Sat, Aug 3, 3:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 20 8:02 am)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Poser 12 development roadmap?

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2022 at 3:27 AM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 11:02 PM

Is there a development roadmap of any kind?

I heard that Superfly will be interactive at some point, and that Poser will natively support unimesh characters, but those are from third-party comments (not that I don't believe them, because I do).

What would bring some peace of mind to some of us would be a roadmap with planned features, with indications of how likely each planned feature is to get finished. It wouldn't even need to have any dates attached to the milestones, just an indication of what is to come for Poser 12 to be considered complete.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2022 at 6:45 AM
Site Admin

I don't believe they will tell us anything like that. For one thing, if they say they are working on (fill in whatever cool thing you want) and then realize they can't deliver, people are going to have fits. You might not and I might not, but there are people here who will.

Also, most companies don't like to tell their competition what they're working on and risk giving said competition ideas and them getting it done first. That's a big reason for non-disclosure agreements.

And speaking of NDAs, that could be another reason. They aren't allowed to talk about it.

Now, I could be wrong and maybe someone in the know will tell us something, but don't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2022 at 1:29 PM
RedPhantom posted at 6:45 AM Sun, 6 February 2022 - #4434466

Starting from when????

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2022 at 2:25 PM
Site Admin
EClark1894 posted at 1:29 PM Sun, 6 February 2022 - #4434485

Starting from when????

From the first day that I was alive until today is my personal best. Tomorrow I will break it yet again. As someone who hasn't always wanted to live, still being around is an accomplishment.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2022 at 3:05 PM
RedPhantom posted at 2:25 PM Sun, 6 February 2022 - #4434486
EClark1894 posted at 1:29 PM Sun, 6 February 2022 - #4434485

Starting from when????

From the first day that I was alive until today is my personal best. Tomorrow I will break it yet again. As someone who hasn't always wanted to live, still being around is an accomplishment.

Wow... 😊

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

NikKelly ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2022 at 8:45 PM

I'm still on PP_11, as 12 does not yet seem to offer any I/O benefits. Worse, I consider the acclaimed Material room 'improvements' to be a serious 'down-grade', by making the easy stuff much, much harder. Cycles may be very powerful, but it is absurdly complex for the unwary. May we have a wall-chart ??

FBX ? Sadly, I've come to conclusion that the only way for Poser to get full compatibility is by licensing Autodesk's SDK. Like 'plug & play' for eg Daz' Gen_8 figures, that is unlikely to happen due prohibitive expense...

But, I've had some success importing figures auto-rigged by 'Make Human', if generated in their oldest FBX format. I still haven't figured why 'Guards ! Guards!' did not network-render correctly, probably something I'd mis-keyed...

Nailing down which rig, plug-ins, parameters & options should be used for reliable ports from Blender and/or Make Human would be good...

Now that Poser has acquired a mild taste for Toons and Anime, perhaps Team Poser could look at XPS and PMX formats ? Given DA's MarioKart64 can craft a free conversion utility which ports XPS models and figures into PMX, both formats must be 'biddable'. IIRC, they are non-proprietary. And, PMX would position Poser as 'Next Generation' for the popular MMD scene-builder...

- -

Bravo on the day-count: Not been there myself, but I've helped close kin surpass 'endure', learn to live 'between the tides'...

JAFO ( ) posted Sat, 12 February 2022 at 1:46 PM · edited Sat, 12 February 2022 at 1:49 PM

Poser needs .USD import/export... Everyone else is heading in that direction, without it Poser is stuck in the mud IMHO.

Hang in there Red, NO permanent solutions to temporary problems, PLEASE!!!

Y'all have a great day.

Y'all have a great day.

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 12 February 2022 at 5:15 PM

In this context, USD, for such as me who thought, "Huh ? $$$ ??", is Pixar's 'Universal Scene Description' file-format...

Open source !!

As I understand it, does not provide a 'portable' rigging system, but allows multiple different types of graphics to be combined. Sorta 3D equivalent of toons' 'Cels'...

JAFO ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2022 at 12:03 PM

NikKelly posted at 5:15 PM Sat, 12 February 2022 - #4434707

In this context, USD, for such as me who thought, "Huh ? $$$ ??", is Pixar's 'Universal Scene Description' file-format...

Open source !!

As I understand it, does not provide a 'portable' rigging system, but allows multiple different types of graphics to be combined. Sorta 3D equivalent of toons' 'Cels'...

Yes USD is open source, and while its true not all animation software can or will recognize the rigging system of others, the rigging is preserved as exported meaning...If you export a USD file alter in another program(eg: Omniverse/ Unreal, or other) and need to return to the original program, riging remains intact for further refinement... Round trip if you will.

USD's strongest suit(for me and some others)  is in movie making, the ability to move scenes around , picking up elements that are best implemented in various software and combining them in powerful render engines(so called realtime which isn't really realtime, but that's a rant for another venue).

Y'all have a great day.

Y'all have a great day.

NikKelly ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2022 at 10:10 AM

A 'Gas Gauge' ??

I built this x64 CAD-Tower with twin graphics cards, which I knew would be obsolete before long, and 32 GB to give head-room.

'Real world' events made significantly up-grading even one GPU card un-affordable. Proved cheaper to built a dedicated 'network' render 'Box'. That has its quirks. It may take five minutes doing 'admin' before a render starts. I still haven't figured why it won't transfer textures for the fun FBX 'Guards ! Guards !' freebies from Make_Human. But, it is not likely to crash if scene is complex...

Back when prolific Richard Mandel / Digital Explorations was posting freebie RE scene recreations as OBJ+MTL, I discovered Poser did not like many of the models. The 10~~25 MB RE-2 OBJs were mostly okay, bigger being slower. Too many of the RE-3 OBJs were 25~~50 MB models, just choked Poser. Sure, they did load, texture and CPU-render, albeit very, very, very slowly. The larger were almost impossible to pose due latency & refresh times...

Please may we have a 'gas gauge' / dash-board  console to give some idea of internal resource usage in various categories ? With green-amber-red for each ?? Don't laugh: I've seen such on a budget 'Home Design' program, essential because its core engine was only x32, would max-out if over-loaded with 'detail'...

For example, I cannot find any reference to how Poser holds its textures internally, or if uses them 'as is'. I'd happily batch-port bulkier PNG, TGA & DDS to JPG with free Irfan view, quickly search/replace the MTL calls using 'Notepad', reclaim many, many MB...

JAFO ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2022 at 5:35 PM · edited Tue, 15 February 2022 at 5:37 PM

Ive had "OUT OF MEMORY" issues going back to at least to Poser 4.  I've always prioritized having Boo-Koo ram in my machines so that's never been the issue. It happens when I'm smoothing out animations, like when I wish to make changes to a specific key on one or more figures (I key every 5 frames) its necessary to blend it in by deleting and re-keying  several keys in both directions, forward and backward till I get the desired results. Sometimes it takes awhile, many iterations back and forth.... then BAM out of memory, crash to desktop... In preferences I have undo set to 5, seems like that would alleviate the problem but it doesn't. It seems there's a memory limit encoded in the software somewhere.

I've done extensive testing and monitoring (keeping task manager running on another monitor).  I made a test scene with one figure  set scene frames to 1000, then re-keying figure to interval of 5.

I then proceed to step through the keys(Tab)  hitting keyframe minus then keyframe plus, all the while  watching memory usage. I nearly always get to frame 500 (100 itrations) before the out of memory issue occurs. Task manager says I'm using 16gb of 64gb  consistently.

It would be great if (like Adobe) Poser had a tab in preferences that allowed you to set limits for memory usage.

As mentioned this is a long-term problem and is not caused by the Bondware Poser team.

If you're an animator, I don't recommend the above method for smoothing animation unless its short segments. For longer animations (I Routinely have animations of 5000-10,000 frames)  I have another method I can outline if anyone's interested...

Y'all have a great day.

Y'all have a great day.

NikKelly ( ) posted Thu, 17 February 2022 at 11:07 PM

Does #12 still have the problem as #11 with deleted renders re-appearing ? If so, the trash-collector needs another kick.

Also, FBX imports (*) whose rigs come apart into many sub-rigs seem to choke both the hierarchy and material / texture handlers.

Um, a bit retro, but equivalent would be how 'bubble sorts' clog beyond a certain size of data-set...

*)  HiGuys920 over at DA seems to have knack of rigging FBX figures to 'play nice' with Poser. Single rig, 100% original scale. As it should. 

So far, he's 'Three from Three', with a dozen more to try. I've asked him to do a tutorial on work-flow...

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2022 at 1:04 PM

Again: Does #12 still have the problem as #11 with deleted renders re-appearing ?

Drives me to distraction when I'm doing multiple quickie test-renders, 20~30~40 per session, knowing that even if I delete them from list, they'll probably pop up next time I start Poser...

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2022 at 1:12 PM
Site Admin
NikKelly posted at 1:04 PM Sun, 27 February 2022 - #4435245

Again: Does #12 still have the problem as #11 with deleted renders re-appearing ?

Drives me to distraction when I'm doing multiple quickie test-renders, 20~30~40 per session, knowing that even if I delete them from list, they'll probably pop up next time I start Poser...

I've been having the opposite problem. Recent renders disappearing that I had wanted to look back at.

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2022 at 3:19 PM

I've a 'render cache' of ~15. I've tried raising and lowering it, but that does not flush those 'deleted'.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.