Thu, Sep 19, 6:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 6:38 pm)

Subject: Poser 5 for OSX Now Available!

Curious_Labs ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 9:44 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 6:33 PM

Curious Labs, Inc. announces today it has released Poser 5 for Mac OSX, the eagerly anticipated version of their award-winning 3D-character tool for artists and animators. With this release Mac OSX users can now enjoy the benefits of Poser's poweful figure design tools that have previously been available on Windows.

In recognition of the ongoing support of it's Mac users Curious Labs is also pleased to announce 2 special priced offerings:

• Poser 5 for Mac OSX ESD Crossgrade from Poser 5 Windows for Only $129! - A savings of $190! (This time-limited crossgrade is available to those who've been using Poser 5 for Windows and now want to return to the Mac OSX platform.)
  • Poser 5 for Mac OSX ESD Full Version for Only $199! - A savings of $120!
    Find out more at www.curiouslabs.com

Just some of Poser 5 for Mac OSX key new benefits include:
All new highly accurate 3D human figures with fully articulated hands and feet, featuring photorealistic texture maps and facial morphs
Render breathtaking images or movies with FireFly, Poser 5's powerful new renderer. FireFly is a hybrid micro-polygon and Ray Trace render engine which gives
you control over the rendering process. Use Ray Traced refraction and reflection, powerful node-based shaders, render-time polygon smoothing, 3D motion blur and much more to output realistic final renders.
Grow strand-based hair on figures and props in your Poser 5 scene using the new Hair Room! Growth controls allow you to control aspects such as length and thickness. Styling controls allow you to shape your hair make it thick or
thin, straight or curly. Apply dynamics such as gravity to your hair to create realistic effects during animation.
Clothify your prop to transform it into realistic dynamic cloth complete with physics. Assign collision objects to make the cloth flow and drape around any object in your scene. Add the new Wind Force prop to create realistic wind effects for your animations.
Want to create a virtual you? Import facial-photos to easily model new characters and create texture maps. Poser 5s new Face Room allows you to create lifelike results by mapping any face onto a 3D head.
Poser 5s new Material Room lets you create amazing materials using powerful node-based shaders. Build a shader tree using one or more shader nodes. Combine procedurals, image maps, animations, fractal, and math nodes to create
virtually any material texture you can imagine.

Poser 5 for Mac OSX is initially available for purchase through ESD; details about a boxed version will be announced later. More information will be available at www.curiouslabs.com

POSER 5 FOR MAC OSX IS NOW AVAILABLE AT REDUCED PRICES.
BUY NOW TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THESE TIME-LIMITED SAVINGS!

• Poser 5 for Mac OSX ESD Full Version for Only $199 - A savings of $120!
  • Poser 5 for Mac OSX ESD Upgrade from Poser 1,2,3 for Only $169!
  • Poser 5 for Mac OSX ESD Upgrade from Poser 4 for Only $149
  • Poser 5 for Mac OSX ESD Upgrade from Pro Pack for Only $99
  • Poser 5 for Mac OSX ESD Crossgrade from Poser 5 Windows for Only $129
    A savings of $190! Buy now at store.curiouslabs.com

FIND OUT MORE AT www.curiouslabs.com
Poser is a registered trademark of Curious Labs, Inc. and EGISYS AG. All other products, company names and logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.

doerp ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 9:58 AM

Hey finally! I just tried to buy my update but I only found a version for WIN in the shop. Hasnt the (german) shop been updated yet?

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 10:26 AM

*ix is *ix is *ix... why not? /P

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 10:44 AM

...re: My wee crack about P5 for Macs not coming out until 2028. I now stand corrected in that regard, though the Bot-O-Matic that turns Aiko into a living breathing (and delightfully compliant) android had damned well better be coming out next! /P

dan whiteside ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 11:21 AM

Well, I just tried to get it and it found both my CL propack and my MC poser 4 serial numbers invalid. Didn't this happen to a lot of PC users? I've got an e-mail into sales on the matter. Best; Dan Whiteside

kupa ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 11:51 AM

Congratulations! You guys have worked so hard on this version, it's great to see the release. Steve Cooper

Lawndart ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 11:55 AM

Attached Link: http://www.3-AXIS.com

ALL RIGHT! Woo Hoo... Congratulations you guys! This great to here. Joe www.3-AXIS.com

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 11:59 AM

Congrats to the whole team from this side of the big lake too.

TalleyJC ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 12:12 PM

Pain is the coin of the realm. Welcome ye MAC victims, uh, users. Prepare to defend yourselves. There are plenty of "user error" or "it's your machine" comments headed your way. With your superior bright, beautiful monitors on MAC's you'll be better able to appreciate the true ugliness of Don and Judy. But on the bright side, you get to pay less to be a beta tester than we pre-orderers did. Maybe you'll have fewer patches unless a new security scheme has been installed. Don't worry about the content room. It was always a myth. If you've got two processors in your G4, your render times should only increase to about 3 times what you are used to.

MungoPark ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 12:18 PM

Why is the update from PoserPro in Europe 28 dollars more expensive than in the US ????? Is there one mouseclick more ???

MungoPark ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 12:20 PM

Why is the update from PoserPro to Poser 5 in Europe 28 dollars more expensive than in the US ????? Is there one mouseclick more ??? (I know........ we are a part of the axis of evil)

Lawndart ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 12:39 PM

TalleyJC: Can you please make a NEW anti-Curious Labs/Anti-Poser 5 MAC thread in the forum? That way you all can hang out there without cluttering up this announcement thread. Oh... and please start the thread right now to make sure that the comments are made about a version that nobody has yet. Thanks...

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 12:46 PM

Thanks Joe.

And now for some real information: The beta version of Poser 5 for OS X is running on my iBook for weeks now with good results, and I am glad that I can now pull the duct tape off my lips. In fact, my high activity in this forum started when I got the first beta and most if not all of the renderings and screen shots I posted here in this forum as well as large parts of my FireFly FAQ were made on this very iBook. The MacOS X version is for real and it works beautifully.

Stefan

PS: Two hints for MungoPark. Taxes. Fees for international money transfer and exchange.

TalleyJC ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 1:30 PM

Don't worry Lawndart. Rest assured I will remain silent when the bleeding (or bleating) starts. Hey, if you are one of the blindly loyal or somehow avoided the blood bath, I'm happy for you - really. But if you are to find fault with my stating my opinion for what the future holds, you must equally condemn anyone who praises a product that they don't yet own either. I loved P4 and made many investments in hardware based on the promises of what P5 didn't deliver and further was insulted over and over on user error and system configuration claims despite having been in the field for 20 years. (Oh well. Those same enhancements were applied to Lightwave.) If it wasn't a colossal disaster, Cooper and crew would still be there. Don't put your head in the sand and pretend it didn't happen. Don't tell me I shouldn't be concerned about fronting funds and beta testing for free without even being offered fresh install CD's as compensation at a time where a class action lawsuit could have easily erased CL from the planet. I'm sure the new crew is working hard. Harder than they have to had we not been abandoned while trying to help. With the competition of Daz Studio looming, I really hope it kicks them in the butt to get their act together. If not, this will be the Daz forum. I just think the MAC users shouldn't get burned like the INTEL users did by all the hype and High-fives.

duanemoody ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 1:35 PM

Michael Palin: I'd like to have an argument, please.

kupa ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 1:41 PM

I'd like to have an argument, please. OH! Oh, I'm sorry, but this is abuse. ;-)

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 2:15 PM

KUPA!!!! Good to see you in these parts!!!! 8-)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 2:21 PM

In all fairness, CL has been rather mum on the Mac port - none of the ungodly hype and froth that one found w/ the original release. It appears that CL may yet have learned it's lessons WRT pre-release marketing. Also, I don't expect the Mac version to be even a fraction as buggy, specifically because of the sameness found among Macs. They have one general type and architecture of CPU (as opposed to Pentium3/Pentium4/Celeron/Athlon/Duron/Cyrix), one very similar type of motherboard, memory type, video card handling, etc. Their software (OSX) is also fairly standardized, with only minor differences between them (as opposed to Windows 98/NT/ME/2000 Wkstn & Svr/XP/etc.) To top it off, there is only one manufacturer for Macs (and not Dell, Gateway, HP, Alienware, Homebuilts, etc.) To top it off, I strongly suspect that since Poser came from a native Mac codebase, the building and testing of P5 was most likely done on Macs, but ported to Win32 and grafted to a Win32 UI set once the core was finished. IOW, the Mac users will find it easier for P5 to work as advertised, and prolly better than the Intel users would. Note that this is not a sudden and ringing endorsement of Poser 5. Instead, I wanted to point out that in all fairness that Mac users stand a better chance of being satisfied with the results than the Wintel crowd did. /P

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 2:23 PM

I am also SO HAPPY to see Kupa here again! You're missed, you know!! Eventhough you probably don't me.... :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 3:50 PM

Dropped into CL the see how much computer we're gonna need to run P5 and here's the numbers - * Mac OS X 10.2 or later * 500MHz G3 processor (700MHz G4 processor or greater recommended) * 256MB system RAM (512MB recommended) * 24-bit color display, 1024x768 resolution * 500MB free hard disk space Now to see if a G4 processor will handle a logic board built for a G3 :-)

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

Quoll ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 4:23 PM

Too little, too late.

queri ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 4:59 PM

What processor were you running on your Ibook and will it work under Jaguar? Emily thinking about going crazy again.

bijouchat ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 5:05 PM

waaaaah, now I want to see the prediction of Carrara having a Poser to Carrara plugin come true... there has been rumour on the street that was to come next after the P5 OSX release... (is crossing her happy fingers!!!!)

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 5:27 PM

G3/500 and 10.2 aka Jaguar are the minimums listed by CL

davidgibson ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 6:10 PM

I just finshed a brief run of Poser 5 without a single problem. I well admit that problems may show up as I get deeper into the program, this first test had none. Unlike my adventures trying to run Poser 5 on a late model Dell. Baa Humbug Bill Gates. Dual 800 Mhz Quicksilver, 1.5 Gig of Ram, and Jaguar 10.2.6. I can't wait (next year I Hope) to try it on a G5.

wgschick ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 6:23 PM

ok... i've heard about a couple of potential problems with poser 5... and wondering if anyone can answer them. first: i have Gigs of stuff in my P4/PP runtime. am i doomed to reinstall hell? or is there some quick and easy way to "move things over". second: i heard a rumor that conforming clothes don't work as well in p5. is this just some bitter person, or are they confused with converting conforming clothes to p5 cloth? anyone? anyone?

wgschick ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 6:26 PM

that wasn't meant to sound bashing... i just want to know what i might be getting myself into... BEFORE i buy...

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 6:39 PM

P5 has the ability to have more than one runtime. You can leave your P4 where it is and P5 can hook up to it as an additional library (from reading about the Win version)

CrystalDragon ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 6:50 PM

The only problem I've heard with conforming clothing is with some of the new Daz stuff for V3. Those make use of cross talk to automatically dial in the morphs on the clothing. Cross talk is non-existant in P5, so you'll just have to copy and past the dial settings from one to the other. ~DM

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 7:05 PM

I'm pleased to see somebody has already been running P5X with some success. However, one thing occurred to me - when CL made this announcement, they weren't expecting a kind of Spanish inquisition!

duanemoody ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 7:06 PM

I'm debating trying to run this on The Warhorse (aka my 330MHz G4 enhanced 7500 which does run the current Jaguar, iLife and OS X/Classic apps just fine, thanks) and returning the results (wheeze). I can't prove it, but I think I have the slowest Mac here running OS X. Still, you shoulda seen it running Canon's photo stitch software this morning on some beaut 4 megapixel stills of the Canyon. Pretty quick, considering the bits being crunched.

wgschick ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 7:09 PM

i don't consider being informed about the potential pitfalls of software that has clearly seen better days in the intel market a spanish inquisition. me thinks ye have a touch of the melodrama...

CrystalDragon ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 7:28 PM

Almost forgot, there's two bump map channels in P5, a gradient bump map, and a standard bump map. The gradient bump map is for the older P4 style bump maps. The standard bump map is for P4 Pro and beyond bump maps. In p5, regardless of the type, bump maps default to the gradient bump map channel. You'll have to manualy switch the channels over if you want the bump maps to render correctly. While I'm at it, is there a script out there that will do this? ~DM

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 9:01 PM

Queri It's an 800MHz Combo iBook, 640MB RAM running 10.2.6. wgischick Just keep your existing Poser 4 installation with its runtime. You will be able to use the runtime from Poser 5 and just in case something doesn't work in Poser 5 the way you know it from Poser 4 you have the option of using the older version. No need to reinstall or move any files. CrystalDragonSorry, the material room is not yet exposed to Poser Python.

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 9:22 PM

Congrats on the release. I'm sure the mac users will appreciate this.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 9:37 PM

Very good news! Congratulations!!! I almost switched hard drives in my G4 last night, but the instructions said something about screws included with the new drive (which they weren't). I'll have to call Apple and find out what sort I'll need. Poser is the last graphics application I needed to make the switch to OSX. Time to upgrade this beastie! Hooray! Carolly

reiss-studio ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 9:59 PM

Attached Link: Reiss Studio, home of BodyStudio professional Poser Plug-ins

"they weren't expecting a kind of Spanish inquisition! " No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! (hehe... sorry, couldn't resist :) congratulations everyone on the Mac Release! We're looking forward to supporting it in some plugins. cheers! -Josh

timoteo1 ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 11:35 PM

Reiss: ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!! Why didn't I see that one! -Tim PS> Are you guys doing the Cinema4D plugin? I'm thinking about getting it after my huge disappointment with Vue/Mover4.

Richter ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 12:22 AM

crap, no Mac boxed version availible? is it better off to get the Mac version rather than the PC? owns both, and a linux mchine

reiss-studio ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 2:49 AM

"PS> Are you guys doing the Cinema4D plugin? I'm thinking about getting it after my huge disappointment with Vue/Mover4. " it's in the cards, more soon ;)

sargebear ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 4:11 AM

with all the BULLCRAP that CL has given us Mac users ( and too some PC users ) over the past year or so over their NEW POSER 5. and kept Promising this and that for the MAC users ( snice Dragon con 2001) and the posting here. and now i hear some CL folks whining :stop picking on us". you sound like a bunch of crying pups looking for a teet to suck on so you can try to grow., well this is one teet your not going to get. dont plan to buy P5, i did my research, found out a few things that P5 won't be able to handel on the OSX. but CL won't mention this to you Mac users, ( they know why, affraid you won't buy it). Even if it there is a another software coming out thats going to knock them into the ground. i can wait for this software to be released. at least this company keeps me inform, and are honest, and don't post little sticky notes like CL does,. good luck CL,, you were good at one time, until you slipped on the banana you were riding on.. word to the wise, dont buy P5 for OSX just because CL Claims it ready for release. remember in the past. they claimed alot of things, and took their ever loving time not doing any damn thing about it,.. think about the emails, calls, and all the other fustrastions you had when you bought P5 for windows.. and the misinformation they fed us.// now would you want a product from a company that doesn't know how some of us really feel about being lied too? i hear the LEGO company are looking for people who can put blocks together, maybe there is hope for you there.

xvcoffee ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 4:29 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12404&Form.ShowMessage=1352083

Don't despare Penguinisto, you're not the only one.

xvcoffee ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 4:39 AM

Attached Link: http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/mac/index.shtml

What about importing to Terragen?

stewer ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 4:45 AM

i did my research, found out a few things that P5 won't be able to handel on the OSX. Care to share your wisdom?

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 6:27 AM

One of the things that sargebear can't "handel" is the English language. His spelling, grammer, and punctuation leave so much to be desired that it is impossible to determine if there is any meaning under the bitching. Teat, not teet. (Teats are what you find under bitches.) You're, not your. Don't, not dont. Afraid, Not Affraid, Frustrations, not fustrastions. And so on.... "Even if it there is a another software coming out thats going to knock them into the ground." The sentence above makes no sense at all grammatically. I'd recommend shuffling all the word tiles a few more times until he manages to get a noun and a verb. My cat could do a better job! To whom is this diatribe directed? "Us" Mac Users? "You" Mac Users? The CL employees who are left? It just seems like a food fight with too many targets. I may be dyslexic, and on disability with this continuous migraine, but at least I'm literate... and intelligent enough to determine when some foul-mouthed ranter is chewing on his tongue in a futile attempt to convince reasonable people. Prosser (who wrote a textbook on tort law) speaks often of "the reasonable man". He never met sargebear. Carolly

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 6:44 AM

why claim to have some "inside information" about things poser "cant handle on OSX" and not post it ??? Lets hear it :-)

My website

YouTube Channel

sargebear ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 6:50 AM

well being a free country, i could share the wisdom. and as a man of my word, i promised certain People that i wouldn't reveal their names or thier compaines ( 2 compaines). so my suggestion is this, you really want the dirt ( or wisdom) on CL, then do your own DEEP research, and you'll be surprised what you'll might find out. CL isn't going to tell you everything, just that they have have P5 ready for OSX, with very little details about the specs. and as a free country, you can take this advice or leave it, it doesn't matter to me. i'm saving my money for the Best Product thats about to come out, not one thats going to be half ass filled with complaints in the future. its sort of time to stop putting all of our cash or eggs in One basket. Do your research, ( i mean DEEP) before you invest your hard working money into any software, mainly a company that has pulled your tit for soo damn long. to me, enough is enough.

sargebear ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 7:01 AM

to hauksdottir go teach school. if you don't like my grammer, or english, or anything else i say, then don't read it. or maybe your cat write for you and you can take a day off. this is a Poser form, not a English Class. if you don't like what you read, then turn the page. or turn off your computer. oh by the way,,, i am disable too worst off than you.. so let don't compare apples with oranges, ok?

stewer ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 7:01 AM

We did not ask for names or companies. We want to know what the things are you wrote that Poser 5 were unable to handle on OS X. How do you expect us to believe you if you don't provide any evidence? As you wrote that you don't intend to buy Poser 5 for OS X, I assume you haven't too much first hand experience with it.

wgschick ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 7:46 AM

stewer, that's the feeling i'm getting from sargebear. someone obviously feels burned by previous purchases. i'm concerned with what may not be working in the software as well, considering the history of the product. but it IS a cool product, and I may just wait 'til some other brave souls buy it and post some reviews. it's really too bad there isn't a downloadable demo to try out. i think that would go quite a ways with the mac folks. lastly, it's childish to critique people here on their communication skills. we're all different ages, come from different cultures and countries, and all have unique strengths and weaknesses. verifying facts is one thingimmature, misplaced attacks are another entirely.

papabahr ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 7:49 AM

to Hauksdottir, Sargebear has been around for quite some time, and is on speaking terms with staff at several companies. Sometimes he hears whispers under the table which he wants to share, but he cannot reveal specifics. Does he have poor grammar? Yes. But he was shuffled in and out of various institutions as a child; the doctor told Sargebear's father that he had idiopathic seizures. His uneducated father took this to mean he was an idiot. His father did everything possible to get rid of him, he called him every conceivable evil name, tried to place him in any institution to be rid of him. Uneducated? He attended school, but he was so doped up on anti-seizure medications that he could barely stay awake, much less concentrate on academics. Does he sound angry? He suffered beatings by his father and the worst abuse imaginable. He finally fled and lived on the streets for several years, living as only a person on the street knows how. But since then, life changed for him. He learned photography with an old Canon A-1 and began looking for beauty rather than ugliness. He became a photojournalist, selling photos to professionals and then to restaurants and resort communities. Later he lived alone on meager SSI - he learned the computer with no help from anyone. He learned 2D and 3D programs. He learned Bryce and Poser and Photoshop and more. He created beautiful images as he tried to escape the nightmares which reminded him of how his own father wanted him dead. But what about now. Sargebear is known for encouraging struggling artists, sharing his time, his knowledge, his materials, anything he has - and expecting nothing in return. Yes, he has a reputation for being crude, but he is honest. He says what he knows and what he thinks. He is respected by various artists, modelers, texture artists, and companies - as someone who doesn't lie. If you want to hear opinions about products and software, you will hear it here. I think the opinions are intelligible even if the punctation and spelling are imperfect. But if all you want to do is correct grammar and spelling, go teach in elementary school where you can grade all the papers, circle the mistakes in red, and write big F's on the papers. I think Renderosity has a Writer's Forum - go check it out.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.