Wed, Sep 18, 7:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:30 pm)

Subject: I don't understand Texturing obviously. Why doesn't this work?

MacMyers ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:36 PM · edited Tue, 06 August 2024 at 8:02 PM

file_478007.jpg

Hi,

Before you jump on me for being too lazy and dumb to figure this out... please keep in mind that I actually AM too lazy and dumb to figure this out.

I've been creating dumb flat objects in Carrara 8 Pro and texturing them with an image. It works Great on ONE side..... the other side is invisible.

So I created a thin cube with 2 sides and two textures. Both sides visible... but misaligned.

So I created 2 flat planes, each with a separate texture....played around rotating them so both sides are visible. Misaligned no matter how flipped etc. Also tried using flipped textures.

Poser Pro 2012.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

MacMyers ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:36 PM

file_478008.jpg

And

MacMyers ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:36 PM · edited Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:37 PM

file_478009.jpg

And

MacMyers ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:38 PM

file_478010.jpg

And Finally.

What am I too stupid to understand?

PhilC ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:08 PM

It may depend on the default UV mapping currently applied to the objects. Have you created new UV mapping for the objects?

However I'm not entirely sure exactly how you have the scene set up. When you say that one side is invisible do you mean invisible in preview? If so that is to be expected if the polygons are facing away from the camera. They will become visible when rendered.

Are the two planes very close together? If so one may be causing interference with the other.

If you think I can help I'll be happy to look at what you have. Just save the scene and email me the PZ3 and the file texture in a zip. That way I'll be able to see exactly what you have and be able to give you a more accurate answer.

pcooke@philc.net

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:10 PM · edited Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:11 PM

UV Mapping, I believe.  Drop your object into a mapping prog and map it planar.

Save.  That should do the trick. 

Edit:

You could also try Cylindrical.  That should give you the same alignment for front and back. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:13 PM

I would use UV Mapper to examine the obj for each square and see where the uv map is located.

Objs in Poser are normlly uv mapped and that will determine what part of an image covers what part of the obj.

MacMyers ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 4:53 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions peeps. I really appreciate it. gives me some things to work on and hopefully I can learn something. I probably won't because I didn't realize it render correctly from both sides even if it doesn't show correctly in the preview. Thus I can Get by with that small bit of knowledge without actually having to better myself in any way.

It's a mapping issue for sure... and Carrara sets display ok in Carrara... but not in anything else apparently.

Phil. I would never presume to waste your valuable time with my nonsense but it  certainly speaks well of you (once again) that you'd even offer!

I was using 2 planes in the "example". I haven't come up with a good way to make muzzel flashes, fireballs etc. other than mapping an image to a plane and then duplicating the object, rotate to 45°, 90° etc...etc... so it's fisible from all sides.

My Gallery image "Splash one" shows how poorly this works however.

Thanks again all.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.