Fri, Aug 2, 10:09 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 31 8:13 pm)

Subject: DAZ bundling IRay with Studio (for free)

ghonma ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 1:02 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 10:03 PM

Interesting bit of news this:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/03/prweb12570220.htm

I wonder if SM will do anything to compete ?

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 1:04 PM

And this pertains to a Poser forum how?

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 1:15 PM

I guess maybe some folks are wondering if Poser will have the same or something similar come next version? 

ghonma ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 1:25 PM · edited Wed, 11 March 2015 at 1:26 PM

And this pertains to a Poser forum how?

Right now the first page of this forums has threads about jokes of the day, a posing doll, an announcement about a con appearance, and a thread about the Indian film industry.. Are you seriously saying that this is more OT then that ?

I guess maybe some folks are wondering if Poser will have the same or something similar come next version?

Exactly. Personally I have zero interest in what posing tool anyone uses. I just think it is interesting that DAZ, which already had a decent renderer in 3delight are adding GPU rendering. If SM decide to compete by doing the same for Poser it would be the single most exciting development in Poser since forever.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 1:46 PM

Yes, actually I am saying it's more OT than any of those.

I don't give a flip what DAZ does.

If I cared what DAZ had to offer, I would use DS.

ghonma ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:09 PM

Well then the best thing to do would be to limit yourself to your Glitterati3D-approved(tm) threads and not pollute the threads of others...

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:20 PM

The pollution consists of DAZ threads in a POSER FORUM.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:30 PM · edited Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:32 PM

Pay glitter no mind, Ghonma.. she was all in Hivewire's DAZ forum trying to disrupt: 

http://hivewire3d.com/forum/showthread.php?2491-WOW-DAZ-Studio-just-took-the-next-leap!-OH-MY-GOD!&p=86684&viewfull=1#post86684

This news truly must be eating you up inside to be over in that part of the forum, trying to misinform. What was that "tech" newsletter again?

ghonma ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:39 PM

The pollution consists of DAZ threads in a POSER FORUM.

And again i'm politely asking you to leave if you don't like this thread. Report it to the mods if you must.

Back on topic, if DAZ keep this thing free then maybe this could become a nice option for rendering Poser scenes as well ? lux is slow and octane is expensive and high end renderers don't have much support for poser... Could scripts be written to allow scene setup in Poser and rendering in DS/iRay ?

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:41 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha, I have a stalker!

Oh, and yeah, the reviewer was right.  I does NOT do SSS.  Nor does it do motion blur.  Forgot what the 3rd thing was.

Isn't it funny......DAZ vendors have no better use of their time than stalking me.  Huh!

RawArt ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:48 PM

Actually DAZ PA's like to keep up with what is happening on most forums. It gives us information on the state of the industry and provides ideas for the future growth.

So I would not take it as someone personally stalking you...it is just general information hunting.

But you have to admit...the nonsense you put out sometimes can really be entertaining, so hard to forget.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:49 PM

ROFL, and here comes the DAZ Gang.

Hence, proving my point that a DAZ thread in a Poser forum is a really, really, really bad idea.

RawArt ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:52 PM

"Could scripts be written to allow scene setup in Poser and rendering in DS/iRay ?"

That is a good question, and really should be looked into by someone good with writing scripts for poser (way out of my league).

Rawn

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:52 PM · edited Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:53 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha, I have a stalker!

Oh, and yeah, the reviewer was right.  I does NOT do SSS.  Nor does it do motion blur.  Forgot what the 3rd thing was.

Isn't it funny......DAZ vendors have no better use of their time than stalking me.  Huh!

Funny indeed, watching you fly off the deep end is always worth a good giggle, Roxanne. But these people are trying to have a discussion and the OP asked you politely to leave.  

"I does NO do SSS" <- yes we see from your renders.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:53 PM

Hence, proving my point that a DAZ thread in a Poser forum is a really, really, really bad idea.

One can always count on at least one of the 3 stooges to show up.
Truly, I wonder how they have time to peruse so many threads on so many storefronts, since they are so busy making money hand over fist over at DAZ (Or so they claim).

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:54 PM · edited Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:55 PM

"I does NOT do SSS" <- yes we see from your renders.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:56 PM

Truly, I wonder how they have time to peruse so many threads on so many storefronts, since they are so busy making money hand over fist over at DAZ (Or so they claim).

Well, MM is never alone.  He always comes with backup.  Poor little guy can't seem to stalk people by himself. 
But, yeah, the same question.........so busy, yet so much free time to stalk people.

Khory_D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:57 PM

Glitterati how much would you like to bet that it does not do SSS? Want to put your money where your mouth is? Though really, it isn't fair since I am sitting right here looking at the settings.. The third thing was it doesn't use shaders from a different render engine as standard. That is a surprise right? Because ever other render engine can use the shaders from each other..Oh wait none of them can. You got me on the motion blur though.. I've never used it so I'm not crushed and I doubt many other people will be. I don't care about the big program vs program battle your so into but I really dislike to read an out and out fib in print.

www.Calida3d.com
Daz studio and Poser content creators

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 2:58 PM

I did like to say after you posted your bashing of Dusk at hivewire.. cudos to those people for shutting your rant down without my appearance, even though you threw my name in there. Which Dawn items had the pre poser 6 files in them again? None, but you forgot to leave that out when you yet again copy and pasted your rant.

dumorian ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:04 PM

To correct the misinformation. Nvidia's Iray does do SSS and it is available from within DAZ Studio. And the 'misinformation' is why so many DAZzies show up in these areas.

ghonma ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:04 PM

iRay itself does seem to support moblur in MAX at least. Perhaps it's just not implemented inside DS as yet (or they disabled it for some reason ?) Here's the MAX manual on it:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-25648CF2-A60F-450F-8880-8ADCD2EB13FF

RawArt ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:04 PM

It does not take long to look through forums if you skim past the nonsense and look for industry specific threads...thats why I came into this one, the title caught my eye, and there were good questions posted by the OP....it is sad that some people are trying to throw in personal attacks just to get the thread locked because they dont like anything daz related.....well wether you like it or not, daz is a part of this industry and has a significant place in poser world.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:04 PM

Glitterati how much would you like to bet that it does not do SSS? Want to put your money where your mouth is? Though really, it isn't fair since I am sitting right here looking at the settings.. The third thing was it doesn't use shaders from a different render engine as standard. That is a surprise right? Because ever other render engine can use the shaders from each other..Oh wait none of them can. You got me on the motion blur though.. I've never used it so I'm not crushed and I doubt many other people will be. I don't care about the big program vs program battle your so into but I really dislike to read an out and out fib in print.

I don't really care what it does.  If I wanted to find out I would use DS. I can't help it if a simple question, to a friendly user upsets you all so much.

Since it does all you want it to do, you should be thrilled.  Good for you.

Like I said, though, this is a POSER forum.  Not a forum for the DAZ Gang to disrupt and stalk POSER users.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:10 PM

Back on topic, if DAZ keep this thing free then maybe this could become a nice option for rendering Poser scenes as well ? lux is slow and octane is expensive and high end renderers don't have much support for poser... Could scripts be written to allow scene setup in Poser and rendering in DS/iRay ?

I don't believe DS will read a pz3 scene file, so you're probably left with doing an obj export and applying materials to that. That's not to rule out someone being able to read the DS sdk to work around getting the scene into DS. But then you still have to learn all the material settings which are different from the dials used for the regular gloss/spec model.

Khory_D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:11 PM

I can't help it if a simple question, to a friendly user upsets you all so much."

Actually it is your ongoing war between apps and the need to be negative toward individuals that is bothersome. I know you don't see your behavior as bulling but it really comes across like that to the reader. I don't often post here because all to often the bullies push through as if they were the injured parties and that goes on till the thread is locked. If you have such an issue with a DAZ related thread in the poser forum you should have contacted the admins rather than go on the attack or simply don't read the thread and let it go and avoid an antagonizing situation. 

www.Calida3d.com

Khory_D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:14 PM

"I don't believe DS will read a pz3 scene file,"

I think they use too. But then the issue would be all the surface conversions. Adding just the iray shaders that a presets wouldn't be to awful but the conversions over textures etc would be a bit of a hash since the surface settings would be off compared to studio settings. It is possible that alternate base shaders could be set up that take into account the levels for things like bump and spec when they import into studio and that could be used instead then it might not be as big a pain to make adjustments.

www.Calida3d.com

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:15 PM

iRay itself does seem to support moblur in MAX at least. Perhaps it's just not implemented inside DS as yet (or they disabled it for some reason ?) Here's the MAX manual on it:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-25648CF2-A60F-450F-8880-8ADCD2EB13FF

Motion blur is not a physical based render feature, this is a render trick in the renderers we are used to. The physical based render model is a shift in how things are set up, lit and rendered, so some things will no longer apply. In the case of PBR, this is done in post.

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:16 PM

Well this thread will probably head down the tubes pretty shortly but I wonder if SM have ever though of looking at Corona as a plug-in (I don't know if the latest versions of Poser support plugin render engines but you never know)  It's a very quick engine (at least in MAX) and gives great renders - expensive though now it's out of beta

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

ghonma ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:16 PM

But then you still have to learn all the material settings which are different from the dials used for the regular gloss/spec model

I was thinking more along the lines of something like reality that translates materials/settings in an intelligent way.

structure ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:16 PM
Forum Coordinator

I for one, agree with Glitter on this point, this is something to discuss on the DAZ forum since it is purely DAZ related.

Locked Out

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:24 PM

"I don't believe DS will read a pz3 scene file,"

I think they use too. But then the issue would be all the surface conversions. Adding just the iray shaders that a presets wouldn't be to awful but the conversions over textures etc would be a bit of a hash since the surface settings would be off compared to studio settings. It is possible that alternate base shaders could be set up that take into account the levels for things like bump and spec when they import into studio and that could be used instead then it might not be as big a pain to make adjustments.

Applying the iray shader, adds settings using a DS material as the base so it would be way off from a Poser setting. The material settings and values would be different too, as spec would become roughness maps, and height maps, etc. But knowing the offsets on things like spec, bump, etc would be helpful in that conversion from Poser to DS to Iray.

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:27 PM

"Could scripts be written to allow scene setup in Poser and rendering in DS/iRay ?"

That is a good question, and really should be looked into by someone good with writing scripts for poser (way out of my league).

Rawn"

Possibly someone like Paulo who did Reality perhaps?

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Khory_D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:29 PM

"I was thinking more along the lines of something like reality that translates materials/settings in an intelligent way."

I understand what your saying. That is done via the plug in as I understand it. In theory there could be a poser plug in for studio for Iray but gads.. I believe that studio does that translation for surfaces set up in studio via the base shader (which adds all the new properties etc). And to some extent it would convert some of the settings that poser files arrive with. It would very much depend on the original set up in the material room. More complex material set ups (deep node trees and so forth) have never ported over very well. And specularity and bump/displacement have always been off as far as a base import goes. I do think though that someone who really understood what was going on with the code for the iray shaders could do a "poser for studio" shader base set up since that is sort of did for studio. It would simply need to take into account the variations that are there between poser and studio as far bump and spec go maybe. I guess since the render engine is free that even if someone had to pay 20 bucks for a product that added some extra shader bases that wouldn't be a bad price to be able to use the engine with less work.

www.Calida3d.com

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:38 PM

There was a utility at yurdigital that did adjust the spec/bump values between poser and daz studio so you had a base to further tweak the values.

ghonma ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:38 PM

It seems to me that complex node setups are almost always a result of trying to hack around some limitation of firefly. The ideal material setup for the majority of stuff people render with poser (skin, cloth, hair, metal etc with textures and alpha) are probably not very complex. If you created a convertor that basically limited itself to those common materials but did them really well, would that be possible/worthwhile ?

fictionalbookshelf ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:56 PM · edited Wed, 11 March 2015 at 3:57 PM

I for one, agree with Glitter on this point, this is something to discuss on the DAZ forum since it is purely DAZ related.

No it's not pure Daz related. It's Poser related. The OP was wanting to know if it's possible to get something similar or comparable for Poser. Glitter made it Daz related. On that note, please keep this thread civil. This started out as a good question for Poser users interested in achieving photo realism and finding out what to expect in new releases. I do hope the OP does find answers or solution to her question.

My Store & My Freebies

fictionalbookshelf ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 4:13 PM

Ugg aparently the quote is messed up

My Store & My Freebies

Zev0 ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 4:14 PM

Made sense to me lol.

My Renderosity Store

bhoins ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 4:18 PM

I don't believe DS will read a pz3 scene file, so you're probably left with doing an obj export and applying materials to that. That's not to rule out someone being able to read the DS sdk to work around getting the scene into DS. But then you still have to learn all the material settings which are different from the dials used for the regular gloss/spec model.

DS reads PZ3 files, and has for as long as I have used it. However it will probably choke on things that DAZ Studio does not support, like the Poser 8 or later rigging, Firefly specific shaders some of the Cameras, and lights come in wrong, depending on which version of Poser, the lights are more or less correct and either too dark or too bright.  

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 4:38 PM

DS reads PZ3 files, and has for as long as I have used it. However it will probably choke on things that DAZ Studio does not support, like the Poser 8 or later rigging, Firefly specific shaders some of the Cameras, and lights come in wrong, depending on which version of Poser, the lights are more or less correct and either too dark or too bright.  

Yeah that's what I meant, if it doesn't read it correctly or has errors, then it didn't read the pz3 file. ;)  But the less items that depend on shaders and the material room and more on actual maps and textures, the better.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 5:25 PM

I'm interested in this, but maybe they could move it to DS forum so experts there could discuss, then non-Daz-users could check in, if interested.  one mod had plan to delete OT threads as they become contentious, but I dunno what happened.

complaint used here since Willow was in charge (1998): it ain't community unless users can argue about OT stuff.  they've even tried OT Forum and tavern (or similar), but they hadda delete those as well.  chat room now good place for this.  it's peaceful (most users are asleep) and they are friendly, not angry nor defensive IMVHO.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 6:09 PM · edited Wed, 11 March 2015 at 6:13 PM

I'm interested in this, but maybe they could move it to DS forum so experts there could discuss, then non-Daz-users could check in, if interested.  one mod had plan to delete OT threads as they become contentious, but I dunno what happened.

Because a poser user asked, that really the bottom line not the other way around. You are free not to view the thread, but let's not bully other poser users to go elsewhere, because this is what it really is. If you have any questions you can look up several replies to the one fictionalbookshelf added.

Khory_D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 6:44 PM

"But the less items that depend on shaders and the material room and more on actual maps and textures, the better."

I would think that would be key. Perhaps the simplest solution would be a material file in poser that stripped out nodes on figures and so forth with a user check to make sure that all the correct maps were in place. And another that made the specularity and bump adjustments. That way the user would be working where they were most comfortable to get those initial files sorted and so there would be less chance of errors that would nuke the pz3

www.Calida3d.com

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 8:39 PM

Ding-Dong?

Knock-Knock? 

Would all intrudes please move over to their own sides? 

We do not CARE about the Diezel System

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

FightingWolf ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 9:03 PM

I saw the renders from the new Daz beta but it didn't live up to the hype that I thought I would see.  What I read in my email made me think that I was going to see something that rivals Reality or Vue.  Usually when Daz gets something I begin to wonder if Poser would follow suit.  The only thing that I learned today was that Poser's flexibility with lighting is still a good choice and if you need something more than that then there's Reality

The only thing that I really got from reading the little that there is on it, It just seems that they've automated the settings, where as with Poser you just have a huge range of customizations that are available in terms of lighting and materials, and environment spheres.  It would be nice to have an Easy button on Poser but not if it means getting rid of the flexibility and customizations with configs.

With Poser I know for a fact that I can create realistic renders or renders that look like paintings and I wouldn't want to get rid of the things that allow that range of creativity with my renders.

Khory_D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 9:11 PM

"Ding-Dong?

Knock-Knock? 

Would all intrudes please move over to their own sides? 

We do not CARE about the Diezel System"

This sounds so childish to me. What would make me not an intruder? Owning poser? Check. Products for poser? Check again. Content provider at this store? Check again. If you were the owner of these boards and want to run away customers and content creators it would be one thing but I'm not aware of a proprietary relationship that you have with Renderosity. If you are in fact someone who has the right to run off other users that is different.

www.Calida3d.com

Khory_D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 9:21 PM · edited Wed, 11 March 2015 at 9:25 PM

"With Poser I know for a fact that I can create realistic renders or renders that look like paintings and I wouldn't want to get rid of the things that allow that range of creativity with my renders."

The program continues to have 3delight and I doubt they will be removing it any time soon. People who are more comfortable with a biased render engine for realism and non realism have not lost any options because the new engine was added.

www.Calida3d.com

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 9:22 PM

One could always export as an .obj and bring it into Studio; the shaders would need to be redone anyway. Sadly, it's nVidia only.

SM does need to do something to deal with the limitations of Firefly, particularly IDL artifacts, and hopefully sooner than later....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Khory_D ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2015 at 9:27 PM

"Sadly, it's nVidia only."

Only if you want to use GPU rendering. It is faster with a nVidia card yes but it is not required. CPU can be done with any card.

www.Calida3d.com

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2015 at 5:07 AM

I don't want to get involved in the usual Daz / Poser debate but I do have a question.  The OP was wondering if SM would do anything to compete, good question well presented????????.  Then there appears to be some discussion on Poser users using iRay.  My question is, what does iRAY give you that other renders open to Poser users do not? 

I can understand someone who already uses both Poser and DS might want to try it but what are the other options open to Poser users that only use Poser and don't want to go down the Daz route?

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2015 at 5:44 AM · edited Thu, 12 March 2015 at 5:48 AM

There are plenty of other options. The main difference here is that Iray is free, so those who do not have money to buy an alternative render engine can have access to Iray and try it out. Also out of the box it gives nice results, and you don't have to spend hours editing the shaders, or leave the app via a plugin.

My Renderosity Store

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.