Thu, Sep 19, 10:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: Poser 5 for OSX Now Available!

stewer ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 7:56 AM

So far, I couldn't find any non-functional parts in Poser 5/OS X, but two things that work better than in the Windows version: 1. The Poser window doesn't get obstructed when you render something and switch to other Windows. 2. all keyboard shortcuts are available with the parm dial palette as the active window. I suppose both of these features come for free with OS X - OS X is automatically buffering every windows' content and OS X is defining keyboard shortcuts and menus application-wide and not per-window like Windows usually does.

Caly ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 7:57 AM

um.... Ooooook. :D Sorry stewer, appreciate your offer of help, but you kind of work for the company. I'm looking for input from regular users. I'd like to know if anyone with a G4 400 has used the program. For those that have purchased it already, can you post how it goes and what your system set-up is? How's the cloth room?

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

wgschick ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 8:00 AM

heh... "write big Fs" but seriously. what's the deal with p5 and osx? and ya know... this nonsense about "DEEP" research is just that. if all that you just said was true, then sargebear has information that the rest of us do not have access to. all that post did was frustrate and anger some people, and raise questions with others. i CAN'T believe that sargebear can't put ONE THING he believes is wrong with p5 in here. so that's why the rest of us THINKING mac users have to take what CL says, what sargebear says, and what everyone else sayswith a grain of salt. no one has any facts, or information to back it up. you can't just say that something sucks, and then not provide points to prove it. yes, sb says to take into consideration how intel users were burned, but we're not intel users, and some mac users might even have cause to rejoice that intel users were burned. the proof is in the pudding. CL can with let the thirteen people buy p5 and tear it up on here, or they can put out a demo and let us all decide for ourselves. except of course for that guy before... hucksdaughter... who wants to teach english.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 8:03 AM

To seargbear: I have no intention of upgrading from ppp4 to poser 5 so i have no Dog in this "fight " I just wanted to hear what issues might be out there for my MAC brothers :-)

My website

YouTube Channel

wgschick ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 8:06 AM

so this didn't make sense: "CL can with let the thirteen" i meant CL can let the thirteen not sure how that snuck in there. i'd better enrol in hucksdaughter's eng class...

Kolschey ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 8:48 AM

wgschick ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 8:50 AM

well said!

dan whiteside ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 8:51 AM

I've posted my first thought on P5X over on the Mac forum, if anyone's interested. Best; Dan

JohnRender ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 9:01 AM

Well, okay, it's now avaialble for $99 yet... Things to keep in mind before purchasing: 1) If history repeats itself, P5 for OSX will be $50 to $100 cheaper by December. 2) If history repeats itself, P5 for OSX will be on sale at Amazon.com for $99 by March. And you'll get a printed box, a CD, and a printed manual. And I ask you... where was the "California Dreaming (for Mac)" thread, showing off a pre-pre-pre-beta P5 running on a G5? Where were the advertising posts offering P5 at a "special, pre-order price"? Where are all the "I got my copy!" and "I'm installing it now!" messages? This place has been suspiciously quiet about P5 for the Mac since it's been released. Conversely, there haven't been any threads about people not being able to register, missing content on the CD, malformed XML parsing, or other installation problems.

wgschick ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 9:16 AM

a whole butt load of people over in the mac section are psyched about p5 and ready to whip out their wallets. i still can't find anyone who's actually bought it and installed it tho. can i say "butt load" here?

Quoll ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 1:30 PM

can't just say that something sucks, and then not provide >points to prove it. yes, sb says to take into Sure you can. World governments, corporations and the nightly TV news do it all the time, and people accept that. ; ) And in the end, "facts" are not nearly as usefull to most decisions and feelings and outcomes. Seriously though, there are a lot of people around who are under contracts and other obligations not to share certain information. You shouldn't jump on anyone to quickly and assume they don't know what they claim, no matter what the delivery format or quality. > whole butt load of people over in the mac section are >yched about p5 and ready to whip out their wallets. i And there are also a "butt load" of Mac users who have moved on to other applications, and simply will never be coming back to Poser. They did loose a lot of customers for good.

wgschick ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 2:13 PM

quoll... all good points. but i'm not going to sell myself short just 'cause someone else tells me to. i didn't vote for bush and i'm still waiting for the location of the WMD. ;) viva Elvis!

duanemoody ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 4:50 PM

"dont plan to buy P5, i did my research, found out a few things that P5 won't be able to handel on the OSX" "well being a free country, i could share the wisdom. and as a man of my word, i promised certain People that i wouldn't reveal their names or thier compaines ( 2 compaines)." SB: I've had to keep my mouth shut here more than once about behind-the-scenes stuff at CL I knew (both technical and political), so I sympathize. However, I can't add your two quoted statements above and get "I can't tell you what the problems are." If I've taken your quotes out of context I apologize in advance.

wgschick ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 5:13 PM

naw. you hit that one right on the head. i think we'd covered it before, but it certainly never hurts to beat this kind of dead horse...

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 5:43 PM

"I may be dyslexic, and on disability with this continuous migraine, but at least I'm literate...

But don't forget "self-righteous nay-sayer", who seems to delight in attacking anyone who has a dissenting opinion about Curious Labs or any of their products. Believe me, I now, I was victimized ... eerr, rather, "hauked" by Carolly (hauksdottir) when I had the "nerve" to complain about the overtly-buggy first release of P5. But I was "just a moron who didn't understand the software." Yeah, ok. Time is the great vindicator.

I must say though, she's topped herself this time. Actually criticising someone for spelling/grammar? Wow, that's like one of those cardinal sins of message board etiquette ... like typing with ALL CAPS. Sheesh! That's pathetic.

But anyway, Sarge, don't take it personally ... must be the migraines ... you weren't the first, and you certainly won't be the last to be chastised by Carolly.

Speaking of migraines ... Disability for a migraine?!? Yet you have no problem constantly working on a computer and posting on the forums. AMAZING. Then we wonder why taxes, insurance, etc. keep skyrocketing.

stewer ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2003 at 4:54 AM

Can't you take your personal stuff someplace else and try to stay on topic? We're all down-to-earth individuals, outspoken, kind, and generous and don't have any reasons to verbally smash each other's heads like barbarians. Maybe someone who bought Poser 5/OS X figured out the "few things that P5 won't be able to handel on the OSX" and can tell us about them.

xvcoffee ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2003 at 8:33 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1373251

Most likely the person is bound to a confidentiality agreement which will prevent them from revealing this info. In whichever case the application is being run at this very moment by users with the patience (and bandwidth) to download it who are recording their findings in the Macintosh forum and in the above thread. Should they find anything it will no doubt be posted there. If they dont find it? Well, I once worked with a person who used to boast about his car, one day he was more vocal than normal and we were to find out why. He had fitted his behemoth with a GOLD PLATED CLUTCH PEDAL. Everyone was amazed, except one. Another had gone one better, his car already had a GOLD PLATED CLUTCH PEDAL fitted STANDARD to his make and model. This didnt worry him one bit, nor did the other one who had a car yard where he was selling certain cars with this uncommonly functional accessory already fitted as a promotion and another simply adapted one from another make. Even the hapless owner of a very early model of an obscure make was not to feel left out for long, because he was told he could simply MAKE one, which he set about to do. It was the land, and the age, of the GOLD PLATED CLUTCH PEDAL. Why on earth would someone NOT be propelled into fitting this wonderous item to their coupe? It beggered belief! Still, he was not convinced. The only one of them bar a few who actually had his licence and hadnt stripped the gears or was unable to get it out of first would not be like the other 39 (Whoops! I think that was the number?) and purchase, adapt, or otherwise construct a GOLD PLATED CLUTCH PEDAL for his car. Why? Because it was a smegging automatic. Any problems these meatheads had with their cars almost always related somehow to these stupid GOLD PLATED CLUTCH PEDALS.

Thor ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2003 at 10:05 AM

The Penguin speaketh wisely. I can't imagine that any right-thinking individual would prejudge P5X based on P5Win user's experiences. Consider: Bryce 2 for Windows was the buggiest, hardly useable, most craptacular piece of sh^h^h garbage to ever exist. Bryce 2 for Mac was arguably the best version of Bryce for ANY platform EVAR. I've been using P5X since I downloaded it Thursday morning, and so far... (very minor niggles aside) I've found it to be a compelling upgrade from P4. See the thread coffee linked to. Of course, ymmv. If I gave a crap about politics, I never would have switched to the clearly superior Internet Explorer 5 from Netscape 4.7 back in the day. I use Mozilla now. ;)

Richter ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2003 at 11:02 AM

Mozilla owns =P

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2003 at 11:11 AM

Yes, yes it does :) (Konqi isn't bad either, but it doesn't help much if you're using the 'doze...) /P

duanemoody ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2003 at 1:31 PM

Should we measure unpleasant downloads in Smegabytes? (ducking)

Quoll ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2003 at 6:20 PM

I can't imagine that any right-thinking individual would >prejudge P5X based on P5Win user's experiences. Well, certain right-thinking individuals who understand software development and porting issues could very well pre-judge on exactly these reasons. Anyone, enough from me. Good luck all. ; )

xvcoffee ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2003 at 7:08 PM

Problem is that Bryce for Mac is no more and Terragen is on the horizon (well its sort of here actually), which is happening a lot. Mac users now have Safari but soon wont have Explorer, and Apple is offering trade ins of old versions of Premier for new versions of Final Cut Pro. Except that in this same environment CL has released a Mac version of Poser 5, not that theres a Mac only application that can do the same thing, unless P5OSX is really Poser 6, even so Curious Labs deserve credit for their patience and diligence (and thick skin). True FCP is a clear favourite over the Premier but not sure if the other two examples have closed the gap. duanemoody - yes, lets

xvcoffee ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2003 at 8:43 PM
xvcoffee ( ) posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 5:00 AM

file_70551.jpg

Better hurry!

duanemoody ( ) posted Thu, 14 August 2003 at 1:23 PM

Microsoft stopped developing Explorer because with Jaguar, Apple did the same thing with Web Services that Microsoft had been doing for years: built it into the OS. Explorer for Windows is an app which reuses mostly OS-level services including HTML rendering. So is Jaguar. Notice that both Apple and Microsoft ditched proprietary help file formats for HTML-based ones? iTunes 2 now has an entire browser of its own for surfing the iTunes store. Explorer for Mac requires either continuing to reinvent the wheel and build your own product on it, or reuse Apple's services which means essentially Jaguar with another name. I don't blame Microsoft for getting out of the way on this matter and letting Apple do the same thing they did. Adobe's choices are a little stupider, but they're having to compete with an application written by the OS's developers (the same edge Microsoft got roasted by the DOJ for). Note that they're keeping all the other graphics apps in a current life cycle, markets Apple has no interest in.

Quoll ( ) posted Thu, 14 August 2003 at 3:21 PM

Yeah, Apple is really only developing software in areas where no one else did, or the current offerings were sub par. IE had not been updated in a couple of years, Safari is modern, faster, tabbed, etc. Premier is prosumer, Avid is too expensive, so in come Final Cut Pro and Express. Nothing more than strengthening the offerings and keeping the brand alive going on here. I'm also not concerned with Bryce, etc being cancelled for Mac, because Alias produces Maya, Newtek produces Lightwave, and many other high end companies are committed to OSX development as well. And there are still lots of alternatives in the hobby and prosumer market.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 14 August 2003 at 5:30 PM

And terragen is now on OSX and produces very photo realistic outdoor scenes

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.