Thu, Oct 10, 12:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: How do I make characters furry?

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 8:02 AM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 12:22 AM

I wanted to make a Michael character look more like an ape, so I need to know how to make him furry. Any tips?

brittmccary ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 8:46 AM

If you have a look at my teddy some posts below, you'll see that I have tried to make him furry. What I did... I simply painted the UV map with the desired color In Photoshop. Masked it, and applied Eyecandy Fur. Play with the light and curlyness till you get the desired effect. Save it as a texture. Then convert your texture to a grayscale image. Invert it, so that the background will be black. Add more contrast to it, - and save your bump-map. You can save it as a .jpg - as Poser will convert it to a bum file when you apply it to your figure. Then there is the material settings in Poser. lol I'm still fighting that, to achieve the nice fluffy look.

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 8:53 AM

Ok well as I'm still new to this I'm not real sure how to work with UV maps.

SiliCon ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 9:08 AM

you don't have to work with UV map,instead work with the original texture in photoshop. Don't forget to make a back up of the original one...

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 9:10 AM

So essentially spray some hair on in Photoshop and as long as I make a decent bump map it should show up as hair in Poser?

SiliCon ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 9:17 AM

well, when u render it'll give an illusion of hair (the bump map should be in grayscale with high contrast)

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 9:20 AM

How tough would it be to make something kind of like a clothing item that had what looked like hair coming off of it?

SiliCon ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 9:27 AM

file_221987.jpg

here's a a little furry fox that I've made in poser (no bum applied), I used the Eyecandy Fur filter for texture in Photoshop.

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 9:28 AM

Yeah but to me that's not really fur. I'm talking about gorilla fur which is real thinck and poofy.

SiliCon ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 9:33 AM

if you use a decent bum map correctly then the hair should come out nicely, don't expect perfection though, some thing Poser just can't do...

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 9:39 AM

I saw in Z-Brush that there is something akin to spraying on hair onto a model. Does anyone know if you can re-import a model from Z-Brush into poser and use it as a hair prop?

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 9:48 AM

file_221989.jpg

Basically I want the green guy in this image to be more monster like so I want to make him into a hairy brute.

wgreenlee1 ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 10:43 AM

ummmmmmmm,cut all your hair off and chop it up real fine,take and put elmers glue on your monitor screen where ever you see they guy youre trying to make hairy,then stand away from the computer,say,two or three feet and through it where ever you have the glue,then take a pic of it,scan the pic then email it to all of your friends,finally get all your white clothes on and stand at the doorway til the other guys with white on,show up and take you for a ride to the place where i live,the funny farm..................hehe :0 ;) :(

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 10:45 AM

umm yeah...

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 11:21 AM

Select the body part and type "hair"

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 11:22 AM

Did everyone take a larger helping of sarcasim at brekfast today? :P

X-perimentalman ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 11:46 AM

PhilC isn't being sarcastic, there is a unfinished feature in poser called 'treemaker" or some bloody thing, and if you select a body part and just type hair on the keyboard with no dialog box, said body part will try to sprout some kind of hair. if you run a search on this forums archives you'll find all sorts of information on it

ScottA ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 1:10 PM

Actually, The hair thing doesn't work very well either. The sad fact is that there isn't a good way to make hairy Poser figures. God knows...This has been #1 on my Poser wish list since forever. ScottA

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 1:12 PM

I'll use FurFur and see if I can get a desired result.

wiz ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 1:25 PM

ScottA, "good" hairy figures cost a small fortune in processor time and memory. To do it "right", so the hair casts shadows, you see through parts of it, it can move, etc. means that each "hair" has to be an object. Last "fur" experiment I ran used 40 polygons per strand of fur. (I define "fur" as fairly straight, sticky-outy hair). It took about 50,000 of them to get realistic looking fur. So 2 million polygons. That taxes even my 1.5 gigs of RAM system. There are techniques that can cut this down substantially. I've played with "meta hairs" where each 40 polygon object has 20 hairs texmapped onto it. This can cut the fur down to 5,000 metas, only using 200,000 polygons, about the same as the figure I'm trying to fur. Looking at a way of doing something more like koziburo's hair, having a program that can (once it figures out which way the figure is facing) generate arbitraty "sheets" of fur, so we can stack say 50 layers of hair on a figure. where each layer may be a 200 polygon object, getting hair down into the 10,000 poly range.

brycetech ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 2:38 PM

file_221991.jpg

booooo...hissssss :P you can do hair in poser... 'taint easy, and does indeed require a knowledge of uvmapping, modeling, and model creation... how to is here: http://www.posertech.com/tutor/fur1.html this is a 100% poser render. (no post work) BT

wgreenlee1 ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 5:20 PM

you know what would be cool?!is if the program that lightwave now ships with called sasquatch,its a plug in for rendering and its beautiful,would ship with poser5,now that my friends would be cool,im using it right now by means of demo with lightwave and its great,no save or id render you up a quick pic but if you get the chance check it out at newtek,cheers

SiliCon ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2001 at 5:19 AM

file_221992.jpg

Thanx for the tut man! I can always rely on brycetech...

Fracture ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2001 at 8:18 AM

Only problem for me is that in order to use lightwave you have to first buy lightwave and also buy the pro pack. That's way too much stuff to buy and it's all way to expensive.

Bia ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2001 at 9:52 PM

that bat texture is fanfreakin tastic!!!! :) Can you tell I like it!?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.