Mon, Oct 21, 11:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:28 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Internet Hacking Notice!

kamilche ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 3:52 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:24 PM

I opened my Visa bank statements today, and found out that someone has put $1200 of unauthorized charges on one of my cards. What makes this very disturbing, is I'm a computer programmer, and am aware of the risk. I am behind a firewall, and only post credit card info to properly secure sites. I have been purchasing a lot of online models and software lately for the game, from Curious Labs, Daz3D, BBay, and Renderosity. One of those sites might not be secure. Also - there was a bug fix recently for Windows Media Player, where if you were viewing AVI files on someone's web site, that web site owner could do anything to your machine - cause programs to run, delete files, transmit data across the Internet, whatever. I've come to the conclusion that the Windows operating system is one large virus. What in the hell is the Windows media player doing launching other programs in the first place? In all my years of buying stuff on the Internet, this has never happened before - but it's only gonna get worse, folks. I suggest to all my game players that they never purchase things online or over the phone with a credit card, ever again. If it happened to a computer programmer who is aware of the risk, behind firewalls, who is paranoid of viruses, and never launches executables or attachments in email - it can happen to you.

adh3d ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 3:57 PM

Well, thanks for the news. But the thing you tell us is like i say to everybody drive a car: Don't go anywhere in a car because you can crash. The live is full of risk, you can try do everything to avoid them, but you cannot stay at home forever.

adh3d website

LadyLight ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 3:58 PM

OMG!!! I have been warned many times about just such a thing Kam... but ignored the risk and bought online MANY times with no problems YET! Still..if such a thing happened to YOU..it's a safe bet that eventually it would catch a lot of the rest of us!!! Thank you for sharing this disturbing information... I am very sorry that it happened to you :(

rcook ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 3:58 PM

Just to let you know, we never store your credit card number here at Renderosity. We immediately pass it along to our credit card processor, CyberCash, via a secure connection and only store a blinded version of the card number, such as 12*3456, for later reference purposes.

kamilche ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 4:06 PM

The first clue, was when I opened my statement and it said 'Minimum payment due: $1,241.81' That'll wake ya up in the morning. >:-D Somehow, this thief managed to jam over a thousand dollars through on a credit card that was MAXED OUT, thus increasing the minimum payment due. I hold the Visa company partially responsible for this as well, for allowing so large an overlimit amount to go through. There were multiple charges on the account - not just one, but one of them was the whopping $1,000 charge. Guys, I even wrote my own email program, because of all the security loops holes in Outlook and Outlook Express, THAT'S how into security I am! But I got hit anyway.

nerd ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 4:18 PM
Forum Moderator Online Now!

Relax, I process credit cards on my site. I know what thievs can and can't get away with. I assume you have contacted you card company. In most cases the most you can be held responsible for is $50. Because this really is fraud, the mercahnts will probably get paid too. If they took all the normal precautions they will get paid. The CC company, Authorization house and/or insurance company will foot the bill. For those of us who still want to purchase over the net here is the perfect solution. The check card. A check card will not authorize for more than the amount in the associated account. I found a bank with free checking and a free check card. When I'm going online shopping I transfer the ammount I plan to spend into the account. wait an hour or two then go spend the money. They cant rip ya if there aint no money in the account.

kamilche ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 4:24 PM

Well, I think I'm gonna stick with personal checks only, even though that takes a long time to process. I've never heard of a 'check card', but if it's something that you have to set up every time you want to make a purchase, it'd be more trouble than it's worth. I'd rather wait for my check to clear. Who takes these 'check cards' anyway?

dwilmes ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 4:31 PM

Also, there is no way to determine that the number was stolen from a web site. Far more likely, it was the shifty-eyed waiter in the greasy spoon diner who vanished into the back room with your card to run it thru the machine... Dan http://www.neca.com/~dwilmes/cr2edit.html Sorry Win only for software http://www.zenwareonline.com for ZenPaint, ZenTile, ZenGrid and VueMaster

JKeller ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 4:40 PM

Keep in mind, and you may already be well aware of this, but it's easier for someone to get your credit card number from a retail store than it is for them to get it over the internet. It's easy for an un-trustworthy retail employee, or another customer in the store to walk out with a handfull of stolen credit card numbers... so easy I'd rather not say how.

Bia ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 4:53 PM

the way of the world. I can't worry about it. My card was taken from the cleaning company who came to clean my house when I moved into it, right out of my purse. I had the purse upstairs behind a closed door, hidden in a room that i told them they didn't need to clean. I went outside to talk to a neighbor...the next day I couldn't find my card so I cancelled it. The next bill was a wopper. I bitched and moaned so much I didn't even have to pay the 50 bucks. I refused to pay it and really drove them nuts about it. Anyway...it happens. You get ripped off in many ways in this world in one way or another...it's just part of life now...it stinks but it's a fact. It's not going to stop me from buying models or doing things I like to do. It may stop me from doing things I never liked to begin with. I am more afraid to walk around with cash in my pocket, or drive on the highway with road enraged psychos (I take back roads now), or eat in those greasy spoons, or go to bars where smoking is allowed, than I am afraid to use my cc. just my 2 cents here...

nerd ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 5:04 PM
Forum Moderator Online Now!

A check card looks and works just like a visa or master card. The vendor who processes it won't even know it was a check card. I go online with my bank, xfer the money from the safe account into the one with the check card on it. wait a few, then make my purchase. There's a bonus to these things too. Because you are spending your money there is no fee and no interest.

kamilche ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 5:24 PM

Well, how do I know it was across the Internet? Because I physically destroyed these cards as soon as I got them, and only used them for Internet purchases. So it wasn't the greasy spoon diner scenario - but that was an interesting thought! :-D Ooh man, yeah, I might cave one day and get a check card, they sound interesting... but for now, at least until the heebie jeebies wear off, I'll just be writing checks to all of you content creators. You DO still accept personal checks, do you not? :-O

kamilche ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 5:46 PM

Hm, looking at the history in detail, I now suspect a company I had never purchased from before. I have bought from Renderosity, BBay, etc., before with no problems... but less than a month after buying something from the Morro Candy Company (the only non-Poser related purchase in months! >:-D), bogus charges started appearing. Yeah. That greasy spoon diner theory looks more probable now... but for a candy company instead! :-D I can laugh it off because thank goodness the Visa company wil probably settle it for me, they have before. But still. :-P It's no fun traipsing through all the paperwork, writing all those letters, bleah. Hope they get it resolved soon.

ScottA ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 6:07 PM

I've never had any problems with credit cards either.....Until I bought MediaStudioPro from Ulead a few years back. Some guy in California used my number to buy a new MAC and all the trimmings. I called my CC company and they took care of it without costing me a cent. Ya never know who's gonna nail ya these days ScottA

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 6:44 PM

Security on the net - at least to be as secure as you are in your own house - is fairly easy. Get a good virus program, keep up with the updates on it AND keep up with the updates on your operating system. You won't be 100% safe but nothing in life is. Windows is really no more of less secure than any other common OS and it is a damn site more secure than some :) Hell, there are some exploits for Linux that will scare you half to death :) Take reaosnable precautions, deal with a CC company with good fraud policies and get on with your life ... CC stealing existed before the net - so why would we think it would go away now? BTW - sorry to hear it happened to you, glad it will work out OK.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 7:07 PM

You know the very same thing happened to us, but let me tell you briefly, there was an investigation first, then they told me most often times, MOST OFTEN TIMES, it is from someone with a copy of your number, that is all they reall need now. According to our theif, he went to France and back, my credit card company called us, knowing our history and asked us if this was our charge, we of course went nuts and said NO, they took care of it, that is why they have insurance. Try not to let this bother you, I know it bothered us only for a while, if someone is going to steal from you they will find a way. Sharen SAM'S3D

mocap ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 7:33 PM

I have a visa check card. it looks just like a visa except that its drawn directly from my checking account balance ( no interest!!!) last weekend I purchased my new web space from OLM.Net using my visa check card and later that day went out and purchased nearly $1000 in various consumer Goods including a new Big screen TV. Monday A.M. Bank security called me to verify that all of the recent activity on my card was authorized by me. they read back name and location of every purchase i had made over the weekend and were fully prepared to reverse payment on any purchase that i didnt recognize. They were all mine but it was comforting to see that My Bank was keeping a watchful EYE!! Mocap

Poppi ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 8:00 PM

A check card is good. IF IT IS SET UP TO A SMALL, CONTROLLED ACCOUNT. I wouldn't want one for everything. They do call, when it is over $500.00. But, they don't reimburse you if you are ripped off. I have a seperate account, for everything...this place, online, everything. It is just a small $500 dollar limit cc. That is the only thing I ever use for online purchases. They scare me. I commented, just the other day, in C&D about music files playing when I hit a couple links, here, this past week. No, I don't think it was embedded html files in the thread I was reading. My zone alarm goes off though, when something like Windows Media Player wants to surf the internet. It also goes off when I am being "pingged". It did not go off, either time. I got out of here, as fast as I could, hitting the switch on the surge protector, if truth be known. Pop...pop...pop!

Poppi ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 8:04 PM

It might also be a good idea not to "hang out" while you are downloading your purchases. Just do it from a different account, and, just download, don't chat, or surf, or do anything and then leave. I don't know. I do that. I have always thought it would be easy for hackers to get numbers and stuff. Also, the guy at the sleazy restaurant, as well. I'm not biased. Equal opportunity paranois, here. :)

kamilche ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 8:51 PM

Hee hee, thanks for all the anecdotes guys! I enjoyed reading them. A friend of mine, had a Visa card hooked up to her checking account. She had her web site hosting drawn off that account. The site became very popular, and exceeded the bandwidth limitations on this 'unlimited bandwidth' hosting site. So, the web host yanked her site, changed the passwords, refused to communicate with her, yet KEPT CHARGING HER MONTHLY for it. She finally had to close her checking account to get them to stop. No protection whatsoever from her Visa/checking account combo, because it wasn't really a Visa card! I learned then, that Visa cards sucking directly off your checking account, are bad bad things.

Poppi ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 9:20 PM

When they are visa "check" cards, they offer no reimbursement, if you have troubles. Sometimes, I do, have troubles.

melanie ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 9:39 PM

A check card is most often called a debit card. I use mine at the grocery store. It's actually my ATM card that is also a check card. There have been horror stories of restaurant workers taking your credit card to the cashier and while they have it, they'll take down the number and use it later. This has happened in gas stations, too, and many other places. I heard of a person having their card number stolen in a store by another customer who standing too closely, who had a photographic memory and simply memorized it. Your number can be stolen anywhere it's been used. Also, be sure to shred any old bill stubs that have your card numbers on them, or any correspondence from credit card companies that includes your card numbers. People have been known to go through the garbage to find old bills and use the numbers. There are so many ways for people to get your credit card information. Melanie

kdmccoy ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 10:56 PM

Boy, I hate to hear stories like this, hope it gets resolved for you O.K. I have to say one thing, though, it's not necessarily going to get worse (I'm a programmer too, and soulhuntre is right about Linux, and it's true of a lot of others. Microsoft's .NET (it'll be a while before we get apps written in it, but not too long) addresses security problems in a preventative way (where the old ones only gave you an idea of who to sue). I don't work for Big Bill, but just attended an independent 1 week conference about .NET, and it made me feel warm and fuzzy. Microsoft's sorely aware of the problems they've had (others have too, but it's better press to attack MS), and have thrown billions into the new technologies - the runtime library already exists (4 years now), and will probably come out after Windows 2002 (it'll support Win98, NT4, 2000, 2002). Unfortunately, there will be other dangers. I found someone's receipt from a local comic book store on my lawn just this morning. It had the full Visa number (no **** stuff) and the expiration date. Whenever I buy something on the net, that's all I'm ever asked for (for the record, I threw it out). I also read recently that when you use a card in a restaurant, keep your eyes on it at all times (if you can) - this is a common scam. You may also switch companies - I once had to get on the phone with my bank when I charged (mega) car repairs - some of them are good about trying to verify large amounts.

willf ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 11:01 PM

I use a separate card with a very low minimun line of credit and only call it in. Also, don't use your Social Secuity card number for you drivers license or for renting movies (it is illegal to require this info anyway). Don't let credit card companies extort payment from you either..."if you don't pay we'll give you a bad credit report", bull, contest it. I use CityBank & they seem to be pretty good, was on vacation in Europe & after the 2nd charge (around $350.00 US) they called the store back & wanted to speak with me to verify that it was indeed a valid charge. Also, write Bill Gates & tell him you are skeptical of his raw open sockets on WinXP, especially if you use cable modems.

Mason ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 11:32 PM

My credit card company not only confirms my charges but actually questions whether I should purchase things at all. I wanted to buy a nice gold clock for my dad but the CCard company called me up telling me I had not talked to my dad for over 5 years and the gift was guilt gift. They recommended me buying something smaller or they would destroy my credit rating forever. Then then questioned my eating out expenditures and now I have to visit a health club once a week or they will crush my financial future. All kidding aside I use a ccard with a real low limit like $500 and it locked meaning you can;t over draw on it. I simply talked to my bank and they were glad to set it up that way. Also, ccard numbers get stolen more at bars and resteraunts than the internet. NEVER leave you slip out and just leave. You can cross off the ccard number on the slip (I usually leave the last 4 numbers exposed) then make sure the host takes it. Also, I know someone who got burned bad. She went to a party and tossed her coat and pursev in the "coat room" (host's bedroom) along with everyone else's coats. Well this woman went in, took out all the purses, noted down ccard numbers and ss numbers, put the stuff back then had cards made out in her name using the ccard number and the SS number as ID. My friend is still contesting charges and this happened over 10 years ago. Never leave your wallet and NEVER let your wife/girlfriend leave her purse. Also, I shred everything I throw away. Garbage is another place people can get info. Its real simple. All they need is a few pieces of info and they can mess with your life.

markdc ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2001 at 2:18 AM

I had this happen to me offline. It sucks, but remember, as long as you dispute the charges (tell the credit card company that fraud has occurred) you won't be responsible for it. Also, be sure to double check your credit report with all agencies after the credit card company says it's cleared up to be sure. The credit agencies will supply you with a free copy of your credit report if you are a victim of fraud.

markdc ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2001 at 2:18 AM

I also shred everything now...

Mesh_Magick ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2001 at 2:45 AM

I THINK THESE SITES THAT HAVE CREDIT CARD PURCAHSE NEED TO STAY AHEAD OF HACKERS BY UPGRADING THIER SOFTWARE AND LETTING US KNOW THEY DID THAT.

neurocyber ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2001 at 3:30 AM

Windows operating system is one large virus? I'd agree to that! Perhaps you can bill Microsoft for the loss and cost of fixing the situation.(I wish!) Gotta get Linux gotta get Linux gotta get Linux ..... Oh crud! Poser works on Windows. Ahhhhhhh......

melanie ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2001 at 10:45 AM

Another thing: Those letters you get from credit card companies inviting you to apply for their card because "you've already been approved," DO NOT throw these away--shred them. Anyone can find this in the garbage, fill out the form with your name on it, receive the new card at their address, and spend up a storm on your credit record. Anything dealing with credit cards is vulnerable. Please be careful. Melanie

3-DArena ( ) posted Sun, 24 June 2001 at 5:40 PM

I too use a debit card for my online purchases. I have had my number used only once. I was never refunded because debit cards don't work that way. But I simply canceled the card and had a new one issued. Luckily it was only for $6.00 for some adult site. I found out later that several others I knew were billed by the same company for a membership charge. Canceling that card prevented me form being billed constantly and while the processing company told me they'd refund it they never did. I too shred all credit card applications.

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2001 at 2:54 PM

someone once bought tickets to a giants game with my debit card. the bank reversed the charge but I had a bit of trouble with bass ticketmaster until I flat out told them that I was POSITIVE I hadn't bought giants tickets because I HATE THE GIANTS. :) the last time, however, I didn't know anything had happened until the credit card company called to verify a couple of attempted purchases (they would have put me over my maximum limit). I hadn't made any purchases on the dates in question, so they disallowed them and cancelled the card and issued me a new card (but not a new limit, darn it). In both cases, the cards used had not only never left my posession, but the second card had never left my desk drawer. It was ONLY used for online purchases. I learned later that one of the places I had bought from had been broken into and the information stolen (and not just my info). Be careful and make sure that when dealing with a company, any information they keep that can be used to perpetrate this sort of fraud is kept in a manner where it is totally unavailable to anyone online. (This is why BBay requests a hard copy or a phone call when verifying your credit - they don't keep anything on the computer, just as Renderosity doesn't keep any info on the computer). Kate

melanie ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2001 at 8:53 PM

One of my credit cards shut down after I had made a lot of purchases close together. I guess they thought someone had been using it without my authorization and they just cut it off. Actually, I have way too many credit cards anyway, so I'm just going to pay it off as I can and not bother to reinstate it. Maybe I did myself a favor. I've got to stop buying things on these on-line 3D stores! Melanie

Slynky ( ) posted Thu, 28 June 2001 at 6:12 PM

Even if credit cards are used by someone else to buy stuff, wasnt some law or ammendment passed in the USA in 95 or smomething, gauranteeing that any victim of credit card theft, whther or not they report the card stolen in time, NOT be liable for any damages inflicted (aside from a 50$ charge or something)? Don't quoteme cause I'm in canada, but maybe someone else can shed some more light. ry

Goldfire ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2001 at 5:45 PM

Kamiliche, are you sure it was stolen online? As others have pointed out, there are many ways to steal a credit card... To everyone's 2cents worth on this subject, I add another; IF you are going to shop online with a credit card, use one who is security paranoid. CitiBank watches like a hawk for certain 'behaviors' and warns you if they think fraud has occured, both on and offline. Last month I had bought several items, small ones, from R'osity and Barnes&Noble, on several consecutive days, and some the the Barnes&Noble transactions were broken into seperate charges because I bought out of print books from two dealers and books from the main b&n. Add in three small charges to r'osity when I spotted new items in the store and it must have set the security software off. You know, small, multiple transactions to the same source. Citi notified me and suggested I cancel the account, which I did. Now what makes me nervous as hell is sites like B&N and amazon that store your credit card data and can bring it up for future orders so you don't have to go to the 'bother' of re-entering your card data.

melanie ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2001 at 7:54 PM

Citibank did cancel my account, I suspect for the same reason. Still paying off the balance, but I'm not going to reopen it as I have too many credit cards anyway, but I found this out the hard way. Melanie

Goldfire ( ) posted Tue, 03 July 2001 at 7:46 PM

Citi issued me a new account, and even overnighted it to me because I was leaving on vacation. They were very helpful.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.