Thu, Sep 19, 9:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:35 am)

Subject: Poser 10 / 2014 is available for purchase now !!!!!

Virtual_World ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 9:16 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 12:51 PM

Attached Link: http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/#upgrade

I am dowloading now..........

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 9:24 PM

HAVE FUN everyone!

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 9:32 PM

I am about to order - but still hesitate because I am puzzled... I am ordering from Germany and this is the first time I have to pay tax. Usually I do not pay tax for digital good bought from the US. Anyone else wondering where this tax might go???

I'm not always right, but my mistakes are more interesting!

And I am not strange, I am Limited Edition!

Are you ready for Antonia? Get her textures here:

The Home Of The Living Dolls

mamba-negra ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 9:42 PM

I'd love to see some human renders using the new cartoon rendering stuff, if someone gets a chance. And some timing to know if they are faster than regular renders (I would think they would be)

noxiart ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 9:48 PM

"I am about to order - but still hesitate because I am puzzled... I am ordering from Germany and this is the first time I have to pay tax."

Same here.

$279.99 upgrade should be €217 but it wants to charge €237.28 ????

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 9:55 PM

I've asked the question over at RDNA as well (because it looks as if some officials from SM are around there at the moment) and hope to get an answer.

I am even more puzzled about what you have to pay! My Upgrade (PoserPro 2012 to PoserPro 2014) costs 169.48 + 32.20 = 201.68

So if you did not order something else these prices look pretty "random" to me...

jonnybode ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 9:57 PM

Same problem here, tax makes an upgrade from pro 2012 to pro 2014 cost $284 instead of $199.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 9:58 PM

it's California sales tax. New tax laws for e-busines here in  the states. if you buy something on-line from a busines in a state that has sales tax then you have to pay the sales tax.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 9:59 PM

Leaves the question who is getting the tax?? As far as I know a digital download is the same as a service/right to use something and (other than physical goods) no tax has to be payed as far as you are ordering from outside the US. But I may be wrong here.

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:00 PM

Cross posting - thanks for clarification, ghostship. Do you know who gets the tax?

ghostship2 ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:01 PM · edited Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:01 PM

my sales tax was only $18 US. not sure why you paid more...shipping maybe? California sales tax is like 9-10 %

ghostship2 ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:02 PM

it goes to pay for roads and schools here in california

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:06 PM

I see, California is starving as well (I know what you mean when talking about roads...). Yes, my tax is far higher, as more as the 32.20 are Euros. That's more than 41 $

noxiart ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:10 PM

So then Smith Micro is one of the only 1.4% e-commerce buisiness who actually collect that sales tax ?

Seems there is no penalty for companys who don't do it.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/22/marketplace-fairness-act/

Sorry, but this kind of stuff really doesn't sit well with me.

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:14 PM · edited Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:15 PM

I will follow the discussion for a another while and think I wait with ordering. While I will definitly get Poser 2014 I want to wait until things clear up. Hubby just said a wise thing: If there's something wrong you won't get your money back - because it's tax, and a country will never pay taxes back you payed voluntary.

mamba-negra ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:16 PM

I thought the state where the items were "being shipped" is where the taxes were going. So, since I live in Tennessee, when I make purchases it is tennessee state tax that I'm paying, not california, even if it is Amazon, Smith Micro or whomever. So far, when I purchase from Renderosity, I pay 10% extra (they are here in Nashville) :( When I buy from Daz, I don't currently pay tax. Though, I'm technically supposed to. 

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:21 PM

That was my impression too. If I order physical goods from the US (a while ago I did) I pay the tax here as long as my order is expensive enough. That means: I do not get my package from the postman but get a notification from the duty office and pick up my goods there by paying the import-tax. I never so far payed something for digital-goods...

noxiart ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:27 PM

file_494634.JPG

WTF ???

I wanted to bite the bullet and when I tried to pay with PayPal it now wants €45 TAX ON TOP OF THE €237 ????

THATS $363.00 instead of $279.99 to upgrade from poser 8 to PP-2014 ???

Sorry SM, not going to happen.

mamba-negra ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:27 PM

Well, since it's the first day, then perhaps it's just a glitch. I think the whole internet purchase & tax thing is being pushed really hard due to the state's dwindling resources. 

Hey! It just occurred to me that I have a long weekend this weekend...with a new poser...could be a good thing!

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:39 PM

I think that it is a glitch as well. I just tried to fool the site and managed to force the SM-order site to bill me in Dollars. And guess what: I would have payed less tax, had a better exchange rate and would have saved 11 Euros against my first trial.

The difference between your and my bill, noxi, may be the sidegrade (yours) versus the upgrade (mine). However: The limit for this strange tax seems to be the sky.

I have the strong feeling that there is something wrong. I want the new Poser but not so badly that I can't wait another day or two (or so) until things are sorted out. Better wait than having lots of boohey later when wanting money back. Saves me from pulling out my hair and saves some hairs to the folks at SM as well. But I would be happy if we can go on to discuss this here (in some hours, it's mornung here and I need to have at least some ours of sleep). If someone has new information please share it with us other puzzled folks. The thread at RDNA can be found here:

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?78922-A-question-about-tax

I was aked to open a ticket and will do so before I go to bed.

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:46 PM

Quote - I thought the state where the items were "being shipped" is where the taxes were going. So, since I live in Tennessee, when I make purchases it is tennessee state tax that I'm paying, not california, even if it is Amazon, Smith Micro or whomever. So far, when I purchase from Renderosity, I pay 10% extra (they are here in Nashville) :( When I buy from Daz, I don't currently pay tax. Though, I'm technically supposed to. 

This is correct. If you live in California, you pay California tax. If you live in Tennessee, you pay Tennessee's tax ;). Always the politicians with their hands out ;).

Laurie

ssgbryan ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:50 PM

Quote - > Quote - I thought the state where the items were "being shipped" is where the taxes were going. So, since I live in Tennessee, when I make purchases it is tennessee state tax that I'm paying, not california, even if it is Amazon, Smith Micro or whomever. So far, when I purchase from Renderosity, I pay 10% extra (they are here in Nashville) :( When I buy from Daz, I don't currently pay tax. Though, I'm technically supposed to. 

This is correct. If you live in California, you pay California tax. If you live in Tennessee, you pay Tennessee's tax ;). Always the politicians with their hands out ;).

Laurie

Policemen do not work for free.

Firemen do not work for free.

Roads don't build themselves.

I could go on, but I hope you get the point that civilization costs money.

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:53 PM

I absolutely get the point! But I do not get the point why a german or swedish citizen has to pay more tax as an US citizen... (as more as we do not use the roads over there - that's the reason why everybody pays sale-taxes to his home land).

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 10:57 PM

Quote - it's California sales tax. New tax laws for e-busines here in  the states. if you buy something on-line from a busines in a state that has sales tax then you have to pay the sales tax.

Except for download items. The California State Borad of Equalization does not require tax for intangible goods.

I actually went to the local office and asked personally.

Paolo

https://www.preta3d.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/RealityPlugIn
Tw: @preta3d
G+: https://plus.google.com/106625816153304163119
The Reality Gallery: https://reality-plug-in.deviantart.com

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2013 at 11:02 PM

Now that's interesting. It's the same law as here (the one that treats digital/dowloadable goods like a right to use something and not like a physical item). The ticket to SM is sent. I was told that people are back in the office in 11 hours - but Tori Porter is still or already online and asked me to sent my question directly to SM. I added the fact that people are paying very different taxes and that changing the currency to Dollars would have saved me some Dollars. Let's hope that things get sorted out soon before a big chaos of refunds or at least complaints raises up.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 12:05 AM

Well I paid it a whopping £29.97 which is 20% which is around $45 I guess.  I have noticed this a few times in past form other sites, even for digital downloads, but this is the first time I have paid for a Poser Download by SM. 

I my defence I have had toothache for almost four weeks, no I am not afraid of dentists, well not much, but I had one extracted and it all went painfully wrong.  If that is not enough I have now done my hip in and can only walk a few steps at a time so I am stuck for most the day either in bed or at my computer.  The tax is annoying but nothing compared to my dental bill and I desperately need something to cheer me up.  Finally I am used to paying in pounds what the people in the US pay in dollars and budget accordingly.

Downloading now and hang the expense

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 12:16 AM

The download manager seems a nice touch particularly for those with limited download speeds as you are able to select the whole massive download in small chunks.  Still some big chunks mind but I guess you can expect that with something as complex as Poser. 

You can pause the download so if it fails I guess that you can attempt a resume, I say guess, because I am not going to stop it to find out.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 12:17 AM · edited Tue, 21 May 2013 at 12:21 AM

On my reciept was a link to their W-9 tax form...but no shipping info. hopefully that will be emailed in the morning.

SaintFox ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 12:40 AM

I am still working with SM, they are very supportive and fast. My full smpathy goes to you, hornet. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about, hubby is in the same situation and I am "looking forward" to a surgery because several things need to be fixed in my jaw.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 12:52 AM

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have been!

Paloth ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 12:53 AM

I hope Smith Micro makes enough money from Poser to provide free re-downloads without additional charge in the future like the more successful businesses do.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Paloth ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 12:56 AM

BTW, no sales tax for my California digital download. God forbid if governments start taxing internet data transactions to fund their grotesque misallocations.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 12:58 AM

Quote - I am still working with SM, they are very supportive and fast. My full smpathy goes to you, hornet. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about, hubby is in the same situation and I am "looking forward" to a surgery because several things need to be fixed in my jaw.

I hope all goes well, both with the dentist and SM.  My problem was I had a tooth die (Yep I am that old) and had to have it drilled then, within days I managed to crack the tooth behind it.  We only found that the tooth had cracked after he had drilled the other tooth thinking it had become infected.  The extraction then did not heal but I am also diabetic so I have problems with anything healing anyway.

Back on to better news - I have downloaded the main Poser 2012 and it installed with no problems.  I am now in the middle of downloading the modules so I hope to be doing some serious playing later in the morning.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 1:07 AM

Quote - BTW, no sales tax for my California digital download. God forbid if governments start taxing internet data transactions to fund their grotesque misallocations.

I think there is a ruling in the EU that web sites outside the EU collect taxes on their behalf.  In the US some do and some don't.  In the UK we should pay 17.5% but on those sites that do collect the tax 20% appears the norm.  I am not sure what it is in other parts of the EU but years ago when I lived in Sweden it was 27.9%.

I still doubt that the EU gets much, if any of this money. If this is the case I guess it goes into company profits.  In this case if it goes to SM I am not too bothered as I enjoy Poser so much, which is more than I can say for the EU...whoops sorry that is political (slaps wrist hard)

SaintFox ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 1:26 AM

I do not want to make guesses who keeps the extra-profit. No, I don't - too many companies are involved (SM, credit card copanies, Firstspring who process the order, Paypal). But why is it possible to fool around with choosing US in the process above and then pay less (US tax, I think)?

FordieLordie ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 1:32 AM

Does anyone know if the Download manager automatically grabs the 64 bit version if your system supports it? I couldn't really find that option inside the manager itself.

MargyThunderstorm ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 1:48 AM · edited Tue, 21 May 2013 at 1:56 AM
Online Now!

It does. You can choose 32 and/or 64 bit during the installation process of Poser Pro 2014. P10 is a 32bit version only.

FordieLordie ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 4:09 AM

Thanks! Downloading Pro atm :)

RGUS ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 4:17 AM

Don't worry Meike... even us poor bloody Kiwis way down under have to pay this damn tax... oh and look... it's already available on those sites for free that we aren't allowed to mention. Downloading my expensive legite version now.

12rounds ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 4:31 AM · edited Tue, 21 May 2013 at 4:37 AM

I'm being asked 19.4 percent as taxes for the digital download, but the physical product is somehow magically tax-free (and thus almost 20% cheaper than the digital download). Don't know what to say.

wimvdb ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 4:37 AM

Quote - I'm being asked 19.4 percent as taxes for the digital download, but the physical product is somehow magically tax-free (and thus almost 20% cheaper than the digital download). Well ... perhaps later it will appear on Amazon.uk. 

Have you tried switching to US currency in the cart? That seems to make a difference. I have no idea about the taxes itself. I am used to pay VAT, so not really a surprise. For digital downloads it usually depends on the company doing the payment handling. If they have offices in EU they usually (but not always) charge VAT if you are paying from a EU state.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 4:45 AM

Quote - I'm being asked 19.4 percent as taxes for the digital download, but the physical product is somehow magically tax-free (and thus almost 20% cheaper than the digital download). Don't know what to say.

If the physical shipment is to the UK you get stung as it comes in to the country as many found out with their Poser 9/ Poser 2012 purchase a few years ago.

12rounds ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 5:00 AM

Quote - > Quote - I'm being asked 19.4 percent as taxes for the digital download, but the physical product is somehow magically tax-free (and thus almost 20% cheaper than the digital download). Don't know what to say.

If the physical shipment is to the UK you get stung as it comes in to the country as many found out with their Poser 9/ Poser 2012 purchase a few years ago.

Actually most physical stuff I've bought the last decade or so from Asia/USA slip past customs (like DVDs, miniature gaming stuff etc). If it does not, then there's import duties to be payed - still would be looking at roughly the same sum as I would have to pay for the digital download. Anyways ... I'm not in a hurry to get the new toy so personally I'll just wait some months and weigh my options.

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 5:19 AM

Actually most physical stuff I've bought the last decade or so from Asia/USA slip past customs (like DVDs, miniature gaming stuff etc). If it does not, then there's import duties to be payed - still would be looking at roughly the same sum as I would have to pay for the digital download. Anyways ... I'm not in a hurry to get the new toy so personally I'll just wait some months and weigh my options.

I take your point and you can be lucky and have such parcels slip through, it is a gamble at the end of the day.  I was just aware that some people in the UK paid a lot more for their physical copy than they would have if they had downloaded.  To some it was a horrible shock.  To people who are aware, like yourself, it is just a question of weighing up the options and comparing that with what you are prepared to pay.  That said last time there was no tax involved so the picture has changed.

DarrenUK ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 5:55 AM

Quote - > Quote - In the UK we should pay 17.5% but on those sites that do collect the tax 20% appears the norm.

VAT in the UK hasn't been 17.5% for a least well over a year. It went down a bit for a while to encourage people to spend, but then went up to 20%.

I ordered the physical upgrade from 2012 as my broadband tends to timeout with very large files.

Cost me £143.96 a bit more than I was expecting, but there was no tax added. I assume that import duty etc will be added when they deliver it to me.

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 6:11 AM · edited Tue, 21 May 2013 at 6:15 AM

California is bankrupt.  None of the tax goes to roads or schools.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

hornet3d ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 6:55 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - In the UK we should pay 17.5% but on those sites that do collect the tax 20% appears the norm.

VAT in the UK hasn't been 17.5% for a least well over a year. It went down a bit for a while to encourage people to spend, but then went up to 20%.

I ordered the physical upgrade from 2012 as my broadband tends to timeout with very large files.

Cost me £143.96 a bit more than I was expecting, but there was no tax added. I assume that import duty etc will be added when they deliver it to me.

Of course you are right, sorry, I had been up since the early hours as I was in too much pain to sleep.  Looking on the bright side it did allow me to do an early download of the new software.  Other than the brief period you mention I cannot remeber how long it has been 20% but certainly long enough for me to know and I really ought to have my brain in gear before typing.

As I don't know exactly what rate the bank will charge me on a given day I always budget on the cost of any purchase being the same in pounds as it is in dollars.   With software purchases I always expect to pay the Tax, it was just a surprise this morning as I had not done so for Poser before.  If I get away without paying it fine but if not so be it. 

I sometimes wonder how much long Poser content will remain tax free. 

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 7:09 AM

Interesting.  I guess I'll hold off for awhile, until they get this sorted.  As I recall, DAZ was incorrectly charging people for downloadable content when they first starting charging tax too.  New York state does not tax downloadable software, for example, but DAZ charged me anyway. 

I'm visiting family and friends this week, and wouldn't have much time for Poser anyway, so it's not too much of a hardship.  ;-)

And speaking of DAZ, their newsletter today offers 50% off Poser content...that you can "use in your new Poser without DSON."  I wish they'd bring back their Poser store, to make it easy to find stuff that doesn't need DSON all the time.

Pandarr ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 7:27 AM

I live in the United States and outside of California.  No sales tax on my upgrade from 2012 to 2014.

thd777 ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 7:31 AM

From Poser_Stefan over at RDNA:

"It's not FastSpring's job to write or enforce tax laws, but it is their job to follow them.

"For the non-EU supplier whose EU customers are non-business individuals or organisations, there will now be an obligation to charge and account for VAT on these sales just as EU suppliers have to do."

Source:
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...1610_en.htm#a1 "

TD

anupaum ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2013 at 8:44 AM · edited Tue, 21 May 2013 at 8:46 AM

Odd.  I just ordered my physical copy and didn't pay any tax at all. I live in British Columbia . . .

Just last week, I heard that the US Senate passed a bill that requires retailers to charge state sales tax for online sales, but I hadn't heard that it passed the House, nor have I heard that Mr. Obama signed it.  So, perhaps those of you who've been charged tax have probably been charged prematurely? Is it state sales tax, or the EU's VAT you've been charged?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=181805307

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.