive toward making Renderosity the best Art site on the net! 

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:32 PM

in other words... you've not listened at all.
fine. please don't lie to us by saying 'we listen' in future. I for one can't stand that.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:35 PM

We didn't listen to you? Khai, yes we did otherwise it would have stayed as it was. The option gives everyone the choice because a lot of members don't want to see 4000 x 4000 images so if we didn't give an option then you have another group upset because we are forcing them to look at HUGE images. I don't understand at all how you came to the conclusion that we didn't listen?

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:38 PM

how many posts and threads saying they don't like it and please don't do it are there? it's been the main complaint for the last week.

thats why I drew the conclusion I have.

I've said enough.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:41 PM

And we made it an option and that was suggested in those threads.  We have always received complaints from users not liking the HUGE images and not wanting to see them that way so this compromise gives everyone a benefit.  I'm amazed that you say we didn't listen. We have to think about the whole community Khai and that is what we have done.

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:46 PM · edited Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:51 PM

Ehhh...Khai...did you read the post?  Carefully?

EDIT: Thanks, Stacey! [and everyone else in the decision]

danamongden ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:48 PM

I've been one of the louder agitators on this issue, and I am satisfied by this solution.  I'd still be happier ramming my art down the viewers throats at full-sized regardless, but... well, that's not very friendly of me, now is it?  As you present this, it would seem that you are covering all combinations of desires.

I'm curious about the defaults, however, specifically for the viewer?  I would hope it will be "artists' preference", and allow users to then opt towards the two extreme cases, i.e. always small or always big.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:52 PM

You are very welcome. We thought this resolution would be best for everyone all around:)

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:53 PM

artist pref: "Full-size" and viewing pref: "always show full size, regardless..." here!
I can work with this.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:53 PM · edited Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:54 PM

Question:  Will this be retro to existing images, or just new uploads once this is in place?

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:55 PM

Retro I'm sure TerraDreamer

williamsn ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:55 PM · edited Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:56 PM

LOL @ TerraDreamer talking to Khai. This will be retroactive to existing images, but it might take a few days before all images have been changed. Defaults: All old images will be set to "Display resized." They can be edited and changed. Until changed, user preferences will be to always resize. The reason being is that the majority of Gallery users are happy. It may not seem like it from all the resizing threads, but in actuality the number of members complaining represents a relatively small percentage of the number of members using the Galleries. It will take only the click of a mouse to change the defaults, so they really won't matter. We just don't want to set it to "artist preference" then have all the users who ARE happy suddenly rush in here complaining about us taking away resizing and blowing up their pages, and our having to explain all of this to them again. N

-Nicholas

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:59 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Will run through mine next weekend and reset to my desires.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 8:09 PM

One last question: What's going to happen to those who loaded the galleries CSS to bypass what's existing?  Any possibility of something getting hosed browser-wise?

Thanks.

williamsn ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 8:17 PM

Yes. They will have to remove any CSS rules they have put in that alter the display of images. N

-Nicholas

Unicornst ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 8:20 PM

I think it's the perfect compromise and thank all of you very much!

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 8:26 PM

Ahhh. User options. Exactly what we have been clamoring for. I would have been happy with full-size only, as it was before, but this is even better. Good job guys!

I'll see what happens with my CSS mods.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 8:28 PM

You're welcome!!!!

Unicornst ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 8:40 PM

Quote - Yes. They will have to remove any CSS rules they have put in that alter the display of images. N

No prob...now if I could just remember exactly what those lines were, I'd do it now.

Where's PJF when you need him? LOL

Lucie ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 8:50 PM

I'm also happy with this, plenty of choices there!  :)  Thanks for listening guys!

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 8:57 PM

Quote - The reason being is that the majority of Gallery users are happy. It may not seem like it from all the resizing threads, but in actuality the number of members complaining represents a relatively small percentage of the number of members using the Galleries.

mmmm, not so sure about that.  How many threads were there saying how wonderful it was that images are resized?  ;-)

Anyway, I'll wait and see what you do and hopefully everyone will be happy.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 8:59 PM

This is fantastic! Lots of options for everyone!

Great job!!

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Belladzines ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:06 PM · edited Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:08 PM

Quote - > Quote - Yes. They will have to remove any CSS rules they have put in that alter the display of images. N

No prob...now if I could just remember exactly what those lines were, I'd do it now.

Where's PJF when you need him? LOL

janet i've got it saved on email and i think that you can revert the changes with a click of the button.

Khai - at least you get 3 options as opposed to having one and admin putting cotton snuffs in their ears so they dont hear us -

Thanks guys for givng us those options, i'm sure there'll be more happy bugs around............. for those of us that do have galleries... its a much better option.

vince3 ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:08 PM

thanks Stacey and williamsn!!!!!!!!!

Unicornst ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:09 PM · edited Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:10 PM

Something williamsn said and drawbridgep qouted is bugging me, so this is directed towards williamsn only. And it's said with utmost respect and no bad feelings.

I've worked a number of years in retail and one thing I know for sure. Just because some people don't voice an opinion when they are unhappy, it doesn't mean they aren't. Some just leave quietly without saying a word. Others may have felt that enough were stating their dislike so that they didn't have to. So since you (Rendo) are giving us such wonderful options, I plan on using one. The one that says to leave the image at the artists preference. I'm very curious to know exactly how many artists actually like their artwork being resized down from the  way  they intended it to be. After about a week, I'll go my personal preference which is to NOT have my images resized down. I also wonder how many will do the same.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:10 PM

drawbridgep,

Actually the way it usually happens is when members are happy with something you don't hear much about it in the forums but they contact us through email/site mail to say so. Throughout the years in the Community survey and just general email that comes through members have always complained about how some images are so big you have to scroll this way and that way just to see them.   Its always been a sore spot with a large number of viewers.

danamongden ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:15 PM

Quote - ...The reason being is that the majority of Gallery users are happy. It may not seem like it from all the resizing threads, but in actuality the number of members complaining represents a relatively small percentage of the number of members using the Galleries.

That's not really a good measurement since a minority of gallery users post to the forums.  You could have made any change and seen no more than 1% of the users complain in the forums.  Does that necessarily imply that the other 99% like the change?  Admittedly, the happy ones are far less likely to post, but you're making the unfounded leap from "silence = complacency" to "silence = approval". 

It's not a major problem for me, but in the interest of polling-theory, I would wager that if you made user viewing default to "artists' preference", you would see far less complaint in the forums than you have over the resizing to begin with.

But again, I'll be quite happy enough with the solution as presented.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:20 PM

Well some of this is based on over the years complaints in the Community Survey and communication from members regarding the large images in the galleries. I think quite frankly that members that are in favor of a change we made feel a little "scared" sometimes to post because they are worried about being a bit "flamed" so they feel more comfortable communicating privately and in the surveys. Just my opinion mind you:)

Unicornst ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:27 PM

Stacey,

You went to bat for us artists that did decide not to fear the flames and complained.  You calmly and sweetly kept reassuring us that it was being discussed and our views were being taken into consideration. I was really happy to see that you did the official announcement because I feel....and this is my opinion....that you did the most to douse the flames and not let them be fanned than anyone else here during the last week since the conversion. For all of this.... I greatly thank you and sincerly respect you.

Janet

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:36 PM

Oh you are so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You just made my week and this is why I love my job, thank you

jjean21 ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:40 PM

Most people just need to be a given a choice and this seems like a reasonable solution to me. I'm extremely content at this point. Thanks for listening and doing your best to make everyone happy.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:44 PM

Very elegant compromise Stacey et al....Kudos...great job...yer worth the bux fer sure, I'd have gone homicidal by now ...LOL

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

DJB ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 9:48 PM

I  have been known to tell members that thier image would look a lot better  browser sized
I use 3  resolution settings in front of me and even at 1280x960 on properties, I still like images no larger that about 1000px.
Thanks for this option.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 10:02 PM

Got to say this however: 4000x4000 px, and 512 Kb max filesize, those numbers don't go too well together. I usually upload at 1600x1200 px, and I almost always have to use a fairly strong JPEG compression to remain within the 512 Kb limit.

Got to admit that my images are filled with people, foliage, buildings, animals and the like. Doesn't compress as well as a large black studio background, so maybe it's just me.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 10:13 PM

I'm thrilled not to have giant pictures I can't possibly view comfortably. While I'm not excited with the whole CSS thing because I don't know CSS and doubt if it's worth my while to learn it at this late date,  I might visit the galleries more often with reasonably sized graphics instead of those that I had to view in scroll mode a graphic eyeball at a time.

Thanks for helping those of us who hate the graint graphics because we don't happen to have large  computer monitors.

And it doesn't sound like it keeps those who do have the extreme equipment from still viewing it if that's what they want. 

I'll be picking "resize it, please."  Thanks!!!

Shardz ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 10:29 PM

When I start hearing the word 'Options', and especially a few of them, I perk up quite a bit. This sounds like a very fair way of dealing with the plethora of viewing preferences for everyone here. Now I just have to find the line of code for resizing the images and remove it...if I can remember which one it was. Laffs

This will at least allow each user to personally set their references to individual comfort and I believe ultimately this is the way to go. The only other aspect I considered with this change is the fact there will not be a standard that the images will be viewed as before. But, with all things considered, I'm quite happy with this resolve, and I'm glad it came to these considerations.

Thank you very much Stacey and williamsn for listening (laffs) and bringing this issue to a resolve and putting up with so much static, especially from me. =) If we didn't love this place as our second home, we wouldn't make such a stink. But sounds like we are going the right direction.

To svdl: I understand exactly what you mean with the compression problems by posting at 1600x1200 and adhering to the file limit, and from my very first post, I just don't do it. On Ulead's site there is a fantastic product, SmartSaver Pro, which has a wonderful algorthm that will compress very large images with very little distortions or gliches. I swear by SmartSaver Pro, and given our applications here, it's pricesless. It's also amazing for web graphics applications, as well. Hope this helps. http://www.ulead.com/ssp/runme.htm

Giolon ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 10:45 PM

Hi Stacey!

This is absolutely WONDERFUL news!  I can't understand the negativity in this thread when you gave us exactly what we asked for.  I just want to say thank you so much for listening to our issues and working to make change happen (see? change can be good people!).  All and all I like the new gallery set up a lot and this new set of options is the only big complaint I had left.  A

lso, thank you for spending so much time to swat flames and respond so quickly on the forums over the past week.  There has been some real downright nastiness that I've tried to avoid, and I feel that you guys at Rendo' have handled it extremely professionally.

I look forward to seeing how the rest of the site comes together through the transition. :)

~~Giolon

P.S. Props to the programmers and the rest of the people at Rendo' for going back and making things the way they should be.

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 12:50 AM

Quote - in other words... you've not listened at all.
fine. please don't lie to us by saying 'we listen' in future. I for one can't stand that.

They haven't listened????!!  That's not the impression I got from Stacey's message.

People complained that the image was automatically resized and was poor quality not reflecting the way the artist wanted their image viewed:

The following change is being made to accommodate that:

Quote - On upload, a transitionally-resized image will be created to supplement the image uploaded by the artist. This will be a high-quality image resized by our software, not by your browser. Also on upload, the artist will have the choice to choose how this image initially displays: full-size or resized.

What I get from that is now  the artist has a choice if their image is resized or not. Plus if they pick "resize", the image is of higher quality than it was when resized before.

Now, some people like myself can't set their resolution to more than 1024x768 so viewing really large images is an impossibility. I tried to view one that was 2500x2500 and I had to scroll up and down and left to right and couldn't get a feel for the image period. The only way I could see the whole image was by looking at the thumbnail which was supplied.  Was that the way the artist wanted their image viewed? I doubt it.

Here is the change for that:

Quote - Additionally, viewers will have the ability to choose between these three options: “Always show resized images regardless of artist preference”, “Show images according to artist preference”, “Always show full-sized images regardless of artist preference”. As is present already, viewers will be able to click on an image and view it full-sized.

So now the viewer, such as myself, who can't view really big images without having to scroll and scroll, will have the option to set our preferences  to view an image in a high quality reduced size so that we won't have to scroll up and down and left and right and we too will be able to view the picture as a whole image instead of an eyeball, an ear, a nose, a foot etc.  If we want to look at it full size and scroll up and down and left and right (which doesn't really allow you to see a picture as it's intended), then we can do so by clicking the image.

How you can say that they aren't listening is beyond me.  We all got what we wanted. And it's a perfectly reasonable work around for everyone.

As I said, I would hope that the artist wants people to look at their image as a whole, and not as bits and pieces that appear on the screen because it is grossly larger than what our monitors can display.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

williamsn ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 12:55 AM

Thanks, Acadia. You just made my week. 😄 Well, that and my new motorcycle. 😄 N

-Nicholas

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 1:01 AM

Quote - Thanks, Acadia. You just made my week. 😄 Well, that and my new motorcycle. 😄 N

hehe  See? I can do more than complain and riot,  LOL

What kind of motorcycle?

williamsn ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 1:04 AM

Honda Shadow Aero 750cc. I love it. Just got back from riding, actually. 'Bout to go to bed to get up and go to work again. G'night!

-Nicholas

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 1:06 AM

Sleep well :)  Night

calyxa ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 1:06 AM

Acadia, you made Nicholas' motorcycle and you don't know what kind it is? :b_grin: seriously, tho - this is good news - it sounds like the options will allow everyone to view the galleries in the way best for their particular systems, which is what HTML was all about in the first place - making information exchange device independant!

______________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my Elemental Hexagons deck, created with Photoshop, Bryce, MojoWorld, and Poser

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 1:27 AM · edited Tue, 20 June 2006 at 1:29 AM

Attached Link: http://www.motormint.com/ProductImages/fullsize/48INMC.jpg

file_345796.jpg

Well, I thought I made this one, but guess not,  LOL  Hondas are nice too though. My brother used to have one. 

i just hope Nick wears a helmet!!!

williamsn ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 1:32 AM

file_345797.jpg

ROFL @ Acadia. A'ight. Here ya go. 😄 N

-Nicholas

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 1:57 AM

Thank you, Stacey, for going to bat for us on this issue. I would have been a little happier if the default setting for the viewer was "Show images according to artist preference" instead the showing the resized image by default. But this is a big improvement on where things stood last week and is a worthy compromise. Thanks again!

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

lemur01 ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 2:45 AM

Wow, a better result than I had even hoped for! Kudos to R'osity. Should go a long way to making everyone happy. Hugs for Stacey and erm... a firm handshake for williamsn.

Jack

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 3:16 AM

Quote - ROFL @ Acadia. A'ight. Here ya go. 😄 N

What?!! It's new and you aren't camped outside sleeping next to it?  LOL

Nice looking bike!  And the helmet?

ramhernan ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 3:56 AM

Good news! Thanks a lot Stacey and Nicholas, i can imagine that this was not a very plesant week, i think for all us. But in the end Rendo can listen and that's the most important thing! i'm preety happy with the final solution, everyone's flavor is served. Excellent!

Opsss i love my actual color scheme, time to remember the two lines of code that i need to "untweak"  LOL

Cheers

Ramón

If it looks as mere real life, then it don't worth the effort.

IO4 ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 5:20 AM · edited Tue, 20 June 2006 at 5:25 AM

:thumbupboth: Thanks so much Stacey and the team . I am so pleased that I can have my images viewed at full size once the thumb has been clicked. 😄 At least this way everyone should be satisfied.

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 5:49 AM · edited Tue, 20 June 2006 at 5:50 AM

Ok I think this is a kick butt solution. It gives into both sides of the spectrum. And to those of you who are still being unruly, even after Rendo has bent to our demand... geez, get a life. :tt2:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.