Wed, Sep 18, 7:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Poser 9 for $29.99 from SM

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 8:05 AM · edited Fri, 23 August 2024 at 11:05 AM

Download version.  Expires 9/30...

http://mysmithmicro.com/marcom/eblasts/smithmicro/20130910/index-web.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Cimarron ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 8:19 AM

Downloading now:)

After using Daz for so long I can't wait to try Poser.....feel sure I'll be a frequent poster in the Help threads lol!

Casette ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:04 AM

"This is the moment, this is the day..."

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

Cimarron ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:05 AM

It sure is, getting nervous already reading about the runtime setups;)

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:10 AM

What's missing from Poser 9 Vs PoserPro2012?

mo·nop·o·ly  [muh-nop-uh-lee]
noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market,
or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices

ErickL88 ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:20 AM

@Joe,

here is a big "Feature comaprison chart":

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/#compare

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:25 AM

Does that still aply to 9/2012?

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:40 AM

Yep, just follow the Poser 9 options down the page and check with the PP2012 options in the section to it's left.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:45 AM

And if you want to use Dawn, Poser 9 is the lowest you can go due to weight mapping.

All the best.

Grea6t Uncle LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:54 AM

Eeh! New users ahead :D

Welcome :D

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 10:01 AM

At that price, grab it!!!!!!

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 10:03 AM

Thanks.

No interst in Dawn. It looks like you can't make wight maps in 9. That's a bummer.
I'll do the math and see if the 9 to 2014 upgrade is better than my 7 to 2014.

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 11:32 AM

LOL@

Trekgirl.

Starchild did the render.

I made the Amazin Armor. ;-)

I know my way around Cr2.

Hell, I've been hand editing OBJ's in a text editor since 1999.

And obviously I've got some kind of modeling skills. ;-)

Actually, I wonder if anyone has updated the CR2 Autopsy to explain all the new stuff.

But new user? More like Return of the Dragon. }:D

Cimarron ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 3:50 PM

Before I install, is there a "you-beaut no-brainer Poser runtime setup in a box ?

"...just a thought as I just know I'll make a dog's dinner of the runtime as I already have info overload;)

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 6:05 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2013 at 6:10 PM

Quote - Before I install, is there a "you-beaut no-brainer Poser runtime setup in a box ?

"...just a thought as I just know I'll make a dog's dinner of the runtime as I already have info overload;)

If using Windows Vista or higher, make sure the included content is installed outside of the C:Program Files hierarchy; by default it puts it in Shared Documents, IIRC, but I have a folder called Poser Library where I keep all of my Poser runtimes, including the included content. 

The only things that should be installed to the Poser Program runtime are: scripts that you want to appear on the Scripts Menu, Face Room heads for Apollo, Miki and the G2 figures such as Jessi and James if you have them, Wardrobe Wizard support files, and Add-Ins, such as DSON importer (currently free form DAZ) and Reality.

Be sure to grab Scenefixer and EZSkin 2 here; in fact, all of these are pretty useful...

http://www.snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

PS: grab SR 3.1 and the Content update; SM usually does not patch the downloadable program files... 

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser9-updates.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Cimarron ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2013 at 9:28 PM

Thanks WandW, I've already thrown in the towel 3 times! 

Everything that could go wrong did..(.Using Win 7 Pro) wouldn't recognise my serial number/flash wouldn't load through chrome, couldn't download the updates...but I  got though those hiccups and so far Ihave managed a very nice render of boxes and balls;)

Yet to tackle runtimes but think I'll have a break.

...although I did go to the content tab and noticed unzip downloads, and thought this looks too easy...so I did...mmm..now  they're nowhere to be found, guess I'll have to address this later.

Oh joy...can't wait to have this sorted to play around;)

gloomy007 ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 3:11 AM

file_498120.jpg

Cimarron runtimes are really easy to set up ;) 

If you already have runtimes for DAZ Studio with poser paths, you can point Poser there.

The unzip downloads go to the "Downloads" runtime  in your poser directory (Poser 9/downloads)

To set up custom runtimes you just open poser. look on your library tab, below the cathegories it is saying what library you are in, you click on the arrow to move to another one, next to it is a button in shape of folder and plu on it, pushin it will allow you to add runtime directory to your library

DAZ Studio Coordinator.

You can contact me in english.

Jij kan mij berichtje sturen in Nederlands,

Mozesz sie ze mna skontaktowac po Polsku

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 3:30 AM

I've actually make seperate runtimes for every product I have.

I started WAY back in the Poser4 days. I stripped everything out of the default runtime until I had one that with nothing in it that didn't crash poser.

Then I made a copy of that and renamed it to blank.

Then I installed each product in it's own runtime and renamed them.

When I wanted a scene, I just copied all the runtimes I needed into a black one and only had to deal with what I wanted to work with.

It was awesome.

I was so happy when mutiple runtime were supported.

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 4:29 AM

If you can, get Library Manager 2.6 from over at RDNA. Yep, expensive, but it will make your life so much easier!!!!

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

Cimarron ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 6:52 AM

This is great, I already have Poser runtimes setup for Daz and didn't realise I could just point Poser to it...:)

Can't wait to try it, Thank you:)

Quote - Cimarron runtimes are really easy to set up ;) 

If you already have runtimes for DAZ Studio with poser paths, you can point Poser there.

The unzip downloads go to the "Downloads" runtime  in your poser directory (Poser 9/downloads)

To set up custom runtimes you just open poser. look on your library tab, below the cathegories it is saying what library you are in, you click on the arrow to move to another one, next to it is a button in shape of folder and plu on it, pushin it will allow you to add runtime directory to your library

Cimarron ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 6:55 AM

Quote - If you can, get Library Manager 2.6 from over at RDNA. Yep, expensive, but it will make your life so much easier!!!!

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

I was looking at that and wondered whether it would be a Godsend. Daz is very forgiving with runtimes or perhaps it's just I know it so well...but Poser had me breaking out in a cold sweat lol!
thank you will check it out again:)

Cimarron ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 7:00 AM

Quote - I've actually make seperate runtimes for every product I have.

I started WAY back in the Poser4 days. I stripped everything out of the default runtime until I had one that with nothing in it that didn't crash poser.

Then I made a copy of that and renamed it to blank.

Then I installed each product in it's own runtime and renamed them.

When I wanted a scene, I just copied all the runtimes I needed into a black one and only had to deal with what I wanted to work with.

It was awesome.

I was so happy when mutiple runtime were supported.

Thanks Joe:) I have multiple Poser runtimes setup for Daz, from what I understand I'll be able to bring them into Poser...now that would be fantastic as I can't wait to play! My squares and ball lighting looked great..can't wait to play with some figures:)

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 8:16 AM · edited Wed, 11 September 2013 at 8:17 AM

The advantage of LM2.6 that you never need to use the inbuilt Poser library.

Plus, you have 16 items in a folder for a clothing set. None of that load, conform, load conform stuff. Select them all and then hit the conform button and away it goes!!! lol.

I would NEVER be without my LM2.6.

Another thing, when you add a new runtime to the inbuilt Poser library, it automatically adds it to the LM2.6 library.

All the best.

Great Uncle LROG

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 8:24 AM

When you install Poser, use the option at the bottom. Something like "for older version of Poser" - I cant' remember the actual wording. Thing is, that will completely rid you from any UAC issues with Vista/Win7. It makes a P4 style installation with a normal runtime to put things into. From thereon you can make / link to as many runtimes as you like. 

My own installation is a mess L 90 of my stuff is in a (formerly) PBooost'ed Poser 4 runtime, then there's a few things in Poser 5, 6 and 7. More in 8. Quite a bit in PP2010 and 2012 and all the new stuff is in the PP2014 runtime. Makes me VERY happy for the (excellent) search option in Poser. Yesterday I wanted my "Trekkie's Reflective Floor" I made once - I think in Poser 6. So I asked Poser to look in Materials for something called "Trekkie" - and a few moments later, there it was, ready to click :) As long as you can remember even parts of the name of something, the search function is really good.

Another great thing is that you can make collections. Like shortcuts to your most used content. Put Dawn and V4 int hat and they're there together even if they physically resides in two different runtimes on the computer.

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

Cimarron ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 8:52 AM

Yes TrekkieGrrl, I used the Classic or Traditional installation;)

I just managed to pull the Tin man RDNA from my external runtime, worked fine too although I haven't got my head around textures and the rest, so that part works.

...but I'm having a big issue with trying to install the Poser 9 content, unzip, right click and up pops a window with " Poser could not be found, installation maybe incomplete or relocated" so I point to Smith Micro folder, but another window pops up with Poser cannot be found...doesn't matter how far I go down the tree, I keep getting the same answer.

The funny thing is a few weeks ago I helped a friend with Poser 2012,she had Win 7 too and I managed to setup the runtime, import and get V4 in....from what I remember Poser 2012 installed to two places, one (x86) but mine has only installed in (x86).  

Wondering if I should have paid more attention to the installation...ah well,.tomorrow is another day and I just know sooooon I'll be able to play with all the amazing Poser characters and props I have in their native playground.

Great Uncle LROG, LM2.6 is looking better by the hour...that, or I upgrade to 2012 before I go nuts;)

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 9:12 AM · edited Wed, 11 September 2013 at 9:17 AM

Quote - When you install Poser, use the option at the bottom. Something like "for older version of Poser" - I cant' remember the actual wording. Thing is, that will completely rid you from any UAC issues with Vista/Win7. It makes a P4 style installation with a normal runtime to put things into. From thereon you can make / link to as many runtimes as you like.

No No NO!  The default is the default for a reason, that reason being UAC.  Only choose the traditional method if you have Poser installed outside of C:Program Files, or if you are running Windows XP....

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3887804&ebot_calc_page#message_3887804

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 9:13 AM

When you say unzip I reckon you are talking about .exe installers? Because a normal zip won't care about whether there's a Poser.exe present or not.

One thing you can try is to make an empty file called Poser.exe (just a text file renamed) on top of where your Runtime is (in the same folder as the Runtime) - that may trick the installer into doing what it's supposed to do: Install your paid content :)

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 9:20 AM

If you are installing DAZ content, use DAZ Install Manager and point it to the appropriate external runtime...

http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info

Cimarron ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2013 at 4:28 PM

Trekkie, the extra Poser 9 content are exe's in zip files.
I came across that idea somewhere of putting a dummy txt file;)

WandW My Daz is fine, already have externalPoser  runtimes setup for  Daz and I'm able to import them to Poser, it's just the Poser content that won't play nice.

I did the Traditional/Classic as everything I read from other users experiences suggested it would be best...but late last night I found and Poser 9 installation help video and it was recommending the UAC .

Thank you all again for your help...feel like a kid been given a gift at Christmas with no batteries;)
I'll try the dummy txt file, then I might to a re-install. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.