Sun, Sep 15, 6:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OK, one goes to Daz and buys a scene setup

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 9:41 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 10:45 PM

A complete scene that is, all 125mb of it.

Well it was a steal at plat club prices.

Can one in all honesty just alter it a wee bit, add a couple of elements and then post it in the gallery under ones own name?

Just a hypothetical question (at present)

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

RodsArt ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 10:45 AM

As a work of art...Yes
Once you buy it,....it's raw material.

To try and resell-it would be a sticky wickett, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you want to be prudent, give the traditional kudos to the originator.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 1:26 PM

Chohole,

I bought several of the rooms (the Study, the Ballroom, etc), and have been tweaking and modifying the textures right, left and sideways.  I'm altering the layouts, doing all sorts of stuff.  But, not for resale, obviously.

If you question is, do you have to credit DAZ for your completed artwork??  No, you don't.  No more than you would have to credit the paint company for the paint you used on a canvas.  The eventual artwork that results from the use of their materials and textures is yours.  You can sell your artwork if you like with no problem.

But, what you can't do is repackage their models and textures and sell that as your own.  That's the copyright violation.  It is not ... repeat not .... a violation to use the model or the texture in your artwork, render it, and call it your own.  The final artwork IS your own.

To give you a better example, if you use a Poser figure in the scene, that doesn't make the work of art that results copyright of Poser.  Same thing with the static models.  They are just props.  You are still putting the work into the arrangement and lighting and other work that makes it an art piece.

Now, there is a reason that we should give credit here .... and that is to help other artists learn where they can purchase the models and etc, and to help DAZ and other companies keep going so that they can create more goodies for us.

So .... long winded answer, I know, but if it's posting in your "gallery" .... go for it.  If it's posting even a portion of it as a freebie or for purchase, don't even think about it.

Could be worse, could be raining.

sackrat ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 1:41 PM

Oh Shoot,..............from the subject line, I thought this was going to be a joke, you know, like,..........A duck walks into a bar,....................

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 1:44 PM

Ricky, I frequently use daz models in my images, but feel no need to add credits because the posing and texturing and putting together is all my own work, but on this occasion it is an actual B5 scene file that the guy is selling, which is why I hesitate to add it to my gallery.  Basically about 75% of the finished image is not my own work, which is very unusual for me.  It is just that the scene (magnificent mountains) is a great scene, especially for $1.99  but it  feels like cheating to me.

My normal landscape images are done by me from start to finish, and usually take a week or more of tweaking before I am halfway happy with them.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 3:42 PM

So, are you going to be working out camera angles and making texture modifications?  Then, it's still your work.  He built the garden, and you are taking photos of it.  The photos are your artwork, the garden is his to sell.

donniemc0 ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 3:57 PM

i too bought the magnificent mountains, the reason i bought them is to "dissect the scene" to see how it was done! and i would have paid that price for the textures alone (since bryce snow textures are for the want of a better phrase .....below par.
going back to your point, personally i agree with all of the above in saying that if you alter the scene in any way or add something to it, then it becomes a new scene. if on the other hand you fired up bryce imported the scene, rendered it and fired that image on to your gallery then that would raise ethical questions (not saying for a minute that you would by the way!) in fact that gives me an idea, i'm going to post my new image "mystical mountains" which is similar to majestic mountains except that the camera has been moved millimetres to the left (mmmwwwhhahhahahah)

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 8:58 PM

Yeah, but....
I have the same model and discovered that a 6.75 mm to the left gives a much more appealing image :P

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 9:13 PM · edited Wed, 22 November 2006 at 9:24 PM

Quote - A complete scene that is, all 125mb of it.

Well it was a steal at plat club prices.

Can one in all honesty just alter it a wee bit, add a couple of elements and then post it in the gallery under ones own name?

Just a hypothetical question (at present)

One can always say, ooooh, my it;s beauuuutiful, it looks so much like something else I've seen... I'm having brainfats where...  Did you model it all by yourself too?

I mean heck, one can say, why use help of the computer to create 3D art? Why not paint it on canvas - or somesuch thing...  Where does one draw the line?

How about collages? Collage is an art form too. Lot of images on rendo end up being collages of models and textures acquired elsewhere.

I gather some people may feel that their work is not being noticed because of availability of other material (content)...  If you're good at comething, keep at it, and you'll get noticed. Trying to limit what others do only takes away from the time you could spend honing your own skills.

Trying to control what others do is almost always a losing battle, mainly because it's a simple game of numbers. There's only ONE of you, and MANY MANY of them.  So, unless they're doing something to harm you directly... Like taking your artwork and claiming it as theirs, let them be.

You can always put a person on the spot and say, WOW, that's cool, did you model and texture it from scratch too? Plus, people get tired of looking at the same ole thing, so after the 10th time they've seen that really cool latest DAZ model in someone's rendering, it will stop catching their eye, and people will know rather quickly the 'artist' didn't model it themselves.

That still doesn't mean that the rendered piece may not have other merits.

*Basically about 75% of the finished image is not my own work, which is very unusual for me.  It is just that the scene (magnificent mountains) is a great scene, especially for $1.99  but it  feels like cheating to me.

My normal landscape images are done by me from start to finish, and usually take a week or more of tweaking before I am halfway happy with them.*

Different people have different interests and aptitudes.  We all need to make sure we don't judge people's work by our own standards, but by the goals they set for themselves.  Did they achieve what they set out to do is the question we should be asking. Not - did they do what I would do in their place, or what I think they should be doing.

And if you want to let people know, you can always make mention what other models you used in your work. I mean, just about all of us on rendo know how it works, some you model, some you buy, some are freebies... some of use so many different sources, we forget where things came from - I know I do.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 11:40 PM

The bottom line is whether or not you create something original from whatever you started with.  Even if it means that you simply discovered something new by moving the camera 6 millimeters to the left.  If doing that results in something new ... then it's all yours.

A bunch of photographers might take close to the same photo of the same place, but if the angle is just right and the exposure is just right ... it's Ansel Adams and Half Dome.  It's not the subject, it's what the artist does with the subject.

And, as noted above, most of us are the types that mostly want to dissect and change the thing that we buy.  I could care less about the pirate outfit .... I want to find a way to fit it onto a mouse.  All the things we purchase are tools and materials.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If a person takes those materials and creates something new with them ... that's art.  Even if it's just that one change in camera angle that no one else discovered ... it's still your unique vision.

So, great, you bought a whole scene.  Maybe modelling isn't your thing.  It's certainly not mine, yet.  That doesn't mean that you can't take someone else's models and do something really unique with them.  As long as it is your unique end product, that's all that's important.

I would wager you that, given the same Bryce scene, every one of us would come up with a unique interpretation of that scene.  Again ... it's not the models, it's the artist's vision.

OK .... I'm hammered.  I had waaaaaay too much to drink tonight.  Dinner with friends.  Lots of fun.  Bone tired.  Going to bed.  Nite.

serendigity59@gmail.com ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 1:43 AM

I really think one of the key points here is not what you use in the scene, or the source of it, but if you try to take credit by passing it off as your own modelling or whatever, well that is wrong.  We shouldn't have to mention the provenance of every element of every scene that we make, unless we are keen to spread a good vendor's work, but we sure as heck should be quick to point out that 'so and so object in the scene was not made by me but by jane doe' if someone in their comment on your work specifically asks if you made the object...  Hope that makes sense. :-)

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 3:39 AM

file_360371.jpg

Well, lets do it this way, here is the image as far as it has got.

I must say my original reason in buying the scene was much the same as Donniemc, but once I booted it up I started playing.

Poor Rudolph is upset because Santa doesn't need him as its a brau bricht moonlit nicht!

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 5:21 AM

pam..it's all your art work..not the modeller's own... you made the change. your final product.. (nice pix..though a bit sad..i want to hug rudolf and smooch his nose..)

see..that made the difference..that' s your own art work.

sans anything that you had done to it.. let; s say you bought the model.. and just put it up and say that's mine.. nah..that's not right. as long as you tweaked it a bit..put in your own stuff..no matter even if it was a single cell on a poser  figure.it's yours.

the person who modelled the mountains but it up for sale.. he/she knew someone was gonna take it..and put it in their work.. they gave up the rights to it when you bought it. you have every right to use it  how you want t your art work.. barring reselling the model as a model itself... and saying you did it..

hope that helps... cheers..

will email you later down the week.. :-)

rickymaveety ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 8:39 AM

Yup .... that's exactly what I've been saying.  You bought the right to use it in your artwork.  There is no requirement that you credit the modeller.  End of story.

And, that is a darling piece.  I too want to smooch poor Rudy.  I'm also going to grab that scene file.  $1.99 you say???

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 8:43 AM

Yup............$1.99, providing you are a plat club member. And a setup from Rochr for the same price, but you have to be quick.

rickymaveety ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 10:07 AM

Got it.  Thanks.

Also, did you all know we have a $10.00 holiday voucher??

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 10:15 AM

Yup...but problem there is I can't find anything I want in the original items. All the stuff in my wish list is published items, and vouchers don't count on them.

martial ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 7:25 PM

It is remember me a photography of  beautifull landscape.You didn't construct it .But not every one is Ansel Adams (a celeb photographer of black and white  landscapes).The art of seing is not the same for every one.
Many years ago ,i have tried to construct a wood seat using the same tools as my brother use.It was a desaster  ,my brother did a great design seat.The art of using tools
Don't confuse the tools and the resulting art .Poser ,Bryce are only tools
Many years ago i see a serie of pictures using the same women as model.The photographers just take a diiferent looks and feels  and the same women seems different for each one.Still the art of seeing.

Do you have it?......That's the question

rickymaveety ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 10:41 PM

Oh, gee.  If I find something that I want in the DAZ original items for under $10 .... would you buy it for me???  Teehee??

(Hey, it never hurts to ask)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.