Fri, Oct 4, 12:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Has anyone used Poser on a web book?

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2010 at 10:43 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 1:55 AM

file_453151.jpg

My computer is failing. I am thinking of switching to a web book since I only use my computer for email, wikipedia, iTunes and Poser but can Poser run on a webbook? Do they typically have the graphics resources required? A web book is a tiny laptop sort of thing that typically has no DVD drive and is very light and has long battery life.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2010 at 11:11 AM

I tried running Poser 7 on my netbook...runs slow, but was doable. Poser 8...forget it...lol.

My netbook specs are as follows

1.3ghz Celeron
2 gigs ram
250 gig hd
Windows 7 full 64 bit.

My netbook has a little more punch than some I guess.

Laurie

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2010 at 3:25 PM

1.3 ghz celeron says it all.   :)  
I got a laptop from Walmart for $500 which is dual processor 2.1 ghz , 3gb or ram and was Vista.
If you can afford the extra cost its a much better system for any applications other than browser and email.  A desktop system of the same specs is now around $350.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2010 at 4:18 PM · edited Thu, 20 May 2010 at 4:19 PM

I got a netbook rather than a lappy because I didn't wanna carry luggage with me when I go to the doctor's office, the park, etc. ;o). The netbook fits the bill...lol. Everything else I have runs on it. Wings runs just fine as does video an music, so even if I can't get an internet wireless connection, I still has something to do ;o). Besides, my netbook really qualifies to be a nettop due to it's somewhat larger than normal netbook size. It's 11.7 inches. I can still get everything in a nice small case tho...lol.

Laurie

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2010 at 7:10 PM

I've tried running Poser several times on my netbook. I can run any version up to Poser 7. Poser 8 however refuses to run. It also runs Photoshop CS2 quite well (again, not the newer versions but CS2 can do most of everything anyway) And Hexagon of course. Basically it all works just fine.

The one I have is a Samsung NC10. 1 gb ram. 2 gb ram would probably help but since I mostly use it when I'm modeling small stuff elsewhere and just need to TEST it in Poser, it's ok.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2010 at 10:18 AM · edited Fri, 21 May 2010 at 10:19 AM

Cool. I was thinking of reverting to P6 if I got a net book. Would use P4 if not for the flat library structure and RAM memory limitation. P5 wasn't the most stable for me but P6 was very stable. Thank you for the info.

gagnonrich ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2010 at 10:45 AM

As a main computer, I wouldn't go the netbook route. You can get a more robust desktop computer for only a little more money and not be stuck with a small keyboard, less RAM, no DVD burner, and less computer speed. Right now, in the US, Staples is selling, for $299 (Office Depot has the same one with a rebate that drops the price by another $30):

Compaq CQ5300Y Computer, Q1859 18.5-in. LCD Widescreen. AMD Sempron LE processor. 2GB memory, 320GB Hard Drive, Lightscribe DVD +-RW Drive. Windows 7 Home Premium

I personally don't like Compaq computers, but you can always get more computer power in a desktop for less money than with a portable computer. The Compaq just happened to be the cheapest computer I could quickly find on sale in stores--to help illustrate that a netbook isn't necessarily a huge money saver.

With Poser, you want more RAM, more disk space, a faster processor, and a multicore processor to speed up renders. To back up Poser downloaded content, you'll want a DVD burner. There are portable burners for netbooks, but that's adding extra cost.

For portability, a netbook is my choice for mobile needs. I've been using Poser 5 on mine and it works very well with it. I'll never go back to a laptop again because I'm more than willing to trade off a smaller screen and keyboard for more portability and battery life and less weight. My computing needs on the road are less than they are when I'm home, so portability is a higher priority for me than other factors. Since I have wireless at home, a netbook is nice to be on the net while away from the desktop.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon

vilters ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2010 at 6:37 PM

I Run both, Poser 8 and PoserPro 2010 on twe netbooks

Asus 1OOOHA, 10.1" screen, 1GB RAM , a 270 processor, on Windows XP

Dell Netbook, 10.1 screen 1GB RAM , a 450 processor, on Windows 7 Starter pack.

2GB RAM would be a wise upgrade

No technical issues, but keep the scenes light.

Or use up to and including Judy.

Forget the zillion poly figures. The are not worth it anyway, :-)

Alyson Lo Res is a very good alternative.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2010 at 6:52 PM

Thanks vilters. I was thinking a DEL mini 10 with XP for the OS. I use only lo-res anyway so that would be no hardship. I'd probably try to find an aplication to resize all my textures to 1024 max dimension.

vilters ( ) posted Sat, 22 May 2010 at 3:08 AM · edited Sat, 22 May 2010 at 3:14 AM

Well, the ASUS has XP and my Dell mini has Windows7.

I think Windows 7 starter pack is the way to go. With the Windows 7 readyboost on a FAST SD card, all apps runs very well on the DELL. (It takes a week or 2, up to a month, for readyboost to realy cick-in. Then the speed increase becomes obvious.)

Only downside is the screen resolution that is a mere 1024x600 (on all those 10" netbooks). That is small for Poser, but doable. Personally I would go for at least a 12" screen. Still a small package but those have a sreen of 1366x728 (and go for the 2GB RAM). And most are single core dual treat.

PS, The Wifi on the Dell is better then on the ASUS.(on mine anyway)

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 22 May 2010 at 11:20 AM

Interesting. I had been thinking to use XP as opposed to Vista or Win& because of RAM size. I had not heard of ReadyBoost. DELL sells mini with XP where I am whereas if I buy a mini at a Bixg Box store it would have Win7.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 22 May 2010 at 11:24 AM · edited Sat, 22 May 2010 at 11:26 AM

Attached Link: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668496.php?rdr=v1722

I got my netbook at Newegg. Most of the newer ones have either Win7 Starter (which I wouldn't want) or Windows XP full (which I'd rather have) ;o).

Mine has Windows 7 64 bit full, but the one I bought was only one of maybe two or three that has that. ;o).

Laurie

vilters ( ) posted Sat, 22 May 2010 at 1:41 PM

When all setles down, I would go for Win7.

OK, the protections are there, but there is no way back, so better get used to it.

Readyboost itself is worth the difference. (or buy eboostr to do the same with XP)

Never-ever go Vista.......

But do the 2GB RAM upgrade.

And at least the 450 processor.

The N270 is a little on the light side for heavy progs.....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.