Sat, Sep 21, 3:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Have any of the ladies done any make up tutorials?

SothArtist ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 1:06 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:39 AM

I don't mean applying make up in photoshop. I mean as in basic good make up :) Something a man can understand hehe. I am trying to create a figure and cannot decide which colours I like or what colours will suit dark hair better and so on :)

SothArtist ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 1:17 AM

Also things like does eyeshadow go all the way up to th eyebrows.. and how far out from the eyes. Just simple things :)

leather-guy ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 1:48 AM

There are literally thousands of books and articles on makeup techniques in the real world, so it's no wonder I've never seen any linked to from here. Since it's not a strictly 3D-related topic, you'd be best served by doing a web-search on terms like "theatrical makeup", "glamour makeup", tutorials, and "how-to". I just typed a few terms into Google and found several simple step-by-steps within the first 20-30 mouse clicks. If you really want to learn about such, I recommend books like; Corson's Stage Makeup The Face Is a Canvas : The Design and Technique of Theatrical Makeup by Irene Corey Art and Science of Professional Makeup Aucoin's Making Faces Aucoin's Face Forward The Complete Make-Up Artist : Working in Film, Television and Theatre The Technique of the Professional Make-Up Artist And my favorite; The Brow (don't have a copy in front of me, or I'd give you the author).

SothArtist ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 1:58 AM

Yes thats very true! I guess i meant specifically for poser hehe. I will certainly have a dig around in google. It was a really dumb question when I look at it :) Thanks for that leather :)

leather-guy ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 2:22 AM

Nothing dumb about any question that brings you closer to your goal. I'm fairly familiar with makeup "stuff" from done SFX makeup and taught it for a while in the 70's and 80's, otherwise I'd likely be really clueless how to find anything. Once you get into it, a lot of it can really help in getting looks you want in 3D as well - so much of both is just "smoke and mirrors" ultimately (color, emphasis, accents, and shading to redirect and refocus attention).

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 2:36 AM

Actually, this is one of the better questions I've seen here. What you're asking, if I get it right, is a professional view of how to make makeup textures. Not the technical side, but the artistic side. What colors do women use (color wheel for their skin shade) and what moods are portrayed. This is indeed a very complex question but I suspect the basics are easy to answer if the ladies of the forum would care to share. Some time ago a young man asked what facial expressions showed female arousal. I was very proud of this forum for responding in a dignified and helpful way. There's been commentary that Poser is a snap together presto art program. Here you go folks. You have a chance to share something real in this thread. I too would like to know what lip gloss, eye shadow, eyelash color, and eyebrow color goes with any given skin type, eyecolor, and hair color/style. Think this is a tough question? Well, so is making a whole bunch of polygons and morphs work out to an image of a human face. No, not easy, but doable if you break this down to a formula. Yeah, no one likes formulas, but we need them for CG.

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 2:44 AM

Just as an observation... Eyes in the poser models tend to be centered as far as the iris/pupil go. Look at real people. You'll probably notice that the eyelids of most people just barely cross the top of the pupil. Do we see this in graphite? Yes! Do we see this in Poser? heheheheee.... go look at the gallery. Simple observations like that make a difference. So, how high up does the eye shadow go? How far out does it go (oh, please, not one of those wild wedgie things like the gal that makes my espresso in the afternoon). Do oranges work with brown hair? Does strawberry blonde go well with skin that has no tan? What if she has freckles?

TheWanderer ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 2:55 AM

Hi I bet Anton would love this question. Dave

Lyrra ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 3:02 AM

We've had this discussion before, as I recall. Search for threads here in the forum. Look for especially for makeup and PhoenixRising (aka Anton)..as he was a professional Hollywood Hair & Makeup guy he's the one to ask. Plus, as I recall, there are some makeup templates, guides and Photoshop colour pallettes in freestuff. Now me, I'm female ...and if I look for half an hour I might be able to find my lipstick .... grin

SothArtist ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 3:27 AM

Very cool leather! Your well ahead of the rest of us then :) Thats pretty much exactly what I was asking Eric :) As leather said its prolly all down there on the net. If some of the ladies wish to share some pointers it would be a cool start :)

SothArtist ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 3:29 AM

LOL Lyrra! touch'e!

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 5:27 AM

Hehe I'm female too and I don't even HAVE a lipstick. And the only make up I own is stuff to make me look vaguely like a bajoran.....

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 6:40 AM

Dittorooni. I'll wear face paint and henna, and the occassional black, blue, purple, or glow-in-the-dark lipstick, but normal makeup is just not something I've ever gotten into. I must be a weirdo (well, that's a given, actually, but...). I just looked in a mirror and my pupils are pretty centered. Eyelid comes I'd guess around halfway between the top of the pupil and the top of the iris.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 7:02 AM

I really hit the paint pots when I go to Science Fiction Conventions. Glamour means more than Hollywood beauty if you know your mythologies. I like glittery eyeshadows, and the opportunity to play. For business use, I paint the face so that it is not too obvious that there is makeup, but the result looks dressed and put together instead of raw-out-of-bed. The amount of makeup depends upon the time of day and the lighting, and whether I'm going to have to wear the same face all day and half the night. Bright sunlight is murder on a painted face (we can look a lot older), but full sun isn't good for skin anyway. I'll use a foundation: Covergirl ivory (being pale) even when hiking in the Yosemite high country because it has SPF 15 or something like that and lasts all day despite possible sweating. Flourescent lights make everybody look 3 days dead, so a bit of magic there helps cheer the spirits. Are you going to be under kleig lights? They are hot as well as bright and a film of powder is worn by men as well as women to give the skin a matte look under the circumstances. Bald men on camera have to watch out for chrome-dome effects, too! Even if no other makeup is worn, a faint dusting of powder will even the skintones and keep the shine at bay. (Do you want the viewers to see your eyes or your forehead?) Makeup is designed to draw the eye to what is attractive and away from what isn't. I have decent, interesting eyes and can make them look green or purple or blue with the right colors of shadows... yes multiple colors. I use liner and mascara. It is all illusion. My entire face is curved (late born children spend more time on one side or something during development) and I don't like the mouth... so there is neutral makeup there and no lip-gloss, no liner... just enough lipstick to cover. There are eyeliners and mascaras in different colors, but I haven't found a reason to go much beyond navy, brown, or black. A bit of blush on the cheekbones will enhance them and make eyes sparkle more. Ladies with a lot of pink in their skin (not me, but I have Irish friends) can use a green foundation to reduce the ruddiness while keeping the glow. Blush colors can go from orange through pink to purple, and you need to know and work with the underlying skin tone so that blush or rouge doesn't look spotted on top but as though the color comes from the depths of the skin! People with a steady hand can smooth the sides of the nose or jawline with a slightly darker shade of their foundation. (This ought not be so strong as to look theatrical unless you are in costume and need the effect.) A snitty bitch of a woman wrote a make-up book several years ago, declaring that blue eyeshadow ought to be illegal. Why? She has brown eyes and thinks the color looks fake. There is nothing wrong with blue eyeshadow if you have the right color eyes and skin. She also derided women who wear makeup matched to their clothing. Well, a properly-dressed woman knows what colors look good next to her face, so they probably look good ON her face! If I am wearing a purple blouse I might be wearing purple makeup, or the shadow tones which will make my eyes appear purple... my choice. Women will usually set a style of makeup in their dating years, say about age 20, and it will be influenced by what everybody else thinks is attractive (plucked brows, cupid-bow lips, yellow gloss, whatever) and they usually continue to put it on the same way decade after decade. (I'm guilty of this, too.) BTW, my eyelids are like FyreSpiryt's... but I thought this was normal! Carolly

queri ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 9:33 AM

There are certain colors that go better with different tones of skin. Tones of skin tend to be bronze, peach, olive, pink, ivory. Pink lipsticks and eye makeup only accent the pink and ivory skins. Earthtones, turquoises, neutrals like greys and browns work well with the other skin tones. Put silver with pink, gold with earthy tones of skin. Generally pink is the major dividing line. I'm not a big fan of blue eyeshadow cause I have blue eyes and it can make my eyes look pallid. Does the opposite for black eyes, brown eyes, green eyes. I've never know anyone but clowns, mimes and showgirls in the last row who wear eyeshadow all the way up to the eyebrows, Eyeshadow, like all makeup, tones and contours the face, a light liner accents the eye, then two or three colors that are similar on the eye-- lighter usually on the lid to make it huge, a darker streak on the crease to deepen and maybe a brush of very light shimmer sear the temple or near the eyebrow, but not obvious. I'm assuming anyone can do Gothic eyes, which can range in smokey colors from black to indigo to red to purple. That's the only case where the eyes are heavily outlined. For reasearch pick up a slew of Mademoiselle, Seventeen, Cosmo magazines. They always have make overs in them and a huge amount of makeup ads which have closeups of this season's makeup. Me, I don't wear it anymore. Emily

SnowSultan ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 9:38 AM

It might be a little OT, but the new V3 seam guides that I'm finishing up will now contain Anton's personal makeup guide for Victoria 3's face. Hopefully it will help, especially since Anton is very knowledgable about makeup. I'll be posting another message when the guides are actually available for download. Thanks, take care. SnowS

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

Caly ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 9:42 AM

I'm not heavy into make-up. I'm a brunette with dark brows and lashes, so I don't usually bother with mascara or eyebrow pencils. I lightly trim the eyebrows to keep them shapely, but I don't whittle them down. If I put lipstick on it's as if my entire face lights up, but oddly enough I don't wear it often. Special occasions, job interviews... on a whim. I prefer reddish browns, and a light gloss effect so you can still see my natural lips- it doesn't look like I painted a new set on. I usually do a mix- a little bit of the actual lipstick then a lip gloss to blend. If I'm feeling dramatic I'll use a brown or black eyeliner on the upper eye lid, just trace the eye and fade towards the outer corners. Rarely, if I'm particularly pale, I may add a light brownish blush so that the lipstick doesn't overwhelm my face. That's on the apple of the cheeks... fake a big smile and see where your cheeks bunch up. If I'm going all out (and I haven't in years) I would moisterize my face, apply a light transluscent foundation to help it look smoother, then I would do a shimmery french vanilla eyeshadow, cover the entire eyelid and fade upwards but not reach the brow. I would then use a smoky color around the crease, very lightly. Then the upper lid eyeliner. Then mascara that makes your lashes look thicker. Then blush, and the lipstick. I tend to prefer subtle, so I stick to grays, browns, creams, pale coppers. But now and then I get fire engine red lipstick and black eyeliner and play the vamp. If I'm wearing pinks I'll wear a pinkish-brown lipstick, or a coralish orangy pink gloss when the mood strikes me.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

RealitysPoison ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 10:43 AM

Ask a question, get a thousand answers...lol We all wear our makeup slightly tailored to what we like, what our face shape is, what we want to accentuate/hide, etc. I actually slightly disagree about the makeup up to the eyebrows. I do this, but it involves softer and multiple shades. A light shade that is in the same color family, but is not harsh just under the brow will lighten my eyes. When I usually wear makeup, it consists of A small, smoky-brown sweep where the liner usually goes, a deep shade on the lid, and a light taupish/white shadow to hilight under my brows. The shadow under the brow is not obvious unless you are close up, but it immediately changes the look. Then for drama, you can add a deeper color in the creases. Other occasions get similar treatment, only slightly different colors. After two hours agonizing before my wedding, I chose wine colors. Never wore them before, but as my dress was simple, I wanted to really play up my eyes, (And it matched my husband's shirt, so there to people who say you shouldn't match things. lol) And I must say, I looked pretty damn good...:D Most of us have one area we concentrate on. I play up my eyes. I have really deep brown eyes, so accentuating them gives me what my hubby calls bedroom eyes. I leave my mouth alone, or just apply a light gloss. People seem to like it how it is, and I just never recognize myself with dark lipstick on. And we pick up tricks along the way as to how to apply our blush, etc. I use a light sweep of a light bronze stick down the center of my nose. Picked this up from my modeling days. If I use the right color, that catches the light and makes my nose look thinner. (slightly) Styles come and go. Picking up any women/fashion oriented magazine will give you a good start. When I was in my late teens, early twenties, I did all my experimenting. Now I pretty much stick to tried and true with a little change here and there each time. Every now and then, I will pick up a new color just for kicks and giggles and see how it works. Everything is an experiment.

Crescent ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 11:13 AM

Grab a couple of ladies' magazines, maybe even a few teen mags. There's tons of makeup advice in them. They may not be as good as Hollywood make-up books, but it may give you more realistic results as not that many women use the Hollywood make-up books themselves.

Schurby ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 12:13 PM

Or do like I do cause I'm a guy and get a niffty little program called Cosmopolitan Virtual Makeover Deluxe. Take just the face into it and apply whatever and bring it back int photoshop and blend it into your face texture file, works for me..

Schurby

igohigh ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 2:42 PM

Very interesting topic, and wonderful responses! But now for the other 'real life' question: What the heck is in all those other potion bottles cluttering the bathroom? Or should us guys even dare tred down that path??!

SothArtist ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 3:43 PM

Some very cool responses from everyone! And thank you kindly :) When in doubt Meriadoc, Allways never ask about the 'other' potions cluttering the bathroom!

macmullin ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 5:26 PM

How to apply Eye shadows: http://geocities.com/FashionAvenue/2050/makeup/eyes.html How to apply Lipstick: http://geocities.com/FashionAvenue/2050/makeup/lips.html Eyeshadows which go with certain skin tones: http://www.sachacosmetics.com/eyeshadows.htm Lipsticks which go with certain skin tones: http://www.sachacosmetics.com/lipsticks.htm A list of Shadows that cordinate with eye color: FOR BLUE EYES 1. Tried and True: taupe, gray, violet, purple, deep blue (a darker shade than your eye color makes your eyes really blue), black (mix it with bright blue for a smoky effect) 2. Funky Favorites: silver, turquoise, fuschia (brightens any shade of blue) GREEN or HAZEL EYES 1. Tried and True: brown, apricot, purple, plum, deep khaki or forest green (because they are in the same greenish family, they brighten green eyes) 2. Funky Favorites: gold, lime-green, really light green, bright purple (super modern) BROWN EYES 1. Tried and True: copper, bronze, champagne (soft pink with a touch of apricot), brown (for a doe-eyed look), beige, and khaki-green (lighter shades add highlight) 2. Funky Favorites: tangerine, royal blue, hot pink, lime-green (the contrast adds punch to brown) ALL EYES 1. Tried and True (Classic): navy or charcoal base to define and a powder-blue shadow for highlighting (it brightens your brow bone so any eye color pops) 2. Funky Favorites: silver-sparkle shadow makes all eyes look edgy

AlleyKatArt ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 8:30 AM

file_58562.jpg

Lemmie find the makeup book I got just for this purpose. (Well, and so I could help a female friend for prom with BOTH of our makeups. Yes, I wore makeup to prom. Foundation.) Okay, one of the first rules is that with /really/ good makeup... You won't notice it that much, unless it's meant to stand out, like glamor makeup or goth. Makeup comes in two shades. Warm and cool(there are likely a lot more, now. This book is OLD). The cool colors have a bluish/grey undertone to them. Warm tones have an orangeish or golden/yellow undertone to them. 'Spring' and 'Fall' colors are considered warm, and 'Summer' and 'Winter' are considered cool. I've scanned the pallates for your viewing pleasure. Remember this is an older book, but it's yet to fail me. The one above is the winter palette. Feel free to download it for future reference.

Kreations By Khrys

AlleyKatArt ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 8:35 AM

file_58563.jpg

Summer Palette.

Kreations By Khrys

AlleyKatArt ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 8:38 AM

file_58564.jpg

Autumn palette

Kreations By Khrys

AlleyKatArt ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 8:41 AM

file_58565.jpg

Spring palette. I really hope these help!

Kreations By Khrys

AlleyKatArt ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 8:49 AM

As for makeup to the eyebrows? Personally, and the book agrees on this, you use three tones. You apply the highlighter first, over the entire area. If you want to take the highlighter color to the brow, but try to blend it with the skintone. You apply your 'shadow color' to the outer third of the eyelid, to just a bit below the eyebrow, and then apply the third shade to the area most people THINK has eyeshadow, the area above the eye to below the brow. Usually works. Of course, the book goes into detail on how one would do makeup for this or that eye shape. But in 3d... People ignore it anyway.

Kreations By Khrys

RealitysPoison ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 10:03 AM

lol Cause in 3D, the ladies are lucky. If they have a flaw they don't want, they just ask us to turn the dial a bit. lol To bad us RL women can't do that sometimes. :D

AlleyKatArt ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 10:10 AM

Nah, I mean that in making textures, unless they're for personal use, or you're planning on going 'lots of lid, very little brow' for your eye makeup... It doesn't matter too much, but it's little details like that that I think post male texture makers (and QUITE a few female texture makers) need to pay attention to. Neon orange eyeshadow does not mix well with fusha lipstick and bronze skin.

Kreations By Khrys

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.