Mon, Sep 23, 12:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 10:18 pm)

Subject: Need help with Poser 9 and DSON, M5

farsunset ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 12:15 AM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 6:47 AM

Hi:

Long story short.I purchased the complete Poser 9 from Smith Micro, installed it, and all the most recent versions of the DSON import plugin and related files and Michael 5.The installation had no errors or problems.

Problem is that when I try to load Michael 5 or any of the DSON scripts or utilities I get  the same python error dialog box pops up saying " No module named DSON." The module is there, as are all the files. In addition to doing everything in the installation docs, I have spent weeks scouring forums and blogs on the net and have followed any advice or tips to no avail.  

The worst and most frustrating part of all this is the fact that I dont have any desire to use Poser 9. I use Poser 7 and dont see any need to change, I prefer the interface. The only reason I did all this is that I need to get an idea of how well the genesis character works in Poser, such as importing BVH motion files and applying .pz2 motion poses. Additionally I needed to see if it is possible to export the M5 charcter rig out as a BVH so that I can import it into different applications.  I have a website where I sell motion sequence sets for Poser and DAZ characters, mostly M4 and V4, and my goal for the new year is to convert them to work with genesis. To do that I need the rig in either fbx or bvh format so I can use motion editing apps to do the conversions.

I am looking for someone who can get this working and / or export Michael 5/6 and Victoria 5/6 from their working setup. Willing to pay or let that person have their choice of any of the motion sets on my web site. Preferably someone who lives in or near my area of Corona, California. ( About an hour east of LA)

Thanks and hoping for assistance, any of which would be appreciated.

goldie ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 1:51 AM · edited Mon, 28 October 2013 at 1:56 AM

well, not to rain on your parade, i too tried the DSON plugin and it messed up my Poser9 so badly, that i had to reinstall it...i tried it out of curiousity, but really have no plans of using genesis since i have a boat load of the generation 4 stuff and see no real advantages of going to the 5/6 generations...and i simply don't care for Ds--each time they upgrade it seemed you had to upgrade all your plugins, etc.  as well--no bargain there, even if the base program is free...

yet, i do hope someone can help you with your problem--you might get a better result if you posted you query at the Daz forum though.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 5:25 AM

file_499154.png

when you look in your scripts menu from within poser, there is a menu at the top bar called scripts, do you see the DSON stuff showing up there?  There should be.

Are you mac or PC?

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

JoePublic ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 5:55 AM

The DSON importer itself has to be installed to the python folder of your Poser installation. In my case it is

C:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser Pro 2014RuntimePythonaddons

Everything else Genesis related goes into a new runtime you first have to create and link to Poser.

JoePublic ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2013 at 6:29 AM · edited Mon, 28 October 2013 at 6:30 AM

file_499156.JPG

A screenshot of the files that should be in the dson folder inside your python addons:

And yes, you might have better luck solving your problem over at the DAZ forums.

raven ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2013 at 5:17 AM

Also you need to make sure you have the latest service pack applied to Poser for DSON to work. The latest is SR3.1, updating Poser 9 to version 9.0.3.23027

icprncss2 ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2013 at 9:01 AM

Be prepared for the dread "library lock". 

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2013 at 11:00 AM

Library lock isn't inevitable. It can be avoided in some cases by turning off the progress bar in Scripts>DSON Suport>Importer preferences, though it may still happen during morph transfer.

splinefit ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2013 at 8:46 PM

I'm brand new to this. Does the DSON importer get installed by the Daz install Manager?  If so, how?  I'm trying to install now and I keep getting this message:

• Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "DSON Importer for Poser (Mac 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Poser Pro 2014, Pro 2012 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.
  • Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "DSON Importer for Poser BETA (Mac 64-bit) Public Build" requires that the installed path for "Poser Pro 2014, Pro 2012 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again. 

I've followed instructions from someone at Daz to go to the gear icon and then applications and then specifying a path but this message keeps popping up.  Also, I specify 64bit but then it seems to revert to 32bit on the file name on the install page.  I'm on a Mac 64bit using Mavericks.    

Thanks

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2013 at 9:45 PM

Splinefit...  Far be it from me to discourage anyone from using Poser, but...if you're brand new to all this, why not just use DAZ Studio?  It's free, and Victoria 6 works natively in it, without the need for an importer.

splinefit ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2013 at 9:53 PM

A big part of the reason is that I started using Poser because afer reading some of the forums I got the sense that it's a better program than Daz.  So I've been using Poser for a week or so and am starting to get the hang of it.  But I never realized how difficult using non Poser figures would be.  

Is Daz easy to use?  Would it be crazy to try to learn both so I don't have to deal with the importer?  I'm just trying to make a video for a website (about 2-3 minutes long).  I've got the bedroom sets and Miki4 which will be used in the video but I didn't like any of the other characters from Poser and I found Victoria 6 which like I said I didn't realize how much work it would be just to get started using her in poser.  

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2013 at 10:45 PM

A lot of people do use both Poser and DAZ Studio.

I don't use DAZ Studio myself, but I'm told it's easier to learn than Poser.  DAZ wanted it to be user-friendly. (Not sure if that holds true for animation, though.)

Another possibility would be to use Victoria 4 instead.  She works natively in Poser and does not require the DSON importer. 

splinefit ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2013 at 11:07 PM

A couple of things I read.  

One is that the DSON can be copied and pasted directly to the Poser folder.  

The other was something about saving or exporting the Victoria 6 as a cr2 (I think it was) and opening it in poser that way.  

Do you know anything about either of those and how they're done or if it's a good option? 

I'm not sure trying to use both programs is going to make things any easier after thinking about it.  If it was just learning how to use it that'd be ok, but getting stuck when you're trying learn and having to figure out what you're doing wrong would be a nightmare to do for both Daz and Poser, it's been time consuming enough with just Poser so far.  

I was looking at the DSON importer description on the Daz site and it talks about Poser 9 and Poser Pro 2012.  It doesn't even say whether it works in Poser 10, so I don't know if that's part of the problem.  

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2013 at 11:19 PM

The DSON importer should work the same in Poser 10 as in Poser 9.  But as you've found out, Poser and DSON don't always play nicely together. 

Many of us who have used Poser for years gave up on DAZ figures after Victoria 4. For me, it's not worth the headache, so I'm afraid I have no experience in exporting V6 as a CR2.  Maybe someone else will weigh in.

splinefit ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2013 at 11:26 PM

I appreciate your input.  

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to get it to work, it's kind of unbelievable they're advertising it to work with Poser and then it doesn't, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised.  I'll give it another few days after the holiday weekend.  It doesn't seem like Daz is being very responsive today. 

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 9:14 AM

To install the DSON Inporter with the Install Manager click the gear icon at top-right of the DIM interface to get to preferences, then go to the Applications tab. If there's already an entry for your version of Poser check that the path is correct - click the ... button next to it and set the correct path if not. If your version of Poser isn't listed at all, click the + button at the bottom of the dialogue, set the application to Poser, set the version number and bit-depth, and click the ... button to set the path.

splinefit ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 10:36 AM

Quote - To install the DSON Inporter with the Install Manager click the gear icon at top-right of the DIM interface to get to preferences, then go to the Applications tab. If there's already an entry for your version of Poser check that the path is correct - click the ... button next to it and set the correct path if not. If your version of Poser isn't listed at all, click the + button at the bottom of the dialogue, set the application to Poser, set the version number and bit-depth, and click the ... button to set the path.

I've done all of that but it doesn't list Poser 10.  Also, my Mac is 64bit but after I get back to the path box it's listed as 32bit.  

I'm not clear as to what the path is supposed to be.  So far I've been choosing the folder where the Poser.app is located.  I also tried the python folder but that didn't work either.  

The name listed on the line in the applications tab says DazStudio4.5, there's only one line populated.  Should that say DSON like it does on the "ready to install" tab where the que is?  And should there be 2 apps listed?  On the ready to install page there are two products listed. 

DSON importer for poser (64bit Mac) and DSON importer for poser Beta (64bit) public build.

It kinda leads me to be unsure about what's going on. 

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 1:21 PM

P10 is only a 32-bit application; the PoserPro versions are both 32- & 64-bit.  That puts you in a disadvantage concerning which platform to select.  In this case, P10 is not supported under the 64-bit end.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2013 at 2:07 PM

I get 10 as an option if I select Poser, and then as hborre says it has to be 32 bit as that's all there is. And yes, you select the folder with the Poser .app file.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.