Sat, Sep 21, 4:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Poor Poser 7 Renders

Circumvent ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:35 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:29 AM

I don't know if its me or not but Poser 7 renders look horrible.  They look fussy and they are only 60 KB in size and when rendering the same scene into Poser 6 its like 280 KB and a very good picture.  Is there  a setting I need to  tweak?  I don't get it.  Also, I can't load my Runtime folder into Poser 7 from Poser 6.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  So far I'm not impressed. 
Adrian

bluecity ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:38 AM

Do you mean the JPG files it creates, or the output of the render window?

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:43 AM
Online Now!

I have similar rendering issues! :0/

Just getting it do do a simple test render it struggles compared to P6 :0(

This is before you think about Exporting.

I posted fuller details on another recent thread.

Klutz :0(

********************************************************************************************************************

Life is a beta.

In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Circumvent ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:47 AM

What I do is save the finished render in a JPG format with 0 compression and I also save it with 100 compression and both pics look like crap.  The renders are 58 KB in size and that is so small.  In Poser 6 I render the same scene and its like close to 300 KB and looks a million times better.  It's like Poser 4 with bad textures.

Adrian

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:58 AM

What if you save it in a different format, like TIFF or BMP?

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:59 AM
Online Now!

Here is what i posted in another thread...It may have got buried ;0)

' It seems to be awfully slow at a simple test render. I am really beginner level at this TBH.

I am talking minimalist stuff here, one figure and no props. One that I could do in P6 in about 30seconds seems to bog down and even freeze it.

I have backed off the auto Firefly render to draft quality, but it still seems awfully slow!

Must have some things checked as default that P6 doesn't I suppose?

Anybody else got an issue like this?

( For the record 2 Gig Athlon64 2 Gig memory and 128M GeForce  Graphics. ) '

Klutz :0/

********************************************************************************************************************

Life is a beta.

jimmy1 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 12:39 PM

Quote - What if you save it in a different format, like TIFF or BMP?

Saved as JPEG, 0 compression, 62KB; saved as TGA, 1915 KB. Now THAT"S compression! A little too much compression, maybe; load the TGA to Photoshop and save it as a JPEG at max quality (12) and it's 392 KB.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 12:47 PM

What render settings are you using in firefly?

Tirjasdyn

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 12:54 PM
Online Now!

I was using auto default, but reduced it to auto draft. :0/

Life is a beta.

panko ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 12:56 PM

Quote -

Nige, try to find the latest driver for your graphics card --it makes a huge difference.
So far rendering works fine with me --and fast!... :)

Panos

"That's another fine mess you got me in to!" -- Oliver Hardy

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 1:00 PM
Online Now!

Quote - > Quote -

Nige, try to find the latest driver for your graphics card --it makes a huge difference.
So far rendering works fine with me --and fast!... :)

Panos

I'll do that now, Panos....

Good idea..Thanks for the prompt!

Nige. :0)

Life is a beta.

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 1:42 PM
Online Now!

Tried that....Graphics driver updated...Seems quicker graphics generally...

Hasn't solved the problem though...

One Sidney plus hair hit render on Firefly auto and it choks then freezes! :0(

Life is a beta.

tastiger ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 1:46 PM

Can we see a sample just to compare - it's not an issue i have.
Show me yours and I'll show you mine - so to speak....

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 1:46 PM

Sounds like something is wrong with the JPG compression they're using.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 1:46 PM

What are your settings? Can you post a screen cap ?

Tomsde ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 1:47 PM

The difference well may be the system requirements of Poser 7 as opposed to 6.  Compare system requirements, does P7 ask for more?  It seems each new generation of software requires higher and higher computer resources.  How much ram do you have?  Perhaps it's time to add some more.   Another thing that might help is to turn off all programs operating the in background.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:16 PM

Do you have to adjust the hardware acceleration like in Poser 6?  I have a dual  core and duel Processor and hope there are no issues when I get mine.  Sharen

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:18 PM

P7 might ask for more, but it will very likely run very smoothly on LESS - just memory, I consistently had P6 go to 2gb and croak, while P7 has been pretty well behaved, at least outside of the cloth room (another story).  I told Preferences to let the render run in a separate process and that is working well for me, you might try that and see if you get different results.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:22 PM

I don't know if you HAVE to do anything, but I was setting up and saw under General Preferences -> Render that the threads Firefly thinks it can spawn is set to 1 by default, so I changed it to 4 (max).  I hadn't actually tried it with default, I'll do that though and see if it works the way it reads.  Generally 1 thread = 1 core.

My Freebies

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:29 PM
Online Now!

OK.
Tastiger: I have no render to show you :0(
Randy:    Not getting as far as Exporting an image.
Teyon:    I am just using 'out of the box' P7 Firefly settings.
Tomsde: I suppose it could be an issue, but th system is fairly well specced 
                  see resume below.

2.00 Gig AMD64:
2 Gig RAM:
128Meg 6800GT Graphics ( updated driver today ;0) )

SAMS3D: Don't know TBH

PJZ99 : Never been an issue with Poser 6 ...Things running in the background and still churning out the basic test render I am referring to in about 30 seconds....P7 chokes and freezes.

Wonder if it could be Sydney or her hair, that is the only other difference ??? :0/

Thanks folks for the input so far!

Klutz :0)

Life is a beta.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:36 PM

Have you tried not using default settings?

Going to manual and playing with the bucket size?

Tirjasdyn

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:47 PM

it's my hope these issues will be ironed out by SR2 or SR3. as in P5 and P6, one consequence of this early release (download) is to force early adopters to test the software under conditions the beta testers couldn't duplicate.

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:05 PM
Online Now!

Miss Nancy! Ain't that the TRUTH! LOL

Tirjasdyn....... Where's my bucket? :0?

Thanks folks.

Life is a beta.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:05 PM

It may be the hair slowing you down though to be honest, your system sounds pretty decent (though you may want a beefier display card).  Did you set Poser to use more processes than just one? This may be slowing things down if you didn't. I myself am on a P4 with 2Gigs of Ram and a 512MB ATI card.  I have Photoshop, Poser7, Windows Media Player, Outlook Express, Firefox and IE running. My renders or a single character with hair usually takes a bit less than three or four minutes depending on the hair and textures. That's at the highest setting.  

You should fire off an email to tech support, as there may be something else slowing things down that you're not aware of.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:08 PM · edited Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:13 PM

How is it when rendering from the Manual settings tab ? The bucket size and other nifty tidbits can be found there. The Manual Settings tab is right next to the Automatic Settings.

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:22 PM
Online Now!

OK 
Found it..
Bucket size it says 64
Shadowcasting and Raytracing are off.
Displacement  0

I'm trying it like this and see what will happen.

Life is a beta.

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:27 PM
Online Now!

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_362234.jpg

OK 3 minutes on this one and it cam out OKish 

JPG compression 75

Life is a beta.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:28 PM

That's really odd, your settings are the same as mine.  I mean, up until yesterday anyway. I didn't switch on more processes than 1 until last night.  I would contact Tech Support, it sounds like there's something in your configuration that they may need to know about.

Giolon ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:34 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

PUT NUDITY WARNINGS IN YOUR POSTS!  Is it that hard?  Some of us browse the forums at work and rely on these things to avoid NSFW threads. :-p

(Marked for nudity to tag the thread properly)

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:35 PM
Online Now!

I am pleased to have got it to render at all TBH.

Are the time and render about right for that or not then?

Life is a beta.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:37 PM

Yes, that was an oversight on my part to remind ya - Nudity warnings are your friend. 

Depending on how complex that hair prop is, 3 minutes could be about right.

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:43 PM
Online Now!

Sorry about the nudity thing....

Didn't twig it was the first naughty posting...even without nipples LOL

Mind on about five diverse things at the moment TBH! :0/

Thanks for the input, folks.

Right.....On the face of it then, I just have the issue of the auto settings then, I suppose?

Life is a beta.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:48 PM

Looks that way. You should send a message to Tech Support so that the problem is logged and I'm going to make mention of it to the product manager just so he's aware. It'll be best if you make a Tech Support request though because you know your system and what else you have on it.

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:59 PM
Online Now!

Thanks for your help and patience ;0)

I'll do that, Teyon.

Uh Oh!

Links to support from the program aren't working either....Still links to curious-labs.

Tried substituting e-frontier...Not having much luck with that URL either.

Probably still the big download issue....

Ah well, I'll try another time.

Life is a beta.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 4:02 PM · edited Tue, 12 December 2006 at 4:04 PM

It looks like the site's having some issues at the moment, as I can't access them right now. It's probably a bit of overload with Poser's new launch. I'll speak with Uli tomorrow though, so he'll hear about your problem. He may not have an easy solution without you being able to provide your info so keep trying the TechSupport links.

Tomsde ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 4:28 PM

J-peg settings in Poser have always been tricky, even a slight increase in output quality can create nasty looking, pixellated images.  If you're planning on doing an post work on your images it's best to save as PSD (for photoshop users and Elements) or TIFF.  Yes they take more memory, but they won't degrade on you.

You could also try a P4 engine render, depending on the look your after that might be good enough for some things.

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 4:38 PM
Online Now!

Valid point, Tomsde.

I'll bear that in mind too, when reaching that stage.... :0/

Life is a beta.

Circumvent ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 6:56 PM

Thanks for every ones help with this problem.  It seems that Poser 7 is going backwards in regards of saving a quality image.  I've always saved my work in  a JPG format in Poser 6 with high quality and it looks great.  With Poser 7, the quality is horrible.  It seems I have to jump through hoops to make a normal JPG file that Poser 6 could do with no problems.  With Poser 7 it doesn't even come close to the quality of Poser 6 out of the box.  Is there some kind of setting that I'm missing?  TIA.

Adrian

Natolii ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 7:48 PM

I never save to JPG from Poser. I prefer to save to PSD and convert to Jpg in Paintshop where I can control the Compression and file sizes as needed.

This is a habit I adopted with Poser 5.

I don't have a problem with rendering. I have a preset I use and I don't see these issues at all.

Circumvent ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 7:55 PM

Yes most people save in a PSD format but what I'm trying to say is, why does Poser 6 allow you to save a really nice JPG but Poser 7 doesn't?  Poser 6 has always done that for me even though I shouldn't save my renders in a JPG format to begin with, but at least it gives me that option.  Poser 7 doesn't have that capability yet. 

Adrian

Natolii ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 8:13 PM

I see what you are saying (Looking at a Render I did in P7). Looks like they are using a standard Windows Dialog for saving, rather than the previous dialog.

Curious that.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 8:39 PM

I think this must be a bug.  The file size should not be the same for a JPG of highest quality vs. lowest quality.

Circumvent ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 8:47 PM

THAT'S exactly what I'm talking about.  I hope it's a bug because that should never be touched or modified.  Just my feelings.

Adrian

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 8:57 PM

I hope they fix this.  For stills, yes, you can save as a TIFF or some such thing.  But what about animation?  I usually render as a series of still images, so if Poser crashes, I can continue where I left off.  I usually use a quality of 70-80, and adjust the filesize in my animation app.  Rendering to TIFF would take a lot longer, then I'd have to convert to JPG, since my animation program doesn't do TIFF. 

tastiger ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:54 PM

I know with mine and I use 2 monitors - it pops up a "quality" selection box after you hit the save as jpg button - you can then select from 0% - 100% - However, mine comes up on monitor 2 so I'm not sure where it will pop up on a single screen.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Jules53757 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 2:45 AM
Online Now!

Found the same problem, doesn't matter what kind of quality settings I used for jpg's, in P 7 all renders have the same filesize and the same bad quality. :(

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

soulhuntre ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 3:23 AM

Quote - Rendering to TIFF would take a lot longer

Using JPG as an intermediate format is a bad, bad idea. The quality loss seams like a waste to me. That aside, renderign to TIF shoudln;t take any longer than JPG. Output format doesnt come into play at the render stage.

Sturm_und_Drang ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 3:51 AM

Hi all,

I found exactly the same bug in Poser 7 here, ie do a quick test render and try to save as a jpg.

First, they have changed the dialog box so you get to choose the quality in a separate box now, and they don't bother telling you which is the good and bad end (not that I need telling but all the same... :) )

Also, no matter what setting you choose, all jpgs are indeed coming out at low quality. A TIFF looks fine though.

What I did then was to go back to Poser 6 just to make sure I was not just getting something wrong. I opened the last scene I had done in 6, and before I actualy did a render, I clicked on the render tab, and there was my Poser 7 pic!

I did the render, made sure I was right about being able to change quality, and then when I dragged the slider over, my new P7 pic was still there in the render stack!

How, I have no idea, I accepted default folders for everything, I have versions 5, 6 and 7 on this machine, and 5 & 6 never interacted at all.

Anyway, this was late last night, so I gave up trying to figure it out and I am pleased to see this thread to bounce it around.

Circumvent ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 3:54 AM

I'm glad we all found the bug and lets hope they fix this with the first service release.  I'm guessing everything else works OK like PSD, TIFF ETC?  Thanks again.

Adrian 

Natolii ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 5:16 AM

Ratscloset has flagged this with Support.

http://www.contentparadise.com/forums/contentparadise/index.php?showtopic=2700&st=0&#entry18602

Circumvent ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 5:22 AM

Nat

Oh cool then lets hope that EF will fix this in the first SR.  Thanks for letting me know.

Adrian

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.